Share Facebook

05-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #31
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I have seen some rowers at my gym I don't know what brand or series they are though. Good to know you can adjust resistance, I've never used a rowing machine before. I will look into it some more, thanks kel
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

05-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #32
Axelfl3333

I do 3000/4000meters on the rowing machines but I,ve had to build up to it,there a really good cardio work-out and they help me with constipation
P.s I alternate with the cross trainer 10minutes then 1000m
05-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #33
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
@Axel - it definitely does sound like a good workout!

I'm going back to the gym today to try and get some cardio in. I had to take a break on Tuesday because I was too sore in the glutes to do much. I was also incredibly exhausted considering I have not worked out like that since around the time I first had crohn's in 2012!

I also had to work all day and then a meeting in the evening yesterday that prevented me from doing any activity. HOWEVER, I tried for something and both days took (steep) stairs about 5 flights for majority of the day instead of the elevator. Since I sit at a desk all day at work I'm going to make it a point to go 5-6 flights of stairs once per day or more when I can.

Winter air plus rain returned to Chicago today so my plan to run outdoors has been squashed. I will come up with a treadmill activity instead and do some additional core exercises.
05-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #34
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
There's no shame in taking a rest day when needed - letting your body heal after a workout is an important part of the process. The important thing is to listen to your body and to give it rest when it needs it, and it sounds like you did that just fine. And yeah, I sit at a desk at work all day too so I also try to come up with ways to be active during the workday. Do you have an office or a cubicle that's at least semi-private? If so, you can do things like squats, lunges, pushups, etc in your office, and tricep dips from your desk chair. (You could even do... the dreaded plank! ) Or on breaks you could go for a walk if it's a nice day. Even offering to carry a heavy box for a co-worker can get you a bit of bonus strength training.

We've got the colder weather back today too - brr! I am wearing a sweater and I'm still a bit chilled, and it's been rainy and overcast and just kind of yuck. Have fun with your treadmill workout - between doing intervals of run/walk and ramping up the incline, I'm sure you can challenge yourself on a run even if it isn't outside.
05-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #35
Axelfl3333

Forgot to say if it's hurting stop!must admit I feel guilty if I don,t go to the gym,maybe it's because of the cost,not.I enjoy it but have been slowly building up what I do but everyone must listen to what there body is saying if your under the weather a 10 minute walk on the treadmill does fine those days and a sit in the sauna is pretty good as well.
05-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #36
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Updates: yesterday I got a bit of Cardio Interval exercise in (crunches squats wall sits pushup and jumping jacks) and a brisk walk.

Today I had another strength training session and this one was an all body workout. They've been having me use the pulley machines a lot for upper body and even lower body weight exercises. I've never used that machine before. I've always been intimidated because it has so many detachable parts but now I'm learning some interesting ways to use it. After that session I did a couch to 5k run om the lakefront. The weather is a tad bit crisp today but when the sun came through it was really nice and the running part of the session kept me comfy throughout the whole experience.

I think it will definitely take me some time to get used to running. My body is showing me how much it really hates it but is willing to try anyway lol. Slow and steady.......A little treat after the run was to walk over and check out the annual garden sale in the area. Boyfriend met me there and we bought some tomato plants, rosemary, spearmint, hot peppers and can tip (for kitty). I have no green thumb but he claims to have done this before so we will see how well this goes lol
05-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #37
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
What's your body doing that it's showing you it hates running? My body will give me tremendous hip pain during running - I can make it to about 1/2 mile and then the pain sets in. If I stop right there, I might get away with just having pain for the rest of the day but feeling okay the next day. But if I push myself to finish the mile (because it's embarassing to not be able to run a mile and I feel like I should be able to do it!), then the pain gets worse, and the pain will stick around for about 4 days. I've tried running numerous times but that's always the result, pain and more pain. If your body continues showing you that it hates running, you may want to consider trying something that's less high-impact. Do you have a bicycle? I find biking is far easier on my joints than running is (although biking seems to be rather tough on my core & guts so I struggle in general with cardio!).

