• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Methotrexate

Will start Methotrexate on Tuesday been on 6mp for 3 yrs no noticeable help. Remicade was to costly so now Doctor will try this! Was at Dr.s today I ask if I just went cold turkey and rebooted up again what would happen? This is the third time I ask this both Dr.s said you would mostly likely die in 3 months. I 'm guessing because there would be no drug protection. So has anybody been told this? What with this new drug should I expected? Been sick since 00 many drugs,many surgeries and never really got better so hope this will help! Thank you sorry for the rambling.

Did you post this in 2 places? I swore I replied. Maybe taptalk is acting up again. Let me remember what I said...

Wow what poor bedside manner from the doc! I would consider a new doc if he/she said that. Are you on anything else but Mtx?

No meds at all can potentially cause issues so don't look to get off if you don't have a backup maintenance drug to start. I tried looking for your story but can't seem to find it. History? Meds? Can you share more? Just dropping 1 med (while on others or being closely monitored by your doc) won't kill you but can send you down a path that could create a whole new set of problems.

Sorry if I did! This is the third time this year I was told this at Yale! I ask straight forward saying if I lost my job and couldn't afford my meds. What would happen to me with no meds she says 3 months tops before you die. Disease would run rampant it would be a horrible death. They said this straight face to me. Ask Doctor is this a joke or just trying to scare me they said she can't lie. I have been sick since 2000 have had take down and j-pouch put in 01! Have never got better and have had many hospital stays! Been on many meds over the years never really worked! Remicade,Humira,6 mp,Cipro,flagyl,Predsione and now Methotrexate! I think the main thing their saying is with no meds to protect to me I'm open for attack just like in 00! Back then they gave me 6 months with all the blood and weight lost! I'm starting Tuesday Methotrexate it will be the only drug on besides vitamins .

Well I hope Mtx does wonders for you and you never lose insurance! Let us know how the injections go. Ocean & I are old pros..happy to help where I can!

Thank You will be doing pills because there is a shortage of the shot. Until there is more made then will do shots

There is a shortage? Now I feel bad I had to throw away her extra yesterday because she is off it and I can't give it back or give it to someone. Hopefully they fix the problem soon.

Without knowing the ins and outs of your history, I don't think any of us could say whether your doctor is correct or not. But it does sound, from what you've said, that you seem to have pretty severe Crohns. I certainly wouldn't like to take the risk of stopping taking any medicine whatsoever if I were in your shoes, if that helps any.

I have only recently been diagnosed though, and whilst my condition was quite bad because of how long I had been undiagnosed I don't think my Crohn's has been as rampant as yours was/is.

I am on Aza and waiting to see how it works out for me. I don't think I will go down the Methotrexate route if I can help it as I'm of childbearing age and hoping to have another child once/if my Crohn's is in check. But I really hope that it the Methotrexate works for you. My mother was on it for a while for RA.

thank you! Doctor even said this in front of my wife! I think the whole thing their saying is with no meds it will attack with fury ! Methotrexate why do you said this is this worst then all the other meds?

It's not worse than any of the other meds, the above poster is referring to the fact that it is not indicated for those who plan to get pregnant as it can cause abnormalities with the fetus. Usually, if female the GI only px'ed during child bearing years if you have a note saying you are on birth control.

I think it has also been established that men must take precaution as well. I'm not sure on that but will tag Dusty as I think she had more info.

My son was on oral methotrexate with remicade and is now only on injections of methotrexate. It was originally px'ed by his GI for CD but the injections were px'ed by his rheumatologist for spondylarthropathy.

I hope the methotrexate works well for you.

I was on methotrexate for about 5 years, just stopped recently like within the last month. Originally we were doing the injections, but being a kid at the time I hated it and finally convinced my doctor to let me take the pills after 3-4 years. The pills were fine, started at taking 10 then moved down to 8. At first it did help my lab results alot, especially albumin levels, both as injection and pills form. However I began taking humira along with it, and eventually moved off it within the last month as we felt it had ran its' course. It's a good medication, no flare ups, only side effect for me was nausea, which would last for 24 hours after taking it (zofran helped this somewhat). Hope it works well for you and feel better soon!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Sorry for the late reply to Clash’s tag Irish86.

Methotrexate, is as Clash has said, a drug that is definitely contraindicated for use by both males and females when planning a pregnancy as it has the ability to cause chromosomal changes. It needs to be stopped at least 3 months prior to planned conception. It is for this reason also that men and women of childbearing age that are sexually active must use some form of birth control.

Dusty. xxx

Methotrexate seemed to help my son for several years up until his flare in December/January which was a bad one. Now he's on Remicade and MTX together.

If you situation is truly that desperate you may want to consider the allogenic transplant study. Here's a link to information about that:

http://studies.fhcrc.org/cats/

And a Medscape article on it's success:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/804570
Not really but filled it out to see what happens. Thank You

Irish- the fact that your on MTX alone (correct me if Im wrong) bothers me. I speak from experience. I would seriously consider another doctor and fast. Can you afford to go out of state to a leading expert on this disease? If no PM me. I commute from Georgia out of state to the leading expert. I've run into local Doctor issues and strange drug reactions. None the less private message me. I take MTX with Humira to break down the antibodies. This gives humira a 30% more powerful punch to deal with the inflammation. Hope this gives insight.

Irish- the fact that your on MTX alone (correct me if Im wrong) bothers me. I speak from experience. I would seriously consider another doctor and fast. Can you afford to go out of state to a leading expert on this disease? If no PM me. I commute from Georgia out of state to the leading expert. I've run into local Doctor issues and strange drug reactions. None the less private message me. I take MTX with Humira to break down the antibodies. This gives humira a 30% more powerful punch to deal with the inflammation. Hope this gives insight.
Thanks insurance won't let my go. Yes only on MTX have done humira in the past. Remicade co-pay was crazy! Had help from remi-start but only lasted a few months before co-payment nightmares. In the beginning 01 Yale want if needed to go to Cleveland clinic or Leahy in Boston stop cold to much money. Who would be the man in Ct? Yale as always been good to me. My symptoms have always been many trips and my hold time short but goes up and down. Have 3 fistulas that drain at least once a day even with the drugs
and some stomach pains. Tough no big deal. Just signed to do bone marrow transplant for Crohn's insurance most likely will not let me have it. Thank You