• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Strictures Can't be Dialated Anymore

Hello everyone.
Since this is a stricture support Let me post what I have. I have an anal stricture or stenosis. I have had 4 balloon dilations since my diagnosis of Crohn's on 1989. Last year I joined Kaiser an HMO in California and have had 2 of the 4 dilations from the same doctor. do not like the doctor because with him everything is black and white and gray at all. He told me last time I had the dilation which was Sept. 2014 that there is only a finite amount of times that I can have the dilation because of the scar tissue. He said to me once I can no longer be dilated I will have to wear a colostomy bag. I have to get a second opinion. The doctor also said If the scar tissue is removed that it will come back.

Hello everyone.
Since this is a stricture support Let me post what I have. I have an anal stricture or stenosis. I have had 4 balloon dilations since my diagnosis of Crohn's on 1989. Last year I joined Kaiser an HMO in California and have had 2 of the 4 dilations from the same doctor. do not like the doctor because with him everything is black and white and gray at all. He told me last time I had the dilation which was Sept. 2014 that there is only a finite amount of times that I can have the dilation because of the scar tissue. He said to me once I can no longer be dilated I will have to wear a colostomy bag. I have to get a second opinion. The doctor also said If the scar tissue is removed that it will come back.

I've had a lot of stricture experience so hopefully this will help. First I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion and I believe the best place to do that would be at the Cleveland Clinic. I've had doctors tell me things were impossible, went to Cleveland, they made the impossible possible. Don't want to raise false expectations but they are truly remarkable.

It is generally "true" that there is a cap on dilations but strictures can be repaired sometimes with a stricture-plasty or a repair of the stricture which is like a small reception.

It is frustrating to have a doctor you don't like and I know it's tough when you do need some sort of local care, but given what you've written here I'd recommend going to the experts.
Best of luck.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Scar tissue is a major problem. It does return over time.
Do you have an appointment for a second opinion.