Share Facebook

04-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #31
sid

I never heard of drinking gourd juice. Is this available or something I'd need to make. I'm highly skeptical it will do anything for my crohns but I don't see why it would hurt to try it
you can definitely give it a try. I am not sure if its grown in your place. you may try searching bottle gourd in google. or may be buy the seeds.

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.
04-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #32
Jabo

I never heard of drinking gourd juice. Is this available or something I'd need to make. I'm highly skeptical it will do anything for my crohns but I don't see why it would hurt to try it
Honestly, I was skeptical too, but I read Sid's post all over this forum again and again and then one day I was at the store and saw it and thought, "what the hell!"

If you try and it either works or doesn't work, please let us know.
05-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #33
Queastor

Bitter melon is listed on webmd
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...BITTER%20MELON

as working like insulin. I wonder if bottle gourd is basically the same since they're related.

When you follow the scd diet(which is basically a low carb diet) you starve bacteria to death in your digestive tract.

Preventing blood sugar spikes through an insulin type substance might just do the same in your bloodstream.. slowing growth enough to allow your body to put you into remission.

Well that's my t̶h̶e̶o̶r̶y̶ hypothesis anyway.

Last edited by Queastor; 05-06-2014 at 03:06 PM.
05-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #34
sid

Bitter melon is listed on webmd
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...BITTER%20MELON

as working like insulin. I wonder if bottle gourd is basically the same since they're related.

When you follow the scd diet(which is basically a low carb diet) you starve bacteria to death in your digestive tract.

Preventing blood sugar spikes through an insulin type substance might just do the same in your bloodstream.. slowing growth enough to allow your body to put you into remission.

Well that's my theory anyway.
what you call bitter melon, we call it bitter gourd and its another superfood that is widely used especially if people have diabetes. It is good for you if you suffer from worms and bacteria in your guts. If you're interested to know about killing the gut bacteria through food, then you might want to learn more about 'Neem'. It is a very powerful herb used in ayurveda and is common found in india...nowadays you also get Neem capsules in USA I guess.

But here the bitter melon does not work the way the bottle gourd does..bottle gourd is more of a healer of wounds and detoxes and cools your guts.
05-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #35
Jabo

I have a new update for you Sid. At the end of last summer, I knew that that bottle gourd was seasonal here so I juiced 7 glasses of bottle gourd juice, about 12 ounces a piece. I then put the juice in the freezer and froze it as a in case of emergency supply. I didn't ever want to use it. A few months ago I was doing so well, I was able to quite all my meds and was still doing great up until a month ago. A month ago I started adding new foods into my diet and a ton of new herbal supplements. I was testing out the herbs hoping to clear a possible background infection in my intestines that might have contributed to my Crohn's. My Crohn's was doing great, I was just trying to make sure it couldn't come back. Instead I brought it back with the extra foods and supplements. I was in a mild flare going to the bathroom 2-3 times a day instead of just once. (two years ago it was 20 times a day so this wasn't that bad of a flare) I had noticed that since I quite Humira, it is easier for me to upset my intestines and longer for them to recover. After three weeks of getting better but very slowly, I decided to finally break out the frozen bottle gourd juice. I drank it and felt very strange indeed almost immediately, I could tell it was doing something. The next day I was down to one smooth BM and the least painful one I had had in a month. This confirms my belief that the bottle gourd juice is very strong for me. I have since drank the rest of the frozen juices feeling like summer is coming soon and I have already started to grow new bottle gourd plants but will still have to wait quite a while for a harvest. If things go well, I plan to fill up like half of my freezer with big 10 ounce cubes of frozen bottle gourd juice. Seriously.
05-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #36
sid

I have a new update for you Sid. At the end of last summer, I knew that that bottle gourd was seasonal here so I juiced 7 glasses of bottle gourd juice, about 12 ounces a piece. I then put the juice in the freezer and froze it as a in case of emergency supply. I didn't ever want to use it. A few months ago I was doing so well, I was able to quite all my meds and was still doing great up until a month ago. A month ago I started adding new foods into my diet and a ton of new herbal supplements. I was testing out the herbs hoping to clear a possible background infection in my intestines that might have contributed to my Crohn's. My Crohn's was doing great, I was just trying to make sure it couldn't come back. Instead I brought it back with the extra foods and supplements. I was in a mild flare going to the bathroom 2-3 times a day instead of just once. (two years ago it was 20 times a day so this wasn't that bad of a flare) I had noticed that since I quite Humira, it is easier for me to upset my intestines and longer for them to recover. After three weeks of getting better but very slowly, I decided to finally break out the frozen bottle gourd juice. I drank it and felt very strange indeed almost immediately, I could tell it was doing something. The next day I was down to one smooth BM and the least painful one I had had in a month. This confirms my belief that the bottle gourd juice is very strong for me. I have since drank the rest of the frozen juices feeling like summer is coming soon and I have already started to grow new bottle gourd plants but will still have to wait quite a while for a harvest. If things go well, I plan to fill up like half of my freezer with big 10 ounce cubes of frozen bottle gourd juice. Seriously.