Ooh, gardening, how fun! I'm making more of an effort this year to have a nice garden, too. I've got some seedlings going - peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, pumpkins, bell peppers, cilantro, basil, stuff like that. And we just got some strawberry plants & a raspberry plant, plus we have mint and ginger plants that come back every year. I have a hard time with most of that stuff, but I can throw it in my juicer if I can't eat it. I've never grown catnip though - you'll have to keep me posted on how that goes and if your cat likes it!
05-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #38
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
It's more of a feeling of complete exhaustion in my legs while I run. It comes on quickly. Mind you this is my first real attempt to run outdoors and I am running along the lakefront trail which has fairly flat or gravely paths as well as light and sporadic inclines/declines on the trail. There's no pain other than typical light soreness that I get after any working out so I'm not doing anything that is noticeably hurting my body. I feels more like I am trying to push through a mental wall of running more than anything I guess.

My increments are 1 minute jog / 90 seconds brisk walking for approx. 25 minutes with both a 5 minute warm up and cool down. And like I said before I am not trying to run at a sprinting pace, just a very simple, light jogging pace.

I never learned how to ride a bike so that's not an option for me. Kinda embarrassing but makes for interesting conversation lol.

I just realized that my phone spelled "can tip" instead of catnip in my previous post hahahaha! Good deciphering on that one, Cat!

My plan is to do the jog/run interval again after work today if the weather cooperates.
05-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #39
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ah, okay. No pain is a good thing! Sounds like you just need to build yourself up to running more and you're doing that, so that's a good thing too.

No need to be embarassed about never learning to ride a bike! My mother-in-law didn't learn how to swim until just recently and she's nearly 60 - the weird part is, she grew up on a farm that has a swimming pond on the property! Anyway, just like with my m-i-l, you can still learn that skill even though you're an adult now. If you're worried about maybe tipping over, they do make 3-wheeled bikes for adults. My grandpa had one for awhile because his balance wasn't good enough for him to ride a regular bike. They're not just for grandpas though! They are actually a lot of fun, we all took turns riding my grandpa's bike and I wish he still had it (he's in a wheelchair now so his bicycle days are over).

I don't know if they're all this pricey, but this is similar to what my grandpa had:
http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-adul...e/-/A-10438285

Yes, I saw on facebook that you had bought a catnip plant, so because of that I was able to decipher "can tip"! Good luck with your run tonight, I hope the weather cooperates. It's been rainy here off and on, and we're supposedly getting thunderstorms this evening.
05-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #40
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh my goodness I love that bike! I would totally use that thing unfortunately I don't know how easy it would be to ride that in Chicago. Chicago has a very large biking community but you are only allowed to ride bikes on the street which is difficult enough as it is since there is barely any room on the road for bikers. Consequently, drivers and bikers do not get along on the road or in conversation in this city lol. Plus I'm sure I would get laughed at but I'd still ride it anyway! hahaha. I'm going to save that link thanks Cat!

Got my jog in last night. It drizzled a tiny bit along the lake but it didn't stop anyone from getting their running, walking and biking in. The jog/walks felt much easier to accomplish today. I use the C25k app to time my jog/walk intervals and it crashed on me halfway through. I had to make up my own interval by timing via the songs I was listening to on my phone. I'm pretty sure for at least 3 intervals I ran a bit more than I normally do during this program and with a bit more ease. I'm wondering if I should expect waves of good days like this one and not so good jog days like the one I did this weekend.

I get impatient when I want change I often want to see it happen right away. I like what happened yesterday but I need to keep reminding myself it's ok to push once in a while but it's best to take my time and do it the right way.
05-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #41
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm lucky, in Madison we have tons of bike paths and wide bike lanes, it's a VERY bike-friendly city. Is there not a bike path along the lakeshore in Chicago? Bike riding through Chicago traffic does sound like not very much fun (nor safe!) so I understand why it's probably not feasible.

