Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Have you had your fecal calprotectin or CRP levels tested?

View Poll Results: Have you had your fecal calprotectin or CRP tested?
I have had both fecal calprotectin and CRP tested 76 41.99%
I have had just fecal calprotectin tested 20 11.05%
I have had just CRP tested 66 36.46%
I have not had either tested 19 10.50%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

01-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #31
reidme02

Thank you for this response! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, and this makes me feel a bit better (it is nice to know that I'm not the only one)!

Uveitis is an EIM(extra instestinal manifestation) of Crohn's Disease. I have read several threads on here of members that are dealing with Hashimotos and CD. As for alopecia and CD I did find this article(<---click here), that states there may be a correlation between the two.

You may want to utilize the forum search option at the top of the page to bring up relevant threads, a keyword search of alopecia or hashimotos should bring up the threads posted by other members.
02-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #32
Doodlehead's Mom

My daughter had a Calpro test done a couple weeks ago, her results came in this weekend and I looked at it on-line (Our Children's Hosp has a web site where I can see her medical records) Her GI Dr hasn't called us with the results yet, will probably get the call on Monday.

This is the first time she has had this done so I'm not sure what it all means. Her VALUE is >2000.0, the STANDARD says <or=162.9 and under FLAG is the letter A

So of course I'm stressing myself out waiting for the GI Dr's call. Is this good, bad, average?? Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks
02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #33
jac521

I never knew about the fecal test until I went on this site.

I always have a high C-Reactive Protein, along with high WBC and E-Sed. Rate and they are higher now than they have ever been.

Question: Would being on meds like Entocort alter the fecal test results?
02-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
David
Co-Founder

Doodlehead's Mom, that reading is abnormal and means your daughter probably has active inflammation and your GI is going to work to get that down.

Jac521, we'd hope that Entocort would lower the results as it lowers the inflammation. In your case, I still think it's worth having the test since they don't even know if you have IBD and it can help put in an additional sign post.
02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #35
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My 10 yr old has had frequent stomach aches this year and is light for 10. As he has a cousin with Crohn's the GP ran Calpro which came back above 600+ (my husband thought they said 617, I thought 670).

As a result he was referred to a GI who is now running scans to check for signs of Crohn's. Barium Follow Through X Ray was fine, next step is Colonoscopy & Biopsys. GI also sent away a second sample for Calproc test to check result, still waiting on results from that.

My the impression is he's concerned as to what course of action to take if all the other tests come back negative but the Calproc stays high. He admitted first time we saw us that the Calproc test was a new one to him but after some reading on the topic it's clearly one he now takes very seriously.
02-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #36
Doodlehead's Mom

David, I was thinking that but was hoping I was wrong. Guess all I can do is wait to talk to her GI doctor tomorrow. Thank you.
02-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #37
jac521

Jac521, we'd hope that Entocort would lower the results as it lowers the inflammation. In your case, I still think it's worth having the test since they don't even know if you have IBD and it can help put in an additional sign post.

David,

I was put on aspirin daily after having a cardiac stent placed in an artery in Sept.
I have never been able to tolerate aspirin or NSAIDs as they cause me to flare.I was told I have to take the aspirin along with Plavix. The longer I take it the sicker I get.

My CRP levels along with WBC have skyrocketed since I have been taking the aspirin. Nobody seems to believe me about the aspirin, even the Crohns Dr.
Aspirin raises TNF levels.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
02-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #38
kathleens

My Support Groups:
Hi my daughter age 13 yrs has had year of skin rashes , pustules and joint pains and now tummy pain they did fecal caliprotine test Mar 2012 and redone Sept 2012 reading came back 227 . Doctor told us only crohns or colitis , IBD raises it but now tests are clear saying she might have had cold or sore throat or something to raise it at the time didnt what to question the doctor about it at the time. They did camera scopes up and down and biopsys a alot of red spots .Results couple of weeks later doc said must be blemishes. They have also done bowel MRI with three bottles of mannitol and got letter today all CLEAR. Also her ANA bloods 1.640
02-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #39
David
Co-Founder

I wasn't aware that aspirin raises TNF. Can you link me to a study or reputable source on that please? I'm quite interested.
02-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #40
jac521

David-
Given my adverse reaction to aspirin I have spent hours researching TNFa levels and aspirin. However, I never took good notes as I didn't think anyone would be interested in it but myself.

