Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Weight gain Support Group

03-28-2015, 05:15 AM   #31
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Instant Coffee,

I've seen you post on bodybuilding.com

You should give sushi a shot and see how you feel. And STOP DRINKING THOSE WEIGHT GAIN SHAKES!!!! They are going to hurt you.

Cut out all the dairy (this includes protein shakes, you may be allergic to whey or casein), chocolate, and gluten.

My CRP has gone from chronically mid 4's to .10 (completely normal) in a matter of months (might've been only weeks but I don't get bloodwork done every week). All I eat right now sushi (salmon rolls and california rolls with salmon) and taco's. (with corn tortillas). I am working on adding things to this regimen. But these two foods have turned my BM's into the best they've ever been, and my blood work has shown that my inflammation has been curtailed, not to mentioned I just feel a lot better overall.

You have to fix your intestines before you can worry about putting on weight. You have to figure out the right foods to eat that don't give you problems. I'm not saying what I do will work for you, but give it a shot and see what happens.
I have no problems with dairy.

As far as I know most sushi contains thing (like rice) I can't have. I also can't have any kind of tortilla.

Oat has been the only grain lately that I've tried that I can safely digest.
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
03-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #32
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
. I struggle to gain weight fast no matter how much I eat, but when I cut to a super low calorie diet I lose slowly so it's not metabolism, that's for sure.
Why do you have to eat a low calorie diet sometimes? I lose easily however much I'm eating. I've had periods where I'm eating very little, e.g. after surgery, and I still lose quickly.

Last edited by UnXmas; 03-28-2015 at 09:18 AM.
03-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #33
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
I have no problems with dairy.

As far as I know most sushi contains thing (like rice) I can't have. I also can't have any kind of tortilla.

Oat has been the only grain lately that I've tried that I can safely digest.
I wouldn't knock it until you try it. The rice and seeweed in sushi is very sticky so it helps bind things together. Literally immediately after I started eating my BMs were the best they'd looked since having this disease.
03-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #34
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Why do you have to eat a low calorie diet sometimes? I lose easily however much I'm eating. I've had periods where I'm eating very little, e.g. after surgery, and I still lose quickly.
When I have to do an elimination diet after something I've been eating becomes a trigger, I cut to just meat and it's hard to eat more than about 1200 calories a day.

I wouldn't knock it until you try it. The rice and seeweed in sushi is very sticky so it helps bind things together. Literally immediately after I started eating my BMs were the best they'd looked since having this disease.
Idk I've tried a lot of rice grains in the past year and they've all made me sick. I'm hesitant to think one will be different.
03-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #35
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
When I have to do an elimination diet after something I've been eating becomes a trigger, I cut to just meat and it's hard to eat more than about 1200 calories a day.
Literally just meat? Why?? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.)
03-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #36
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Rice (white rice at least) is a very easy-to-digest food for many people with digestive issues (I've found it is for me, and I've seen quite a few posts here saying the same, and I assume it is for many others since it's part of the BRAT diet). Maybe it's that, rather than sushi in general that's helping you? Are you gaining weight on what you're eating now?

And I have the same questions that I had about InstantCoffee's diet:

All I eat right now sushi (salmon rolls and california rolls with salmon) and taco's. (with corn tortillas). I am working on adding things to this regimen.
Literally just sushi and tacos? And again, why?

I know the theories behind exclusion diets and elimination diets, though personally I've found them to be decidedly unhelpful, but meat and sushi based diets are not ones I've come across anyone else mentioning before. I've also found limited diets are not conducive to weight gain. If you're struggling to eat enough, don't you want to be able to have whatever most appeals that you can tolerate?
03-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #37
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
Rice (white rice at least) is a very easy-to-digest food for many people with digestive issues (I've found it is for me, and I've seen quite a few posts here saying the same, and I assume it is for many others since it's part of the BRAT diet). Maybe it's that, rather than sushi in general that's helping you? Are you gaining weight on what you're eating now?

And I have the same questions that I had about InstantCoffee's diet:

Literally just sushi and tacos? And again, why?

