Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Anyone else trying mesalamine meds other than Delzicol

08-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Snickerdoodle

My Support Groups:
Anyone else trying mesalamine meds other than Delzicol

Hi all!
I had a nice run with Asacol but my insurance wont cover Delzicol until I have tried Lialda and Apriso first. Lialda gave me such crazy joint pain that I couldn't walk so now I am waiting on a new script for hopefully Delzicol but possibly Apriso. Does the Apriso give anyone arthritis like the Lialda does? I only knew Lialda did that by seeing it posted here...my rheumy and my physical therapist both missed that when I asked them why my 37 year old knees felt more like 97 year old ones!
Thanks!

Diagnosed March 2011
Symptomatic 7 years and Flaring...oo

Current meds/supps
Humira
Tagamet
Probiotics
Vit d
Multivitamin

Failed 6MP (too lethargic), Pentasa, Lialda, Apriso (joint pain beyond description)
08-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Sef0912

I was taken off of Delzicol today due to having horrible headaches when I took it. I am starting on Pentasa.
08-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Snickerdoodle

My Support Groups:
I started Pentasa on Friday after failing Lialda. Hope it works for you...so far I'm not seeing much improvement but I might do better next week when I am on a full dose.
08-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
I am currently taking pentasa, along with prednisolone. I am taking 2g a day and unfortunately I don't think that it is making much of a difference for me. I did start to feel a little better, but as I started reducing my steroids things got progressively worse to the point I had to call my nurse and let them know. I'm back up to 20 mg of prednisolone now, and have to stay on that dose until I see my consultant next week (I was supposed to be on 5 mg by then). At the moment I have not been told if I will remain on pentasa, but I think that they might start me on azathioprine if I continue to relapse while reducing steroids.

Remember that these medications are pretty mild as far as IBD meds go, and they can take some time to have a noticeable effect, so don't discount it yet.

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
08-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Snickerdoodle

My Support Groups:
I am not expecting miracles with any of the 5 ASA options...if my insurance ever takes away my Humira then I know I'm really in trouble. I'll update street next week how the full dose Pentasa goes.
08-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #6
Sef0912

I am currently taking pentasa, along with prednisolone. I am taking 2g a day and unfortunately I don't think that it is making much of a difference for me. I did start to feel a little better, but as I started reducing my steroids things got progressively worse to the point I had to call my nurse and let them know. I'm back up to 20 mg of prednisolone now, and have to stay on that dose until I see my consultant next week (I was supposed to be on 5 mg by then). At the moment I have not been told if I will remain on pentasa, but I think that they might start me on azathioprine if I continue to relapse while reducing steroids.

Remember that these medications are pretty mild as far as IBD meds go, and they can take some time to have a noticeable effect, so don't discount it yet.

My GI also said today that if nothing really starts to work in the next 2-3 weeks that I would be started on steriod therapy, so I can possibly end the current flare. If Pentasa does not work, we are going to move to Imuran. I really just want to get to the point of remission, but I don't like adding a million meds.
08-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
LodgeLady

I am 6 weeks on Pentasa. It has worked great for my Crohns. However I have had significant joint pain this week. I know it's from the Pentasa. Does anyone know if the joint pain will eventually subside? I don't want to stop the Pentasa as it is working great.

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Anyone else trying mesalamine meds other than Delzicol