• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do mouth ulcers/sores mean I'm about to flare?

I have two ulcers in my mouth and I have ZERO appetite! When I do eat I feel really sick... starting to wake up again at night for the restroom. I'm soo new to crohns I'm still learning every day. I was diagnosed on August of last year. I was in remission and I finally tapered off prednisone. That could be the culprit too.... idk...

theOcean

They're not always a sign you're about to flare, but for many people they can be an indicator of it.

From what you're saying it sounds like you may be starting to flare again, so I would recommend calling your GI and making an appointment.

What medication are you currently on?

I go in for remicade every two months. I finally tapered off from 40 mg of prednisone last Tuesday. I've been on that steroid for 9 months, and at one point I was at 60 mg. I take lorazpam for anxiety. I also take nortripilene to help me sleep at night and not have any pain in the morning. I was diagnosed with severe crohns ileocolitis.

I get sores around my mouth and nose when I am flaring. it's so annoying. I just put cortisone on it for lack of anything better?

theOcean

I go in for remicade every two months. I finally tapered off from 40 mg of prednisone last Tuesday. I've been on that steroid for 9 months, and at one point I was at 60 mg. I take lorazpam for anxiety. I also take nortripilene to help me sleep at night and not have any pain in the morning. I was diagnosed with severe crohns ileocolitis.
Okay, so it sounds like you're at least well-medicated. If you are experiencing problems, it probably means you should have stayed on prednisone a bit longer. :( There is an alternative, though! You can go on entocort, which is a milder version of prednisone with less side-effects, in case you really don't want to be on prednisone again. You could also ask your GI about adding an immunosuppressant (Imuran/6mp/Methotrexate) in addition to the Remicade, which should help, especially since your case is severe.

No for some reason he felt it was under control with the remicade. But we shall see. I gave them a stool sample for the inflammation marker on Monday so the results should be back soon.... I hope :/