Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Mongersen, an Oral SMAD7 Antisense Oligonucleotide, and Crohn’s Disease

05-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
JMC

Mongersen, an Oral SMAD7 Antisense Oligonucleotide, and Crohn’s Disease

I had my regular quarterly hospital check up today and the gastroenterologist I saw mentioned this paper as an exciting development:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1407250

CONCLUSIONS
We found that study participants with Crohn’s disease who received mongersen had significantly higher rates of remission and clinical response than those who received placebo.
05-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
shepz

Great to see! I know it's hard to predict things like this but does anyone know when this might hit the market? Are we talking 5 years? 10 years?
05-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Great to see! I know it's hard to predict things like this but does anyone know when this might hit the market? Are we talking 5 years? 10 years?
Your 5 year guess is probably in the right ballpark. They're currently recruiting for the next phase trial in US with results publishing in 2017 at earliest. Then there might be additional trials and regulatory approvals.

We had a little more in-depth discussion on this drug here if you're interested.
05-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
greypup

My Support Groups:
I don't understand what class of drug this is, compared to immune suppressants?

Thanks for any info to clarify.
Imuran
supplements=Vit D, L-Glutamine, Omega D, Probiotic, Curcumin
05-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
JMC

I don't understand what class of drug this is, compared to immune suppressants?

Thanks for any info to clarify.
It is a pill based biologic treatment, more details here
05-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Here is some trial updates.

Celgene is currently doing a more rigorous trial they term CD-001 that uses a more rigorous endoscopic assessment as opposed to CDAI scores to gauge efficacy. Divided into five phases, (screening, induction, observation, extension and follow-up), 48 patients will participate in this study that is designed to last 97 weeks. Endoscopic response and durability of response will be measured during the first three phases, and that can last up to 69 weeks. These are blinded phases so no data will be released until the last patient completes that 3rd phase, so 2017 we'll see these preliminary results.

On other fronts, a larger phase III trial of 2,000 patients will start enrollment soon.
10-17-2016, 05:21 AM   #7
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
Update: http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Show-Clinical

2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

DX with perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum) and coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
75mg azathioprine
Gluten-free diet
10-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Julia S

My Support Groups:
I read a market forecast report by Credit Suisse that said it would hit market in 2018.
10-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
Julia S

My Support Groups:
JMC, I know this isn´t the right thread, but do you have any news on the Map Vaccine?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Mongersen, an Oral SMAD7 Antisense Oligonucleotide, and Crohn’s Disease