Share Facebook

03-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #31
mikeymac

I've had similar things happen to me. They found a lesion on my liver but the next time they did a scan it was gone. I guess you can think of that as a good thing yes? Hopefully your on the mend.
03-23-2015, 08:29 PM   #32
lookame

My Support Groups:
That is strange but it's also good. I think that is the tricky part of the disease...it causes these infections and things when it's active but when it's not in an active state you are fine. The antibiotics have probably helped a lot as well. I hope you are on the mend and the disease isn't playing tricks on you take care hun

Bloodwork is indeterminate IBD, biopsies are crohns positive, symptoms and visually it's UC

Current meds-
Prednisone, humira, 6mp, and lialda
awaiting surgical consult

Mom of Little Z
eosinophilic esophagitis 5/2015
03-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #33
xmdmom

My Support Groups:
I am really sorry you have been dealing with this. It IS extremely strange that they didn't find the abscess. From what I know, these abscesses absolutely require drainage. IV treatment is not enough according to the medical literature. This would make me wonder: did they read the CT scan incorrectly? Did they miss the abscess in surgery? Both are possible but rare. If you feel any indication that the symptoms are coming back, I'd go back to your doctor asap. I hope you represent an unusual time when antibiotics were enough.

HUGS to you.
03-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #34
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
Thanks xmdmom

Theses are my exact thoughts, had the ct been misinterpreted or did they somehow miss it. I don't have much faith in these DR's at this hospital.

These are the ct results...CT findings are suggestive of a 53 x 36mm phlegmonous collection along the left lateral aspect of the rectum pushing the rectum to the right. It is seen posterior to the uterus and appears to be separate from the ovary. An immediate surgical review is suggested.

Currently on:
Remicade
125mg Imuran
3000mg Pentasa
600mg Calcium

Dx Premature Ovarian Failure 2014
On Estrogen and Provera

03-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #35
xmdmom

My Support Groups:
I am interested in the language "phlegmonous collection"- I don't know if this is common language in Australia. I never heard of it until now but I'm not a surgeon.
I found this which says a phlegmon is a walled off mass.

" Because the inflammation can go through the whole thickness of the wall of the intestine, deep ulcers can form and can turn into tracts (fistulas) connecting different parts of the intestine together or connecting the intestine to the skin, vagina or bladder. Tracts do not always create fistulas connecting areas; they can also lead to a phlegmon or abscess. A phlegmon is a walled off mass of inflammation without a bacterial infection. An abscess is similar, but with the infection and pus. With inflammation, the wall of the intestine can swell leading to obstruction or blockage. This area can then scar. The blockage can lead to abdominal pain, vomiting and bloating of the abdomen."

http://www.giassoc.org/crohns-disease.html

and this on medscape:

Abscess definition
One definition of an abscess is a drainable, infected fluid collection. One dictum is "If it will not go through a catheter, it cannot be drained. If it is not infected it is not an abscess." Differentiating a phlegmon from an abscess can be difficult. A phlegmon may be defined as a vascularized infection that still has perfusion. Some nonsuppurate lymphadenitis may not demonstrate enhancement on imaging studies (eg, CT scanning, MRI, amplitude Doppler ultrasonography [US]), but other collections that do not show central enhancement suggest the presence of an abscess, hematoma, or necrosis.

A phlegmon is an undrainable infection
. A viscous abscess without significant debris may be difficult to aspirate through a needle but should be drainable through catheters of appropriate caliber. Irrigation with saline or fibrinolytic agents may be necessary for successful drainage of an abscess with significant debris, blood, or viscous elements.[7]

It's rather confusing.

Any chance of getting better doctors?
03-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #36
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
I don't have private health insurance so l'm stuck with the Drs the public health system has.
04-08-2015, 02:47 AM   #37
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
I have a date for the scopes...1st May.

I saw my GP today and she said there has to be a fistula somewhere as these abscesses don't just pop up out of nowhere. I have an appointment with surgeon on Monday, will ask more questions.

Since stopping the antibiotics l've started to get a slight pain when sitting...l hope it's not coming back.
04-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #38
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
im glad the scope is soon.
Do you know the prep yet?

I hope it isn't coming back but maybe them see it in the scope will help them find the fistula?

I've been mean to ask, how is child taking this news?
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
04-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #39
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
FW l don't know what the prep is yet, l was told l'd receive a script in the mail.

My daughter was happy when l first told her l might have crohn's....the first thing she said was l'll have a friend.

My last scope was about 6 years ago. At the time l was told it was normal but no biopsies were done. l'm wondering had there been microscopic inflammation back then that wasn't picked up...l'll be making sure they do biopsies this time.
05-15-2015, 03:19 AM   #40
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
The Dr was confident they were going to find crohn's today when l had my scopes but they found nothing. In a way l was hoping they found something to explain my constant pain beside my hip, bellybutton and lower back for the last 8 years. But now l'm back to square one with no answers.
05-15-2015, 03:22 AM   #41
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear of your struggle. But, want to let you know that I've been there too. Sending you lots of hugs.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
05-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #42
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I assume they took biopsies, yeah?

I having been looking through your threads upsetmom and I am sorry I am dredging up and commenting on old news but when you had the rectal abscess was in the bowel or outside the bowel?

Matt had a phlegmon and it is as xmdmom described.

As far as imaging is concerned, well we have had just as many negative experiences as we have positive…

-Sarah’s CT returned a grossly normal result one week prior to emergency surgery for a ruptured bowel.
-Matt’s very first diagnostic imaging test, an ultrasound, found no abnormalities. It was repeated a couple of days later and lo and behold they found thickening of the TI.
-In between Matt’s diagnosis and surgery more than one CT scan identified extensive bowel inflammation. They found what it actually was when they operated on him, it was a phlegmon that was adhered to his abdominal wall.

