Share Facebook

05-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Ocean's Fitness Log

Now that I'm finally back home: time to finally start this thread! I really do think that keeping track of things on here will help keep me motivated, because nothing makes me feel better than active ways to chart my progress.

I'm seeing a personal trainer twice a week, and now that I've gotten my seton removed he's challenging me to also try exercising at the gym on my own and eventually getting me to three times a week. He's my half-brother so I'm very lucky that he isn't charging me.

My current goal is to do some toning up, especially with a focus on my upper body, and then getting more stamina through cardio. I also really want to focus on my diet in the hopes that it'll help some of my digestion problems. So: I'm going to challenge myself to drink more fluids (hello, rooibos and green tea!) and add more fibre to my diet and take (most of) the junk out of it.

My diet currently is pretty low-residue, which is okay while in flare, but otherwise gets a bit problematic. I want to work in some healthier snack options, actually get myself to cook and try out some recipes I've been saving, and get some more fruit into my diet. (Hilariously, even as a kid I always loved veggies.) Otherwise, with drinks I'm fine -- all I really drink is milk, water, and tea.

Wish me luck!
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!

Last edited by theOcean; 05-08-2014 at 10:01 PM.
05-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Also, if anyone has a FitBit I'd love to add you. I got one as a gift recently from my mother after I started working out finally.
05-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm glad to see you've started this thread! And that's awesome that you've got a free personal trainer! I'm jealous of that! What types of exercises does he have you doing so far?

I don't have a Fitbit but I'm looking to get a fitness tracker soon. I've been wading through online reviews of them and I still can't decide which one to get. I had really wanted an Airo, they sounded so promising, but now it sounds like they're not coming out any time soon. It was supposed to be the end-all be-all of fitness trackers so that's really disappointing.
http://histalkmobile.com/airo-health...ivity-tracker/

So let me know what you think of your Fitbit, if you like it or if there are any parts about it that you don't like.
05-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
theOcean

My Support Groups:
So far I'd mostly been doing a lot of stretches and aerobic exercises, as well as some exercises for upper body strength since we had to worry about my seton causing irritation. I couldn't really do anything involving my legs because it would chafe. So, now that that's finally gone we're finally working our way into cardio, and using the elliptical and treadmill. I'm terrified for when I eventually have to start running, but for now it seems fine and I wasn't even sore after my last session. Tomorrow I have to motivate myself to get some exercise done without him, though!

I could always commute up to Waterloo and steal one for you. This sounds like it would be pretty amazing, though! That's the one thing I wish my Fitbit would do for me -- track my metrics automatically. It can track them, but you usually have to input them manually. There's no fancy through-the-skin scanning technique, sadly. Although it seems like that's up in the air (sorry) for this, too?

The one I have is the Fitbit Flex! In a lovely eye-scalding green; my favourite. It syncs to your computer, as well as to iPhone/Android which I really adore since I always have my phone on me, so I can check my stats pretty much whenever. The bonus of checking from the computer is having access to a pretty awesome dashboard, though. (Screencap! Yeah, I am a champ today.)

Using the information you input it automatically calculates the calories you burn throughout the day. It tracks your steps, distance traveled, and it also tracks your active minutes. Sometimes I wonder how accurate the active minutes are, but it may be that my active minutes don't seem as "active" to the Fitbit. You can also manually enter anything that it misses if that happens, though.

It also helps you do the terrible task of calorie counting, which I don't know how to feel about. You can always turn it off or ignore it, of course. But it actually helps you come up with meal plans and shows you the ideal way to lose weight.

Here's my somewhat unhelpful one, since I haven't input anything recently.

There's also a library of foods that it already has calculated calorie counts for, which is pretty nice! Unfortunately it's very American, so it keeps referencing restaurant chains I've never even heard of here in Canada. There are choices for UK/Europe as well, but, y'know. Canada gets ignored apparently.

Another thing I really like about it is that it has a sleep tracker, which is cool. I have some sleep disorders (insomnia, delayed sleep phase disorder, restless leg syndrome, oh my!) so I really like to chart what it says. You can set the sensitivity of it -- I have to set mine to normal instead of sensitive, because it reads my restless legs as wow, you're awake and burning calories?? That's incredible! Although I guess I technically am walking in my sleep. It tracks the difference between asleep, restless and awake, though. It also tries to track your sleep latency and calculates your "sleep efficiency" based on all this. It's pretty cool.

