Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Cooking With Crohn's » Simple low-fibre meals? I'm fed up of eating...

08-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Simple low-fibre meals? I'm fed up of eating...

If you've read many of my posts, you know my situation:
- I'm terribly underweight.
- I just got out of a five week hospital stay, during which the doctors determined that I need way more calories than normal people to gain weight.
-I have a stoma which blocks really easily, so I have to avoid all fibre.
-I have gastroparesis, so I get full up very easily.

I gained a couple of kilos in hospital, but only by making myself feel awful by stuffing myself with food all the time. I usually like plain food, and don't find a low-fibre diet particularly restrictive (though I do long for apples and pears and tomatoes and cucumber sometimes!). Right now almost nothing sounds appetising. The more I eat, the less I feel like eating. The only things I feel like at all right now are plain digestive biscuits and ice cream, and that's about it.

I can't think of a proper, cooked meal I want at all right now - any suggestions, that meet the criteria that result from my problems (low-fibre, not rich or stodgy or filling, but preferably calorie-dense)? I'm drinking lots of Ensures and other supplements, so vitamins are necessarily needed, but I'd like a proper meal suggestion, with carbs, protein and veg - I'm living off snacks at the moment.
08-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Here's a recipe I really like, and it has never caused me tummy troubles.

http://www.hellmanns.com/article/med...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's just 4 ingredients, and I'm presuming you could swap out the parmesan cheese and/or the breadcrumbs if gluten or lactose is an issue (do they make gluten-free breadcrumbs? And you could probably use something like rice cheese in place of the parm?). It's yummy without being too filling, it's got protein from the chicken and cheese, it's low-fiber, and with the mayonnaise and cheese it's high in calories. You could probably do a bit of steamed veggies as a side-dish if you want veggies with it.
08-16-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Thanks - I'm fine with lactose and gluten; that recipe's definitely the sort of thing I can eat.

(I'm also having a look at the other recipes on the site you linked to, as I happen to have a massive jar of Hellmann's in my fridge at the moment. )
08-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I didn't follow that specific recipe, but your suggestion did inspire me to have a cold roast chicken, avocado and mayonnaise sandwich today, which was yummy! So thank you! I also had a doughnut for a snack today, and, again, it was the first time in ages I didn't feel like I was just forcing food down that I really didn't want, so hopefully I'll be able to have some more days like this!
09-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
juggys69

My Support Groups:
I don't know about you, but egg's are a mainstay of mine. In the same boat, I eat very little, generally one meal a day, with skipping some days.

You can do a lot with eggs. My favorite way, what appeals to me most is poached, probably because they are bland, but they do have taste, if that makes sense. I do like to have toast with them though when poached, something I guess you'd want to avoid depending on the bread, but there are many low fiber varieties, I use white myself, which you could also.

White rice, with butter and you can add seasonings that won't bother you.

Bowl of mashed with gravy, or just butter, ( bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheddar and you have a "baked" potato. ) or butter and seasonings.

Thats my main diet. Kinda depressing when I look at it, I was a Chef, I love and miss food.
09-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
SmellyMelly

Simple low-fibre meals? I'm fed up of eating.
Don't eat then - only drink

I have already given the recipe for chicken potassium broth

Apparently it is......"a standard beverage for all the health spas and healing clinics in Sweden. Fasting patients always start the day with a big mug of potassium broth a cleansing, alkalizing and mineral-rich drink".

Miso soup is another good one - you could always leave out the tofu:

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/miso-soup-tofu

OR

https://beamingwithhealth.com.au/com...ing-a-lost-art

Ohh I am getting hungry now talking about all this delicious and healthy food.
09-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
Khaley

I second the miso soup. Yummy, nutritious and satisfying.
Small bowel resection with 3 strictureplasties Aug. 2014
Currently on Azathioprine 150mg, Remicade
09-12-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I have to eat now. I'm in hospital - was on total bowel rest for a while but my TPN line got infected, and now I'm healing well from the surgery, the doctors want me eating as much as i can. Broth's not really going to do much good.

