Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » InstantCoffee Log, rather than bloat the weight gain thread.

06-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #31
WingedVictory
Banned

http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/...tarch-rps.html
I think you will find this blog and post enlightening and give you better direction.

If you can't afford to have a stool test to diagnose what type of organism is causing dysbiosis/SIBO/SIFO > Leaky gut > systemic infection then the best approach is probably a diet like below.

From what I can gather the best approach for most with autoimmune diseases is going to be SCD, various high potency broad spectrum probiotics/fermented foods, diversity of lots of no/low starch of veggies, low starch fruit (under 20g fructose per day).

From looking at your diet I would drop the oats and juice, in fact juice is just plain bad, better to eat a piece of fruit and drink water. Your diet is severely lacking in vegetables/fruit and thus your probiotics get very little prebiotic fiber to feed on. You can either buy pectin, inulin and other prebiotic supplements or focus mostly on eating a variety of fruits/vegetables to give your good bacteria the fiber they desperately need to restore order in the gut. Inulin and pectin likely will be the main focus. In her other blog posts she goes over other prebiotics to focus on like gums and seeds and such.

If you suspect you have an overgrowth like Klebsiella (which feeds off starch and resistant starches!). Other pathogens in the small intestine may favor RS/starch too. I think my lower back pain is a sign of Ankylosing Spondylitis, which is linked with Crohn's and associated from Klebsiella. I need to research this further.

Your overgrowth could be anything. I think my focus on candida was a bit shortsighted because of my experience with the antibiotics, thinking it was a yeast specifically. Focus less on some rare transmitted pathogen like MAP and more on those that are commonly inherited at birth or from our the environment during our adolescent upbringing. Relate chronic conditions and symptoms of your family members to what type of pathogen you think you might have based on your symptoms.

I'd test out starch and resistant starch to see how you react. Many people with SIBO/SIFO have to hold off on RS until their dysbiosis is corrected. And I just bought a bunch of starchy vegetables and plantain flour, sigh.

Last edited by WingedVictory; 06-27-2015 at 02:09 PM.
06-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #32
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/...tarch-rps.html
I think you will find this blog and post enlightening and give you better direction.

If you can't afford to have a stool test to diagnose what type of organism is causing dysbiosis/SIBO/SIFO > Leaky gut > systemic infection then the best approach is probably a diet like below.

From what I can gather the best approach for most with autoimmune diseases is going to be SCD, various high potency broad spectrum probiotics/fermented foods, diversity of lots of no/low starch of veggies, low starch fruit (under 20g fructose per day).

From looking at your diet I would drop the oats and juice, in fact juice is just plain bad, better to eat a piece of fruit and drink water. Your diet is severely lacking in vegetables/fruit and thus your probiotics get very little prebiotic fiber to feed on. You can either buy pectin, inulin and other prebiotic supplements or focus mostly on eating a variety of fruits/vegetables to give your good bacteria the fiber they desperately need to restore order in the gut. Inulin and pectin likely will be the main focus. In her other blog posts she goes over other prebiotics to focus on like gums and seeds and such.

If you suspect you have an overgrowth like Klebsiella (which feeds off starch and resistant starches!). Other pathogens in the small intestine may favor RS/starch too. I think my lower back pain is a sign of Ankylosing Spondylitis, which is linked with Crohn's and associated from Klebsiella. I need to research this further.

Your overgrowth could be anything. I think my focus on candida was a bit shortsighted because of my experience with the antibiotics, thinking it was a yeast specifically. Focus less on some rare transmitted pathogen like MAP and more on those that are commonly inherited at birth or from our the environment during our adolescent upbringing. Relate chronic conditions and symptoms of your family members to what type of pathogen you think you might have based on your symptoms.

I'd test out starch and resistant starch to see how you react. Many people with SIBO/SIFO have to hold off on RS until their dysbiosis is corrected. And I just bought a bunch of starchy vegetables and plantain flour, sigh.

That's the thing though, my gut does fine with oats, and oats are high in RS.

My symptoms of late seem to be tied to the MSM I was taking and probably the chocolate I shouldn't have been eating, but they were VERY minor compared to what chocolate used to do to me (~30 minutes in the bathroom passing bile.)

Now I just get gassy. I don't plan on making chocolate a dietary staple like I did in the past, that's what got me here.

See the past year I actually went on a sort of detox diet. I was eating meat with coconut oil and seasonings (garlic, cayenne, paprike mostly) and having milk and honey which is debatable SCD legal, some say it can't feed harmful bacteria, and supplementing apple cider vinegar and my symptoms continued to get worse.

I started reacting and having persistent diarrhea and lethargy and I didn't know why. I cut out the steak, seasonings and coconut oil because the time-related formula suggested that as the cause and things got better. Eventually honey started triggering reactions as well and I had to cut that too.

I wasn't left with much and I started eating plain meat with only butter so it doesn't stick to the pan, eggs, the I incorporated some probiotics in the form of miso soup. I don't really know if that helped.

I also tried some ayurvedic treatments, taking lauki gourd and the pom juice because they use pomegranate for diarrhea. It's been the ONLY fruit juice I don't have adverse reaction to.

I cut the lauki because it just wasn't appetising enough, I kept letting them go bad but I started making chicken miso soup with kayle and carrots and was tolerating that well.

It's only been since my recent therapy I've seen significant improvement but there's been so many facets that I can't really say which helped.

The fasting seemed to give my bowels a surge of healing, I'm not sure how much the GPLC contributed. The DHEA seemed to help my mental state.

The amino acid modulation may very well be helping though. I'm debating on picking up the L-Dopa because it seemed instrumental in the effectiveness but I'm reading some sketchy stuff about how you quickly build a tolerance to L-dopa and it can have adverse effects at high doses.

Overall I'm in a -good- place right now and I'm going to stay the course with some tweaks here and there. I'm hoping to get back to intermittent fast but I think due to my current therapy I'm going to stick with normal meals and try IF here and there on my days with low physical labor.

