Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?

01-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #721
apl2018

What kind of interests do you have academically? This should also factor into the equation I would think. Research positions are generally what I have stuck to and was able to work even during flares although there were some times I'd take time off :/

The experiences of a 25 year old male w/ Crohns
02-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #722
DavidXU

My Support Groups:
What kind of interests do you have academically? This should also factor into the equation I would think. Research positions are generally what I have stuck to and was able to work even during flares although there were some times I'd take time off :/
Are you a professor? I have plan to apply for PhD program this year.
The flexibility and fun of doing research really attracts me, but the stress somewhat deters me.
02-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #723
brooklyn23

I'm an administrative assistant for a real estate developer. I'm really happy with my job so far, though I've only been there 2.5 months.
02-12-2015, 01:24 AM   #724
chasedimond

I just got a job working for an accounting and financial services firm. I do accounting and finance for the company.
02-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #725
Marlena

Before I retired, I was a psychiatric social worker, librarian, caterer. Now I do them all for free and am a lay preacher and volunteer. Mostly cat caterer, I guess and Alzheimer's caregiver.
03-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #726
ducky

I work in administration. I have a lot of responsibility, work long hours and have to meet multiple deadlines. When I'm feeling well, I enjoy the challenge and do a great job. When I'm having a flare up, the fatigue makes it much harder the keep all the balls in the air. I make errors I normally wouldn't and then I feel depressed about it. like I've lost my skill level.
I've been wondering about changing careers to something simpler. It's hard to let go but it might be better for me in the long run.

Can anyone else identify with the loss of ability, skills etc ?
03-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #727
Elektrikhd

My Support Groups:
Very much. I'm an elementary music teacher and currently looking for a job in something else because I just can't keep up anymore. Even when I'm not in a flare, I have yet to go into remission and symptoms still interfere, and I have the worries over what I'll do if a flare strikes.

It's very frustrating to go into work and be looking at a task or situation and know it's something that I've handled before, but that I just am not up to it now, because I don't physically or mentally have the energy for it, can't focus, whatever it may be. (Sometimes I have tried to play things on the piano and found that I just can't pull off the stuff I could before.)

depression 2000, migraines 2012, glaucoma 2014

Humira (40mg/week)
Asacol (800mg 3x/day)
Prednisone when flaring
assorted supplements

Topamax (migraine)
Sumatriptan/Sumaval (as needed, migraine)
Latanaprost (glaucoma)
Viibryd (depression)
03-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #728
adr810

My Support Groups:
Love this thread! I grew up wanting to teach but changed my mind after working at a preschool for 3 years. My boss threatened to fire me daily and I felt completing my teaching license was not possible. This was before my diagnosis of crohn's.

Now- I have a desk job for the IT department at a nearby University. I take care of all if their purchasing and I love it! It helps that my boss is so supportive.
03-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #729
cantthinkstr8t

My Support Groups:
I stumbled into embroidery. I walked into a store one day and the lady there and I started talking. With in an hour, I was in the back starting a new job.

I have been fortunate enough to have bosses that care. They have cut my hours drastically recently, BUT, I still have a job. The only rule they really enforce is someone else has to be there with me. I can completely understand that since I work with heavy machinery.
03-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #730
Kit

I work in administration. I have a lot of responsibility, work long hours and have to meet multiple deadlines. When I'm feeling well, I enjoy the challenge and do a great job. When I'm having a flare up, the fatigue makes it much harder the keep all the balls in the air. I make errors I normally wouldn't and then I feel depressed about it. like I've lost my skill level.
I've been wondering about changing careers to something simpler. It's hard to let go but it might be better for me in the long run.

I can relate very much with loss of skills and abilities. I was a Physical Therapist Assistant. I would sometimes treat a patient with a diagnosis I have treated hundreds of times and be totally lost on what to do next. I was only working 4 hours a day with a break and I still couldn't keep up with treatments and paperwork. My fatigue is what limits me overall and I would say I am in remission from other Crohn's symptoms except for fatigue. I finally had to retire and have thought about pursuing another career, but I have a good attention span for about 1-2 hours. I hope you can find a good solution for yourself! It is nice to know others feel the same way!
Fatigue is hard to manage with a job.

Last edited by Kit; 03-09-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: forgot some words
03-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #731
Mandalee

My Support Groups:
This post is very helpful to read at this point in my life.