It also has a silent alarm function, where it buzzes against my wrist to wake me up, which I like. That way I can get woken up without disturbing my SO.

It also has a badge system to try and motivate you, but it doesn't let you access a list to see what all the potential badges you can earn are! Which I think is a little silly. But it's being updated frequently so I'm sure they'll work it out soon.
05-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks, that looks like a cool thing - but I know what you mean, I don't really want to track calories manually either. That's why the Airo looked so promising, I want something that tells me all my data without me having to input anything. I work in an office and work with spreadsheets & inputting and interpreting data all day long, so the last thing I want to do is input even more data into a personal tracker! That's probably the main reason I haven't yet gotten a fitness tracker, it's really cool that it can automatically do all that other stuff, but I want it to automatically know what I've eaten and what my metabolic rate is and all that as well. I don't want a piece of technology that just gives me homework! Hopefully the technology for automatic calorie counting really will be available soon, whether it's the Airo or some other product. Technology moves so fast nowadays that I can't imagine it'll be very long before something like that is available, even if the Airo itself never gets released.

So what are you going to do today for your workout without your trainer? Got anything in mind?
05-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Good luck to you! I like this trend of exercise journals going right now! And I'm sure you will do great with the more intense cardio...slow and steady to start off until you get comfortable

You like the fitbit, huh? I was considering getting a fitbit for a while but I keep reading articles about how the technology just isn't quite where it should be for these and it isn't entirely worth the financial investment and why the market for them is a bit iffy though it seems like everyone now is trying to come out with similar items.

I've been using SparkPeople to track my calories and food (and will be doing that again now that I've started my own journey). It's a web site that you can customize a little bit (even add your own foods) which is nice. I also used to use Prevention Magazine's trackers because I am a visual person and enjoy their pie charts that break things down. But their food tracker is a bit annoying to use so I stopped it.

Following your experience with a trainer will be interesting to me as well since I am officially starting with my trainer next week.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

05-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
theOcean

My Support Groups:
...I just accidentally closed my tab and lost everything I was writing. This is the worst feeling.

@Cat: My trainer sent me some ideas! But mostly he told me to do cardio today so it's more of the same. Elliptical, treadmill, pushups. I didn't have too much time to dedicate to it today though, since I had to rush out the door to help my grandmother. But I still managed to get time in for working out today! Very proud of myself. I was also really lucky and no one was in the gym, which was nice. I live in a condo building so we have two gyms downstairs and it's super convenient.
05-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
theOcean

My Support Groups:
@CC: I'm really excited about all these exercise journals, too! I hope we can all keep each other motivated. And yes, I'm definitely going to be careful starting out with cardio! I can speed-walk but that's currently about it, haha.

I do like the Fitbit, yes! There's a few things I wish it did automatically, but it's pretty accurate and it feels awesome when I've managed to accomplish my goals for the day. Hopefully the ultimate fitness tracker will come out soon.

Sparkpeople sounds almost a bit dangerous for me! I loooove tracking things, so I'm a sucker for every website like that. Even for my day-to-day activities I use HabitRPG, which basically treats real life like a video game and you earn experience points for accomplishing things and establishing habits. I love games so it's right up my alley. Virtual points? I'm in!

I'm excited to see what it'll be like with your trainer, too. It'll be interesting to compare.
05-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #9
DeniseE

My Support Groups:
I love reading about what everyone's doing - I'm just tracking my daily exercise the old fashioned way in a diary at this stage. I love being able to look back over the year and see how much I've been able to progress.

I'd love to try a personal trainer, but at this stage am just going to classes at a gym near work 4 days a week, pole dancing once a week and a martial arts class once a week. I've decided to track my progress by getting a bio/body scan done every 2-3 months.

