Share Facebook

01-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #31
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
My roommate just told me today that I was getting color in my face. I AM SO HAPPY THAT SHE SAID THAT!!

Not that I need any motivation to keep going, but WOW, can't believe I actually got an off hand comment like that!!
02-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #32
serrickson

My Support Groups:
That website is super helpful! I'm glad that the Paleo diet doesn't HAVE to include so many nuts. I've already stopped drinking regular milk & feel WAY better. I think I'm just gonna go for it and do the perfect diet! I like the idea of easing myself back into nuts after a while and seeing how i do....I'm hoping I can at least be able to have peanut butter or almond butter agian some day :/
Yeah, you're right, it's another one of those misconceptions about Paleo (& SCD too btw). It's an "all nut diet" or an "all meat diet" or whatever. A lot of people are looking to Paleo to lose weight, a simple fact.

But for ill folks, you more or less have to eat what you can handle. If you can eat a diet that fixes problems, as is the case with our son John, then have at it.

Our son was big on cashews early on, but quite frankly, now he doesn't eat many whole nuts. It was more or less a "nut and meat diet" for about 2 months--but he felt great!! So we went for it. Now, he's eating nut butter breads that I make for him, with Paleo apple butter. His total nut intake is MUCH lower, as is his meat intake, and if he does eat nuts, like I said, they are processed into butter by me. I do feel better about this.

Btw, my new thing with John's diet is that Omega 3:6 ratio. So obviously, if we're talking Omegas, we're talking NUTS. This topic has been on my mind for some time now as an area with room for improvement.

Anyway, a great way to solve a lot of issues in most diets, if one can tolerate them, is to add more veggies. John's veggie intake is going up, up, up!!! This makes me happy as it starts hitting the essence of Paleo.

I was reading an article the other week about the best/worst "diets" and Paleo was listed as one of the worst. People who aren't sick, just looking to lose weight, do the "diet" incorrectly. Trust me, I've got a now 10yo on it, and I'm constantly tweaking it. Paleo is tough. It's confusing, especially since so many Paleo sites give out inconsistent information. Again, this is why when I'm in a pinch and confused, I always reference SCD. Basically we're SCD, minus the dairy, in other words PALEO.

Cutting out the milk, the dairy, is big. It wreaks havoc on the gut for many folks and it's not just the lactose. One needs to consider the proteins involved, the fats as well, not to mention bad bacteria...

Perianal fistula: August '10
Upper/Lower GI: August '10
Prednisone: August '10 to November '12
AZA: August '10 to present
MTX: November '11 to present
Folic Acid: November '11 to present
Upper/Lower GI/MRI: January '13

100% PALEO: JUNE '13 to PRESENT

IN CLINICAL REMISSION SINCE JULY '13

Calprotectin high: 3000 (November '11)
Calprotectin low: UNDER TWENTY!! (February '14)
02-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #33
serrickson

My Support Groups:
My roommate just told me today that I was getting color in my face. I AM SO HAPPY THAT SHE SAID THAT!!

Not that I need any motivation to keep going, but WOW, can't believe I actually got an off hand comment like that!!

Our son started getting these types of comments as well. I really hope it stays this way for you because when John started Paleo, we could SEE and dare I say SMELL his changes. It's motivation to keep going and even be as strict as possible...

Great news, and I hope things keep getting better and BETTER!! Awesome!!
02-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #34
ReeSquee

It's been a bit of a challenge.... I feel like I can't really eat salads at all, just veggies that have been cooked til they are complete MUSH, or else I get a really bad stomach ache. I feel like I'm on a baby food diet LOL
I am feeling better for the most part, so fingers crossed. I will see if it keeps up for the next few weeks
02-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #35
hugh

My Support Groups:
It's been a bit of a challenge.... I feel like I can't really eat salads at all, just veggies that have been cooked til they are complete MUSH, or else I get a really bad stomach ache. I feel like I'm on a baby food diet LOL
I am feeling better for the most part, so fingers crossed. I will see if it keeps up for the next few weeks
Maybe you want to try some of the foods allowed on the SCD intro diet [1] or the GAPS intro diet [2].
Bone broths should be easy to digest and provide a bit of variety along with some nutrition.
They are both suitable introductions to paleo and if followed will probably ease the transition to a real food diet

[1] http://pecanbread.com/f/how/introdiet.html
http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html
[2] http://www.gapsinfo.com/gaps-introduction-diet/
http://gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html
02-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #36
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Our John won't touch cooked veggies. He insists on having them raw and separated, same goes for fruit... It's interesting reading how others eat!

