Share Facebook

11-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Has anyone used splenda to bake?

I bought some splenda to hopefully use for Christmas baking. But, have never used it other than for tea. I've heard that if you use splenda/fake sugar only then your baking will be flat. So, am hoping to use it with a mix of regular sugar. Does anyone know what demensions of each to use?

Thank you

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
11-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Here's something I found. Did some googling after posting and am sharing what I found. We're thinking that my mom & sister are pre-diabetic and I do better without so much sweet stuff that's why I'm looking to try this. If you find anything else other than what I see, I'd still appreciate your info and thoughts.

http://www.diabeticlifestyle.com/sug...s-your-cooking
11-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Here's another website I found.

www.recipes.splenda.com
02-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
ReeSquee

...I thought that we were supposed to avoid fake sugars?? Or is splenda OK? I used to be a sweet'n'low person, so I'm hoping this is a safe alternative!
02-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
Axelfl3333

I watched a programme on channel 4,very interesting it's about how food is produced.there was a segment on sweeteners the presenter went to Brazil to investigate,miles into the middle of nowhere to a huge farm no chemical factory in sight!picked leaf of a plant tasted it easily 10 times sweeter than sugar,crushed the leaves boiled them a few times was left with a white powder aka low cal sweetener no chemical soup.same process for stock cubes by the way,very interesting
02-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
The issue isn't with all fake sugars, but there are some that can have ill effects.

Sorbitol is used quite extensively in sugar free gums, it also acts as a laxative in high doses. Actually any sweetener in the sugar alcohol family (xylitol is another big one) can cause GI distress, usually diarrhoea.

Splenda is sucralose, (mixed with a couple of things) which is derived from sugar (sucrose), The sucralose portion is very small and indigestable so it passes through your system. It's also heat stable which is why it works for baking.

A good rule of thumb is to try and stay way from any sweetener ending with "itol" and aim for those ending with "ose" are fine (maltose, lactose etc) unless you have in intolerance.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

02-19-2014, 02:08 AM   #7
wildbill_52280

splenda(sucralose) may actually be a cause of ibd, see the research section. etiology of inflammatory bowel disease is the thread.
02-19-2014, 03:13 AM   #8
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
I think I would lean toward Stevia (even if the taste might be different) rather than using splenda for anyone looking for a safer sweetner.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)

Last edited by PsychoJane; 02-20-2014 at 03:19 AM.
02-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
In regards to the issue of sucralose causing IBD, the research just isn't there. There are some interesting theories regarding it, but the studies have been far from conclusive, even then they generally look at artificial sweeteners as whole (aspartame, cyclamates etc)

Sucralose as a product doesn't breakdown in the human body, as such just passes right through. Because of this some people with IBD might have issues with it, in the same way that some people have issues with insoluble fibre. Considering that there is a genetic portion to the disease that requires an environmental trigger, and the body is unable to process sucralose it is possible that some people may have had sucralose as that trigger. While I do agree with PsychoJane above that stevia is a better choice if one is looking for a sugar substitute, in larger quantities it can cause a mildly bitter taste.
02-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
ReeSquee

I think I would lean toward Stevia (even if the taste might be different) rather than using splenda for anyone looking for a safer sweetner.
my mom grows a stevia plant, she said you can just put the leaves in your tea and it will sweeten it. SO COOL!

as long as it doesnt taste like real sugar, I will be happy. I became addicted to that fake-sugar flavor. So I think it's extra interesting that fake sweetner might cause IBD.... maybe my diet caused it.
02-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #11
Olive.

My Support Groups:
Watch out when you are buying stevia! A lot of the stevia sweeteners are not all natural. It is more to get extract or get it straight form the plant, but it is good and you aren't putting bad stuff in your body! Not sure how it would work for baking though.

I use raw honey in baking. Not sure it would be a great choice for pre-diabetic people but it does have anti-bacterial properties, which is nice if you are suppressing your immune system.

Currently on budesonide and immuran
NEVER taking prednisone again
Interested in holistic therapies

I blog about immune diseases here! :http://mytreeandleaf.wordpress.com/