My stomach simply wasn't dealing well with the huge meals at 5-8pm.

My weight went from 124.5 to 128 this week.
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
06-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #33
WingedVictory
Banned

Oh, by all means keep doing what you think is working. I don't know what's more important to you - gaining weight or figuring out the cause of your autoimmunity.

A lot of times I see on this forum the terms "trigger foods" and "flare" and I think they're misnomers used incorrectly. It's not about the food itself, but instead the way it manipulates our gut flora.

If you experience a "flare" from a "trigger food" it's not so much the food itself is necessarily directly causing autoimmunity and inflammation, but rather the overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria that feed on a component (starches and fibers) of that food. It's more about the continual release of destructive postbiotic compounds by pathogens that negatively impact the body and derail it towards the development of autoimmune diseases.

http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/...-analyses.html

For instance there are certain bacteria that excrete toxins that are likely associated with autoimmune disease symptoms. If you feed them their preferred prebiotic they will then give you a "flare". Like from the link above they talk about certain strains of clostridium that are associated with this behavior. They like to eat starches and RS's. Alternatively there is a strain of clostridum (butyricum) in probiotics, that as you already know, produces butyrate - which helps fight inflammation. So basically both pathogenic and probiotic organisms are competing for the same food sources. Funny how a food can be both good or bad for you depending on which one "gets the worm first" and proliferates in the gut.

I would heavily focus on researching and refining the prebiotics in your diet and getting more beneficial probiotics from supplements or fermented foods. From reading these 3 blogs this past week I think this forum needs a subforum dedicated to microbiology/gut microbiome talking about probiotics, prebiotics, fibers, and postbiotics as an emphasis for treatment. I think this is the fundamental way for treating autoimmunity and psychological disorders of all kinds. I'm guessing in the next decade or so that the way we treat chronic illness will get completely flipped on its head by studies like the Human Microbiome Project. Because right now physicians are mostly just treating the symptoms.

Seed. Feed. Weed. Sounds like a better life mantra than live, laugh, love. haha.

A lot of those supplements seem to relate to messing with hormones to try to relieve depression and other negative cognitive impairments. I think that is an indirect approach to solving the problem. That's because I think both mental and physical ailments all stem from dysbiosis. Better to manipulate the populations of the gut flora. Decrease the pathogenic ones that cause negative mood/cognitive symptoms/digestive inflammation, etc and instead increase the probiotic ones that keep the pathogenic ones in check to increase serotonin/dopamine production.

There's a commenter on that blog by someone called, Ashwin who talks about the ayurvedic medicine stuff like mixing all sorts of antimicrobial spices like turmeric, ginger, etc to make a special tea. That's an interesting aspect too - could be effective in treating SIBO/SIFO.

Some of those foods sound pretty exotic and I thought I was strange for buying plantains and yuccas the other day, heh.

Last edited by WingedVictory; 06-28-2015 at 01:01 PM.
06-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #34
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Plantains are a no go. 24 hours later I'm still running to the toilet.
06-29-2015, 04:36 AM   #35
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
How do you know it's the plantains? Do you never just get symptoms unrelated to food?
06-29-2015, 04:59 AM   #36
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
How do you know it's the plantains? Do you never just get symptoms unrelated to food?
Never, in my experience, it's always tied to some trigger that upsets the equilibrium. Things were going great until the plantain. It's also possible it's the garlic but I've been cooking with garlic on and off recently and not had a response like this, but I did use a lot on the plantain fries I made.

Given then high amount of resistant starch it's not really surprising plantains might have this effect. Either by overfeeding good bacteria and creating a lot of waste product, or by feeding bad bacteria RS can cause distress.

I'll try fructooligosaccharides next time I get a chance. They seem more beneficial to crohn's.

@WingedVictory if neurotransmitters were merely a mask for the problem, it's still weird to me that some people on the amino-acid therapy were able to eliminate their food sensitivities and go back to having regular bowel movements while on it.
If it was indeed SIBO causing the problems, then there's no way that this therapy should be able to work around it.
06-29-2015, 05:14 AM   #37
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
So you have zero symptoms unless you eat something wrong? Why not just avoid the things you can't tolerate and have no symptoms all the time?
06-29-2015, 05:29 AM   #38
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
So you have zero symptoms unless you eat something wrong? Why not just avoid the things you can't tolerate and have no symptoms all the time?
It's hard to explain but if I over-limit my diet it seems to starve off the healthy bacteria and eventually it catches up to me.

On top of that a strict 'safe' diet for me is not sustainable - it's too satiating so I can't eat enough calories, it's not diverse enough so it's not healthy. My safe diet is mostly meats and fats with very low carbs.

I've tried it, and I just end up losing weight because I can't eat enough calories to keep up.
06-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #39
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I understand - well, maybe not the bacteria part, but I do know what it's like trying to find balances. Although I never get to a point of having no symptoms, the best diet for my digestive system doesn't have enough calories to stop me losing weight and would have virtually no fruit or vegetables.
06-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #40
WingedVictory
Banned

As I've said before. I think the fact that you have trouble with starches is a sign of pathogenic overgrowth - likely a specific species that thrives on them and has dominant colonies in your small intestine. Even myself. I don't usually get diarrhea, but I get belching, flatulence, and stomach rumbles from eating large amounts of carbs, more specifically starches. Cold boiled green bananas and a tablespoon of potato starch made my stomach rumble for hours the other day (Klebsiella?). That is with taking into account I had 5 days of antibiotics which probably got rid of more good bacteria than the bad.

I would definitely stick to simple carbs like fruit (preferably those high in soluble fibers) for now and eat them first on an empty stomach so they get absorbed better. Work on healing leaky gut. I think if you do bone broth or l-glutamine with gelatin you will make progress healing the begging portions of your small intestine to better help you absorb your carbs before bad bacteria do. It has without question helped me get rid of my salicylate intolerance. In turn this will help reduce their population and given probiotics a better efficacy. Keep introducing foods and spices with antimicrobial properties.