I know the theories behind exclusion diets and elimination diets, though personally I've found them to be decidedly unhelpful, but meat and sushi based diets are not ones I've come across anyone else mentioning before. I've also found limited diets are not conducive to weight gain. If you're struggling to eat enough, don't you want to be able to have whatever most appeals that you can tolerate?
I'm working on adding other things to my diet. Maybe some gluten free dairy free wraps. But These two things have fixed my crp and my bowel movements, and it's slowly bringing my fecal cal to normal levels. I was introduced to sushi a month or so ago by a co worker who had celiac and it completely fixed my bowel movements very quickly. I have only just recently started focusing on trying to put on weight. If I stick to my regimen and don't skip meals I should be able to get back to 150 lbs very quickly. At about 140 ish right now
03-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #38
buttER
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I eat 5 eggs for breakfast and a 60 cal. snack about an hour after.
That might not be many calories but it does sound like alot of food to me!
03-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #39
buttER
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't count calories either, but I did a rough estimate and I reckon I'm eating around 2500 at the moment. In hospital last year I was having over 3000. Have your doctors ever talked with you about malabsorption, or done any tests that suggested it?
I havent really thought about it. I assumed my body still needs to repair from the long period of being seriously underweight, I can imagine alot of the organ systems were running on nearly empty. Being out and about on the bike every day means that I unfortunately lose a few calories through physical activity.

That plus needing to put on weight means I need a decent number of calories, I don't think 2500 is too many in this situation. Also I have never had any malnutrition apart from a horribly low vitamin D at some point.
03-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #40
buttER
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have not had a stomach test, but I think my stomach has shrunk because I have so often been in pain and hardly eaten. 5 eggs is only 350 calories; an egg is 70 calories, so it really isn't that much. Plus, it is is the only protein I get daily except for my protein rice shakes. In a couple weeks I will add other protein such as fish and see how my system responds. Meanwhile, I am out of pain!
No one has ever mentioned this, but I wonder if having an IBD decreases proper digestion of nutrients in our what we eat......

Well done, if it helps keep up the good work with the diet. Good luck with the reintroduction of more food. I love fish, but mind the fatty ones (salmon completely messes me up, shame because it is delicious).

I am pretty sure IBD leads to malnutrition, especially if the small intestine is involved. But there are people better qualified to answer your question.
03-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #41
buttER
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Watch out for the soya sauce! It usually contains wheat! A coeliac friend of mine didn't realise and got very sick.
03-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #42
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
Watch out for the soya sauce! It usually contains wheat! A coeliac friend of mine didn't realise and got very sick.
Yes it does. But the very minimum amount that I use doesn't seem to effect me.
03-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #43
buttER
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes it does. But the very minimum amount that I use doesn't seem to effect me.
I meant it more as a warning to anyone that tries sushi and it makes them feel worse: it might not be because of the rice/seaweed/fish!
I can eat sushi, but not with the soya sauce (soya and wheat are no-nos).
03-29-2015, 03:54 AM   #44
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
That might not be many calories but it does sound like alot of food to me!
I was thinking the same thing - a lot of calories doesn't mean a low volume of food. And vice versa - a few teaspoons of peanut butter is something I often eat to get a boost in calories without having to eat all that much food.
03-29-2015, 04:02 AM   #45
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I'm working on adding other things to my diet. Maybe some gluten free dairy free wraps. But These two things have fixed my crp and my bowel movements, and it's slowly bringing my fecal cal to normal levels. I was introduced to sushi a month or so ago by a co worker who had celiac and it completely fixed my bowel movements very quickly. I have only just recently started focusing on trying to put on weight. If I stick to my regimen and don't skip meals I should be able to get back to 150 lbs very quickly. At about 140 ish right now
So it's just coincidence that you found sushi? You didn't choose to start eating it because you thought it would help?
03-29-2015, 04:05 AM   #46
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Ive discovered to joy of gaining weight by eating almond butter in rather large quantities since a few weeks. I have been in between 100 and 105 pounds for more than 10 years, and am currently at 110!
Congratulations on your weight gain, Lady Organic ! I've found peanut butter very helpful. I keep meaning to be more adventurous with nut butters. I know I've seen cashew nut butter in the supermarket.
03-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #47
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
So it's just coincidence that you found sushi? You didn't choose to start eating it because you thought it would help?
I was introduced to it by a co worker who has celiac and follows a gluten free, dairy free diet. I was already dairy free. She was the one who I started eating sushi with, and she also suggested I switch out my wheat tortillas with corn tortillas. So I wasn't really sure what it would do, but I've been tinkering with my diet for the past 2 years and I was willing to give hers a shot for a little while to see if it helped.

I started eating it and immediately I noticed how much better it looked when I went to the bathroom. There were a few tweeks I've made a long the way. I can't eat all sushi, only certain kinds, preferably with salmon.
03-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #48
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Literally just meat? Why?? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.)
Because it's my only 100% guaranteed safe food.
I have a LOT of triggers and some of them come and go.

