• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help with biopsy results :)

Hi, haven't posted here for a while but today received my biopsy results.

Was told in December by Gastroenterologist that I have Proctitis. He said it may spread further up or could quite easily stay exactly where it is.

Anyway had biopsy results back and ileum came back normal as did small bowel i think. However, the biopsy from the inflammation (proctitis) came back normal too. The only information I could find regarding why it would come back normal is that the biopsy taken from the inflammation area would have been to check for bacteria, or perhaps environmental factors which could have caused the proctitis and by the results being normal, it doesnt change the diagnosis
Is this correct? Thanks

I will add that when i went back to my consultant to discuss biopsy results, he gave me Asacol oral medication

Last edited:
Biopsies can be for many reasons. One of which is to clarify disease. Eg do you have crohns or UC. Or it can be to check for a bacteria or viral infection. So yes it could be he tested yor biopsy for an infection and it was negative but you still have UC. If he gave you Asacol I would assume this was the case because if it was not UC then Asacol wouldn't help you.

Biopsies can be for many reasons. One of which is to clarify disease. Eg do you have crohns or UC. Or it can be to check for a bacteria or viral infection. So yes it could be he tested yor biopsy for an infection and it was negative but you still have UC. If he gave you Asacol I would assume this was the case because if it was not UC then Asacol wouldn't help you.
Yeh thats what i thought re.Asacol. His wording on the colonoscopy report was "mild non-specific proctitis" and then when i asked what proctitis was he said it's a form of UC limited to the rectum, but its a milder form. But at that exact point i wasnt given any meds, i received those when i went back in the February (3months after scope) for a follow up to discuss everything

Yeah that is a good explanation of proctisis. It can spread up but at the moment yours is fairly mild and confined which is good. Hopefully with the Asacol it will stay that way.