I personally look at imaging the same way I do ever other test and observation with this disease. If all the tests and what you see in front of you marries up then all well and good, if they don’t then it warrants further investigation and monitoring.

Are you keeping a diary?

Dusty. xxx
05-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #43
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
They said they were going to take biopsies. I didn't think to ask if they did. On my report it says specimens taken but nothing written underneath it so l really don't know.

My abscess was deep inside, somewhere near my ovaries. Before the scopes today he told me the location of the abscess could only be caused from crohn's he was 100% certain they were going to find crohn's. After the scopes he said it could have just been an infection maybe caused by my ovaries and not to go looking for answers unless it comes back. The pain he said could be just gas pain. I don't know how gas pain could be caused in the same spot all the time. This is why l gave up looking for answers over the years.

I haven't kept any diary apart from here.
05-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #44
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Specimens taken would be biopsies. Do you have a post scope appointment?

Have you had the ASCA test done?

How frustrating for you!

I would keep a symptoms diary if it is possible and see if you can see any trends etc developing

Dusty. xxx
05-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #45
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
Heres the whole report of the ct findings

As clinically suspected a left perirectal low density area is seen which is highly reminiscent of a perirectal abscess (lacks any air fluid levels though) It measures 53x33mm, pushing the air filled rectum to the right. There is nonvisualisation of a distinct margin, therefore, it could be intramural in nature because of sever inflammation. The walls of the rectum are not very appreciable.

There is subtle streakiness opposite of the adjacent fat with craniocaudal extent of the collection being 5cm.

It is seen posterior to the uterus. The left ovary is bulky which appears to be due to phlegmonous changes extending from this collection with thickening of the peritoneal reflection.

No ovarian masses are such evident.

No renal lesions are seen. No hydronephrosis is noted.
05-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #46
lookame

My Support Groups:
Ask for a pathology report to be sent to you. Just because your scopes appear to be clear doesn't mean they truly are clear.
05-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #47
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
No l just have to follow up with my GP.

I've never had ASCA. Can my GP order that?
05-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #48
DustyKat
Super Moderator

The GP should get a copy of your results. If not ring the doctor that did your scope and ask that they be sent to the GP so you can get a copy.

The GP can order the ASCA test. My GP did based solely on the fact that my kids have it and I had abdo pain.

Dusty. xxx
05-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #49
AJC - Australia

My Support Groups:
nice! I have heard of that happening before, like the crohns can just disappear overnight…….the triple IV antibiotics must be working. Is that anti map antibiotic prescription you are taking?

good luck
05-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #50
Muppetgirl

My Support Groups:
The search for answers should be based on your experience and quality of life, not just the presence or absence of an observable mass. If things are not illuminated by the biopsies and other tests mentioned, then an investigative laparoscopy might help. They use tiny incisions and purely diagnostic laparoscopies are day cases. There are so many organs bunched closed together in the female pelvis that one system can easily affect the other. They have already flagged the ovary and peritoneum as well as the rectum. And nothing really makes up for having eyes on what is going in there.

Last edited by Muppetgirl; 05-15-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: SP
05-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #51
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
nice! I have heard of that happening before, like the crohns can just disappear overnight…….the triple IV antibiotics must be working. Is that anti map antibiotic prescription you are taking?

good luck
I haven't been diagnosed with crohn's. I was only on triple iv antibiotics for 5 days and l'm not on any anti map antibiotic.
05-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #52
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
Is it normal to have pain in the rectum after scopes?

Before the colonoscopy l was getting a slight pain when l sat down which the DR said was probably due to scar tissue. Since l has the scopes l have a constant pain to the left, it feels exactly like it did when the abscess was there but not as bad. I'm wondering if they did a biopsy of the area and its irritated it because l know there is nothing there.
05-19-2015, 02:27 AM   #53
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
It maybe a little tender after the scopes and prep and I think that would be normal. But, it seems like that should go away after a day or two at the most. From what you're mentioning though, I think at least a call to the advice nurse maybe in store...

I hope they can give you some answers. Sending lots of hugs your way.
05-19-2015, 03:10 AM   #54
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
My daughter has an appointment with our GP tomorrow so l'm going to speak to her. Something just doesn't feel right.
05-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #55
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Sounds like a plan. Please keep us updated on how you're feeling. I hope they can get down to the bottom of it (so to speak).
05-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #56
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
OMG! l am so angry that l could cry.

I was talking to my GP the other day and she had no idea why l was in pain, she told me to wait and see what the biopsies reveal. She said they usually get sent to her in a few days. Today l decided to ring the dr's receptionist and asked her how long before my GP gets the results of the biopsies. She said the results have already been sent and no biopsies were done because everything looked normal. I can't believe he didn't take any biopsies after he had previously told me he was going to take plenty. I have an appointment with my GP on Monday and l know she won't be very happy about this either.
05-22-2015, 05:56 AM   #57
xmdmom

My Support Groups:
Wow, I can understand why you're angry!
05-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #58
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
When l told my GP that my scopes were normal she asked what the DR had planned next. She couldn't believe that l didn't even have a follow up appointment with him to discuss the biopsies. Now l know why l didn't have an appointment. I just hope she has plans for more testing, l have a lot of faith in my GP...l wish l had found her years ago.
05-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #59
lookame

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry he didn't do biopsies! You don't know what is going on at the cellular level. My son's scopes looked normal but on the cellular level he has eosinophils collected in his esophagus and colon as well as some other issues in his colon.
05-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #60
Hayz

That is awful, I'm so sorry you were let down by these bloody so called health professionals!! I hope you get some answers soon xx