I have had Crohn's since middle school and I turn 38 next month. I've had restaurant jobs (waiting tables is hard physical and stressful work and the employers are not forgiving about missing shifts and there is not paid leave). I worked at an amusement park - long hours outside - no excuses for missing shifts. GI wrote me a medical release from my contract and I had surgery 2 months later. I've worked as a pharmacy technician but being around contagious customers while on immunosuppressants feels like a ticking time-bomb.
Graduated college: extended 7 year plan choosing a major was difficult - Art history... didn't lead to a related job; I started working in government offices - union, paid leave, fmla, disability - great benefits. I have advanced in my current office and was promoted to HR. Though no longer union I still have paid leave and disability (which was much needed during two resections). I'm currently back in a flare, have exhausted my leave and am struggling with thought of temp disability (afraid to use it as it is limited and want to save it for possible future surgeries). I struggle to work full-time, I have fibromyalgia and migraines that I deal with in addition to Crohns, plus recurrent C. diff bacteria and strongyloid parasite infections that wont go away.
I do payroll and benefits - taking time off really hurts the agency and puts a burden on my overworked boss (she's wonderful and understanding- but the anxiety from feeling guilty about sticking her so often weighs on me).
I no longer qualify for SSDI as I'm government paid so I haven't paid into Soc Sec in over 10 years and the full-time disability program is not the same - I think I have to exhaust my temp. disability before I'm eligible then afraid I'd be denied anyway.

at my whits-end right now
03-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #732
Mandalee

My Support Groups:

Yes! I am so afraid of making mistakes anymore. Its like I don't have quite the same mental capacity. I joke with my co-workers and laugh it off with "I have a case of the dumb today" but really you can only say that so many times if you ever want people to take you seriously. The responsibilities I have feel so overwhelming at times that I feel like my job has outgrown me. I hate to admit that it's me just not being up to it most of the time anymore. I'm 2 years in, and feel like I'm losing it.
I can no longer think logically when I'm in a flare or overwhelmed with fatigue.
03-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #733
woops!

I'm an ER nurse. I love nursing, but to be honest the ER is not really the best place for Crohns. It's kinda hard to look at the other nurses who are doing CPR and tell them I have to go to the bathroom! I plan to change to a different department eventually, way to high stress area, but I love it
03-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #734
RNGirl

My Support Groups:
I'm an RN Clinical Case Manager in a children's hospital. Extremely stressful job, doing the job of 2 people and also an exempt employee so work lots of extra hours to keep up. Some days are really difficult to handle, especially when you feel like crud.
03-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #735
grahamburgers

My Support Groups:
I'm an actor and the buffet manager at a dinner theater. The theater is a family business which is great because, even though I'm not part of the family, they sort of "adopt" all of their employees. They know I have Crohn's and any time there's a problem of any kind, they understand I have to handle my health first and foremost. I've worked a lot of other jobs where that wasn't true and it's such a blessing.
04-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #736
twois

I'm a critical care nurse, although right now I'm not working since I'm in grad school studying anesthesia. I love nursing, and I'm lucky that I get constipated with flares and not the other way around, so my issues are primarily pain/bloating/joint pain/fatigue - none of which are fun to work with, especially on your feet 12 hours at a time, but it's do-able. Honestly, the fast pace kept my mind off my aches and pains much more than a desk job would! And it's nice working around medical folks - as long as you're able to show up and work and keep the bottom line happy, they're generally pretty understanding of health issues.
04-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #737
theysayitscrohns

I am a self employed . I conduct advertisement campaign across Canada, do all the graphic design and ad creation for businesses, and on the side a singer/songwriter/performer/author
04-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #738
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Surgical Technologist (scrub tech)

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
05-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #739
GlasgowGirl86

I'm a critical care nurse. As someone who has only recently began suffering IBD like symptoms and worrying about how I'm going to manage at work, it gives me so much hope and reassurance to see so many nurses here who are still able to work
05-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #740
ssddks10

My Support Groups:
Current student! Doing well though
05-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #741
ColorsofHeaven

My Support Groups:
Currently I do Accounting Logistics and Website Media for EDCO Food Products, Inc., but I will be leaving them to go back to school. I an finishing my BS/BA in Science-Biology and then on to Medical School.
05-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #742
ColorsofHeaven

My Support Groups:
Are you a professor? I have plan to apply for PhD program this year.
The flexibility and fun of doing research really attracts me, but the stress somewhat deters me.
Did you end up deciding to do the PhD Program?
05-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #743
DavidXU

My Support Groups:
Did you end up deciding to do the PhD Program?
Yes, I will apply this fall and hopefully enter the program next year.
05-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #744
droopymonthly