Food is an amazing thing. I'm a runner, and although I don't eat a certain way due to health problems (it's my son with Crohn's) I still eat basically a Paleo diet before running--always! I eat fruits and veggies before I run, for breakfast and lunch, because I really notice the difference. When I have bread and/or milk--I lag on the treadmill and feel tired... Keep up on the salads!! They are a great source of vitamins, energy, hydration, etc. The sky is the limit on variety too.
02-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #37
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
Yeah, you're right, it's another one of those misconceptions about Paleo (& SCD too btw). It's an "all nut diet" or an "all meat diet" or whatever. A lot of people are looking to Paleo to lose weight, a simple fact.

But for ill folks, you more or less have to eat what you can handle. If you can eat a diet that fixes problems, as is the case with our son John, then have at it.

Our son was big on cashews early on, but quite frankly, now he doesn't eat many whole nuts. It was more or less a "nut and meat diet" for about 2 months--but he felt great!! So we went for it. Now, he's eating nut butter breads that I make for him, with Paleo apple butter. His total nut intake is MUCH lower, as is his meat intake, and if he does eat nuts, like I said, they are processed into butter by me. I do feel better about this.

Btw, my new thing with John's diet is that Omega 3:6 ratio. So obviously, if we're talking Omegas, we're talking NUTS. This topic has been on my mind for some time now as an area with room for improvement.

Anyway, a great way to solve a lot of issues in most diets, if one can tolerate them, is to add more veggies. John's veggie intake is going up, up, up!!! This makes me happy as it starts hitting the essence of Paleo.

I was reading an article the other week about the best/worst "diets" and Paleo was listed as one of the worst. People who aren't sick, just looking to lose weight, do the "diet" incorrectly. Trust me, I've got a now 10yo on it, and I'm constantly tweaking it. Paleo is tough. It's confusing, especially since so many Paleo sites give out inconsistent information. Again, this is why when I'm in a pinch and confused, I always reference SCD. Basically we're SCD, minus the dairy, in other words PALEO.

Cutting out the milk, the dairy, is big. It wreaks havoc on the gut for many folks and it's not just the lactose. One needs to consider the proteins involved, the fats as well, not to mention bad bacteria...
I'm thinking about starting to make some nut buttered breads.

I'm just afraid I'm going to start eating that type of stuff all the time, and start using that as a substitute for real bread. I have a very addictive personality. I'm not sure if I could eat that type of stuff in moderation.
02-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #38
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Maybe you want to try some of the foods allowed on the SCD intro diet [1] or the GAPS intro diet [2].
Bone broths should be easy to digest and provide a bit of variety along with some nutrition.
They are both suitable introductions to paleo and if followed will probably ease the transition to a real food diet

[1] http://pecanbread.com/f/how/introdiet.html
http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html
[2] http://www.gapsinfo.com/gaps-introduction-diet/
http://gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html
One fool-proof bone broth technique is to boil a whole thawed chicken as demonstrated on this website: http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietit...one-broth.html

I've used this exact recipe with definite success. It's SO easy and I use the chicken for BBQ, but that's just me. The chicken, boiled, can be a little soft btw. Our daughter LOVES it though for BBQ. She won't eat pork BBQ, but will eat this. Go figure. Two birds with one stone, BBQ one night for the girl, soup the next for the boy.

It can be a challenge to find bone-in beef cuts with lots of marrow nowadays. In Germany, one can find pre-wrapped bones just for broths, in the markets. But they also sell eggs and whole chickens door-to-door here, so...
02-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #39
serrickson

My Support Groups:
I'm thinking about starting to make some nut buttered breads.

I'm just afraid I'm going to start eating that type of stuff all the time, and start using that as a substitute for real bread. I have a very addictive personality. I'm not sure if I could eat that type of stuff in moderation.
Almond butter is so expensive. I make my own with slivered almonds--no skin and no additives. I can make an 8oz jar for less than $3 and not have to add oil or anything else! Just slivered almonds. Get them in the cheap big bags around the holidays!! I make the butter right in the food processor (just let the thing cool down every so often). You could add honey or whatever else.

Cashew butter is good too, cashews tend to be oily so it's easier on the food processor. Here's the recipe I use for almond or cashew bread:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/rochels-cashew-bread/

I use the same recipe for either cashew butter or almond butter. The almond butter version tastes sort of like whole wheat bread to me, if the almonds have skins processed in the butter. Without skins, i.e. from slivered almonds, it's kind of like a white bread. Not quite, but we're not splitting hairs are we?