I explained the changes in my situation in this thread : http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=67126
09-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

Apparently it is......"a standard beverage for all the health spas and healing clinics in Sweden. Fasting patients always start the day with a big mug of potassium broth a cleansing, alkalizing and mineral-rich drink".

OR

Too much liquid/broth/soup with a Stoma isn't a great idea. I was advised to stick with stodgy when I had mine to keep my output thick.

I love shepherds/cottage pie, it's low fibre and for me is a real comfort food.

Diagnosed: July 2009

Resection and removal of Enterocutaneous Fistula: Jan 2014
Pelvic infection Drainage: April 2013
Ileostomy reversal: February 2013
Ileocecal resection and temp. ileostomy (Say hello to Norman!): Nov 2012
Current Medication: NONE!

Past medications: Humira, Infliximab, Azapthioprine, Asacol, Budesonide, Prednisolone, Flagyl, Cipro, Cholestyramine (Questran), Fortisips.
09-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Too much liquid/broth/soup with a Stoma isn't a great idea. I was advised to stick with stodgy when I had mine to keep my output thick.

I'm in hospital now, so choice of food is limited, though I can have snacks brought in. I had cottage pie for tea yesterday.
09-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

Sorry, yes of course you are. I'm really tired and not using my brain this afternoon!

09-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:

OR

This advice is terrible for those with stomas, too much liquid can cause issues.
09-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #13
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
You know, I think the problem may well have been that the blockage was gradually forming in my intestines (I also found out that the blockage was actually caused by a knot in my intestine). Eating so much over the weeks that I was in hospital and after discharge speeded up the blocking. Now I'm just a couple of weeks post-op, but sometimes I'm actually liking eating again. I was sure the problem was psychological, as I couldn't put my finger on a physical symptom, but, though it's early days, things do feel different.
09-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Sorry, yes of course you are. I'm really tired and not using my brain this afternoon!
No problem, I'll save up the suggestions for when I'm home.
09-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #15
javanov

My Support Groups:
Rice flour based dishes in general probably would help, but difficult to make as the texture is so crumbly
09-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #16
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You know, I think the problem may well have been that the blockage was gradually forming in my intestines (I also found out that the blockage was actually caused by a knot in my intestine).
Unxmas, after my left hemicolectomy earlier this year I wasn't really all that hungry and the on day 6 when I was released from the hospital I wasn't hungry at all - headed back into the hospital the day after I came home and found out I had a blockage in my small intestine. After that was resolved, it was like a switch was flipped - the hunger was back. I'd eat my supper tray and be going to the fridge in the hospital floor for ice cream, crackers and peanut butter an hour later.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
09-14-2014, 02:33 AM   #17
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Unxmas, after my left hemicolectomy earlier this year I wasn't really all that hungry and the on day 6 when I was released from the hospital I wasn't hungry at all - headed back into the hospital the day after I came home and found out I had a blockage in my small intestine. After that was resolved, it was like a switch was flipped - the hunger was back. I'd eat my supper tray and be going to the fridge in the hospital floor for ice cream, crackers and peanut butter an hour later.
Good to know! Because I wasn't getting actual pain, I thought it was psychological. But it does now feel physically different now it's gone! It wasn't a sudden revelation of hunger for me, as at first I was too sick from the surgery to feel like eating at all, and on bowel rest besides. But as I'm recovering, the ease with which I can eat is picking up.
09-15-2014, 02:44 AM   #18
SmellyMelly

This advice is terrible for those with stomas, too much liquid can cause issues.
Please accept my apologies.

I did not read the original post properly.

I only read / saw:

"I have to avoid all fibre".

"I can't think of a proper, cooked meal I want at all right now"

"Any suggestions, that meet the criteria that result from my problems - low-fibre, not rich or stodgy or filling, but preferably calorie-dense"

And all my suggestions fit in with fibre-free

So simple solution is maybe drink some liquid but not too much liquid!!

You can make miso soup with silken tofu which is easy to digest and fiber-free ; and just hold back on the liquid content.

Or silken tofu with honey is a nice dessert that is easy on the digestive system and bowels.