Serious / dangerous triggers:
-wheat
-canola / corn oil
-potatoes
-nuts
-high fructose corn syrup
-apples, pears, certain fruits
-black pepper
-non-perishable / refrigerate only meats due to preservatives / processing

Mixed results/uncertain:
-high fiber
-high sugar intake
-onions
-peppers
-teas (chamomile is safe. Green/black teas is not. Haven't played around too much with others because I don't like tea enough to be worth the gastric suffering.)
-yogurt. All the ones I've tried have triggered me.
-0 calorie sweeteners. Sucralose = very bad. Others are mixed results / uncertain. I chew sugar free gum regularly, as long as there's no sucralose.

On again / off again:
- olive & coconut oil
-chocolate
-milk (can usually fix this one with lactase pills and Kefir supplementation, eventually I don't need them, can drink up to a quart without problem, sometimes a half gallon in one day.)
-assorted vegetables (carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, on again/off again)
-various seasonings (cayenne, paprika, chipotle seem to come and go)
-various fruits and melons, probably dependent on fiber but maybe other factors. Strawberries, oranges, cantaloupe, tomatoes, usually safe.
-alcohol. Was safe until the end of last year. Now gives me loose bowel movements with bile in them.

100% Safe:
-meat
-eggs
-low-lactose cheeses
-honey
-certified gluten free oats
-coffee, depending on brand/source
03-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #49
Basmah

My Support Groups:
I find my exclusion diet extremely helpful right now. Nothing else has really worked for me up until this point, and they don't last forever. Right now my focus is on feeling better, and the weight gain will come eventually. Plus, I actually eat more than I have in the past, so I know I am not malnourished. I used to think elimination challenges were extreme, but I am glad I just gave it a shot. It works for some people, and doesn't work for others. To each their own. I can't wait until I can eat sushi and peanut butter again though (not together, haha)
03-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #50
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Because it's my only 100% guaranteed safe food.
So what would you do if meat becomes one of your triggers? And how would you know?
03-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #51
Basmah

My Support Groups:
So what would you do if meat becomes one of your triggers? And how would you know?
Hey UnXmas, I appreciate that you are trying to help out by challenging others to think, but asking questions to things that haven't happened yet could be counterintuitive. It may add stress, which is definitely not good for people with GI issues. Let folks be comfortable with what they are doing, especially if it's working out for them right now.
03-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #52
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I don't believe it ever will because of how digestion and crohn's works. I would know the same way I do for any other food though. Cut back to a bare minimum until I'm eating just the meat with no added ingredients. If I still get sick that would be the trigger.

No trigger foods = no symptoms. I've never gone more than a few months without but I know it can be achieved.

Hey UnXmas, I appreciate that you are trying to help out by challenging others to think, but asking questions to things that haven't happened yet could be counterintuitive. It may add stress, which is definitely not good for people with GI issues. Let folks be comfortable with what they are doing, especially if it's working out for them right now.

I'm not worried about it. Most likely my rise and fall of triggers is linked to SIBO which as far as I know is only stimulated by carb intake, which is why it's likely to be set off by grains, sugars, and lactose. I believe things like fiber sensitivity are a bi-product of the SIBO and can be reversed by taming it with proper diet.

Every time I've gotten worse it has followed a period of excessive, unhealthy sugar intake.

There's simply no reason for me to believe that meat would ever become a trigger. If I went on a pure meat diet, I could probably starve the SIBO to some extent but it would be really hard on my body and my mind. I've actually done it before. The biggest problem is your brain uses glucose as its primary energy source, so your body has to, over time, convert to ketogenic metabolism and you have to replace the carbs you're not getting with high amounts of fat to compensate. Very unfun diet to try to maintain. Your cravings for sweet things initially hit absurd levels.
03-30-2015, 04:01 AM   #53
Basmah

My Support Groups:
I have to compensate my low carb intake with high fat meats as well. I try to buy whole chickens and turkey breasts for soup, and buy separate thighs (since those areas of the body tend to have the most fat) if they're less than 4 lbs. I always mix them with 85% lean ground beef. I don't have SIBO, but I never realized how much sugar had an impact. I even gave up fruit for a month because my cravings would make me so miserable the next day. I now can have steamed apples and pears without any issues. It is an incredibly boring diet, but I am enjoying life more now then when I ate more of a variety and still felt crummy.
03-30-2015, 04:10 AM   #54
Basmah