And oh yes, you will have good workout days where you feel energetic and strong and fast and you can just cruise through your workout with ease and do more than you usually do and feel great the whole time - and likewise, you'll have workouts where you feel sluggish and weak and everything seems to take more effort than usual and it's a struggle just to do what you normally do in a workout. I definitely have those days! I don't think it's even a chronic illness thing, I presume "healthy" people have ups and downs like that as well. You just have to appreciate the good workouts and push through the rough ones. Don't let the rough days discourage you because a good day could happen tomorrow! Just keep going no matter how easy or hard it seems on any given day.
05-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #42
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh yeah, there's a bike path along the lakfront. About 19 miles of trail. But it is shared with walkers and joggers and depending on what part of the trail you are on it can get a bit congested from pedestrian traffic. The part of the trail south of downtown is a lot quieter and relaxing because majority of the active population in Chicago is downtown and on the north side. Have I told you how much I love Wisconsin? I think it is such a beautiful state and I love the lakes and camping up there in the Summer or checking out special events. I bet biking in Wisconsin is pretty awesome. I have yet to sweep through Madison but I occasionally hit up places like Milwaukee, Delavan, Lake Geneva, Alpine Valley, Door County and other small areas of Wisconsin

Thanks for the pep talk. I almost did talk myself out of jogging yesterday but glad that I didn't because it felt better than I was imagining it would.
05-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #43
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, Wisconsin is pretty great in the summer for outdoor activities! Winter isn't so great, I go snowshoeing and I try to ice skate, but mostly I just count the days until spring, ha ha. Now that it's almost summer, it's fantastic - hiking, kayaking, biking, so much to do outdoors! And oh yeah, Door County is gorgeous, we used to take trips up there every summer when I was a kid and I have lots of fond memories of bicycling through Peninsula state park. Lake Geneva is beautiful too although I've only been there once. (Fun historical fact - infamous 1930s bank robber Baby Face Nelson loved Lake Geneva so much that he wanted to retire there - it didn't quite work out for him though and the FBI actually located him in Lake Geneva and chased him down to Illinois where he died in a gunbattle with the feds.) Anyway, I'm rambling again. Yes, Wisconsin is very pretty when it's not covered in snow.

You're welcome for the pep talk. I find that to be the case sometimes too - if I'm not sure that I'll have a good workout, that I'm feeling iffy and it could go either way, more often than not I do end up surprising myself and having a really good workout and I'm glad I did it. I think there's a saying that goes something like, you only regret the workouts that you don't do. And that's true, even with the tough workouts, I don't regret doing them! So keep going and don't let a rough workout get you too down. Regroup, take a deep breath, and keep going. You got this!
05-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #44
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Last night I took a Body Works plus Abs class at my gym. Lots of free-wight training using steps as well as mats. I used 2.5 lb. and 5 lb weights. Lots of focus on the arms and lots of lunges. It was intense but I managed to get through 40 minutes of the class. I did a series of ab exercises but wanted to leave when it was time to do the planks my body was broken down by that point lol.

While I wussed out on the planks I DID succeed in the longest wall sit I have ever accomplished of around 1 minute! She had the class hold their arms out with weights in their hands while doing the longest part of the wall sit. I wasn't strong enough for that but I did hold my arms out by themselves and participated in the motions of lifting weights while doing wall sits Funny I find challenges like these (wall sits and planks) a lot easier to accomplish when I am doing it as part of a group and someone is barking orders at me to keep going. Had I done this on my own, my mind would have had me quit very quickly

It drove me crazy that the air conditioner in the class wasn't on high enough. It was incredibly humid!. I left the class early because of that and because a storm was coming in and it was nothing but lightning for a full 30 minutes. I wanted to get home before the rain got really bad, which it eventually did. I needed that workout last night. Good stress reliever.

