• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice please

Hi, I posted yesterday about thinking I have Crohn's disease. I took the advice to talk to my mum about it, after I had acute stomach pains in school this afternoon, I am now completely exhausted. It's like she doesn't want to know, like she's trying to block it out that I could have it too. Last year was a pretty hard year, with my sis being ill and all; I'm at a loose end I don't know what to do. Also, I was wondering how do you get tested for Crohn's disease?
Thank you

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi fizzles....

I'm sorry it didn't go so well telling your mum..

The first step to getting any testing done is to go and see your GP, you can do this by yourself if you are in the UK (or maybe take your boyfriend for support?) and they should listen to your concerns, but they probably won't do any testing (except maybe blood tests) without your mum's consent.

Maybe you could go and see them, and then get them to have a word with your mum? That might help her come to terms with things.

Also, is there a teacher in school you trust? Maybe chatting to them could help you find a way to get through to your mum..

How close are you to your sister? Do you think she might be able to help you with this?

Your ma will take you seriously in time <3 I would really just say hey mom my sister had crohns, it is proven to be somewhat hereditary and I am concerned about my health I want to go to the doctors and get their input...

valleysangel92

Staff member
Just a thought.. Does your mum know about this forum? It might help her if she has a bit of support and it'll be something you can show her to show you are being serious.

Hi again, yea I'm in the UK so I'll go on my own, and I think it will be hard to keep my boyfriend away! I would ask my sister, but she's currently suffering a flare up and I don't want to add her anymore stress. I think I will be upfront with my mum, with saying about it being hereditary and all; as my cousin also has it. She doesn't know about this forum , i found it recently researching Crohn's, i think showing her is a good idea
Thank you am much for the advice, I didn't know who to really talk to <3

valleysangel92

Staff member
Your boyfriend sounds like he cares about you a lot, which is awesome :) .

I understand that you don't want to stress your sister out, but I think I'd want to know if it was my sister.

You seem to be handling this well, I'm glad you've found this site helpful. Feel free to give me a message if you ever want a chat.

I have a close friend whos going through the same issues as i am and when we need support even when we dont feel well we give it to eachother.... We have attended each-others appointments, I'm sure your sister would be happy to help you flare or not. Its really nice how considerate you are on not wanting the bother anyone... but you aren't being unreasonable or asking for too much help, i am also here if you need someone to speak to.

Yea, he's pretty damn awesome. I have a doctors appointments soon so I'll go to that then tell my sister, so not to stress her out if it's nothing .
Thank you so much guys <3