Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Cooking With Crohn's » Simple low-fibre meals? I'm fed up of eating...

09-25-2014, 12:17 AM   #31
juggys69

My Support Groups:
Eating is definitely easier now the blockage is gone. I'm liking the taste of things again. But feeling full is still a problem. A meal starts off alright, but I know I have to eat past my comfort level to avoid being hospitalised again, so by the end my stomach's not feeling that good.
Your primary hasn;t told you to focus on eating smaller meals ? As in yes, eat more, but smaller meals, just more often. I don't even listen on that part, but I know I should.

Also, I am sure others have told you, but Coke is terrible. I drink soda as well, as it calms my stomach and helps with gas ( I know that makes no sense, but it does ) but I don't drink Coke. I'd advise you to find a new cola choice, you can actually use Coke to clean engine parts, now think about what that does to your stomach. Not saying stop with soda, saying you should choose a different brand is all.

I have a friend that used to drink Coke, at least a 2 liter a day, he developed stomach issues exactly because of that and can no longer drink soda at all, it was the Coke that caused the damage. Just something to think about.
09-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #32
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Your primary hasn;t told you to focus on eating smaller meals ? As in yes, eat more, but smaller meals, just more often. I don't even listen on that part, but I know I should.

Also, I am sure others have told you, but Coke is terrible. I drink soda as well, as it calms my stomach and helps with gas ( I know that makes no sense, but it does ) but I don't drink Coke. I'd advise you to find a new cola choice, you can actually use Coke to clean engine parts, now think about what that does to your stomach. Not saying stop with soda, saying you should choose a different brand is all.

I have a friend that used to drink Coke, at least a 2 liter a day, he developed stomach issues exactly because of that and can no longer drink soda at all, it was the Coke that caused the damage. Just something to think about.
I do eat small meals, but still get full! I eat four to five small meals a day, plus supplements and high-calorie drinks in between. Though lately I've found it made a change to not spread things out so much, so that when I come to a meal, it's been a good few hours since I last consumed anything. But I have gastroparesis, so even a tiny amount of food can fill me up.

I know Coke's not healthy, but it's calories and it's my one vice. I don't smoke, don't drink alcohol, don't drink coffee, don't eat takeaways, etc. I had a couple of weeks without Coke when I was healing from the surgery, but usually I have a glass or two a day, and don't feel any ill effects from it. I was told by a doctor that Coke drunk at room-temperature helps settle the stomach. I know there are healthier things I could be drinking, but at the moment getting in more calories is my priority, and that's much easier to do if I like what I'm consuming.
09-25-2014, 04:13 AM   #33
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Well there isn't top medical evidence suggesting it helps active IBD, but they say that a low-FODMAP diet can help stave off a new flare-up.

The specific carb diet is another one which I'm sure you are aware of

That's nice and I get ya, it's a bit like baby food isn't it? I mean it's nice in a mushy baby sort of way but yeah I yearn for the texture of food too, when I don't have it in solid form I mean.
I think my diet is limited enough as it is. I tried various strict diets that were supposed to help with symptoms in the past, and didn't find they helped at all. One of my gastroenterologists did suggest the FODMAP diet to me recently, but from what I read, it didn't sound convincing.
09-25-2014, 04:43 AM   #34
juggys69

My Support Groups:
I know Coke's not healthy, but it's calories and it's my one vice. I don't smoke, don't drink alcohol, don't drink coffee, don't eat takeaways, etc. I had a couple of weeks without Coke when I was healing from the surgery, but usually I have a glass or two a day, and don't feel any ill effects from it. I was told by a doctor that Coke drunk at room-temperature helps settle the stomach. I know there are healthier things I could be drinking, but at the moment getting in more calories is my priority, and that's much easier to do if I like what I'm consuming.
I agree with you about soda, as I have already said, and much the same, I get a lot of my actual needed daily calories from soda, I just don't agree on the Coke part. Like for cola I drink Pepsi.

All that stuff I said about Coke is absolutely true btw, you can google it and you'll come across many more stories like it. A soda that can eat rust and clean engine parts is not doing happy things to your stomach lining.

As for the gas part, I suspect you are also much like me and for whatever odd reason carbonated drinks actually help us in that aspect.

