Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » On Humira Now!! Concerns....??

12-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
Moriati

My Support Groups:
On Humira Now!! Concerns....??

So, I have been put on Humira as of today. I honestly have no idea whether it will work yet just because it's only been one day, but my main concerns are:

1. What are the chances of it actually working!?!? I've had conflicting information from different sources but I read somewhere it's a complete gamble, like it works for something like 50%....?

2. How likely is it that I will develop antibodies to it and it will stop working for me even if it does initially work...... (I'm still on azathioprine btw so I don't know if this decreases the chances of that happening?)

3. What other treatment options are there for me if (or WHEN) humira stops working!?!?!

12-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Clash
Forum Monitor

There are primary and secondary non responders to biologics. Response to treatment and testing of inflammatory markers can determine your individual response.

Some people do develop antibodies that is why some GIs use combo therapy like biologic and azathioprine or 6mp or methotrexate because they help prevent antibodies.

There are other meds- immunosuppressant like methotrexate biologics like remicade and Cimzia so if one med fails you then the GI will move you to other options.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
12-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Humira has been a good medication for me. It has knocked my crohn's into a long remission. Nothing else would touch it. I have been on Humira for 3.5 years and so far it is doing well. Good luck on the therapy. You might want to check out the Humira support group http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
12-18-2014, 02:52 AM   #4
paul11

My Support Groups:
Humira has been a good medication for me. It has knocked my crohn's into a long remission. Nothing else would touch it. I have been on Humira for 3.5 years and so far it is doing well. Good luck on the therapy. You might want to check out the Humira support group http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59
this is the same story for me. three and a half yrs and in remission. Tried everything else and nothing and I mean nothing worked. The only thing Humira that I really don't like is that I developed insomnia right after taking it and also my nervous system was really affected and that lead to some more meds. with more side effects. it hasn't been easy to stay on it but at this point it's been working and I have no choice.
12-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
theOcean

My Support Groups:
2. Humira is made from a humanized protein, as opposed to Remicade which was mouse protein so it's actually one people are less likely to build up antibodies to.

3. There's a whole slew of biologics now! Remicade, Vedolizumab, Cimzia, Simponi... I know I'm forgetting some, but just know you're definitely not out of options!

I needed combination therapy of Humira and 6mp, and now I've been in remission for over a year and I'm very happy. It's been an incredible medication for me! I got antibody testing at one point and I have absolutely none, which is great. (I was on Remicade before this and was terribly allergic, so it was really wonderful news.)
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » On Humira Now!! Concerns....??