These breads tend to be slightly on the dry side, I make homemade apple butter specifically for these breads and everybody loves the nut butter breads with apple butter in our house. My wife, who is picky but not Paleo, toasted some almond butter bread not long ago and loved it with apple butter, so it's worth a try!

Btw, homemade apple butter is stupid easy. Crock-pot it, you could even use plain no additives (no sugar) applesauce for apple butter. The key is to let the steam escape!!! Zero condensation means a nice thick apple butter. I just add cloves, cinnamon, and honey. I use fresh skinless diced apples, anything red in our house. Nobody likes green or yellow apples here :^)

I crock-pot the apple butter on low until it is really thick, mashing it at about 6hrs, then pureeing it in a blender by 8hrs. If it's still thin, I put it all back in the pot and cook some more with the lid off. I you want the recipe in detail, let me know...
02-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #40
ReeSquee

It's perfect soup weather right now, so I'm sticking to those. Feeling pretty good! I'm gonna play out the cooked veggies/soups things this week, and try some salad out this weekend when I can be at home.

Cashew bread looks super yum! Gonna have to try that. From what I've read, processed cashews should be pretty easy to digest.
02-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #41
serrickson

My Support Groups:
It's perfect soup weather right now, so I'm sticking to those. Feeling pretty good! I'm gonna play out the cooked veggies/soups things this week, and try some salad out this weekend when I can be at home.

Cashew bread looks super yum! Gonna have to try that. From what I've read, processed cashews should be pretty easy to digest.
The bone broths have a ton of benefits, they are so much better than the store bought stuff. They might taste a little different at first, but you're in total control of that. The cool thing is that you can just add water if the flavor is too strong, spices/veggies if it's too bland. Some people drink a cup, plain, at breakfast.

When talking broths, it makes me think about people who drink straight gelatin, yes gelatin, to heal their gut. More power to them! I don't know how ambitious you are, I know they make gelatin supplements, supposedly gelatin has a coating/healing effect on the gut.

If you're DIY with the broth, adding vinegar is critical as it draws out the goodness in the bones. The longer you let the bones stew, the more you get out. One can't skip or skimp on the vinegar. I use Bragg's apple cider vinegar for everything, including homemade dressings.

The cashew bread recipe I posted is very basic, you can see there is very little honey in it. Obviously, you can make changes. I stick to little honey when I make it b/c our son usually tops it with something, i.e. Paleo apple butter.

Getting these basic recipes down makes everything a lot easier, the problem with most Paleo/SCD blogs is that they have [mostly] extravagant recipes. The sites might be award-winning, but sometimes simple is better!!
02-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #42
serrickson

My Support Groups:
**UPDATE**

John went to the doctor on February 3, 2014. It's been 3 months since his last checkup and I just got his lab results back today! Continued good news:

Stool Calprotectin <21 mg/l & growth velocity increasing!

So we continue with Paleo!

During these past three months I've introduced honey and chocolate, making cooking soooo much easier for a 10 year old. Now I know I can keep these things in, and make other adjustments & additions. At this point, my biggest issue is keeping his BMI down, as his appetite will make your head spin. This is crazy!

The doctor still wants to continue with his regular drug treatment, 10mg MTX/week, 5mg Folic Acid/day after MTX, & 100mg AZA/day.

Remember, John had a nasty fistula at age 6, so this drug treatment more or less caters to that.

Again, Calprotectin is normal, so if you're interested in trying Paleo/SCD then here's an example of someone having great success!
03-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #43
MamaHenn

My Support Groups:
This thread is very informative to me. I'm so glad to hear that your son is doing well and growing. My son is 10 and we're just starting this journey (presently deciding on diet while he takes Entocort) and our biggest concern is his growth. Thank you for sharing.
03-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #44
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
Hi there, Just checking in on your success story. I'm hoping John is still doing well. I am coming up on 4 months of Paleo diet and am still doing well. No meds and no symptoms. I am exercising, babysitting my grandkids, and waiting for the snow to melt so I can get into my garden. Hopefully, my health continues to hold up.
Happy Spring!
03-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #45
serrickson

My Support Groups:
This thread is very informative to me. I'm so glad to hear that your son is doing well and growing. My son is 10 and we're just starting this journey (presently deciding on diet while he takes Entocort) and our biggest concern is his growth. Thank you for sharing.
Read up on HGH. If growth is a concern, get informed before the Dr. starts talking remission, then HGH shots. Our Dr. wanted John on HGH once remission was induced, but he's backed off since his growth has naturally bounced back.