I am a software developer. It is the best career I can think of if you are in Crohn's Disease. My working environment is quite flexible. No strict working time(when to go to office and when to leave the office are all up to me), no strict time schedule how long to finish a job, and I can ask for working from home whenever I want. This is not a special case just for me. It is our general working environment in our office. I love my job.
05-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #745
2010mustang

My Support Groups:
feed mill operator. currently looking for a new job due to not being able to keep up with the physical aspect of my job. Thinking about going to school again for something like pharmacy tech.
06-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #746
edentenley

My Support Groups:
I'm a small animal veterinarian at a very high paced, extremely over-busy practice. I feel like I am drowning all day every day, just trying to keep up. I go home and literally crash from fatigue and exhaustion, which makes me feel bad for my young children...they deserve better. Not sure what to do about it though...my job pays well and pays for my medical insurance.

Anyone else experience symptoms from a stressful work environment? My husband is super concerned that this stress will send me back into the hospital. I just recently achieved 'remission' status, but I have small bowel Crohn's, which can be silently wreaking havoc. When I'm super extra stressed at work, I get extra fatigued, intense headaches/migraines, and nausea, and then diarrhea. Anyone else notice an increase in symptoms with stress?
06-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #747
TravelingTrees 73

My Support Groups:
feed mill operator. currently looking for a new job due to not being able to keep up with the physical aspect of my job. Thinking about going to school again for something like pharmacy tech.

There's is high stress and low money in the pharmacy. Stay away. I quit after two years when I had a mental break from the stress

06-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #748
Elektrikhd

My Support Groups:
I'm a small animal veterinarian at a very high paced, extremely over-busy practice. I feel like I am drowning all day every day, just trying to keep up. I go home and literally crash from fatigue and exhaustion, which makes me feel bad for my young children...they deserve better. Not sure what to do about it though...my job pays well and pays for my medical insurance.

Anyone else experience symptoms from a stressful work environment? My husband is super concerned that this stress will send me back into the hospital. I just recently achieved 'remission' status, but I have small bowel Crohn's, which can be silently wreaking havoc. When I'm super extra stressed at work, I get extra fatigued, intense headaches/migraines, and nausea, and then diarrhea. Anyone else notice an increase in symptoms with stress?
In short, yes.

I'm an elementary music teacher, and when the school year ends in 2 weeks, I won't be going back, even though I've been at it for 9 years. The job has gotten more stressful over the past couple of years and I've gotten worse physically to the point that I can't keep up with it anymore. I was ready to leave a year ago, but I couldn't find other work. At this point, though...I just can't do this anymore.

When I have to put on concerts, I get more abdominal pain because of the extra stress, and I think the overall stress of the job, especially as it has gotten worse in the past couple of years, has aggravated my symptoms. Positive things in life can give me trouble, too--I've gone to conventions for fun and had mini-flares as a result of that, too. Still a form of stress.
06-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #749
watertiger21

I work as an animal husbandry biology science tech. I care for a captive breeding population of an endangered species and I also assist in releasing them into the wild! I totally love my job and the people I work with are very understanding.

However, during breeding season the days are hectic and stressful and I'm on my feet for 90% of the day if it's really crazy. Staffing levels are usually pretty tight and I don't feel like I can call in on most days (animals still need to be fed and cleaned even if I'm sick, ya know?). There have definitely been days when I shouldn't have gone in to work, that's for sure. And here lately I feel like my fatigue and brain fog has started affecting me too... I've been making little mistakes and slip ups here and there that I've never made before (nothing major but it's still stressful to be doing so in front of your boss!) and I tend to jumble and mix up words a little more often than what would be considered "normal" for a person, which is embarassing and starting to affect my self esteem a bit when I'm around coworkers.

I really do LOVE my job though and I'm going to continue to work hard at it! I obviously need to take care of myself and keep my health a priority, but I refuse to let CD control me and call all my shots for me! Hopefully my stubbornness will work
Crohn's diagnosis in 2005 at age 15. Hospitalized a few months later because of massive bleeding in intestines that caused me to pass out in the bathroom and required blood infusion of two pints! Small bowel perforated in 2006 and had two feet of bad area removed in emergency surgery. My Crohn's has been mild ever since! Currently on Humira.
06-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #750
Hayz

I'm a registered midwife, I generally work casual night shift but am finding the hangover sooo much harder to deal with. I've had awful pain and fatigue over the last six months so have barely worked... Hopefully onto a good plan this week and get my head bak in the game.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?