I just think you should change cola brands is all, not stop drinking it.
09-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #35
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I once tried a supermarket brand of cola - purely because it was so much cheaper than real Coke, but found it disgusting! I've never tried Pepsi though, or at least not since I was a kid, probably. Is it really significantly less harmful? Lemonade I also like. Maybe I'll do some experimenting next shopping order.
09-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #36
juggys69

My Support Groups:
I once tried a supermarket brand of cola - purely because it was so much cheaper than real Coke, but found it disgusting! I've never tried Pepsi though, or at least not since I was a kid, probably. Is it really significantly less harmful? Lemonade I also like. Maybe I'll do some experimenting next shopping order.
Yes, Pepsi is really that much less harmful, I'm not making this stuff up about Coke, my dad was a master mechanic, I've actually seen the Coke eating rust and cleaning engine parts with my own eyes.

You may not like Pepsi either, I know exactly what you like in Coke, its that "sharpness", Pepsi is more sweet, but there are other name brand cola's out there as well to try, its only Coke I say this about. I've read a lot of your story, just don't want to see you adding to your problems down the road is all. Try some of the other name brand colas and see if there's one you like is all I'm saying, I agree with you about generic brands, they are GoD awful.
09-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #37
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Been feeling more full the last couple of days, eating has been harder. For some reason I'm craving meat though. I've never been much of a meat eater so I don't know where this craving is coming from! Going to try a burger for lunch today!
09-28-2014, 05:23 AM   #38
juggys69

My Support Groups:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=67483

When we crave something means we need something that it supplies our body. If you're really, really craving it that is, like a pregnant woman craves things kinda. Happens to me here and there and its usually red meat~~
09-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #39
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:

When we crave something means we need something that it supplies our body. If you're really, really craving it that is, like a pregnant woman craves things kinda. Happens to me here and there and its usually red meat~~
I often get cravings, just never for meat before! In the weeks right before my bowel blocked, I had no cravings, everything seemed repulsive, so I'm hoping these cravings are a sign things are OK now. I've been worrying about it, because since the surgery I hadn't been feeling nearly so full, but these last few days, I've felt very full all the time again, which is a massive disappointment. At least I'm getting cravings despite feeling full, but now feeling so full isn't just horribly unpleasant, it makes me worry about having another blockage building up too.

The burger was nice, but I was forcing it down by the end, and still feel very full now. It has satisfied my meat craving!

I'm not sure whether I crave what my body needs; presumably I needed things when the blockage was building up, but I didn't crave anything. And a for the past few weeks I had a very specific craving for Werther's Original; I'm not sure if there's anything in that that couldn't be found in any other toffee or sweet! Having around a bag a day for a few weeks seems to have satiated that craving now though!
09-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #40
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'll try the Coke in the garage the next time I have something to degrease. Reminds me about the story of Tang orange juice crystals being used to clean dishwashers.

Funny thing is I prefer Coke over Pepsi but prefer Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke

Glad to hear the burger went OK

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
09-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #41
juggys69

My Support Groups:
I often get cravings, just never for meat before! In the weeks right before my bowel blocked, I had no cravings, everything seemed repulsive, so I'm hoping these cravings are a sign things are OK now. I've been worrying about it, because since the surgery I hadn't been feeling nearly so full, but these last few days, I've felt very full all the time again, which is a massive disappointment. At least I'm getting cravings despite feeling full, but now feeling so full isn't just horribly unpleasant, it makes me worry about having another blockage building up too.

The burger was nice, but I was forcing it down by the end, and still feel very full now. It has satisfied my meat craving!

I'm not sure whether I crave what my body needs; presumably I needed things when the blockage was building up, but I didn't crave anything. And a for the past few weeks I had a very specific craving for Werther's Original; I'm not sure if there's anything in that that couldn't be found in any other toffee or sweet! Having around a bag a day for a few weeks seems to have satiated that craving now though!
When I say crave, I mean like its all you can think about and for days. Me with red meat I think is Iron, at a guess anyways, when it happens.

I'll try the Coke in the garage the next time I have something to degrease. Reminds me about the story of Tang orange juice crystals being used to clean dishwashers.

Funny thing is I prefer Coke over Pepsi but prefer Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke

Glad to hear the burger went OK
I know, I know, it sounds like an old wives tale or an urban legend, but its not.

Here's what you do, do as you said, throw a couple of rusty spark plugs in there as well, now do a second one with any other cola, make it Pepsi I guess since thats Cokes main competitor, cover the buckets and come back a week later. The Coke ones will gave eaten the rust and cleaned the parts, the other cola will have done nothing.