When I get home this p.m. I will try to back track and forward you the info.

Jac521
02-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #41
jac521

Hi David,

Below is a link regarding aspirin and TNF levels.

http://www.jle.com/e-docs/00/01/60/18/article.phtml

Nothing makes me flare-up like aspirin. I detest the stuff as well as other NSAIDs. My heart Dr. says I have to take aspirin because I have a stent and I have been sick ever since they started me on it Sept. I can't continue to live like this until Sept. this yr. when I am supposed to be able to stop it. I can't taper my Entocort down to 6 mg being on the aspirin as it has me so inflamed. Whenever I try a taper I just get increased symptoms. Last time I tried a taper, I ended up with mouth sores and a bad fissure and the Dr. Told me to go back to the 9 mgs of the Entocort. Oh well I'm rambling on as usual.

If you would like me to dig up more of the info I have on aspirin and TNF, just let me know.

Jac521
02-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #42
David
Co-Founder

Thanks for the article, I appreciate it! I skimmed it and have put it on my, "Read Carefully" list
02-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #43
KWalker

I have only had my CRP tested. I wonder how much we range among eachother with CRP levels. Mine was 35. Is anybody higher?

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
02-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #44
jac521

Do insurances cover the faecal calprotectin test?
02-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #45
Clash
Forum Monitor

jac521, our ins. didn't but I thinks some do. Depends on the ins. co. I guess.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
03-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #46
LittleChloe

My Support Groups:
Chloe's just had the test yesterday so i don't know the results yet. Her GI wants to check the effectiveness of the current treatment. He's still skeptical about Ldn so maybe if we get good numbers it will help convince him. What would a good level be for a crohns patient? I don't know much about this test so I read the wiki. It seems that under 50 is normal. But should we expect it be to higher since she has crohns or are we going for normal?
03-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #47
David
Co-Founder

You want it to be normal. Elevated would reflect the likelihood of active inflammation.
03-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #48
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I guess I should change my vote now, cause my GI has requested it as he said he would and I took my sample in to my local surgery last week. This is first time since I originally flared in August 2010. I'm glad they're doing it and think GI decided on this one as just before my surgery I had a clear colonoscopy and normal CRP, but was still badly inflamed in the TI area when they went in to do the resection to sort out a fistula. My GI told me last time he wanted this test to make sure ' the Crohn's is not sneaking up on you again' because happily I'm really well at the moment and hopefully in remission.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
04-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #49
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Perhaps should mention Liam had this retested 4 months later and normal. Was interested to see Kathleens also mention her child having one high test then a normal one.

Our GI's response to the change was to say the initial result (490) may have been a laboratory error. The first one was done at the end of period of a couple of months of being unwell, the second three days after symptoms returned (after being symptom free 3 months), I wonder if the timing could have played a part in the different results.
06-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #50
Jam300

My Support Groups:
Just got my results back and found that my levels are currently at 310
Currently undergoing re-assessment.
06-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #51
stefan

I've never had a fecal calprotectin test done as they've only recently become easily accessible (read: publicly funded) in Australia and I've been in remission for a few years. Quite a few other people I know here have had them regularly though, in part to help avoid unnecessary colonoscopies -- hopefully these less invasive tests continue to be more frequently utilised!
07-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #52
mcornelius

My Support Groups:
My 11 y/o daughter was dx with Crohn's disease in March 2013. She has had 2 fecal calprotectin levels. The first results were 1175...the second after the treatments of remicade....140. So it showed a lot of improvement (less inflammation).
07-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #53
mcornelius

My Support Groups:
forgot to mention that she also gets crp, sed, albumin, cbc (these more often- every 3rd treatment I think)
10-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #54
jane41042