Last edited by CrohnsChicago; 05-21-2014 at 10:47 AM.
05-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #45
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh, I know what you mean, if it's not cool enough in the gym then I have a very hard time too. My guts tend to cramp up in heat & humidity, and it's just plain difficult to work out when it's too warm/humid, so the air conditioning has to be on full blast in the gym and fans going too to circulate the air, or it just sucks and I'm miserable. I don't know how people can do that "hot yoga" stuff, that sounds awful to me!

Sounds like you had a good workout in spite of the AC in the gym not being adequate! I'm fortuante that I don't need a trainer yelling at me, I yell at myself in my own head. But it's good that the trainer got you to do things that you wouldn't have pushed yourself to do otherwise! You still gotta work on that plank though, ha ha.
05-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #46
kel
Forum Monitor

Oh, I know what you mean, if it's not cool enough in the gym then I have a very hard time too. My guts tend to cramp up in heat & humidity, and it's just plain difficult to work out when it's too warm/humid, so the air conditioning has to be on full blast in the gym and fans going too to circulate the air, or it just sucks and I'm miserable. I don't know how people can do that "hot yoga" stuff, that sounds awful to me!

Sounds like you had a good workout in spite of the AC in the gym not being adequate! I'm fortuante that I don't need a trainer yelling at me, I yell at myself in my own head. But it's good that the trainer got you to do things that you wouldn't have pushed yourself to do otherwise! You still gotta work on that plank though, ha ha.
And I yell out loud
05-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #47
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Lol kel funny you should mention yelling out loud. I have to give my trainers fair warning that they should know they are working me hard by how frequently I randomly spit out swear words! Hahahah I can't help it. I literally get a curl in my upper lip and develop the mouth of a sailor
05-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #48
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ha ha, Kel and Chicago, too funny! I sometimes talk to myself if I'm alone in the gym, count reps out loud and stuff like that, but I don't actually yell at myself out loud. Maybe I should yell and swear though? Does that seem to help you guys' workouts?
05-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #49
kel
Forum Monitor

I think it can be helpful sometimes but it doesn't really make too much difference in the end if you're doing it out loud or in your head. If you don't want people to approach you in the gym I promise yelling and screaming with headphones in will do the job.

And CC that bit about swearing made me laugh. I'm a bit of a potty mouth myself.
05-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #50
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Honestly it feels like a form of tourettes for me when it happens I don't know I'm doing it until it already happens/I have no control over it.

It's what happens when I'm really trying to push myself past my perceived limits. I'm super nice and enthusiastic and then all of a sudden I start swearing at the hard stuff. It does feel good after I do it but then I get a little red in the cheeks because I think my trainers or whoever I'm working with probably believes I'm a bit rough around the edges

Oh and kel I know what you mean. There's this guy who wears his headphones at the gym all the time, does the treadmill and feels the need to sing out loud! Needless to say all of the equipment that surrounds him when he is there doesn't get much use hahaha!

As for today: Today is game one of my kickball league. I'm the captain so I most likely won't play too much though. I decided I will let everyone else play the field and if there are spots where someone doesn't want to kick or run bases I will fill in there. I'm going straight after work so I packed up my gym clothes and brought them with me to change. Since the game is in a park I was hoping I could get a quick jog in but then I realized I can't because I have to lug all of my bags around. womp womp.

If I get home soon enough I will try to get to the gym before it closes I guess or ATTEMPT to wake up super early tomorrow to get something done. I will be on vacation starting tomorrow for a weekend camping trip so I won't have time to get a good workout in for a few days.
05-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #51
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I giggled at the thought of yelling and screaming with headphones on at the gym - I do like being left alone during my workouts so I'm slightly tempted to try it. Do I get bonus points if I yell and scream swear words in Korean?

Chicago, as captain of your kickball team, can you at least get in a quick workout by perhaps leading your team in a warm-up? Have everybody (yourself included of course) do jumping jacks, jog a couple laps, planks (just kidding), etc. At least that way you'd get in a quick bit of fitness! And as for camping - stuff like chopping & hauling wood could be a good workout! Or hiking, etc. Have fun on your camping trip!
05-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #52
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
If you scream in Korean then not only do you get bonus points but you also get your photo on the wall of awesomeness at the gym's front desk!