Good luck with your training!
05-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
TheOcean - two gyms in your building? I'm jealous! Is there different equipment in each gym? There's a little gym in the basement of my workplace and I'm usually the only person in there, but the downside is that there aren't a whole lot of machines (8 weight machines, 2 treadmills and a bike, and a mat for stretching - and that's it). I would love if it had an elliptical or an arc trainer or more weight machines. Anyway, I hope the gyms in your building have more equipment than that so that you can vary your workouts.
05-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I love reading about what everyone's doing - I'm just tracking my daily exercise the old fashioned way in a diary at this stage. I love being able to look back over the year and see how much I've been able to progress.

I'd love to try a personal trainer, but at this stage am just going to classes at a gym near work 4 days a week, pole dancing once a week and a martial arts class once a week. I've decided to track my progress by getting a bio/body scan done every 2-3 months.

Good luck with your training!
Same here! Which is why I'm so excited about having the Fitbit to kind of do that for me. It's nice being able to compare even day-to-day.

And oh wow, even without a personal trainer it sounds like you're doing some really good things for yourself. I have so much respect for pole dancing with how much strength that must require. Go you!

Also, where do you go to get bio/body scans? I've never really heard of that before.
05-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
theOcean

My Support Groups:
TheOcean - two gyms in your building? I'm jealous! Is there different equipment in each gym? There's a little gym in the basement of my workplace and I'm usually the only person in there, but the downside is that there aren't a whole lot of machines (8 weight machines, 2 treadmills and a bike, and a mat for stretching - and that's it). I would love if it had an elliptical or an arc trainer or more weight machines. Anyway, I hope the gyms in your building have more equipment than that so that you can vary your workouts.
Yep! They're kind of small, but it's nice because they feel pretty private which is what I like. One room has treadmills and ellipticals, and the other has all the weight machines, a bike, and then some mats and more space for people to do stretches/yoga/etc. So while there isn't too much equipment, there's still a decent variety and no one to really hog them.
05-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #13
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Worked out again today! It was gorgeous outside so this time my trainer took me to the garden we have for our condo building. We have two tennis courts out there as well, and he started me out doing laps around them but I didn't last too long. I'm terrible at running, but I can speed-walk all day. We switched to doing a bunch of push-ups, various stretches and exercises to work on my arms, jumping jacks, and then he told me to run as fast as I could around the tennis courts for a bit. It was pretty exhausting, but I managed it and was pretty proud of myself!

After that, we went inside and I went on the bike for a bit. I've been specifically avoiding it because of my fistula, but I found today I was actually able to sit on it without any pain or noticing any irritation afterwards! Getting out that stupid seton made a world of difference. After that, did some stretches for my core and was finally done. We're making my sessions last a little longer now, and trying to make sure I work out three times a week. I see my personal trainer next on Friday, but I have to work out on my own on Wednesday.

Also working on trying to get more fibre into my diet, somewhat aggressively. I can't tell if it's making my constipation problems better or worse, honestly. It also makes it seem like my Miralax doesn't make any difference anymore, but in case it is I'd be terrified to try and go off of it because then I'd be in even more pain. Hmm.
05-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I think I remember you said in another thread that you weren't able to take psyllium - but, if I'm remembering it wrong, I just wanted to suggest psyllium anyway if it's an option, since you said you're trying to get more fiber. Personally, it does good things for me, but it's not for everyone. Psyllium and oatmeal are pretty much the only two sources of fiber that I can reliably tolerate.

Two gyms AND a tennis court at your condo? I definitely am jealous! Sounds like your workout went well! I haven't ever had a fistula, but I am prone to hemorrhoids and just general booty soreness, so I understand your reluctance to riding the bike! Glad to hear that went fine though. Is it a recumbent or ... I'm not even sure the term, regular? Upright? style bike? I have a recumbent exercise bike which is nice, you can sit back and just pedal and not worry too much about the booty. For my actual bike, I did invest in a cushy gel seat, and that was well worth the money. I'm not sure if you're just going to do the bike in the gym or if you're planning to go out for a bike ride outside as well, but if you do, a gel seat is a wonderful investment!
05-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I think I remember you said in another thread that you weren't able to take psyllium - but, if I'm remembering it wrong, I just wanted to suggest psyllium anyway if it's an option, since you said you're trying to get more fiber. Personally, it does good things for me, but it's not for everyone. Psyllium and oatmeal are pretty much the only two sources of fiber that I can reliably tolerate.

