Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Butter vs extra virgin olive oil - Which one is more healthy? Which one do you choose? Why?

11-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
Butter vs extra virgin olive oil - Which one is more healthy? Which one do you choose? Why?

Butter vs extra virgin olive oil - Which one is more healthy? Which one do you choose? Why?
11-22-2014, 03:27 AM   #2
SarahD

I think it depends what you're doing with it. Some oils change in structure when they're heated and are less good for you, whilst they're ok if not heated. Personally, I choose to use coconut oil. I haven't found any other oil that agrees with me as well as coconut oil does, and it's one where heating it doesn't cause a lot of damage to the oils structure.

Current meds:
Azathioprine, Allopurinol, Calcichew D3-Forte, Fortijuice, Alendronic acid, Ranitidine

Previous meds:
Augmentin, Doxycycline, Lansoprazole, Asacol, Pentasa, Prednisolone, Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl, Elemental Extra 028
11-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
hugh

My Support Groups:
Both Good!!!!!
Butter good if you are ok with dairy, (Ghee better than butter for cooking -higher cooking temperature, more stable)
Olive oil good but good olive oil better than cheap shit olive oil, not for high temp cooking though

The Definitive Guide to Oils
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healt...#axzz3Jp9Vu0Ty
The Complete Guide to Fats and Oils – What to Cook With (or not), What to Avoid and Why
http://www.realfoodkosher.com/comple...fats-and-oils/
Making Sense of Healthy Cooking Oils and Fats
http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/making-s...ing-oils-fats/
11-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
worriedboy

My Support Groups:
Neither for cooking.
Olive oil as addition to food or on a toast.
No butter, got the feeling it's not doing good for me, so I avoid it.

I like the bitterness of the olive oil. Find it somewhat refreshing
11-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
I use olive oil for salads, veggies, dressings.
I use butter for some baking or in recipes.
I use lots of coconut oil, for roasting veggies, sautéing etc.
11-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
staloffn

My Support Groups:
smart balance.
11-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
I use butter and olive oil for almost everything - not together - but depending on my supply in the house. I also use coconut oil.

It's cold here and it smells like a tropical vacation. Oh, and my Crohn's kid loved it when she could still do food, too!
11-25-2014, 04:18 AM   #8
washicd

My Support Groups:
extra virgin olive oil, it's highly anti-inflammatory i understand. i like dipping bread in olive oil with garlic. (garlic is also anti-inflammatory isn't it?)
11-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
rygon

My Support Groups:
all depends on the use.
Cold I go for extra virgin
light frying olive oil
high heat groundnut oil
butter for flavouring and baking, although I'd rather use ghee as it tastes so much better
11-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
nikimazur

My Support Groups:
Kerrygold butter. I live off of it. Coconut oil as needed.

Crohn's, Traumatic Brain Injury, Autoimmune Hepatitis (May 2014)

Current meds:Bactrim DS, Azathioprine, Entyvio, levbid
Past meds: Pentasa, Lialda, Prednisone, Entocort, Asacol HD, Prilosec, Lomotil, Lotronex, Nexium, Myfortic, Humira

http://lifeinthetimeofuncertainty.blogspot.com
11-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
David
Co-Founder

smart balance.
If you're speaking of the Smart Balance Buttery Spread, that is a combo of canola, soybean, and palm oils, none of which are healthy for a host of reasons, especially the n3-n6 fatty acid ratios.
11-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
David
Co-Founder

Kerrygold butter. I live off of it. Coconut oil as needed.
What is the difference between Kerrygold butter and normal butter?

Thanks!
11-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
hugh

My Support Groups:
What is the difference between Kerrygold butter and normal butter?

Thanks!
Grass fed (10 months of the year)
Being from NZ i didn't really get it, y'know -cows eat grass right?
Not so, you can keep them in a shed and feed them grain and make butter but it's not as good.
05-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
WingedVictory
Banned

I think Grass-fed butter trumps coconut oil in nutrition since it has more monounsaturated fat and omega 3 fatty acids.

Extra virgin olive oil is an even better source of monounsaturated fat, but the high omega 6 content makes me want to use it sparingly. If not for being low salicylate for treating my fistula I would pour it on dark leafy greens only.

For sautéing I prefer grass-fed ghee and coconut oil (currently avoiding also for high salicylate content) for the high temp smoke point.

They each have their own strengths and weakness from a nutritional and functional standpoint. Macadamia nut oil is also a contender, but very expensive and hard to find in local grocers.
06-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
BlueSky

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Kerry Gold is the most widely available grass-fed butter brand in the US. In California, you can find it at Costco at a good discount. I've also seen it at Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. Check your local chains.
06-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I haven't cooked with butter at home for a few years now and I haven't missed it or even noticed really. I always use EVOO or coconut oil.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

06-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #17
David
Co-Founder

Kerry Gold is the most widely available grass-fed butter brand in the US. In California, you can find it at Costco at a good discount. I've also seen it at Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. Check your local chains.
Do you know if it's still 100% grass fed or have they had to back off that as it has become more popular?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Butter vs extra virgin olive oil - Which one is more healthy? Which one do you choose? Why?