You likely have severe leaky gut if you can't keep a steady weight. In fact it could be the toxic postbiotics from pathogenic overgrowth that is causing you diarrhea...that or die off of your probiotic flora. As a kid I had bad diarrhea from binging on large amounts of sugar/starch. Bacteremia is the term for when foreign microorganisms get in the blood. So taking large doses of fermented foods could make matters worse - especially give my experiences with milk kefir. Go for the kraut or kimchi. You might have to just bite the bullet and at some point give VSl3, Elixa, or other megadose probiotics a chance. At this point I feel my main options are either probiotics/prebiotics/antimicrobials in some form...or a fecal matter transplant. Frankly, I'm not that interested in the former.

In cases of severe leaky gut I think the best way may be to treat the dysbiosis through rebalancing the flora in the colon first. That's where enteric coated high dose probiotics come into play. I hope to soon give you some feedback on my experiences with high dose probiotics. Today I took 10 capsules of primal defense as way to see if I can handle higher dosages. At this rate I will go through a bottle quickly. I don't intend to pressure you to waste money unnecessarily. With some commitment you may be able to turn things around by slowly ramping up the fermented foods and eating the bionic soluble fiber they need to thrive and re-establish a defensive barrier against pathogens lining the mucosa/intestinal barrier. Longum, Roseburia, akkermansia muciniphilla,and plantarum are some species that I read about on the Animal Farm blog that are supposed to defend the intestinal lining from opportunistic pathogens. I read a few of them like eating oligiofructose and inulin.

I would put my money on it that the vast majority of this community, if not all, has dysbiosis and leaky gut to varying degrees. It's pretty safe to self-diagnose yourself and believe you have it. There's an endless war raging in our stomachs by trillions of microorganisms. Your job is mostly to supply the beneficial ones with the proper ammunition to win the war. I'm starting to talk in circles so I will report back on my experiences with high dose probiotic supplements. Hopefully I can convince my bullish GI to prescribe me VSL3 - I'm a bit tired of arguing with these baboons.

For weight gain focus why not just increase your fat intake?

Last edited by WingedVictory; 06-29-2015 at 11:58 AM.
06-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #41
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I understand - well, maybe not the bacteria part, but I do know what it's like trying to find balances. Although I never get to a point of having no symptoms, the best diet for my digestive system doesn't have enough calories to stop me losing weight and would have virtually no fruit or vegetables.
When I ate a super restrictive diet, eventually it would stop working, but now it seems adding things back into it is also important, I'm finding.

It's as much about what you take out as what you put back in.

As I've said before. I think the fact that you have trouble with starches is a sign of pathogenic overgrowth - likely a specific species that thrives on them and has dominant colonies in your small intestine. Even myself. I don't usually get diarrhea, but I get belching, flatulence, and stomach rumbles from eating large amounts of carbs, more specifically starches. Cold boiled green bananas and a tablespoon of potato starch made my stomach rumble for hours the other day (Klebsiella?). That is with taking into account I had 5 days of antibiotics which probably got rid of more good bacteria than the bad.

I would definitely stick to simple carbs like fruit (preferably those high in soluble fibers) for now and eat them first on an empty stomach so they get absorbed better. Work on healing leaky gut. I think if you do bone broth or l-glutamine with gelatin you will make progress healing the begging portions of your small intestine to better help you absorb your carbs before bad bacteria do. It has without question helped me get rid of my salicylate intolerance. In turn this will help reduce their population and given probiotics a better efficacy. Keep introducing foods and spices with antimicrobial properties.

You likely have severe leaky gut if you can't keep a steady weight. In fact it could be the toxic postbiotics from pathogenic overgrowth that is causing you diarrhea...that or die off of your probiotic flora. As a kid I had bad diarrhea from binging on large amounts of sugar/starch. Bacteremia is the term for when foreign microorganisms get in the blood. So taking large doses of fermented foods could make matters worse - especially give my experiences with milk kefir. Go for the kraut or kimchi. You might have to just bite the bullet and at some point give VSl3, Elixa, or other megadose probiotics a chance. At this point I feel my main options are either probiotics/prebiotics/antimicrobials in some form...or a fecal matter transplant. Frankly, I'm not that interested in the former.

In cases of severe leaky gut I think the best way may be to treat the dysbiosis through rebalancing the flora in the colon first. That's where enteric coated high dose probiotics come into play. I hope to soon give you some feedback on my experiences with high dose probiotics. Today I took 10 capsules of primal defense as way to see if I can handle higher dosages. At this rate I will go through a bottle quickly. I don't intend to pressure you to waste money unnecessarily. With some commitment you may be able to turn things around by slowly ramping up the fermented foods and eating the bionic soluble fiber they need to thrive and re-establish a defensive barrier against pathogens lining the mucosa/intestinal barrier. Longum, Roseburia, akkermansia muciniphilla,and plantarum are some species that I read about on the Animal Farm blog that are supposed to defend the intestinal lining from opportunistic pathogens. I read a few of them like eating oligiofructose and inulin.

I would put my money on it that the vast majority of this community, if not all, has dysbiosis and leaky gut to varying degrees. It's pretty safe to self-diagnose yourself and believe you have it. There's an endless war raging in our stomachs by trillions of microorganisms. Your job is mostly to supply the beneficial ones with the proper ammunition to win the war. I'm starting to talk in circles so I will report back on my experiences with high dose probiotic supplements. Hopefully I can convince my bullish GI to prescribe me VSL3 - I'm a bit tired of arguing with these baboons.

For weight gain focus why not just increase your fat intake?
There's too much hit or miss with probiotics I feel. If you don't know what strains you need, or which ones are overpopulated, it's very hard to know what supplements to buy, not only that but what kind of coatings you need to deliver them where, what kind of diet you need to support them once you get them there etc.

I'm not ready to commit the kind of money or time into it until I know more specifics and can take a targeted approach, because I've already tried probiotics in the past and never experienced any benefits from it. It simply takes so long for them to take hold that it's not easy to know if what you're doing actually works or not.

