Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Enteral Nutrition & TPN » Drink only modulen cause diarrhea?

05-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Gusth

Drink only modulen cause diarrhea?

Hello. I have crohn for 6 months but I dont have much pain anymore at my instestines. My real problem is a anal fissure that I have for 4 months now, it is 3 fissure and it looks very bad.

I have 1 bm in every 2 days, but my fissure can't heal because every bm it hurts and bleed again.

Yesterday I have a bm and it hurts so much because of the fissure that I decide to just drink modulen in the hope I dont have to go to the bathroom again for some days...

My hope is if I drink only modulen I will not have a bm, or have only 1 in 4 days or mores.

Any bm I have cause a lot of pain but diarrhea is much worse so I can't have diarrhea too.

A person drinking only modulen go to the bathroom how many times?
If I drink only modulen I will have diarrhea?

Thanks!
05-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
SupportiveMom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
When my daughter did only modulen & TPN she had watery stool. Her best days hovered around 8x a day, but her issue has always been diarrhea. When she was on EEN they were only liquid stool.

If you added Questran to your treatment with the Modulen it may help to thicken things up some. It helped my kid for a bit.

Ileostomy surgery July 2015

Current Meds: None!
Previous Meds: Humira, Remicade, Methotrexate, Cipro, Flagyl, Zofran, Cortifoam, 5-ASA suppository, Questran, Mezavant, EEN (Peptamen Jr. 1.5) by NG tube, Antibiotic Cocktail (Vancomycin, Metronidazole & Doxycycline), Simponi, Prevacid, Imuran, prednisone
ibdsupportivmom.wordpress.com ☆
05-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Gusth

Thanks for the answer and sorry for you daughter hope she is better now.

Now is my 4th day with modulen and answering my own question - yah only modulen give me liquid stool, but only 1 time a day and very little stool

The good news is it hurts a lot less than formed bm and the fissure don't bleed.

My fissure already looks very good, hope it keep going this way so I heal this fissure fast. I'll post later to say if i'm healed.
05-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
Hello there

Although I don't have experience with liquid only, I did get watery stool when I was nill by mouth and only on IVs.

This happens because you aren't taking in anything solid for the body to produce a solid stool. The products in the modulen that are not water (colourants, bulking agents etc) do get turned into stool and not urine but they are not really solid enough to produce a fully solid stool.

The frequency is a very individual thing, you may only have one a day or you may have 10 , no one can really tell you what will happen.

I hopes this answers your question a little.

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
05-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Jmrogers4

Liquid stool for my son when he was on Pediasure Peptide only but on 1-2 a day.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
05-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree, liquid in liquid out. I have liquid feed and it doesn't stop the diarrhoea unfortunately. I'm still on and off the bog day and nights. I used questran but these days they stuff aspartyme in it. So I get that no more. Good luck with having less painful bm's.
05-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Gusth

In my case is not liquid in liquid out. I am on my 16th day drinking only modulen. I have a little of watery stool almost every day and every 3 or 4 days I have a solid stool.

My fissure now is a lot better. I think it is 90% healed. And my pain with watery stool is 0! It didn't burn for the first time in 4 months . For solid stool I still get some pain, but just 1/10...

In addition to modulen (16 days) I'm doing hyperbaric chamber (27 sessions) and using a ointment called fibrase (in Brazil).

I'm in the right track so I'll post later to say I'm 100% healed .
05-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Gusth, what wonderful news you have with modulen. Fissures are a pain in the butt, no pun intended. I often say sitting on the loo is sometimes the best place to sit. The pressure is off the bum, but I also have a donut shaped cushion too. I'm so pleased that your pain is much less than before, that's the best news. What exactly does the hyperbaric chamber do, if you don't mind me asking?
05-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Gusth

Hi Spooky1, I'm not a expert in HBOT. What I know is that when you are in the hbot they increase the atmospheric pressure and you breathe 100% of oxygen. This supposedly helps the blood to reach the wounds and heal it faster. At my clinic many people have wounds on legs and diabetes, so it don't heal. The same is for anal fissure, its difficult to heal because the blood does not reach it.

If you want to know more about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbaric_medicine
05-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #10
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That's great info. I wonder how much they cost privately? I like that idea. perhaps it will work I breath deeply. I shall try.
so pleased things are improving for you.
06-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
blobbyknobby

I was put back on Modulen recently... Ditto Ran thru me like a river.... Thanks but no thanks.. Id rather not go back to diapers.
06-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

In my case is not liquid in liquid out. I am on my 16th day drinking only modulen. I have a little of watery stool almost every day and every 3 or 4 days I have a solid stool.

My fissure now is a lot better. I think it is 90% healed. And my pain with watery stool is 0! It didn't burn for the first time in 4 months . For solid stool I still get some pain, but just 1/10...

In addition to modulen (16 days) I'm doing hyperbaric chamber (27 sessions) and using a ointment called fibrase (in Brazil).

I'm in the right track so I'll post later to say I'm 100% healed .
Hi Gusth, is your fissure healed? How was the hyperbaric chamber? Do you feel it helped your crohns altogether? Ive been contemplating to try this treatment for a while now...

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
07-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey, Gusth, I too would love to know how the fissure is healing. The hbot too, has it helped?
08-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
Gusth

Hello guys, sorry for the long time without updating here.
At my last post I was in my 16 day of only modulen. I went to 21 days with only modulen and my fissure was healed at 99%.

It's already past 3 months and I have to say that I'm 100% healed. My intestines didn't hurt at all since the 2 day of modulen, my fissure healed 99% after 21 days of modulen and is now 100% healed (thank god). I'm going 1x/day to the bathroom and it's everything normal.

So "Drink only modulen cause diarrhea"? For me is +-, sometimes is pure liquid and sometimes is solid (but very soft and easy for the fissure), I shit my pants sometimes too, but it's very worth it.

So I'm very happy, my crohn is fully in remission. If I feel the crohn is about to coming back in the future the first thing I'll do is go into a only modulen diet for at least 20 days.

The modulen for me is the best thing ever! But I must say I discovered my crohn very soon (8 months ago).

Of course I've take a lot of other medicines that may helped me but maybe don't was so fast like modulen in my recovery:

LDN (Still using)
VIT D3 (Still using)
Modulen (Best thing ever - Still drinking 1 or 2 cups a day)
HBOT (Stopped already but was great for the fissure and probably for the crohn too)

Since I came back to eating normally, I've been very careful. For now I'm only eating potato soap with beef or chicken, a lot of bread. None of the processed foods I ate make me ill. The only thing that I ate and gave me a lot of gases so I stopped eating was eggs.

I hope you guys can try the modulen and hope it works for you too.
08-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow, way to go. That really is good news, Gusth.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Enteral Nutrition & TPN » Drink only modulen cause diarrhea?