Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » remission for six Months today!

05-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
remission for six Months today!

Today marks six months of being in remission!Six months ago today I had an emergency resection due to blockage.I was dx four days later with CD once the tests from the resected piece came back.I consider the day of my resection as the 'official' start of this journey for me,not the day I was diagnosed.

I found the Forum soon after coming home from the hospital.I can't thank everyone enough for the support! It has,and does,help me so much.All you Crohnies have been very patient and sharing..it really helps us newbies cope and get a grip on our new normal.

I may get knocked on my ass tomorrow...but I will be happy today.

My surgery was three days before Thanksgiving.I was diagnosed the day after Thanksgiving.I can still remember the aroma of turkey dinners being delivered to the other patients.M,M,M,M...I had a package of crackers.I admit,I was quite thankful for those crackers.

At the age of 50,my resection was my first ever surgery.I never stayed in the hospital before either.Neither was on my bucket list.

Thanks again to everyone for all the support! Six months in remission and counting...and I am having my turkey dinner today! WooHoo!!

Dave
05-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
scottsma

My Support Groups:
It's great to hear positive stories on here.It gives others hope.Thankyou for sharing.

And long may your remission last,Dave

Very best wishes.
05-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Tuff

My Support Groups:
Congrats, and thanks for sharing. It gives us all hope that there are better days ahead. Enjoy your dinner!

Stelara, Warfarin, calcium, Vitamins B12, D.
Previously: 5-Asa, Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone, Aza, Remicade.
Pulmonary Embolism, DVT's, osteopenia, Peripheral neuropathy.
05-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Excellent!!!

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
05-26-2014, 03:33 AM   #5
gemling

My Support Groups:
Wonderful, Dave. I was just diagnosed last week. Here's hoping I can post something similar in the next year!
Mid-Sept 2014 Another blockage
Oct 2014 Started Infliximab

Current Medications:
Infliximab Infusions (Remicade), Loading doses
Azathioprine (100mg)
Pentasa (4g)
Supplements:
Adcal-D3 (1g)
Ferrous Fumarate (420mg)
Multivitamin
05-26-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Congratulations Dave, so happy for you!

My kids, post resection, have been in remission for 8 and 3 years respectively, may you too enjoy the same success.

Onwards and Upwards!

Dusty. xxx
05-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone!!

Crohnies are awesome Here we go...six months,one day and counting...and the journey continues.

Dave
08-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
krishna

Hi Dave, Good to hear these kind of stories. Howz your health now, are you still using medicines
08-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi krishna,thanks for inquiring!

I recently had a small bowel follow through and the sections of jejunum that were re-joined look healthy and show no signs of stricturing.The test showed the rest of my upper GI was free of inflammation as well.I am very pleased about that,to say the least.

However...I have been rediagnosed with severe perianal crohns.I have had a fistulotomy three weeks ago and three draining setons placed.The fistulas are around my rectum.I was misdiagnosed by a previous GI and have had these for several years and they have progressed to a serious point.

My current GI and colorectal surgeon feel we caught the fistulas in time and I should be able to stear clear of a colostomy.I have started Remicade infusions and I'm hoping they will help.I did not want to start Remicade,but both my GI and Surgeon said I needed to be aggressive in order to save my rectum from further damage and hopefully close the fistulas.

I have been very busy and my new normal seems to keep changing.Thanks again for asking how I am doing.

How are you doing? What is it like dealing with IBD in India?
08-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Congrats to you!!! I am also in my first remission (around 1 year now!).

Wishing you continued good health!
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

08-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Congrats to you!!! I am also in my first remission (around 1 year now!).

Wishing you continued good health!
Thanks,I hope a year in remission is just the first of many more for you.
08-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
InkyStinky

My Support Groups:
Great news on your remission!!!!

Ethel: “So, is everything okey-dokey?” Lucy: “No, it’s inky-stinky” ~ I Love Lucy

-Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
08-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
Jay Woodman

My Support Groups:
Hi krishna,thanks for inquiring!

I recently had a small bowel follow through and the sections of jejunum that were re-joined look healthy and show no signs of stricturing.The test showed the rest of my upper GI was free of inflammation as well.I am very pleased about that,to say the least.

However...I have been rediagnosed with severe perianal crohns.I have had a fistulotomy three weeks ago and three draining setons placed.The fistulas are around my rectum.I was misdiagnosed by a previous GI and have had these for several years and they have progressed to a serious point.

My current GI and colorectal surgeon feel we caught the fistulas in time and I should be able to stear clear of a colostomy.I have started Remicade infusions and I'm hoping they will help.I did not want to start Remicade,but both my GI and Surgeon said I needed to be aggressive in order to save my rectum from further damage and hopefully close the fistulas.

I have been very busy and my new normal seems to keep changing.Thanks again for asking how I am doing.

How are you doing? What is it like dealing with IBD in India?
I also have Perianal Crohn's. I am currently treating two double tract fistulas with draining setons. I now have another fistula that requires another seton. What does it mean when the fistulas have progressed to a serious point?
Grape Seed Extract
Vitamin C
Vitamin D - 5000 IU Daily
Omega 3 - 2 teaspoons NutraSea daily
Methotrexate
Remicade (+Hydrocortisone)
08-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I also have Perianal Crohn's. I am currently treating two double tract fistulas with draining setons. I now have another fistula that requires another seton. What does it mean when the fistulas have progressed to a serious point?
H,m,m,m...not sure how to answer.I think he meant since I had multiple fistulas,that were never treated,the chance of even more occurring was/is quite high.

I see him in September and have been writing down questions to ask.I'm new to having setons and properly dealing with fistulas.I wish I could provide you with a better answer.

Good luck with the new seton.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » remission for six Months today!