Thanks for the update Jabo. I am so glad that it gives you results so fast. using fresh juice is always better but since you dnt get it there all the time, it is still alright. And yes, growing it yourself is the best idea.

BTW jabo is it helping you only with the BM or are you getting any help in symptoms as well ?? I mean would say this juice has helped you to reach or move towards remission ?
05-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #37
Jabo

I am having problems with eczema and a fistula/abscess. As far as the Crohn's in the intestines go, I have had many periods of no pain, no urgency, no blood, smooth and comfortable BMs one or two times a day. I am not sure if this is "remission" or not. It is symptom free. But in addition to the juice, I was on a strict version of paleo/SCD, taking supplements, and generally trying to take care of myself. I'm not sure how much the juice would help if I went off the diet and supplements. As it is right now, it was that last key to the puzzle where things just worked.

For sure if I went off the diet and supplements, I am sure in just one or two days, I could make myself sick.

As for this week, I have stopped drinking the frozen bottle gourd drink. After a week the flare that had bothered me for almost a month is now gone.
06-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #38
barelyalive

I am sooo pissed. Saw an Indian GI today and asked about bottle gourd - he said sure give it a try and sent me to an Indian grocery he said sells it - but told me the Hindi name for it is Karela...so I joyfully went a bought a whole bunch of Karela - and now it appears its the wrong friggin thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is Karela any good at all???? How the phuk does an Indian GI not know what the phuk bottle gourd is?????????

Chron's Disease
Ulcerative Colitis
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Diverticulosis
Hiatal Hernia
Barrett's Esophagus
Severe Sleep Apnea

Stuff I take:

Lialda
Prilosec
Probiotics
Multivitamins
Peppermint Oil Pills
Fennel Seed
Activated Charcoal
L-Glutamine
Magnesium
Slippery Elm

FECO

Cymbalta
06-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #39
theOcean

My Support Groups:
All I know about karela is it's super bitter and you have to find a way to neutralize that... not sure about health benefits for it, though.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
06-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #40
Jabo

I am sooo pissed. Saw an Indian GI today and asked about bottle gourd - he said sure give it a try and sent me to an Indian grocery he said sells it - but told me the Hindi name for it is Karela...so I joyfully went a bought a whole bunch of Karela - and now it appears its the wrong friggin thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is Karela any good at all???? How the phuk does an Indian GI not know what the phuk bottle gourd is?????????
I guess you know from now that in India it is called lauki (लौकी / લૌકી), dudhi (दूदी / દૂદી) or ghiya.

That must have sucked.
06-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #41
sid

thats so strange that he gave you karela. the english name is bitter gourd !! As theocean righjtly said karela is actually very bitter in taste. But there is nothing to worry , cuz karela is a natural anti bacterial and also kills the worms and bacteria in your guts,also neutralises the sugar in your body and is good for your eyes. no side effect dont worry. its also a very common vegetable in india and the funny thing is I just had a bowl of karela with rice
06-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #42
barelyalive

Sid, I went back to the Indian grocer and got more Karela...but they did not have an Lauki...they did have Lauki Juice Drink made by Aloe Plus International....I bought 4 500ml bottles (at $4USD each). Do you think this is any good and how much should I drink for how long before I find any relief.

In addition to the Crohn's I have developed severe internal hemorrhoids, I just got Venapro - that is made from bilberry, butcher's broom, horse chestnut, cayenne, plantain, cascara sagrada, zinc oxide, l-arginine, red sage, oat straw, and vitamin E. I am taking this in addition to preparation h suppositories. I had rubber band ligation last week that only made things worse.

I am going on vacation to cancun, mexico for a week next sunday and I ma therefore desperate for some relief.

Thanks
06-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #43
sid

@barelyalive : you must take a full cup of lauki drink twice a day..lauki does not provide you instant results, it takes time but does help with inflammation. Jus shot U a PM. and keep keep having those karelas..its bitter but good for your health.
07-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #44
barelyalive

Sooo...how long does the lauki juice take to work? I had no luck finding stone apple in my area...so its lauki juice or doom.

Question about flavor...the first brand of lauki juice I bought had a very pleasant flavor...I went to a different store and they had a different brand that tastes nasty (kind of like kaopectate - of you never had that - kind of like a minty aloe vera juice taste) is that a bad sign?

I had an absolute miserable vacation I bled like crazy. When I came back went to the colorectal surgeon who stuck a scope up the wazoo and told me the cause of my bleeding is not hemmorhoids but horrific inflamation due to Crohn's or UC...he was angry i want on humira yet - but Im still holding off, told me to take two canasa's a day which has alleviated the bleeding but not eliminated it.

Im about to give into Humira but I am terribly scared of it - I am also a CPAP user and have read how dangerous it is because of mold and bacteria that can collect in the apparatus that doesnt effect a normal person but can have drastic impacts to someone taking a biological..