I'm starting to think my diarrhea this weekend could be the new acetyl l-cystine I bought, because it should have passed by now if it was just the plantain.

The l-cystine I had before was not acetyl and thus harder to absorb, I likely wasn't getting the effect of it. The doctor who wrote the therapy says himself the cystine pills will cause liver detoxification and gastric upset. They usually taper the dose way down and add it gradually when this happens. As I've tapered it down the diarrhea is lessening.

Unfortunately I had a hiccup with some bad decision making regarding dosing of the 5-HTP.

The dosing this week was 1000mg tyrosine 300mg 5-htp before bed. After some thinking about how it works and doing well on 300 I decided to try 400 and it kept me awake until midnight, but otherwise I felt fine.

I repeated this dose this morning. At first I was experiencing severe depression, but I thought it might just be personal life issues (probably not).
Suddenly something hit me and I had an anxiety attack. My heart was racing and I felt tingling in my face and hands. I rushed to get my tyrosine to offset it, it calmed down over the next hour and I felt very normal the rest of the day.

After more reading it looks like Tyrosine always needs to be taken in increasing doses to offset the 5-HTP.

So I'm reviewing some of the dosing other patients had, I'm dialing back my l-cysteine and starting the L-dopa today which was the most important part for the patient that had the best result. He was able to almost fully reverse his food intolerance.

The l-cysteine thing make further sense after reading the description. "Sulfur-containing amino acid." So far all sulfur stuff has messed with me. It's also possible it just reacts differently, the original treatment calls for just l-cysteine, I'm going to cut out the acetylcysteine and see if I improve, then go back to regular l-cysteine instead if it does. I worry about discontinuing it entirely. I'm not sure the exact purpose of it, but l-cystine is protective of the liver and kidneys, if it is in fact to protect against the toxicity of this therapy, I don't want to discontinue it.

Will have to wait until my next paycheck, maybe longer. I just got him with car taxes and I need to have some in the bank for car payment and student loan.

I wish this wasn't so expensive, or I had a better job.

I'm going to start reviewing my dosing and reactions to them. After thoroughly reading other patients it seems that dosing goes something like this:

The primary drug contains 1500mg tyrosine, 150mg 5-htp + cofactors, so 5-htp is never dosed independent of the 1500mg tyrosine.

Doses range from 2 pills to 6 pills a day depending o patient, typically at 2 in the morning 2 at night.

The other medication contains cystine and folate, a gradual increase in this over time is the recurring trend.

L-Dopa seems to be added after week 2, too much can cause adverse effects, so erring on the side of too little and building up seems safest. Most take 1-3 a day, no more, but dosing is different because theirs is 40% purity, mine only 15%. I have to check the mg and get a breakdown for what I need to equalize dosing.

6/30/15
So this morning I took:
1500 mg acetyl L-tyrosine
200mg 5-htp
2x L-dopa pills 333mg at 15%
1x acetyl l-cystine
3x multi vitamin

I had some of the 'rush' effect but no full on anxiety attack. Frequent bathroom trips through the morning.

12:00 dose:
1500mg acetyl l-tyrosine
100mg 5-htp
1x l-dopa
1x multi vitamin

I had a single partially formed BM after some urgency increase followed by a relaxing of symptoms. Either tapering dose or not having l-cystine seems to have helped.

I forgot to take my calcium and magnesium unfortunately. I will take it before bed.

Last night before bed:
900mg acetyl l-tyrosine
100mg 5-htp
2x multi
calcium + magnesium.
vit A + K

Stomach settled through the night although I was gassy. I tried eating some nitrate free hotdogs and it seemed to work out alright.

7/1/15
AM dose:
900mg A-LT
100mg 5-htp
3x multi
1000mg vit c
1x calcium capsule + 2x magnesium capsule

So far so good, mood and digestion seem stable. Maybe 1500+ mg tyrosine is too high on the A-LT, the acetyl may be more bioavailable and higher doses may just be creating a stronger reaction. Either that or it's the L-dopa that had me running to the bathroom all yesterday which also contains maltodextrin which I wish I'd seen. Oh well I have a shipment of new stuff coming in today with some bulk A-LT and 5-htp powder so I can alter dosing a bit more exact.

12:00 dose

1200mg ALT
100mg 5-htp
1000mg vit C
600mg l-lysine
1x l-dopa capsule

Ugh I just saw the l-dopa has rice flour too, that could be causing problems. Oh well I'll try it one more time and see what happens. My new supply from NOW arrives tonight. If symptoms start after this dose I'll know it's the l-dopa.

Last edited by InstantCoffee; 07-01-2015 at 10:50 AM.
07-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #42
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
this could interest you

Oleic Acid Modulates Gut Bacteria and Induces Weight Loss on HFD Diet

on your recent regime, vitamin c is probably making you going to the bathroom.
I'll check it out.

Definitely is the something in the L-Dopa supplemenet. I can and have taken super high doses of vitamin C with no repercussions. (over 3000-6000 mg a day.)

Within 45 minutes of taking my L-dopa pill I was in the bathroom. It has maltodextrin and rice flour, both bad for me, so not really surprised at all. I was feeling good up until taking it. I'll trash it and try again with the cleaner stuff I get today.

This study is interesting. I thought overgrowth of bacteroidetes was linked to obesity while firmicutes was the opposite?

Nevermind just read the opposite. BUT firmicutes is likely more important for Crohn's because it is the top butyric acid producer. It's likely we would want to avoid oleic acid because they seem to be in competition with one another. I could be wrong.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856500/
"The metagenomic approach allowed us to detect a reduced complexity of the bacterial phylum Firmicutes as a signature of the faecal microbiota in patients with CD. It also indicated the presence of new bacterial species."

I've definitely hit something with my current dosing. I feel a profound relaxedness, not really 'calmness' of mind, but like a softness over my body. It's hard to explain. It's like I was chronically 'uncomfortable' up until this point. Not in any kind of pain, but just impossible to feel comfortable, and now it's gone.