Another interesting fact about Coke, its original formula contained real cocaine, this was before it was known that it was a narcotic, you can google that, its historical fact, no wonder those old people used to get up and start dancing after drinking one !
09-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #42
juggys69

My Support Groups:

About the full feeling, you are still eating smaller meals and more of them as a concept instead of trying to eat the normal big three or two a day right ? The fullness thing is just something a lot of us deal with. I even feel like I just swallowed a brick after I eat my pills, a lot of the meds I take, you get that as well ?
09-29-2014, 04:14 AM   #43
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
After feeling so full yesterday, in the evening the feeling diminished quite a bit. So I'm hopeful that even if the surgery hasn't meant the fullness has gone forever, I may at least have some good days where eating is easier. I'm not sure why I had a couple of bad days when I did, or why yesterday evening was better. But overnight my stoma produced far more output than normal. Usually I empty one or two times in the evening (each time when the bag is half full), then while I'm asleep another half bag will come out, which I empty first thing in the morning. Yesterday I emptied twice in the evening, as normal, but then when I woke up this morning the bag was completely full, practically bursting. Not water either, semi-solid output as it's supposed to be. I would say that getting that out was what stopped me feeling full, but the fullness diminished prior to that. Unless perhaps the fullness went when all that waste moved to a different part of my digestive system.

At the moment I usually eat four meals: breakfast is a normal size, then a small lunch, a small meal for tea late afternoon/early evening, then a small supper before bed. Midmorning and mid-afternoon I'll have a calorific drink (e.g. Ensure, hot chocolate, milk). Sometimes a drink in the evening too. Then throughout the day I'll usually have some fruit juice, some Coke, and often I'll pick at some chocolates or sweets as well.

But lately I have found that not eating quite so frequently can actually help me. If I have nothing for a few hours, when I do come to have a meal, I'm physically and mentally more inclined to eat. If I don't, I often get the feeling that I'm just constantly eating, and want a break from it.

Along with feeling so full from gastroparesis, I also need more calories than someone of my height, weight, etc. should need in order to gain weight, so I'm having to eat a lot.

Have you found anything (medication) that helps with the fullness? Do you force yourself to eat when you're full?

Last edited by UnXmas; 09-29-2014 at 04:37 AM.
09-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #44
juggys69

My Support Groups:
Nope, like I said, my stomach dislikes the meds as well even.

As for forcing myself, yeah, pretty much, I know I have to eat something when I've gone to long even if I'm not inclined to do so.
09-30-2014, 03:33 AM   #45
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I know, I know, it sounds like an old wives tale or an urban legend, but its not.

Here's what you do, do as you said, throw a couple of rusty spark plugs in there as well, now do a second one with any other cola, make it Pepsi I guess since thats Cokes main competitor, cover the buckets and come back a week later. The Coke ones will gave eaten the rust and cleaned the parts, the other cola will have done nothing.

Another interesting fact about Coke, its original formula contained real cocaine, this was before it was known that it was a narcotic, you can google that, its historical fact, no wonder those old people used to get up and start dancing after drinking one !
Yesterday I had no Coke at all. I drank some orange juice instead.
09-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #46
juggys69

My Support Groups:
Yesterday I had no Coke at all. I drank some orange juice instead.
Good for you, soda will be staying a mainstay of mine though, I know I should add in things like OJ, just I like it, but more an every now and then thing + the acid bothers me. I do like v8 though, I suppose I should drink more of that, but I'm sure there's something wrong with doing that as well, seems like now a days they can point out reasons for everything being bad for you, never mind when you have health problems to go on top of it.

Have you given any other cola's a whirl to see if you liked one of them ?
09-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #47
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Haven't tried another cola yet. Stuck with orange juice today too. But you're right: I've heard fruit juice is unhealthy because it contains so much sugar, so you can't win really!

I'm still getting pretty full at times, but it's definitely better than before the surgery. It's strange though; it's not just the fullness that's changed, when I had the blockage, nothing tasted right, the thought of eating anything was repulsive. Now I'm back to how I used to be, even when I'm full, I can recognise that things taste nice and that eating is a comfort.

It would be very interesting to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this. I'm wondering if I get another blockage I'll be able to recognise it earlier if I find eating so horrible again.