Edited:

Although on second thoughts. UnXmas has already stated they are drinking two cups of coke per day, and is happy to do so with no problems.

Therefore, one cup of liquid broth or one cup of liquid miso soup, would be acceptable with stomas too. Surely!?

I know that coke can dissolve gastric phytobezoars associated with blockages. But is there even a blockage? I thought the question was just about low fibre foods and fed up of eating.

Last edited by SmellyMelly; 09-16-2014 at 09:51 PM.
09-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #19
IofNewt

My Support Groups:
I don't know about you, but egg's are a mainstay of mine. In the same boat, I eat very little, generally one meal a day, with skipping some days.

You can do a lot with eggs. My favorite way, what appeals to me most is poached, probably because they are bland, but they do have taste, if that makes sense. I do like to have toast with them though when poached, something I guess you'd want to avoid depending on the bread, but there are many low fiber varieties, I use white myself, which you could also.

White rice, with butter and you can add seasonings that won't bother you.

Bowl of mashed with gravy, or just butter, ( bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheddar and you have a "baked" potato. ) or butter and seasonings.

Thats my main diet. Kinda depressing when I look at it, I was a Chef, I love and miss food.
My boyfriend is a chef and now that he's gotten himself tangled up with a crohnie like me, the poor guy is at a loss on what to cook for me (us really, since no one wants to have to cook 2 different meals each night).

My own list of safe foods has shrunken considerably over the last few months, but thankfully, I can still eat most meats though too much will just make me feel like ass.
Started with Remicade Aug 6, 2014. Also using Imodium
Had resection in June 2013, but have a recurrence
already.
09-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #20
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

Please accept my apologies.

I did not read the original post properly.

I only read / saw:

"I have to avoid all fibre".

"I can't think of a proper, cooked meal I want at all right now"

"Any suggestions, that meet the criteria that result from my problems - low-fibre, not rich or stodgy or filling, but preferably calorie-dense"

And all my suggestions fit in with fibre-free

So simple solution is maybe drink some liquid but not too much liquid!!

You can make miso soup with silken tofu which is easy to digest and fiber-free ; and just hold back on the liquid content.

Or silken tofu with honey is a nice dessert that is easy on the digestive system and bowels.

Edited:

Although on second thoughts. UnXmas has already stated they are drinking two cups of coke per day, and is happy to do so with no problems.

Therefore, one cup of liquid broth or one cup of liquid miso soup, would be acceptable with stomas too. Surely!?

I know that coke can dissolve gastric phytobezoars associated with blockages. But is there even a blockage? I thought the question was just about low fibre foods and fed up of eating.

UnXmas has had a blockage recently, I believe that it was found after this thread was started.

It is advisable to drink a decent amount of liquid/water with a Stoma as it is easy to become dehydrated. However, an entirely liquid diet can cause real issues and make your output very hard to manage and control.

I personally love drinking coke, although I have cut back for personal reasons. But When I had my Stoma I was interested to note that often the guidance from Stoma nurses and gastros when you have a Stoma is to drink coke (and eat a packet of salted crisps) if you get dehydrated, so it can be medically advised! (As well as marshmallows and jelly babies, to help thicken your output!!)
09-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #21
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:

My own list of safe foods has shrunken considerably over the last few months, but thankfully, I can still eat most meats though too much will just make me feel like ass.
During this last hospital stay, I was eating a lot of meat. I'm not a big meat eater, especially red meat, not for any health reason, just not what I usually feel like. But when offered a limited hospital menu, where many dishes contained fibre and foods which could cause stoma blockages, and ones that might contain a lot of those things (e.g. lasagna, quiche), meat was often the safe option, and I found some of it not too bad - roast meats, chicken meatballs, etc.

I'm home now and have some beef and chicken burgers in the freezer, so I may see how they go.

I'm also beginning to get cravings for things, now that I'm healed from surgery and my intestine is in much better shape. I'm getting through packs of Werther's Originals (toffees) - especially because my mouth is so dry, and after taking meds that leave a yucky taste in my mouth, sucking on something yummy is nice. Not sure what it will do for my teeth though.