It feels like my body is covered in soft blankets. Not numb. Just comfortable and warm...

This is really interesting
http://www.nature.com/nrgastro/journ...2011.3_T2.html

https://mrheisenbug.wordpress.com/20...ly-not-enough/

This one I think I linked to before has some really hard hitting facts.

While resistant start feeds firmicutes, it also feeds bacteroidetes, and bacteroidetes is likely already way over expressed in Crohn's patients.

The problem with bacteroidetes is when you starve it of fermentable starches it turns to human mucosa to feed!

Might this mucin degradation have something to do with the Bacteroides correlation to inflammatory disease? Maybe:

Another possible mechanism by which members of the Bacteroidetes probably contribute to the pathogenesis of colitis is by the production of mucin- degrading sulphatases. Elevated levels of bacterial mucin- desulphating sulphatases have been reported for patients suffering from active UC. Furthermore, the existence of enzymes that will partially desulphate mucins has been demonstrated for B. thetaiotaomicron, B. fragilis and for Prevotella spp., suggesting that members of the Bacteroidetes could contribute to chronic inflammation by an impairment of the barrier function of the epithelial cell layer.

I'm actually gonna post this elsewhere, I think it's pretty important

Last edited by InstantCoffee; 07-01-2015 at 01:20 PM.
07-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #43
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Maybe I jumped the gun on this. maybe bacteroidetes feeding on intestinal mucins isn't a bad thing!

Just found this
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705355/
Polydextrose consumption resulted in a dose-dependent decrease in bacteroides, as well as an increase in lactobacilli and bifidobacteria [42,43].
Intake of a mixture of FOS and inulin has also produced significant reductions in disease severity indices, reduction in pro-inflammatory immune markers, and a reduction in calprotectin, an abundant neutrophil protein found in both plasma and stool that is markedly elevated in patients with inflammatory bowel disease [55].
http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/1503...srep09253.html
To date, there are no studies that have assessed their mechanism of action and ability to alter mucosal immune responses in the intestine. We characterized the immunomodulatory function of six phytonutrients: anethol, carvacrol, cinnamaldehyde, eugenol, capsicum oleoresin and garlic extract.
Interesting! Carvacrol is in thyme and oregano oil which a guy named Canada Mark on Healingwell has been using to treat his crohn's-colitis with pretty good results.

It's also a strong anti bacterial/viral/fungal

However only eugenol stimulated production of the inner mucus layer, a key mucosal barrier to microbes. The mechanism by which eugenol causes mucus layer thickening likely involves microbial stimulation as analysis of the intestinal microbiota composition showed eugenol treatment led to an increase in abundance of specific families within the Clostridiales order.
Eugenol : It is a colorless to pale yellow oily liquid extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil and bay leaf.[1][2][3][4] It is present in concentrations of 80–90% in clove bud oil and at 82–88% in clove leaf oil.[5]

Eugenol is hepatotoxic, meaning it may cause damage to the liver.[19][20] Overdose is possible, causing a wide range of symptoms from blood in the patient's urine, to convulsions, diarrhoea, nausea, unconsciousness, dizziness, or rapid heartbeat.[21] According to a published 1993 report, a 2-year old boy nearly died after taking between 5 and 10 ml.[22] Eugenol is subject to restrictions on its use in perfumery[23] as some people may become sensitised to it, however, the degree to which eugenol can cause an allergic reaction in humans is disputed.[24]

Microbial utilization of intestinal mucins results in degradation of mucin peptides and utilization of the associated O-linked glycans as an important energy source. Consequent to glycan utilization by certain microbes is the production of waste products, including short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) butyrate, acetate, and propionate23, 24. Butyrate production by microbes has been implicated in a feedback mechanism that is involved in upregulating mucus production by goblet cells in response to mucin utilization, replenishing the utilized mucins and associated glycans25, 26.
Interesting. So maybe the bacteria feeding on the mucins is not a bad thing. Maybe it's actually a good thing and why many Crohn's patients see a benefit from fasting? Fasting forces bacteria to feed on mucins instead of relying on outer sources of food which upregulates SCFA production? Just a theory.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3448089/
Diets rich in complex carbohydrates show less pathogenic species such as Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis and Enterobacteriaceae [49] than diets higher in fat or protein [48,50,51,52].
Refined sugars, on the other hand, mediate the overgrowth of opportunistic bacteria like C. difficile [54] and C. perfringens by increasing bile output [55]
And there's what I've been assuming this whole time. Increase of bile output we see in Crohn's disease increases bad bacteria.
I see a dramatic increase in bile output from certain refined sugars, mainly HFCS.
Bile is the chicken, bacteria is the egg.

Other studies conducted in mice have found that high-fat diets rich in safflower oil, an omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA), reduces the abundance of Bacteroidetes while enriching the populations of Firmicutes, Actinobacteria and Proteobacteria [59,60].
Summary of diet-induced dysbiosis.

Diet Bacteria Altered Effect on Bacteria References
High-fat
Bifidobacteria spp. Decreased (absent) [45]
High-fat and high-sugar
Clostridium innocuum, Catenibacterium mitsuokai and Enterococcus spp. Increased [18]
Bacteroides spp. Decreased [18]

Carbohydrate-reduced
Bacteroidetes Increased [49]

Calorie-restricted
Clostridium coccoides, Lactobacillus spp. and Bifidobacteria spp. Decreased (growth prevented) [48]

Complex carbohydrates
Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis and Enterobacteriaceae Decreased [49]
B. longum subspecies longum, B.breve and B. thetaiotaomicron Increased [53]
Refined sugars
C. difficile and C. perfringens Increased [54,55]
Vegetarian
E. coli Decreased [56]
High n-6 PUFA from safflower oil
Bacteroidetes Decreased [59,60]
Firmicutes, Actinobacteria and Proteobacteria Increased [59,60]
δ-Proteobacteria Increased [61]
Animal milk fat
δ-Proteobacteria Increased [62]

Last edited by InstantCoffee; 07-07-2015 at 11:55 AM.
07-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #44
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I'm doing further research into polydextrose, it's funny because I see positive studies, then this 'skeptical' article
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ry_fibber.html

which basically amounts to "Well it's not fiber so don't call it fiber." but has no claims as to why it's not good for you.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...96952980,d.cGU

Short-chain fatty acid production—notably that of butyrate, isobutyrate, and acetate—increased with polydextrose ingestion. There were substantial changes in fecal anaerobes after polydextrose intake. Bacteroides species (B. fragilis, B. vulgatus, and B. intermedius) decreased, whereas Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species increased.
Conclusion: Polydextrose ingestion had significant dietary fiber–like effects with no laxative problems.
This is EXACTLY what we want. It is however artificial and possibly GMO, take that however you will.