My Support Groups:
It's sometimes hard to tell what people's intentions are in the internet, but I don't think UnXmas' is trying to worry you. She's expressing her opinion, which is great and welcomed here, but it's unnecessary to question what someone else is doing if it works for them. That's why I tell people that what I may be doing is extreme to some, but I have tried so many other things before - doesn't mean I think anyone else should do it. They just need to find their own way. Plus, I feel like we're questioned enough by our families, friends, coworkers, etc. I had to tell my dad the other day to please stop talking about how much time I spend in the kitchen simply because people outside of home are constantly commenting on how my diet is making me too skinny. 2 different things, but it gets irritating after a while lol.
03-30-2015, 05:41 AM   #55
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Someone eating nothing but meat is not something I've heard of before, so I have a lot if questions about it. I also wasn't sure (and I'm still not sure) how it helps with weight gain. I haven't expressed an opinion, I've just asked questions.
03-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #56
Basmah

My Support Groups:
Oh okay, I got you. As I said before, it's sometimes hard to read people through the internet.
03-30-2015, 06:04 AM   #57
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Someone eating nothing but meat is not something I've heard of before, so I have a lot if questions about it. I also wasn't sure (and I'm still not sure) how it helps with weight gain. I haven't expressed an opinion, I've just asked questions.
Eating a food you can fully and safely digest will always trump any quantity of trigger food. This is why I highly recommend anyone with any extreme symptoms try elimination diets. Many are scared of 'giving up' their already limited diet, but if what you're eating is making you sick, it's not really helping you much at all is the problem.

Like Basmah said, eating a limited diet and feeling good is much more satisfying than eating things that make you sick and have variety.

If you're experiencing diarrhea then your bowels are moving faster than your body's ability to break down and absorb the food. I don't think I need to explain how bad vomiting is lol.

If I've been eating trigger foods for 1-2 weeks things get really bad.

For example garlic just started for me about 3 weeks ago, I didn't figure this out until last night. Frequent diarrhea, sleep loss, gas, etc. It took me a long time to figure out because I've been eating garlic safely for 3 years and I use it as my primary seasoning on all meats. I was blaming cooking oils, dairy, all sorts of other things but cutting them never helped.

When I eat a trigger food it often starts with diarrhea, if I keep eating it eventually it reaches a point where my digestion slows down and the food won't leave my stomach, I don't fully understand it but it seems that my intestines fill up with bile as an attempt to digest the food and blocks it from emptying into the intestines. I've thrown up food I've eaten as late as 12 or so hours after consuming it. Healthy digestion should complete in about 7.

Meanwhile I'm rapidly expelling liquid waste, constantly running to the bathroom, and end up dehydrated, and feeling extremely cold. If I throw up the food still in my stomach the problem shuts down much faster. It's like the food triggers symptoms almost immediately upon entering the small intestines, I sometimes know in the middle of eating the food.

Hoping now I can get back on track with my weight gain, going to have to find some new spices to use.
03-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #58
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Thank you for explaining, InstantCoffee, and I'm sorry if my questions were annoying, but as you said, a "pure meat diet" would be veryunhealthy, and I think it's appropriate to question something potentially dangerous.

I've had very different experiences with elimination diets: the more I cut out, the sicker I got and the more weight I lost. I used to benefit from eating a low fibre diet up until my last surgery, though I had no specific trigger foods, which was one reason elimination diets weren't good for me - I could improve my symptoms by changing my diet as a whole, but not by eliminating and eating specific foods. I know a lot of people do benefit from eliminating foods, but I think you would be an exception if you are symptom-free when you avoid all your trigger foods. A lot of people will have symptoms no matter what they do and don't eat, which must make it much harder to identify trigger foods.

Last edited by UnXmas; 03-30-2015 at 07:59 AM.
03-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #59
Basmah

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I agree that people should question all diets, even the "healthy, whole foods" lifestyles. I only get irritated when people are like, "that person is eating so and so; he doesn't know how much he is damaging himself". (I am right now thinking about a blogger who is primal, and ridiculing a man with CD who brought awareness to the disease by eating free unlimited food at the Olive Garden...nevermind that he said he was in remission, and altered every meal to cater to his needs). It took a whole bunch of research for me before I decided that the elimination diet was the way to go - before, I was very resistant to the idea. I am glad I am doing it now, though.

It is so hard and frustrating to identify trigger foods, and this disease is already difficult enough without the extra effort you have to put into it to at least minimize the symptoms. I really hope you find something that benefits you, UnXmas. I might have missed this before, but what are some things you are able to at least tolerate at the moment?
03-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #60
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I can tolerate pretty much anything at the moment. My stoma used to block on even small amounts of fibre, but since my last surgery about six months ago, which involved creating a new stoma, I haven't had that problem and have been cautiously testing foods I haven't been able to eat for years, though since most of them are fruits, vegetables and whole grains, it doesn't really help with weight gain. I just can't seem to get enough calories in no matter what I eat.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Weight gain Support Group