New to this. Trying to find information. Daughter is 15 type 1 diabetic. Having severe joint issues and just some minor belly issues. Fecal calprotectin was 351 and CRP was 1.EGD and Colonosopy only showed Chronic esophagitis. Nothing major. They want to repeat these levels in a month. She has had a wt loss of 25lbs since July. She never has diarrhea, she seems to be more constipation. Any ideas what this could be. Her endo was sure it would be Crohn or celiac but the Gastro wouldn't give me any answers to that question until test are repeated. In the mean time she is still having so many joint isues. Knees, hips, wrist, fingers and toes and she has this skin sensitivity to touch. For example if you use your finger and write a time it will turn white and stay there for 5-10 min. Looking for any ideas. Could it be Crohns
10-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #55
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Hi Jane41042,

So sorry your daughter is having problems! I don't have any experience with celiac so I'm not sure what the symptoms would be... crohns can present with either diarrhea or constipation, weight loss is also very common as are joint pains.

I'm going to suggest a few other areas of the forum where you might find additional info...

first, you may want to repost your questions in the Parents of Kids with IBD, there are tons of very knowledgeable and supportive parents there - I'm sure they'll have some advice for you.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

As for her joint pains and skin sensitivity, crohns can present with inflammation in various areas, look through the EIM (extra-intestinal manifestations) sections.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81

As far as her tests, fecal calprotectin will identify intestinal inflammation - my son has never had this test so I'm not certain of the normal ranges of this test. CRP indicates inflammation anywhere in the body so it could be due to an injury, a bad cold, infections, etc. Our normal range is under 5 but, depending on where you live, there are different normal ranges.

Here's another link to the Test subforum

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=220

Also look through the Forum wiki for information on just about anything!

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Hope some of that helps! Good luck!

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
09-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #56
RickUK

My Support Groups:
I have had both. CRP blood test came back ever so slightly raised, but faecal calprotectin from my stool sample which was taken same day as the bloods, came back very high. Awaiting diagnosis after my colonoscopy and MRI.

My consultant did give me the impression that faecal calprotectin is a better indicator than CRP. He kind of said anything over sort of 120-130 calprotectin is likely IBD as oppose to IBS
09-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #57
RickUK

My Support Groups:
Sorry for double post. Have now been given my actual faecal caprotectin result, as was originally only told "it's more than raised".

I now know my faecal calpro came back at 742. Which, from what I have read and been told, tends to mean IBD is likely.
09-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #58
Morag

Had mine tested last year when went to GP with persistent diarrhoea- result 940.
Colonoscopy followed 3 months later which gave me my diagnosis of lymphocytic colitis.
09-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #59
RickUK

My Support Groups:
Had mine tested last year when went to GP with persistent diarrhoea- result 940.
Colonoscopy followed 3 months later which gave me my diagnosis of lymphocytic colitis.
Glad you got a dx. A few people on the forum did theirs as they came out of a flare up. My GI wanted mine done during a flare up, as they did yours too.

Doubt it makes much difference?
04-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #60
Daisie99ca

I have been unwell since Nov 2015- started with abdominal pain, urgent watery stools (8-12/day, no blood), nausea and weight loss. I have had IBS for > 20 years, but this was so different than anything I had ever experienced. I finally got in to see my GI in Feb 2016- blood work showed iron defeciency anemia, slightly elevated white count and nomral CRP. He did a fecal calprotectin that came back over 1400. He did a colonoscopy, which was normal.

I started on Pentasa 3 gm/day (because of the elevated calprotectin level) and Iron supplements. I started to feel somewhat better (less urgency, bulkier stool and a little less pain) after about 18 days on the Pentasa, but that only lasted about a week. I am now back to where I started with pain and frequent urgent stool. I had an upper endoscopy this week, which was also normal. The GI has told me to stop the Pentasa, as now he thinks we are dealing with IBS, not IBD. I am waiting for the results of a second calprotectin now to determine what is next. If normal- ?? back to square one I guess-- if elevated he wants to do a capsule endoscopy to have a look at the small intestine.
Does anyone out there have CD that is isolated to the small bowel? I am so frustrated with with feeling so crappy!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Have you had your fecal calprotectin or CRP levels tested?