I'm looking at Optimum Nutrition creates a fiber supplement with Polydextrose, Inulin, Psyllium Husks and some other fibers, but has "Digestion Resistant Maltodextrin." I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Update on my therapy:

I believe that my initial good response to fasting and the loss of that benefit was largely that I was also supplementing psyllium husks daily, and previously saw them as just a way to cheat and have sugar.

Now that I understand their prebiotic effects it's likely that there's more to them than that, however due to my medication scheduling I couldn't take it because it can prevent absorption of drugs.

Upon seeing that other patients were taking their drugs twice a day instead of the 3-4x outlined in the study I decided I could try doing the same.

I now take my amino acids at about 5:30 in the morning, then I can have my psyllium husks between 10:00 and lunch time then be ready for my 4:00 dose of amino acids and still have time for more psyllium husks before bed.

I've gradually increased my amino acids from 1000mg tyrosine 100-150mg 5-htp twice a day to 2400mg tyrosine 300mg 5-htp. I'll maintain at 300mg 5-htp and continue to increase tyrosine slowly.
D-mucuna and 1 pill 2x a day seems safe as well.

I'm noticing positive mood enhancing effects, and a very powerful stimulant effect. I've switched to decaf coffee as I no longer feel the need for caffeine. This has me worried about withdrawals from discontinuing the medication similar to caffeine withdrawals.

No anxiety attacks or depression this time around.

I'm not sure what happened sunday. I had oatmeal with milk, butter and maple syrup, then later in the day I had gluten free mac and cheese with tuna and cottage cheese. I went out and was active all day and symptom free until about 4:00 when I got hit with really bad gas. I accidentally let a few slip while hanging out with a girl I'm talking with, I was mortified until she started laughing her ass off.

It seems that I get symptoms now when I don't eat, whereas just a few weeks ago not eating provided no symptoms, I think this suggests a change in my gut flora, which is my goal afterall.

I'll have to make sure I bring a snack of some sort if I plan to be out of the house for a while.

Early experiments with probiotics and prebiotics have been uncomfortable experiences but maybe necessary evils. Very gassy with some irregular bowel habits.

After last Friday's post I went to the store and bought Clove oil and a symbiotic formula of FOS with bifido and lactobacillus probiotics. They seem to trigger gas and some irregularity, I'll stick with it for a while in hopes I 'adjust' to them.

I've decided to move away from carrot juice and just learn to enjoy them raw.

I've been eating large amounts of raw strawberries all week with no observable negative effects.

Last edited by InstantCoffee; 07-07-2015 at 02:40 PM.
07-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #45
WingedVictory
Banned

If you're going to spend the money to go the antimicrobial route you might want to 'pony up' and get some biofilm disruptiors to go with them. They break up the defensive barriers that pathogens use to protect themselves from antimicrobials. I had a "wellness educator" recommend me serrapeptase (which I just started taking) and I'm going to pick up lactoferrin soon. I haven't seen any results yet, but I need to pick up some antimicrobials to go with the biofilm busters. All I'm taking with it is this high potency candida 9 tonic...which isn't effective as far as I can tell. She recommended Oreganol capsules, Caprylic acid, and some Chinese herb mixtures.

If you decide to try the biofilm disruptors it of course would be optimal to space them out away from your probiotic/prebiotic routine. I'm thinking biofilms + antimicrobials morning and night and probiotics/prebiotics in the afternoon.

It looks like you're moving away from juices to whole foods which I think will benefit you in the long run. Strawberries are noted for being heavy pesticide/dirty dozen they recommend going organic if you can afford it and are concerned with taking in more toxins. Skin breakouts/conditions are a sign of toxic overload, likely mostly from pathogenic overgrowth and their constant toxic assault. I noticed I get a mood boost from doing cardio...which I think comes from all the detoxing from tons of sweating.

That dysbios summary is interesting and would be helpful if you can get a measure of the microorganism populations of your gut specifically. Would allow you to tweak your diet to deprive the type of pathogen overgrowth you have. Although I think many may be adaptive in being able to consume protein or fat if necessary.

I may pick up some psyillum husk on account of your mood/cognitive improvement. Do you take whole or powdered? What's the difference? I kind of wanted to wait on FODMAPs, resistant starch, and prebiotics. I'm a bit conflicted as to whether I should focus on killing off pathogens or feeding probiotic bacteria in hopes they will assist in restoring balance. I'm worried pathogens will eat the prebiotics too. Most practitioners seem to recommend avoiding FODMAPs at first, not sure what psyllium husk is classified as???

Charming women with flatulence...I'll have to give that one a try sometime. Haha.
07-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #46
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I'll consider them after I read more about it but right now my current directive is to create healthy bacteria, I'm not too worried about pathogens. I don't believe I have SIBO right now, just a shortage of good bacteria.

The psyllium husks were not what modified my mood. Intermittent fasting did, but now I'm on amino-acid therapy that's what's stimulating positive mood changes. It's the high doses of tyrosine and 5-htp with l-dopa.

As far as I can tell psyllium husks and fiber have the same benefits but fiber is more palatable for most people. I use husks cause they're cheaper and I don't care.

Some pathogens can feed on prebiotics, the scariest one is klebsiella, however as you'll see above consuming certain prebiotic fibers is linked to decrease in MAP.