Unfortunately this camping experience is more of a special event type of camping so there won't be much time or space to do any exercise. I will be attending the Indy 500. I would LOVE to get some hiking in but it doesn't look like we will have any time to do that. Maybe I will get up early in the mornings and do some core exercises before everyone wakes up.

I SHOULD consider making them do drills. They would get a kick outta that for sure lol! It's a social league so I'm sure they are more interested in grabbing a drink and mingling than doing drills.

I'm going to see if I can get a quick stroll in before I have to meet everyone. The weather is beautiful yet again. I'm loving this. No more winter!!!
05-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #53
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ha ha, I doubt I'd get my photo on a wall of awesomeness. Probably more like, a wall of "do not let this person enter these premises" photos.

Oh, that is a very different type of camping than I was picturing! I figured you'd be out in the woods somewhere. I didn't even know that camping was a possibility at an event like that (I'm not really into cars/races though so I know next to nothing about this type of thing). Well, have fun! I would say don't worry too much if you can't get a workout in while you're there - just pick up where you left off when you get back home. And yeah, make your kickball team do some warmup drills! Make them earn those drinks afterwards!
05-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #54
kel
Forum Monitor

You will receive 10 bonus points for each korean profanity uttered.
05-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #55
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sweeeeeet. Michinnyeon! Saekkiboda! Um.... *looks back on my notes* Noppeun nome! There, that's +30. I feel like my workout has improved.
05-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #56
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
After a few vacation days of doing nothing and a diet that wanted to be good only about 40% of the time, I'm back in the saddle.

Funny, once I got home I had this desire to get out and run (never thought I would say that!) Unfortunately the rain and cold is keeping me away from this at the present moment. I settled with a DVD of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred - Level 1 to help get me back on track with my training. It wasn't easy after the lazy few days I felt a bit sluggish and stiff but I accomplished it. A few strength training sets, cardio sets and ab sets for about 25min and I felt good. There's a routine called the Anterior Raise + side lunge (you use weights for both) it's so challenging! I have done this DVD off and on for over a year now and this move always seems to be the most difficult but I keep trying anyway.

Tomorrow is another kickball game. Weather permitting on Friday I can get back out and jog again.
05-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #57
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm glad to hear you had a desire to go for a run! It's too bad the weather didn't cooperate, but just the fact that you wanted to exercise is fantastic. I can relate, before I got sick I hated to exercise and never wanted to do it but I would force myself to work out from time to time. Then I got sick, I realized how important my health was, and once I got into remission and started exercising, I loved it and wanted to go to the gym all the time! Pre-IBD me would never have done that. I'm rambling, but anyway, it's great that you wanted to go for a run! And I'm glad you were able to do a different form of exercise when running wasn't an option.
05-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #58
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Finally got my Couch to 5k jog in today!!

I decided to push myself and jump into week 2 of the program. It was not easy. 90seconds jogging 90seconds walking. Those 30 seconds are a lot when you are jogging outdoors. I had to jog a bit more slowly than the 1 minute jog but I managed. And when I thought I had a few more jog intervals to go I realized that it was already over because I had altered the interval times. PHEW!!! I didn't think I had two more jogs in me lol

At one point I tried jogging on the grass to see if it was easier than pavement like everyone said. I actually thought it was more challenging because of all the clumps and uneven, soft field.

I also got a good, brisk 30min walk in for the day.

Tomorrow I am volunteering for a fun run for kindergarten - 5th graders to promote healthy lifestyles in kids. Super excited. Maybe I can jog along them for a bit for fun to help cheer them on!
05-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #59
KyleB

My Support Groups:
Nice work!
06-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #60
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Aw! I hope the volunteering goes well. It sounds like that could be really fun, not to mention great for the kids.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!