I have a friend with 3 boys, all of whom cannot produce growth hormones on their own. She explained that once you go the HGH route, there are number of serious problems one might encounter.

If you are serious about diet, keep in mind that it's tough for kids. Really tough. Unlike adults, the social aspect is so hardcore (parties etc.) for one. Our son had a foundation of foods he already liked, for us to work with, that kick-started the Paleo trek we're on. Maybe that list had 8 things on it!! LOL! Anyway, we started over the summer, he was home with me since I stay home full time, and this helped tremendously. I knew what was working and for the first time could monitor him exuding positive changes. So if this is something you want to do, I suggest having a good plan. Keep notes! Ask lots of questions. It takes time, so be patient. And most importantly, you must be a super-shopper and creative chef. This doesn't mean "cook" as in our case, I always need fresh fruits and veggies at the ready. He has his favorites, and unlike the rest of the family, I cannot afford to run out--otherwise he has NOTHING to eat!!! I buy him nuts and apples by the short-ton for crying out loud. I make him these chocolate muffins like it's groundhog day. It can get boring and frustrating, but I've learned how to get creative and fun. I made a menu for us!! It's a big step.

I'll answer any question if you have any. I'm hardcore about immediately sharing with those who have kids, b/c this disease is hardest on them, so if you want to send me a message, I'll definitely get back (at some point at least). I'll try though!

I hope only the BEST for your son!!!
03-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #46
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Hi there, Just checking in on your success story. I'm hoping John is still doing well. I am coming up on 4 months of Paleo diet and am still doing well. No meds and no symptoms. I am exercising, babysitting my grandkids, and waiting for the snow to melt so I can get into my garden. Hopefully, my health continues to hold up.
Happy Spring!
John is still doing great. Not much has changed except I've tried to level off his weight, which was going north a little too fast!! I know things are still good, very good in fact, because of his hair, breath, sensitivity to cold, not to mention the appetite. His hair is so smooth now, and SHINY!! I just want to reach out and mess it up it feels so soft. His breath doesn't reek, thank God. And it's 25F in the morning here, and he wants to wear a T-shirt and his zip sweatshirt, which is a big, BIG, clue as to his health status. When he's sick--he's COLD! The appetite is always strong. He could eat all day. Still on the same basic meds, nothing too hardcore, I'm REALLY hoping these start to drop by this summer. Next visit to the Dr., in May, I'm going to ask to reduce or eliminate the drugs. That'll give me a whole summer home to see how he reacts!! As always, having a plan of attack!

I'm glad to hear you're doing great too!! I cannot tell you how happy that makes me feel because it's a level of validation when others say this is helping. Hey, maybe in some ways it's not the best diet, but it's a lesser of two evils. John eats a lot of eggs, maybe that's not so good, but having all that inflammation in his gut, was worse!! We're 2 1/2 months until John is officially at 1 year Paleo. Hopefully all of us can keep it going, find new and exciting recipes, and see what happens!

And good God, speaking of recipes, I've been making Paleo chicken nuggets in a fry-pan, and they're too good to be true! So be careful as to what you discover along the way :*)

Enjoy those grandkids, that's motivation enough to keep it going, beyond feeling better!! Awesome!!
03-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #47
lbligh

My Support Groups:
SCD made such a difference for my daughter, it was like flipping a switch (as I noted in another thread).

We have actually had a very easy transition, because her diet had been much MORE restricted before. She is thrilled to be able to have salad and raw vegetables, for example, which were not permissible according to the "low residue" regimen suggested by the doctor.

Today's big excitement was allowing bacon. My husband identified a SCD legal variety sold at our local ordinary grocery store: Gwaltney hardwood smoked premium bacon. It says "no sugar" on the package in large friendly letters!
03-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #48
serrickson

My Support Groups:
SCD made such a difference for my daughter, it was like flipping a switch (as I noted in another thread).

We have actually had a very easy transition, because her diet had been much MORE restricted before. She is thrilled to be able to have salad and raw vegetables, for example, which were not permissible according to the "low residue" regimen suggested by the doctor.

Today's big excitement was allowing bacon. My husband identified a SCD legal variety sold at our local ordinary grocery store: Gwaltney hardwood smoked premium bacon. It says "no sugar" on the package in large friendly letters!
AWESOME!! I love seeing this news, it helps us all push on further, and must feel great to share! Thank you for sharing this success, and I REALLY hope it keeps on, keeping on!!