Thanks
07-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #45
sid

^^It takes some time..atleast a month. It does not give you instant relief but has to be taken regularly for a month or two.
08-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #46
barelyalive

So went to the colorectal surgeon today and upon performing the aigmoidoscopy he said I looked signifficantly better, I had no ulceration no bleeding and a normal mucosol lining in tact...compared to one month ago when I was urged to get on Humira ASAP. In the last four weeks I have drank two cups a day of bottle gourd juice (one in morning and one in evening). Ate primarily Karela, pineapple, papaya and sardines. Used canasa every night.

So which got me better, the diet, the bottle gourd juice, the canasa or a combo of the three?

Unfortuantely I am still having 4-10 painful bowel movement each day, Dr said it takes time and my bowel routine should improve.....
08-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #47
sid

In crohns the idea is to get to a better health condition and if the combination is helping you..continue it. It would be wrong for me to say it was because of bottle gourd since you were taking other stuff as well...but I will never be surprised if it was the reason for the improvement. All i would say is....jus dpont stop taking the bottle gourd juice ...all the best !!

Another thing i noticed is you have been having a lot of vegetables(and lesser red meat if i understand correctly)...I am a firm beliver of remission through diet and having moore servings of vegetables will definitely help you...and the foods that you are taking like bitter gourd and bottle gourd juice...i am sure things will improve more if you continue them...both of them are just great for your gut health.
08-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #48
Jabo

I'm growing my own gourd now. I'll probably post pics soon.
08-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #49
sid

thats awsome jabo.
08-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #50
Jabo

Here is a picture of me with my bottle gourd garden.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a picture of bottle gourd being sold in a store near my house. The store's name is Sprouts and it specializes in organic and whole food type products. They have many locations in the US. They are calling bottle gourd "opo squash".

I have been drinking bottle gourd mixed with red cabbage juice and it has helped my latest flare a lot caused by a trip abroad. The bottle gourd is the most important and the red cabbage helps a little.
08-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #51
sid

^^^ yes that exactly is bottle gourd and is that you jabo in that pic above ?
08-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #52
Jabo

thats me. hahaha
03-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #53
Sameer

Hi Sid,
I have sent couple of message to you to send your contact details: someone need your help desperately.
you can send your contact detail your email id:
03-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #54
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Just found this stuff today, will try it and report back

So far did not make me sick. I felt 'good' after trying it but not sure if that was just that I'd been fasting off trigger foods all day.

One gourd only made about 1/4 cup of juice though.
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/

Last edited by InstantCoffee; 03-31-2015 at 08:31 PM.
04-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #55
barelyalive

Hey, you are in CT and you found it??? I am in NJ and have not had any luck..the Indian Grocery Stores carry Lauki Juice and Frozen Bottle Gourd but I have never found fresh bottle gourd that I could juice....Curious - have you ever seen anyone selling bael fruit (stone apple) ?
04-15-2015, 11:03 PM   #56
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

wow im impressed, I'll try to find this fruit in Chinatown...

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
04-16-2015, 05:09 AM   #57
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Hey, you are in CT and you found it??? I am in NJ and have not had any luck..the Indian Grocery Stores carry Lauki Juice and Frozen Bottle Gourd but I have never found fresh bottle gourd that I could juice....Curious - have you ever seen anyone selling bael fruit (stone apple) ?
Yes I've found it in two separate Indian grocers, they have large stocks too. I Can't say for sure if it helps, but the fact I can eat a whole gourd and not get sick is a miracle in and of itself, I can hardly eat any veggies.
04-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #58
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

So I have bought and just tried a piece of Lauki. Thats how Indian people call it here. Nobody knew what I was taking about when I asked for Bottle gourd! they only use the indian name.

The grocery guy was so nice and friendly he even gave me a Karela insisting this was extraordinary vegetable for health.

The Lauki tastes very plain almost like a very plain watermelon. Its a very smooth vegetable and quite interesting to eat raw. Im going to start with small pieces each day and see I how I go and increase my consumption daily. Since the seller was pretty sure the vegetable was not organic, I peeled the skin off. Its too bad because we know most vitamins are in the skin. Oh well im making an exception with this non-organic vegetable hoping it truly has magic power

im happy about this new addition to my diet, thx guys!
04-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #59
sid

wow good to see the thread still running.

Hi Lady Organic, , i was too excited at the time of opening the thread becuase of the results it gave to me , thus the word 'magic' , but jokes apart.. I know its gonna work if you take it for a long time.

@barelyalive , did your search for stone apple end ??
05-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #60
barelyalive

Sid, I have exhausted every avenue, spoke to countless Asian Indians at work and on the net and there just does not seem to be anyone who imports bael fruit to the US. I did buy bael fruit capsules made by Himalaya, and I bought the Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack sold by Planet Ayurveda. I just seem to be getting worse every day. I tried Uceris and it was almost paralyzing to me so I had to stop. Really dont want to go the biological route...btw - still cant find bottle gourd, but a lady at work told me they sell it at a store by her - whenever I feel well enough (LOL) I'll make the trip....thanks