I'm learning that if I feel full, it will pass after a few hours. I'm trying to eat whatever appeals to me, so avoiding making eating anymore unpleasant than it needs to be. But I'm torn between stopping when I know I've had enough of something and not eating if I'm still really full, or forcing myself to eat because I need to put the weight on. I haven't weighed myself very accurately lately (weighing at different times of day, in different clothes, etc.), but I've pretty much stayed the same weight since a week ago. I get weighed by the doctor on Friday, and will probably be back in hospital if it doesn't go up.

Last edited by UnXmas; 09-30-2014 at 01:37 PM.
10-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #48
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Talking of cravings - a weird thing happened when I was in hospital; my blood sugar dropped very low (the result of suddenly stopping TPN), and besides making me tired and shaky, I was more thirsty than I've ever been in my life. The nurses gave me half a litre of Lucozade, which I normally don't like, and a couple of glasses of water, which again, I don't like much, but I was so thirsty I didn't care about the taste. But what I really wanted was milk. I drank about three glasses in the space of an hour. Later, when my fever was very bad, same thing: I desperately wanted milk. Whereas after my first stoma surgery, when I had a fever (fevers often make me very thirsty), I wanted apple juice, and when I got some I thought apple juice was the best thing I'd ever tasted.

It would be very interesting to know what was driving these cravings!
10-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #49
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I gained 0.1 of a kilo when weighed by the nurse this morning - I hope that's enough to keep the doctors satisfied for now. I really think the best thing for my digestive system is to gain weight slowly.

I have had some Coke today, I had some orange juice too, and only one small glass of Coke. So, small changes, hopefully small improvements will come too.
10-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #50
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I had a yummy roast dinner - with a little bit of the vegetables too, all blended, followed by sponge pudding and custard.

And lately I've been picking at sweets and chocolates between meals, I'm not sure if this is a good thing.

I guess I can see why some doctors don't believe me, when I can eat like this and barely gain weight.
10-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #51
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Latest craving = chocolate.
10-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #52
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I definitely have a pattern: some days, and sometimes for a few consecutive days, with no break, I'll feel really full. I might get half a bag or so of stoma output. Then, eventually, I'll get a sudden and decent-sized stoma output - the bag filling rapidly, a bag-full in the space of a minute, sometimes succeeded quite quickly by another bag full. Then the fullness is gone, and I might get a day free from that fullness, but with little output, and then it begins over again. Now that I'm weighing myself daily, I've realised that I drop a significant bit of weight on the days where my stoma is active too. (Independently of this, I'll get stomach-fullness, depending largely on how much I eat. And I get full on a smaller amount of food than is normal.)

I definitely want to talk to a doctor about laxatives. I don't see another way round this problem.

Last edited by UnXmas; 10-05-2014 at 03:44 PM.
10-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #53
jazzygirl52

My Support Groups:
Here's a recipe I really like, and it has never caused me tummy troubles.

http://www.hellmanns.com/article/med...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's just 4 ingredients, and I'm presuming you could swap out the parmesan cheese and/or the breadcrumbs if gluten or lactose is an issue (do they make gluten-free breadcrumbs? And you could probably use something like rice cheese in place of the parm?). It's yummy without being too filling, it's got protein from the chicken and cheese, it's low-fiber, and with the mayonnaise and cheese it's high in calories. You could probably do a bit of steamed veggies as a side-dish if you want veggies with it.
This is a great recipe and makes the chicken delicious. Yes there are Gluten Free breadcrumbs on the market. You could probably make it with corn flakes (corn is no gluten) crushed up too and sometimes the mayo and cheese bother my stomach a bit but I will live with it for a little guilty pleasure. I also have a recipe that I use Ranch Dressing in a baked fried chicken recipe. You coat the chicken with bread crumbs and dip in ranch dressing and dip in crumbs again and sprinkle parm cheese and seasonings on it and bake for 25 min or so (palm of hand size chicken breasts is what I use) and it's moist and delicious and probably fattening. ALSO, they must have high fat high protein shakes out there... Ensure and Boost may have a version. Good luck!
10-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #54
juggys69

My Support Groups:
I definitely have a pattern: some days, and sometimes for a few consecutive days, with no break, I'll feel really full. I might get half a bag or so of stoma output. Then, eventually, I'll get a sudden and decent-sized stoma output - the bag filling rapidly, a bag-full in the space of a minute, sometimes succeeded quite quickly by another bag full. Then the fullness is gone, and I might get a day free from that fullness, but with little output, and then it begins over again. Now that I'm weighing myself daily, I've realised that I drop a significant bit of weight on the days where my stoma is active too. (Independently of this, I'll get stomach-fullness, depending largely on how much I eat. And I get full on a smaller amount of food than is normal.)