And for some reason in hospital I ate a lot of crackers, especially Ritz.

One of the nurses was telling me that when she'd been ill one time, all she wanted was yoghurts and Bombay spice mix. She reckoned the best way to gain weight is to eat anything you feel like, no matter how weird it is.

Last edited by UnXmas; 09-18-2014 at 05:20 AM.
09-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #22
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
UnXmas has had a blockage recently, I believe that it was found after this thread was started.

It is advisable to drink a decent amount of liquid/water with a Stoma as it is easy to become dehydrated. However, an entirely liquid diet can cause real issues and make your output very hard to manage and control.

I personally love drinking coke, although I have cut back for personal reasons. But When I had my Stoma I was interested to note that often the guidance from Stoma nurses and gastros when you have a Stoma is to drink coke (and eat a packet of salted crisps) if you get dehydrated, so it can be medically advised! (As well as marshmallows and jelly babies, to help thicken your output!!)
Yes, the blockage was found after, and since it's been fixed and I had a resection and new stoma, eating isn't quite so hard! I still get full very easily, but it's not like in the weeks before the blockage became total and my intestine perforated, when the thought of any food turned me off.

I've been told about jelly babies and marshmallows - I didn't know Coke was good for hydration though! I have been told to drink Coke at room temperature to settle my stomach though.

It's also been recommend to me as something to drink if your stoma is blocked; the fizz gets things moving through! But the blockage I had this time wasn't a blocked stoma, it was my small bowel. There was a knot in my intestines where it was difficult for food to move through. When I ate so much over the weeks I was in hospital to gain weight, that bit of intestine couldn't cope with all the extra waste moving through, and more and more got stuck there until it was completely blocked.

And another weird food recommendation: when I've not been allowed/able to eat, which was when I had ileus and when I was on bowel rest after this last surgery, I was told by the doctors and nurses to chew gum. It tricks your body into thinking you're eating, so your digestive system starts working, without actually burdening it with food. It's another one to try with a blocked stoma too, for the same reason.

It was so funny - at one point during this hospital stay, there was a very lovely lady on the ward who'd just had gastric bypass surgery. I felt a little mean eating all my build-up foods in front of her, when she was only allowed to eat soup! For obvious reasons we got to talking about food; she thought it was hilarious when I told her the dietary rules I have to follow due to being underweight and having a stoma: almost no fruit or veg, especially fresh, raw fruit and veg; no whole grains; no nuts or seeds; add salt to everything; don't drink too much fluid; good foods include refined grains, sweets, biscuits, puddings, etc.! She suggested we swap diets - I'd eat her small portions of soup and yoghurt, she'd eat my high calorie snacks.

(On a side note, I really admired her dedication to her health; it must be so tough if you love food, to give up so much. She said eventually she'd be able to eat a range of foods, in very small portions though, but still. And I know firsthand how horrible surgery is and how afterwards you'll always be susceptible to complications.She had another type of weight loss surgery years ago and lost eight stone, but put it back on again despite having had the surgery when her dad died. And now she's trying again.)

Last edited by UnXmas; 09-18-2014 at 07:13 AM.
09-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #23
javanov

My Support Groups:
Interesting hypothesis, eat what you like because that's what the body craves - the nutrients in that are exactly what you need, no matter how weird.

I have a theory that it's the taste too sometimes, sometimes you need sweet or savoury or sour to trigger certain thigns in your digestive system.

EDIT: I have found myself, sometimes, that sweet things help 'break' my constipation and by sweet, I mean the taste itself ie very sweet gum or tiny sweet-flavoured tic tacs, just a few of them trigger good digestive patterns
09-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #24
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Interesting hypothesis, eat what you like because that's what the body craves - the nutrients in that are exactly what you need, no matter how weird.

I have a theory that it's the taste too sometimes, sometimes you need sweet or savoury or sour to trigger certain thigns in your digestive system.