Two gyms AND a tennis court at your condo? I definitely am jealous! Sounds like your workout went well! I haven't ever had a fistula, but I am prone to hemorrhoids and just general booty soreness, so I understand your reluctance to riding the bike! Glad to hear that went fine though. Is it a recumbent or ... I'm not even sure the term, regular? Upright? style bike? I have a recumbent exercise bike which is nice, you can sit back and just pedal and not worry too much about the booty. For my actual bike, I did invest in a cushy gel seat, and that was well worth the money. I'm not sure if you're just going to do the bike in the gym or if you're planning to go out for a bike ride outside as well, but if you do, a gel seat is a wonderful investment!
Yeah, I tried metamucil for awhile and had someone else on the forum recommend psyllium husk, but, they're the same thing. Instead it made me feel way worse, plus I hated taking it in pill form. I may try and take another fibre supplement though, something that dissolves. Otherwise I've been trying to eat porridge every day and mix wheat bran in, eat multigrain breads and lots of nuts, and eating more vegetables/dried fruits. Also upped the amount of tea I'm drinking (making at least a pot every day on top of my other liquids) but all I'm really noticing is a lot more undigested food in my stool.

Haha, I'll maybe take some pictures of our place one day. We have a nice condo here. I'm spoiled because I live with my mother still at 22.

Also, I think it's an... upright bike? Also may have had to google through all the different ones to figure it out. I'd love to get my actual bike out, but unfortunately my city isn't the best for cyclists.
05-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My understanding is, Metamucil is psyllium plus some additives/filler, and the additives can cause cramping or other symptoms. 100% organic psyllium should be easier on you than Metamucil. I haven't ever taken the pill form of psyllium, either, so I don't know if that would contain additives. I get the actual husks which I mix a tablespoon of into a glass of water on a daily basis - I think being softened up in the water helps, too. For me, I can't have hard/crunchy oatmeal like in a granola bar - oatmeal has to be cooked in a lot of water until it's kind of goopy, then I can digest it pretty safely without pain. I think psyllium must be similar - so, taking it in pill form probably wouldn't work for me either. Just a thought - it sounds like psyllium is probably not going to work for you though based on your past experiences.

A recumbent exercise bike looks like this (stock photo from google image search):

That's not my exact bike, but I have an exercise bike similar to that at home, and there's one in the little gym in my workplace. It's kind of hard to see the seat in this picture, but it's more like a chair seat (it's wide and padded with a back to it) and not like a regular bicycle seat. That style of bike is much easier on my booty and on my tummy than a regular/upright style bike is.
05-13-2014, 05:27 AM   #17
DeniseE

My Support Groups:
Also, where do you go to get bio/body scans? I've never really heard of that before.
I'm not sure where you'd get them in the UK, but I've got one at a sports nutrition shop just near where I work. I think it's similar to a Dexa scans. The machines measure a whole heap of things like weight, BMI, body fat, visceral fat, skeletal muscle mass, fat free mass, body water and protein. The results are fun to read. Here's a link to the machine:

http://inbodyaustralia.com.au/inbody-570/
05-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #18
kel
Forum Monitor

I would not trust anything that isn't a dexa scan. And as far as I know you need a doctor to order the scan for you (may be different in canada)
05-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
theOcean

My Support Groups:
So, I ended up hunting down some Metamucil to add to my drinks and made sure it didn't have any additives. Results so far: definitely more bulk, but not any softer and still painful. Restoralax really doesn't seem to be making a difference like this.

I have a GI appointment coming up in June, at least. Going to ask to be referred to an allergist then for food sensitivities since my GP rudely refused me. Hopefully now that my Crohn's is under control he'll be forced to actually acknowledge this constipation issue now.

In the meantime, the only other thing I can maybe try is probiotics again.

I was lazy and didn't work out yesterday, but I'm going to try and work out later today! My SO said he might join me, and I hope he will.
05-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #20
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Have probiotics worked for you in the past? For me, they seem to worsen my GERD, and if I have dairy + probiotics (like yogurt), then it causes me nothing but trouble tummy-wise. So I can't really do probiotics myself.