I definitely want to talk to a doctor about laxatives. I don't see another way round this problem.
I'd call it a "cycle" more than a pattern, and I think pretty much all of us have it, though I get why people with stomas might prefer the word pattern over cycle.

I'm glad to hear you are eating more and again, about the weight gain, I think you're right and it will be slowly if at all, I'm surprised your doctors don't realize this and think you should gain fast. People like us do not gain weight exactly because we have digestive tract issues, much more so with you missing some of yours.

Before I got to were I am now, when I was "healthy" I could eat amazing amounts of food and I never gained a pound, betting it was the same for you. My primary said that very fact was a warning sign of issues to come in the future, but I never went to the doctors when I was "healthy", nor would I have mentioned such a thing as I always thought it was because I am hyper.
10-07-2014, 03:20 AM   #55
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Before I got to were I am now, when I was "healthy" I could eat amazing amounts of food and I never gained a pound, betting it was the same for you. My primary said that very fact was a warning sign of issues to come in the future, but I never went to the doctors when I was "healthy", nor would I have mentioned such a thing as I always thought it was because I am hyper.
Interesting. All my health problems kicked off just as I was entering my teens. As a child I'd been perfectly healthy. And I was always underweight, just slightly, all through my childhood, though I was tall too, so I can't have been too malnourished. But I ate a lot. We got a lot of exercise, and had a lot of healthy food, and my parents made my siblings and me eat our fruit and vegetables - though they didn't have to make me, I liked fruit and veg, but my siblings were picky. But we also ate treats. My siblings were prone to weight gain, they didn't get fat, but only because my parents limited their treats. But I ate everything and yet I was skinny. (I got my treats limited too, but only because it would have been mean to make my siblings watch me eat nice things while they got none. So when my siblings wanted more treats than my parents thought suitable, they'd get told "no," whereas I'd get told "have some bread if you're hungry," or "have a banana.")

Now my sister is overweight, despite dieting (but there's no magic about this - her "diets" simply contain too much food for her to be slim!) and my brother slightly overweight, but having constantly to make himself exercise and eat less than he wants, consciously choosing low calorie foods, etc.
10-10-2014, 04:49 AM   #56
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Official weigh-in at the doctor's: up 0.2kg since last week.
10-10-2014, 04:58 AM   #57
SarahD

Fantastic, keep up the hard work

Current meds:
Azathioprine, Allopurinol, Calcichew D3-Forte, Fortijuice, Alendronic acid, Ranitidine

Previous meds:
Augmentin, Doxycycline, Lansoprazole, Asacol, Pentasa, Prednisolone, Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl, Elemental Extra 028
10-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #58
gemling

My Support Groups:
Yay, moving in the right direction UnXmas. Good job!
Mid-Sept 2014 Another blockage
Oct 2014 Started Infliximab

Current Medications:
Infliximab Infusions (Remicade), Loading doses
Azathioprine (100mg)
Pentasa (4g)
Supplements:
Adcal-D3 (1g)
Ferrous Fumarate (420mg)
Multivitamin
10-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #59
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Thanks. I know it's very little, but the previous week I was up 0.2kg also, so at least it's the start of a trend. I still worry any more food is going to lead to another disaster with my digestive system. But it's so much easier to eat now! Having fish and chips tonight.
10-11-2014, 04:02 AM   #60
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I'm also on prednisone again. Last time I didn't gain weight on it, and I didn't think it made me hungry, exactly, but in retrospect I think I felt less full on it, even if I didn't notice an actual appetite. Maybe it'll make eating a little easier this time too. I had a short course of prednisolone a few months ago, which made me feel full of energy, even on a low dose, and that kicked in very quickly. I've not noticed any changes with this new dose of prednisone yet. Yesterday I'd had severe diarrhoea, and then felt very comfortable, because the fullness was gone, I wondered if that was the prednisone making me hungry (or less full, anyway), but now my bowel has slowed down to its normal speed I'm full again.

Last edited by UnXmas; 10-12-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Cooking With Crohn's » Simple low-fibre meals? I'm fed up of eating...