Eventually we might head down the SCD route, as it allows certain things Paleo doesn't, like yogurt, as you well know. Paleo is basically the same thing (of course you know this too!) with a few differences, i.e. absolutely zero milk, but you have the same issues eliminating sugar etc.

I put both diets next to one another, adhering mostly to Paleo, but double-checking with SCD as I go. One discrepancy is definitely chocolate, which is the one thing I allow, 100% pure cocoa is good, 85% Lindt on special occasions. I restrict John's potato intake, so no potatoes, which most in the Paleo community seem to allow. It's hard, so I feel what you've been going through--but I also feel that SAME THING about the switch getting flipped. YES! We had that happen too. But when you commit to this, it's not like a crash "diet" after the holidays, it's a total lifestyle change.

Feeling better only makes the change easier. Once we gave it a little time, going hard 110% Paleo, it was like a switch.

Our son hates cooked fruits and veggies, so our transition hasn't been all that bad, he loves raw stuff so prep is simple. It's also made our other kids eat their fruits and veggies too, a huge positive side-effect. We're almost at a year now come June 1, and we're going to keep on this track.

I add in questionable stuff as I go based John's Calprotectin results. He hasn't had one over 48 since last May. He was in the 1000s in May, and since then I've added honey and unsweetened chocolate (Nov) and it's been great. I'm holding off on any more add-ins until the Dr. pulls him off his AZA and MTX. John has had a fistula in the past, so the Dr. worries about this...

Oh, and the bacon--LOL! It's such an experience when you finally find something that works and is in a regular store. I hear 'ya! I feel your excitement, trust me! We're in Germany, so we shop at a commissary and selection is rather limited. It is what it is, no complaints. However, we have NATO folks here from all over Europe, so they do have things these families eat too. Bacon is big here, so what they do is sell whole sections of pork belly as well as pork belly slices--which is indeed BACON! It's just not seasoned or anything. It's REALLY thick!! Very tricky to fry or bake since it's so thick [and the grease pops!] but the end result is unadulterated and good to chop into bits. The point is that you can always find someone who knows a thing or two about meat, somewhere, even in a chain store. The tricky part is finding them in the store! But I assure you, someone there knows how to help you...

I have to go onto the German economy for plain THIN bacon, but they tend to offer uncured things here more frequently for whatever reason. I can find an odd assortment of meats on the economy, like duck, rabbit, etc. Our German market is sort of like a Trader Joe's quite honestly, it's a regular grocery store, just a lot of things we don't usually see in US chain stores. Things like unsweetened coconut and unadulterated coconut milk are in the regular German stores, b/c people here cook with it a lot. In fact, it's cheaper for me to buy almond flour from the Germans, than the US store, probably because people here have been using it in traditional sweets/cookies for ages...

Again, I hope for continued success for your daughter, this disease is so hard for kids, it's nice to hear when they are doing better!!!

Last edited by serrickson; 03-14-2014 at 04:11 PM.
04-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #49
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
John is still doing great. Not much has changed except I've tried to level off his weight, which was going north a little too fast!! I know things are still good, very good in fact, because of his hair, breath, sensitivity to cold, not to mention the appetite. His hair is so smooth now, and SHINY!! I just want to reach out and mess it up it feels so soft. His breath doesn't reek, thank God. And it's 25F in the morning here, and he wants to wear a T-shirt and his zip sweatshirt, which is a big, BIG, clue as to his health status. When he's sick--he's COLD! The appetite is always strong. He could eat all day. Still on the same basic meds, nothing too hardcore, I'm REALLY hoping these start to drop by this summer. Next visit to the Dr., in May, I'm going to ask to reduce or eliminate the drugs. That'll give me a whole summer home to see how he reacts!! As always, having a plan of attack!

I'm glad to hear you're doing great too!! I cannot tell you how happy that makes me feel because it's a level of validation when others say this is helping. Hey, maybe in some ways it's not the best diet, but it's a lesser of two evils. John eats a lot of eggs, maybe that's not so good, but having all that inflammation in his gut, was worse!! We're 2 1/2 months until John is officially at 1 year Paleo. Hopefully all of us can keep it going, find new and exciting recipes, and see what happens!