Good luck with your workout later today! Have fun with it!
05-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #21
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Have probiotics worked for you in the past? For me, they seem to worsen my GERD, and if I have dairy + probiotics (like yogurt), then it causes me nothing but trouble tummy-wise. So I can't really do probiotics myself.

Good luck with your workout later today! Have fun with it!
They seemed to, briefly! But it was when my fistula was still draining and I was still on antibiotics, and it seemed to get an increase in drainage at the time and my GI told me to stop (because probiotics are another thing he doesn't believe in). Now that I'm off antibiotics and my drainage has stopped I think it might be all right, though.

I'm lactose-intolerant so I'm a bit afraid of yogurt. I might try it with enzymes, though, and see if that makes a difference.

And thanks! I haven't worked out with anyone other than my personal trainer before, so it'd be nice to get my SO to join me.
05-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #22
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm lactose intolerant too. I know there are some lactose-free soy-based yogurts and those don't seem to have a negative effect on me. I think there are coconut milk lactose-free yogurts available too, but I can't do coconut and I think they were quite expensive (something like $2 for a tiny container!). So there are options. I even tried goat yogurt once - I can do goat cheese which is delicious - but goat yogurt was horrible. So disgusting I could literally not even swallow one bite, I kept gagging. So, my advice is to try non-dairy types of yogurts but stay away from goat yogurt!

Is your SO athletic, does he work out on his own? I drag my hubby along to the gym with me sometimes (he never goes to the gym voluntarily or on his own), and he's never enthusiastic about it when we're on the way there, but he almost always feels quite good after a workout and lately he's even thanked me for making him go work out with me. So even if it takes a little coercing, if you can get your SO to exercise with you, I bet he'll feel good afterwards too.
05-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #23
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Oh gosh! I think there's one brand here of yogurt -- IÖGO? That's lactose-free, but it doesn't come in the small containers so I always worry I'm just going to end up wasting it!

And oh gosh, goat yogurt. I love goat's cheese like crazy but that sounds like it's a bit too much for me. I will stay clear of it!

And haha, no, he isn't athletic at all. He doesn't have any health problems but he's kind of begging for them with the way he takes care of himself -- one meal a day, usually bad, no exercise. So I'm hoping that if I get him to exercise with me that might become a regular thing. I love him dearly but I want him to be healthy, too!

It'll definitely take a bit of coercing, but I'll hopefully succeed.
05-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #24
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Ugh, I thought my Humira arrived earlier but it still hasn't. It's now three days late and I would really like to take my medication, please.
05-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #25
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That's not good, I hope you get your Humira soon! I nearly ran out of Entocort last month and that was worrying (my GI finally refilled it at the last minute) so I know how frustrating that can be. I presume you'll flare up or at least not feel well if you go too long without your Humira? I've never been on Humira myself but I know that obviously it's not good to go very long without needed meds!

My hubby was similar to your SO, he doesn't have health problems and he didn't work out until we actually joined a gym and I started making him go with me. He knows he should work out, he just kind of hates to do it. But when I actually get him to the gym, he's very much like me when I'm working out - focused, intense, actually exercising and not just goofing off (I see so many people at the gym doing things like standing around talking, or playing with their phones - drives me nuts!). So, I hope your SO is focused too when you get him to work out with you.

Yeah, goat yogurt... I guess I would say it had a VERY strong flavor and not in a good way. You know how goat cheese has maybe a slightly stronger flavor than cow cheese? Take that strongness and multiply it times about 20 and that was goat yogurt. It was so expensive too which is why I valiantly tried to eat that stupid spoonful of it even though it was sooo gross.

Do you guys have the Silk brand in Canada? They make soy milk, almond milk, and coconut milk products and those were the soy yogurts that I tried. They're not bad tasting at all, I recall them being pretty yummy. Something to look into if you can do soy.
05-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #26
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I'm in remission, at least, so I'm not too worried about flare... but what I am concerned about is building up antibodies. I was highly allergic to Remicade, and Humira has been incredible for my fistula and that's really what I've been focusing on because I want it to heal so desperately. If I started to build antibodies to Humira I'd be really upset, though at least I know I'd have other options.

And it looks like my SO just agreed to actually work out with me, so it looks like this might actually happen! Hopefully I can bug him enough to make it a regular thing.