One of the great things about fibers is they will counter out the bile acids produced by consuming simple sugars that promote the growth of harmful bacteria like c.diff. So far I'm seeing them as primarily protective and I don't know if it's really worth worrying about the harmful bacteria unless you have severe SIBO because as the good bacteria grow they should protect against the bad ones and restore gut mucosa to prevent further immune response so your immune system can return to normal.

If you just focus on killing you'll just be left with bacteroidetes bacteria after a while which can work but will leave you with a super limited diet, it will take even longer to rebuild a diverse gut flora with the bifido and clostridia strains you need to increase your dietary tolerances.

Updates for 7/8/2015

Last night's dose:
2400mg tyrosnie
300mg 5-htp
1x L-Dopa

This morning's dose
2800mg tyrosine
300mg 5-htp
1x l-dopa

Maintained a steady high level of energy, but slept fine.

Yesterday all day I felt wired, like I was high on caffeine. Today it doesn't seem quite as pronounced despite increasing my dose slightly. It's weird, when I started the therapy the first side effects were extreme drowsiness / sleepiness at work. It's come full circle.

I picked up a flavorless, all-natural protein shake for some quick easy calories without all the sugars and crap you usually find in them.

I also picked up a bifido specific probiotic this morning. I ordered some of the Fitness Fiber by ON and it should arrive on Friday. $10 for two tubs is a bargain. I'm weary about the 'digestion resistant maltodextrin' in it, but hopefully it's either not a problem or offset by all the other beneficial prebiotic fibers.

I continue to see stabilization with psyllium husks back in my diet, my night time gas was very much reduced and I slept alright last night. I had a semi-loose BM when I got up, not 100% sure why, but I feel like the first probiotic I bought which is a chewable flavored with sugar might be to blame.

Or the beef bone broth i made. I seem to tolerate the chicken alright but beef sometimes gives me issues and stomach discomfort.

It could also be the new protein shake but time will tell on that one.

I found my favorite strawberry brand also comes in organic at the store so I had a pound of those for breakfast, also bought some green baby bananas and some carrot sticks. Lunch is oatmeal with honey, 100% maple syrup, milk and protein shake with safflower oil and a package of gluten free mac and cheese.

Might cheat and try a little chocolate again because I lack self control.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...ement/tyrosine
Levodopa (L-dopa) -- Tyrosine should not be taken at the same time as levodopa, a medication used to treat Parkinson's disease. Levodopa may interfere with the absorption of tyrosine.
I may shift my second dose of L-dopa to be at a different time than my tyrosine after reading this. It's really hard to balance this, I need to take 1 dose in the morning 1 at night plus find time either 2 hours before or 4 hours after my medications for psyllium husks.

One interesting thing I thought of this morning, I had a symptom of something for a long time that went away without me really noticing.

All winter and through the spring I had chronic crusting up inside my nose, plus my nose was always running. Often times there was scabbing or yellow / white crusty stuff that wasn't like usual mucus on the inside of my nostrils.

I haven't noticed it and haven't had to carry tissues with me everywhere, it's been gone... maybe since shortly after I started the fasting therapy?

It could just be a seasonal thing and purely coincidental.

Interesting post supporting my belief that MAP is a marker of increased crohn's activity, not causative:
https://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=36726
Hi, Old Mike, sorry for the delay. I am in a vacation with my family with busy schedules and limited access to Internet. It had been a pleasure to have exchanged thoughts, ideas and information over the email, and thanks for your interest in my opinion on the possible link between Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis (MAP) and IBD, especially Crohn’s disease (CD).

Not like saccharin and sucralose, MAP as the possible cause of Crohn’s disease had been suspected for about a century, with extensive studies by some researchers, especially in the last several decades. Despite that, the results remains highly controversial, largely because the conflicting “facts” in almost every aspects. To my knowledge, there is also a big discrepancy between the incidence of IBD and contamination of MAP in some countries. For instance, Sweden had been one of the countries with the highest incidence of IBD, including both CD and ulcerative colitis (UC), but MAP contamination had been extremely low (see Sternberg Lewerin S et al. Control of paratuberculosis in Sweden. Proceedings of the 9th International Colloquium on Paratuberculosis 2007, p. 319-323. http://www.paratuberculosis.info/web...ories/pdfs/274). Back to 1952, MAP had been included in the Swedish Epizootic Act (SFS 1999:657). According to this legislation any suspicion of MAP is notifiable for animal owners, veterinarians or other professionals with animal contact, regardless of the species of the animal. Moreover, it required the Swedish Board of Agriculture must investigate all suspect cases and take all necessary means to eradicate and prevent the spread of the infection, if confirmed. As the result, although there were a few sporadic cases of MAP infection in cattle since 1993, all the cases were directly or indirectly linked to the imported animals, with all cases being beef herds, but none in dairy herds. The negative finding of domestically originated MAP in the more than 1.5 million of cattle and about half a million of sheep all over the country suggested the extremely low, if not zero, MAP contamination in Sweden, despite the very high incidence of CD and UC seen in many cities in Sweden like Stockholm, Uppsala, Orebro, Malmo, and Gothenburg.

In addition, there were also many conflict results regarding other aspects on the suspected link between MAP and IBD. Although some studies (like the one in Forest Virginia) suspected that contamination of MAP in the pasteurized milk or the water supply may cause CD in human, other studies failed to show any increased risk for dairy farmers with a more direct and certain contact with MAP through the infected animals (Jones PH, et al. Crohn's disease in people exposed to clinical cases of bovine paratuberculosis. Epidemiol Infect 2006;134:49-56). Although study indeed found MAP in the lymph nodes of feral cats on the contaminated farm, they did not had the signs of IBD (Palmer MV et al. Isolation of Mycobacterium avium subsp paratuberculosis (Map) from feral cats on a dairy farm with Map-infected cattle. J Wildl 2005;41:629-35).