And good God, speaking of recipes, I've been making Paleo chicken nuggets in a fry-pan, and they're too good to be true! So be careful as to what you discover along the way :*)

Enjoy those grandkids, that's motivation enough to keep it going, beyond feeling better!! Awesome!!
Serrickson, I am so glad to hear your son is doing great. I am also doing good myself. One day at a time as they say. I started this diet at literally the end of December because I developed Shingles because of my monthly Remicade doses. I am determined to get off this drug. I have a very serious case so if I can obtain med free remission with diets anybody can. I've been eating like this for 3 months, and have no plans on stopping any time soon.

Also, please share the chicken nugget recipe. NOW.

Also, what chocolate do you buy? I don't think it bothers me and I'd like to start eating chocolate covered strawberries.
04-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #50
hugh

My Support Groups:
Also, what chocolate do you buy? I don't think it bothers me and I'd like to start eating chocolate covered strawberries.
For chocolate i melt cocoa butter and add cocoa powder and coconut sugar to taste, then pour over roasted nuts or dried fruit (in moderation) and refridgerate
04-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #51
lbligh

My Support Groups:
I want the chicken nugget recipe too!

I love the idea of adding grated apple to meatballs and will try that soon.

I'm still experimenting with making fish sticks, which are favorites of my daughter. Cod works well, and the almond meal tastes fine for the breading, but I'm still having trouble getting it to stick well enough that I can turn the sticks over halfway through baking so they brown on both sides. Any ideas?

Last edited by lbligh; 04-04-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: addition
04-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #52
Jozo

I am new to the forum (diagnosed with Crohn's last month) and I just want to say I love this thread and find it very inspiring. So happy for y'all and grateful for the info - and I too want the chicken nugget recipe.
04-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #53
Yisraelit

I don't get it. I eat a ketogenic diet (90/20/90) and his doctor specifically said no to that and also said low residue and absolutely no raw anything and no nuts. So I'm guessing paleo would be out?
04-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #54
lbligh

My Support Groups:
Yes, we were told low residue and no raw anything and no nuts as well. I guess if that diet works well, people should do it. In our case it didn't, and practically the exact opposite diet (SCD) put my daughter into remission! It probably makes a big difference whether one has strictures or not.
04-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #55
hugh

My Support Groups:
I don't get it. I eat a ketogenic diet (90/20/90) and his doctor specifically said no to that and also said low residue and absolutely no raw anything and no nuts. So I'm guessing paleo would be out?
The diet that doctors recommend (low res, no raw etc.) is based on the belief that there is no direct connection between the disease and what you are eating.
The aim is to minimise discomfort and maintain 'adequate' nutrition (read 'shitloads of grain and sugar').
It is based on a two logical fallacies:-

-We don't know how to cure crohn's therefore There is no cure,
-We don't know how food interactions may contribute to the disease therefore food does not contribute to the disease,

both are total bullshit, and the most interesting work being done at the moment is into the effect of food on the gut microbiome, and the effect of the microbiome on health.
While it is still early, it looks like developing and maintaining a healthy gut bacteria pays the biggest dividend.

If ones sickness is gut centred (as opposed to gut related, which apparently they all are) then it is pretty hard to just switch to a paleo (or raw vegan) diet as the intestine (or parts thereof) is a bleeding ulcerated infected wound and a handful of nuts or a head of broccoli can be excruciating.

This is (one of the reasons) why SCD and GAPS have an introduction diet - To aid the transition from BRAT (bland white carbs and easily digested foods)
to a low-carb real food based diet.
There are a few doctors with a clue [1] but they are trained to give pills and only study about 10 hours of ('foodplate' approved) nutrition in the whole of their degree

I had a quick look at your blogpost and obviously you are on the ketogenic diet for other reasons, I hope it goes well for you.
Some people have thyroid problems with Very-Low-Carb but at 20g of carbs you should be fine.
Aitkins is only one version of the Ketogenic diet and you may find paleo to be a bit more balanced (there are paleo lunatics, just like there are lunatics latched on to all diets/philosophies, but Rob Wolf, Chris Kessler and Paul Jaminet are all good names to google)

[1] http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=48559
04-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #56
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Serrickson, I am so glad to hear your son is doing great. I am also doing good myself. One day at a time as they say. I started this diet at literally the end of December because I developed Shingles because of my monthly Remicade doses. I am determined to get off this drug. I have a very serious case so if I can obtain med free remission with diets anybody can. I've been eating like this for 3 months, and have no plans on stopping any time soon.

Also, please share the chicken nugget recipe. NOW.

This is AWESOME to hear b/c the more others share their successes, the more we're motivated to keep going too. So thank you! I really hope you stay on board, feel better, and get off the drugs. Keep us posted!!