...Goat yogurt is sounding increasingly alarming. And yes, we do have Silk! They actually sell it in the convenience store downstairs, though I don't think they have the yogurt there. I'll keep an eye out for it!
05-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #27
theOcean

My Support Groups:
At the moment my personal trainer situation is a bit up in the air. He's my half-brother, like I mentioned before -- but he's also not someone I really get along with so I'm likely... firing him. He's a know-it-all who gets angry and indignant at just the thought that someone knows more about something than he does. (And he keeps repeatedly trying to tell me how my body works, which he has absolutely no idea about. He also once had the audacity to say he has Crohn's. He doesn't.)

On the bright side: Humira finally arrived at my pharmacy! It should be delivered shortly, which is a relief.
05-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #28
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yay Humira!

Oh, I have a brother and he's very much like that, too. I made the mistake of allowing him to live with me a few years ago - it was horrible, we fought so much. He listens to a lot of self-help tapes, and back then he was doing a fair amount of drugs (supposedly he's clean now). So I think he misconstrued what the self-help tapes were saying, and the drugs kind of warped his brain too so the message got all convoluted but to him it apparently made perfect sense. He would tell me that I just needed to have "autonomy" and "mastery" over my illness and then I'd be fine - he'd go on these long rants that made no sense to me about autonomy and mastery, those were his favorite self-help buzzwords. At one point, he told me I should look to him to be my "digestive role model" - what? In a nutshell, he thinks you can basically cure anything if you just want it enough, so I guess in his head I'm sick because I'm not trying and I don't have the autonomy & mastery... or whatever. He's a whack job and I hate talking to him, I only see him at family functions a few times a year and although he's gotten easier to talk to now that he no longer lives in my house, I still don't enjoy spending time with him. As my hubby put it, "He's hard to talk to." He's my only sibling so it sucks, but I have to limit contact for my own sanity.

So I totally understand - while it sounds great to have a free trainer, it's not great if it means a lot of stress for you and having to be around a toxic person. Hopefully you can take what you've learned so far and move forward with fitness on your own - there are lots of resources on the internet of course, or if you can find an affordable gym with trainers included then there's that option too (on that note, do you guys have Planet Fitness gyms there? It's $10 a month, it's open 24/7, and you can work with trainers - I've never used the trainers at PF so I don't know how good they are, but I like the place just because it's so cheap!).
05-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #29
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Yep, that sounds exactly like the stuff my half-brother tells me (who also uses). It sounds like your relationship to your brother is pretty similar to the one I have with mine. It's endlessly frustrating and I just don't have the patience for it. He also thinks that I can somehow cure my Crohn's though fitness and diet and then I won't have to rely on my medications anymore, but only if it's from training from him. Blehhh. My family is pretty small, but I'll be very happy not having to see my half-brother anymore. It's a sanity guard for me, too.

I'm not sure if we have Planet Fitness (probably not, I think) but we have a few places in the area and my mom is pretty fit and also works out, so hopefully I can find something with her. And at the very least I could work out with her instead.
05-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #30
theOcean

My Support Groups:
So, I've been having a few bad physical health days, mostly due to the high-fibre diet. I did it to entertain my GP, who believes that the constipation I'm experiencing is just from lack of fibre and rudely lectured me about it -- but instead it made me way worse and caused tearing and bleeding, yay. This is exactly what happened the last time, even with all the liquid I've been drinking.

I'm going to soak in a sitz bath and hope for the best. I'm going to call on Monday and see if there's a cancellation list I can get on to see my GI sooner, because I've been so frustrated with this. I think I may have to bring up the possibility of bowel rest for a little while.

Also got in touch with my neurologist and had to get a new referral because it's been two years since I saw her, but I have an appointment for my migraines (and my restless leg syndrome, I guess!) in June.

I also started reducing my anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication, Effexor. Also found out that it has a freak rare side-effect that changes hair color, which I've experienced! So, mystery solved on that front -- in the few months I've been on it my hair has gone from a lovely red to a dull brown. Hopefully now that I'm weaning off it will come back.

Hoping to wake up early tomorrow and work out, since I haven't been feeling too well the last few days. I've been sleeping a bit better, at least, which is nice.