EDIT: I have found myself, sometimes, that sweet things help 'break' my constipation and by sweet, I mean the taste itself ie very sweet gum or tiny sweet-flavoured tic tacs, just a few of them trigger good digestive patterns
One problem I've found with this idea though is that often I really crave foods that would block my stoma. I love the taste of under-ripe pears and raw tomatoes especially. Also cucumber and raw apples. Having not had them in so long, perhaps my body's craving something in them, and wants me to eat them, but I know it would be too risky! Today I've compromised with tinned, skinless pears and pureed apple, but they're not the same as the fresh, raw stuff! Or perhaps the craving is cultural - we so often hear that we should eat fresh fruit and vegetables, that part of me feels I should be eating them even though it would more likely do more harm than good.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean about sweet taste helping your digestive system; as I mentioned in a post above, I've heard that chewing gum can get your digestive system moving, and I know that some mints and gums can have laxative effects, so presumably they stimulate digestion also, but it sounds like you're describing something different. Is it just gum and tic tacs that you've found to have this effect, or is it any sweet tasting food?
09-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Eating is definitely easier now the blockage is gone. I'm liking the taste of things again. But feeling full is still a problem. A meal starts off alright, but I know I have to eat past my comfort level to avoid being hospitalised again, so by the end my stomach's not feeling that good.
09-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #26
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I had home-made shepherd's pie today and it was good!
09-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #27
javanov

My Support Groups:
One problem I've found with this idea though is that often I really crave foods that would block my stoma. I love the taste of under-ripe pears and raw tomatoes especially. Also cucumber and raw apples. Having not had them in so long, perhaps my body's craving something in them, and wants me to eat them, but I know it would be too risky! Today I've compromised with tinned, skinless pears and pureed apple, but they're not the same as the fresh, raw stuff! Or perhaps the craving is cultural - we so often hear that we should eat fresh fruit and vegetables, that part of me feels I should be eating them even though it would more likely do more harm than good.
Is it possible to blend them into a smoothie maybe? Of course apples wouldn't be on a FODMAP diet ( which I presume you are on) but the other things you mentioned perhaps?

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean about sweet taste helping your digestive system; as I mentioned in a post above, I've heard that chewing gum can get your digestive system moving, and I know that some mints and gums can have laxative effects, so presumably they stimulate digestion also, but it sounds like you're describing something different. Is it just gum and tic tacs that you've found to have this effect, or is it any sweet tasting food?
Any sweet tasting food. What I wrote was quite generalized to be honest

Yes, chewing does stimulate digestion as well and obviously (I thought you were gonna pick me up on this ) chewing gum would contain FODMAP-incompatible things, which is why I stopped having them myself, mostly best to stick to pure sucrose although this causes rotting in the digestive system to so best not to have too much )difficult for someone like me with a sweet-tooth).

I have read that strawberries/papaya blended into a sweet smoothie are a good way to go and fairly healthy too as an after-dinner dessert
09-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #28
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I'm not on the FODMAP diet. Was there a reason you thought I would be?

I do have things like apple juice, pureed fruit, stewed fruit, etc., but somehow it's not the same as a crunchy apple! I have tomatoes in many forms - ketchup, soup, sauce - but I still crave a raw tomato!
09-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #29
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

I had home-made shepherd's pie today and it was good!

:-D That's great! Glad you enjoyed it!

09-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #30
javanov

My Support Groups:
I'm not on the FODMAP diet. Was there a reason you thought I would be?

I do have things like apple juice, pureed fruit, stewed fruit, etc., but somehow it's not the same as a crunchy apple! I have tomatoes in many forms - ketchup, soup, sauce - but I still crave a raw tomato!
Well there isn't top medical evidence suggesting it helps active IBD, but they say that a low-FODMAP diet can help stave off a new flare-up.

The specific carb diet is another one which I'm sure you are aware of

That's nice and I get ya, it's a bit like baby food isn't it? I mean it's nice in a mushy baby sort of way but yeah I yearn for the texture of food too, when I don't have it in solid form I mean.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Cooking With Crohn's » Simple low-fibre meals? I'm fed up of eating...