Chocolate. Well, we cheat a tiny bit and use Lindt 85%. So a teeny-tiny bit of sugar, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. We've used this chocolate for quite some time and no issues at all. It's bar chocolate, very dark of course, and not all that cheap but who cares? It's basically our only cheat!!

We use the 85% because it's not alkalized and no milk/cream etc. Basically pure cocoa with a tiny bit of sugar. No soy and anything else. I eat it all the time too! We're in Europe so Lindt is everywhere...

I attached a chicken nugget recipe that I use, it's a little mild in flavor so you might have to adjust, but people tell me it's right on so...

The key is the pan and the oil. I use a cast iron pan and so we get a little iron and one heck of an even fry. People get sort of down on frying...but that's how 99% of chicken nuggets are done anyway so what's the big deal? Baking with an almond breading just isn't the same--totally not as "durable" as I say, and not nearly the kind of flavor to do the meal justice. Frying is FAR superior.

The oil. I use Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil. It's got a higher smoke point and this is important because you don't want to break down the oil by overheating it. I go for medium to just over medium heat. I fry about 5-6 on each side. You don't have to go nuts frying like a lot of people think you do. Not everything is stir-fry or deep frying.

I usually make 3 batches out of 30oz breasts. By batch #3 the residual breading burns a little, so watch it, maybe add a little more oil. If you use Bob's Red Mill almond flour, be careful because it loves to burn (in the oven too). I use a European brand that bakes and fries much better, and is only available here since it's a store brand.

Also, these nuggets need to sit a little, because not only are they HOT, they get crisp as they cool. So good! Give it a shot--they don't have that almond after-taste and all 4 of my kids love them so it's not just a meal for our Crohnie...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Paleo_ChickenNugs.pdf (28.0 KB, 14 views)
04-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #57
serrickson

My Support Groups:
For chocolate i melt cocoa butter and add cocoa powder and coconut sugar to taste, then pour over roasted nuts or dried fruit (in moderation) and refridgerate
I might have to try this although I'd have to order probably 2 of 3 items due to my location... This is a very cool idea!!

When I use chocolate in recipes it's always pure and Paleo legal, but every once in a awhile John gets some Lindt 85% b/c it doesn't bug him at all. Not much, maybe a square here and there. I guess this makes him about 98.5% Paleo!!
04-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #58
serrickson

My Support Groups:
I want the chicken nugget recipe too!

I love the idea of adding grated apple to meatballs and will try that soon.

I'm still experimenting with making fish sticks, which are favorites of my daughter. Cod works well, and the almond meal tastes fine for the breading, but I'm still having trouble getting it to stick well enough that I can turn the sticks over halfway through baking so they brown on both sides. Any ideas?

Try frying. People are SO scared and needn't be. We feed kids chicken nuggets all the time that are SET in veggie oil. Check Tyson's chicken nuggets sometime--set in veggie oil. I just don't get it.

Get a good olive oil with a high smoke point, do your research. Frying in olive oil is fine and not EVIL as some people claim. How do you think the Germans make such beautiful Schnitzel? To die for!! And it's not just pork either, they make Schnitzel, basically a huge chicken nugget, out of everything from chicken to pork to beef steak to turkey. Turkey is rather good btw. Our only problem is the breading, so enter-in almond flour, which loves to not cooperate. Enter-in frying!!

I use Bertolli Extra Light and it has enough flavor for us to do the job. I don't fry my nuggets like I'm stir-frying either, medium heat works so very well!! Get a cast iron skillet. We're not deep frying here, just enough heat to sizzle when you drop the nuggets in. You can test the oil by dropping a bit of water, a TINY bit, into the pan. Don't start out high and come low, bring the heat up until it's just sizzling when you drop the nuggets. Another test method is to drop some breading into the skillet. Cast iron and good olive oil are key as the cast gives you wonderful easy NON-STICK heat and the olive oil provides a nice flavor, even if it's light. The cast is also giving you iron!!!

I fry up nuggets and 4 of 6 of us put it on salad in our house. Very nice, very motivating for our Crohnie too.
04-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #59
serrickson

My Support Groups:
I am new to the forum (diagnosed with Crohn's last month) and I just want to say I love this thread and find it very inspiring. So happy for y'all and grateful for the info - and I too want the chicken nugget recipe.
I wish you the most success on this Crohn's journey! There is so much information out there and so many questions, but the good thing is that there are just as many people wanting to help. I pray that whatever path you take works out well for you!!
04-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #60
serrickson

My Support Groups:
The diet that doctors recommend (low res, no raw etc.) is based on the belief that there is no direct connection between the disease and what you are eating.
The aim is to minimise discomfort and maintain 'adequate' nutrition (read 'shitloads of grain and sugar').
It is based on a two logical fallacies:-

-We don't know how to cure crohn's therefore There is no cure,
-We don't know how food interactions may contribute to the disease therefore food does not contribute to the disease,

both are total bullshit, and the most interesting work being done at the moment is into the effect of food on the gut microbiome, and the effect of the microbiome on health.
While it is still early, it looks like developing and maintaining a healthy gut bacteria pays the biggest dividend.

If ones sickness is gut centred (as opposed to gut related, which apparently they all are) then it is pretty hard to just switch to a paleo (or raw vegan) diet as the intestine (or parts thereof) is a bleeding ulcerated infected wound and a handful of nuts or a head of broccoli can be excruciating.

This is (one of the reasons) why SCD and GAPS have an introduction diet - To aid the transition from BRAT (bland white carbs and easily digested foods)
to a low-carb real food based diet.
There are a few doctors with a clue [1] but they are trained to give pills and only study about 10 hours of ('foodplate' approved) nutrition in the whole of their degree

I had a quick look at your blogpost and obviously you are on the ketogenic diet for other reasons, I hope it goes well for you.
Some people have thyroid problems with Very-Low-Carb but at 20g of carbs you should be fine.
Aitkins is only one version of the Ketogenic diet and you may find paleo to be a bit more balanced (there are paleo lunatics, just like there are lunatics latched on to all diets/philosophies, but Rob Wolf, Chris Kessler and Paul Jaminet are all good names to google)

[1] http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=48559

Well said. "Science is for sale" as I always say. Our GI specialist is a 100% pill-pushing-physician.

In our case, our biggest concern weren't strictures, it was re-occurring fistulas. So I figured we were safe on raw and nuts, at least in terms of acute pain. And we were fistula free for maybe 2 years. Paleo looked good.

One week John ate 3 pounds of cashews. THREE pounds. Did I need any more justification? He was 9yo. Someone on here noted that he might have had a magnesium deficiency. Probably, it's not in one blood test, so who knows? But anyway, once on Paleo, his appetite took over. As I always say, the change was that dramatic. I gave him a set of guidelines and said "have at it kid". For the first few months he ate like we had starved him.

Excuse me, we WERE starving him based on what we were advised to do.

We NEVER gave his body a chance to home-in to what it needed. The countless pounds of burgers John ate, the nuts--the two BIGGEST GI nutritional deficiencies you can think of (magnesium and iron) accounted for on Paleo--the MOST restrictive diet!! HA!! It was like his body screamed for these foods. Crazy when I look back on it now, nearly a year in.

We don't give the body much credit. It's rather smart. Why put so much faith in modern doctors when most don't even take classes in nutrition during medical school? We've lost the art of listening to our bodies. We let technology do it for us. We've lost the sensibility in how we eat and how it impacts our bodies. It's much easier, or at least perceived this way, to walk into a fast-food doctor's office and come out with a script. It's BS.

My father-in-law had extreme skin issues about 6 years ago. Turned out he was Celiac. Anyway, he went to several GPs for months with no answer. It took a 20 year old nurse's assistant at a dermatologist's office to recommend gluten free. He's been dermatitis free for 6 years now. The point is that a good portion of our medical problems don't take rocket science to fix. I think that for some Crohnie's the answer is indeed this simple. I think our John fits this profile, for the time being at least.

As for nuts--the answer IS simple here as well!!! Why go through the process of digesting chunks and bits of nuts when you can most certainly PROCESS them?!

This is what kills me--YOU CAN EAT NUTS!!! Get a food processor, grind the suckers but please don't burn out your machine. Throw it in the fridge, then go back 10 minutes later. I make cashew butter, almond butter, you name it. Make CASHEW BREAD! Hello, you don't have to sit down and eat a handful of nuts! See? The answer is simple. Modern medicine and modern eating makes us numb to what is right there in front of our faces.

Afraid of nuts? Why then make some homemade cashew butter, and hey, mix it in a blender with some coconut milk, hmmmm...honey, and maybe add some cocoa powder. Experiment. So here go your nuts, in a delicious and much easier digestible form--packed with nutrients that rivals and even destroys all that other milk-based artificial-synthetic ladened junk pushed at the market.

Now time to get off my soap box, thank you for listening to my rant.

We can do this people!!!