At beginning people were suspected a similar origin for both Johne’s disease in cattle and CD in humans as they both showed the obstructive damage near the end of the ileum. However, as shown in some of the recent studies, there was a shift of CD from the small intestine to large intestine over time and the involvement of only large intestine has become the main form for CD (the Crohn’s colitis). I suspected that IBD now would be more mimic the commonly seen IBD in pet dogs and cats rather than the Johne’s disease in cattle (Qin X. What is human inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) more like: Johne's disease in cattle or IBD in dogs and cats? Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2008 Jan;14(1):138). There were also many other fundamental differences between Johne’s disease and CD. For instance, large amounts of MAP can be found in the mucosa or feces of cattle with Johne’s disease, which can be transmitted to healthy herds; in contrast, the bacteria are hardly seen in the tissues and feces of patients with CD, and IBD in general is regarded as noncontiguous. Although studies showed higher rates of existence of MAP in gut tissue of CD patients by the high sensitive methods such as the PCR detection of the IS900 DNA segments, there are also increase in other bacteria such as Helicobacter spp., Listeria monocytogenes and Escherichia coli, suggesting this could be just reflected the weakening of gut barrier and increased gut permeability (Tiveljung A, et al. Presence of eubacteria in biopsies from Crohn's disease inflammatory lesions as determined by 16S rRNA gene-based PCR. J Med Microbiol 1999;48:263-8). Finding of viable MAP in patients with CD would be important evidence for the possible link. However, the more rigorous test organized by NIH failed to repeat and confirm these findings (Van Kruiningen HJ. Where are the weapons of mass destruction - the Mycobacterium paratuberculosis in Crohn's disease? J Crohns Colitis 2011;5:638-44). Therefore, it would be no surprising that there are many deep believers on both sides. Both sides think they hold enough scientific evidences. However, one thing would be true: one side must be wrong, along with the many “solid scientific facts”.
Xiaofa Qin is offline Report Post
7/9/15
Last night's dose
2800mg l-tyrosine
300 mg 5-htp
1x L-Dopa

Today's dose:
3200mg l-tyrosine
300mg 5-htp
1x L-Dopa in morning, one at 11:00.

My mood hasn't felt as positive the past two days, maybe due to the increase of tyrosine, but it could just take time to balance out, as the doctor said it can take 5 days. The tiredness is back too, I'm not feeling the stimulating effect of the tyrosine, it seems like once the dose exceeds a certain threshold is starts going in the opposite direction. Strange.

Going to 3000mg or above was when I started feeling depressed and anxious last time.

I guess I'm going on faith now, if I just sat at about 1500 to 150 I could probably maintain the 'feel good' properties of the therapy, but even the patient with the best gastrointestinal response to it reported some depression, anxiety and fatigue.

I continue to experience a lot of gas, but not painful gas like I've had in the past. I'm going to try no chewing gum for a while, I know I shouldn't be having it but I'm very self conscious about bad breath after eating. The sorbitol in sugar free gum is a FODMAP and I should be avoiding it.

The gas as also smelled worse than usual, but my BMs have been formed and more regular, so this might be a sign of positive bacteria rebalancing.

I'd backed off the L-glutamine because I believed it caused gas previously but I want to look at reintroducing it and the Taurine.

Last edited by InstantCoffee; 07-09-2015 at 02:38 PM.
07-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #47
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Gas seems to be linked to my maple syrup consumption.

Weird because other sugars don't seem to be stimulating it the same. I cut out maple syrup today but I've still have pom juice, honey, ice cream and strawberries and my urgent, excessive gas is gone.

There's definitely something different about how it's digested like people say, just not sure what.

I tried doing a home made probiotic enema today and ended up with bloody mucus. The only two times I've ever had blood is after trying probiotic enemas. Maybe it's one of the additional ingredients in the primal defense probiotics, they have a lot of filler ingredients I don't like.

If I ever decide to try it again it will be with a purer source of probiotics with no filler. I may culture it overnight in water with prebiotic fiber in distilled water to enhance potency.

I've been munching on green baby bananas without problem, taking the Fitness Fiber.

Sticking with the current doses on my therapy:
Morning:
3200mg tyrosine
300mg 5-htp
3x multi for cofactors (b6, folate, C, calcium)
500mg lysine
1500mg cysteine
plus additional calcium and magnesium supplements on the saide

Aside from that I'm taking fish oil, a weekly vit D and I take a vitamin K at the same time to balance it.

About 10g of l-glutamine,
3.2g taurine

I've temporarily stopped taking the oils because I was considering them as a cause of the gas. I'll retry them when I'm certain it's cleared my system.
07-12-2015, 03:42 AM   #48
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Wouldn't it be easier to add/change one thing at a time so you always know the cause of the problem?

Couldn't you use mouthwash or brush your teeth after eating if you don't want to chew gum?
07-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #49
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I should, but I'm impatient so I use a shotgun approach. Modify a bunch of things, if I see positive results I find out which one caused it later. Not scientific, not responsible, but time is of the essence.

I can't really brush my teeth at work or when out with friends. I don't think gum was the cause anyway because it seems to definitely be the maple syrup, and the small amounts of sweetener swallowed probably amount to very little.

Today I had an interesting accidental experiment. I accidentally ingested a lot of high fructose corn syrup, one of my worst trigger foods. 3 hours later I'm not having any reaction to it.

I used to get diarrhea, dehydration and lethargy in the first 30 minutes from even a mouthful of juice with it.
07-13-2015, 04:47 AM   #50
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I have an incredibly dry mouth, so I always clean my teeth after eating, I take little travel-size tooth-paste everywhere, nobody seems to mind seeing me brush my teeth in the bathrooms of retaurants, and they may think it's weird but probably no weirder than seeing me eat only a starter or only dessert for my meal. Only times I don't brush my teeth were when I used to go out on long walks and eat lunch outside.

How exactly did you accidently ingest corn syrup?!
07-13-2015, 04:52 AM   #51
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
My cousin and I got coffees, mine was plain, his was some chocolate chip flavored thing. We were fishing and I reached down and grabbed the wrong one to take my tyrosine / 5-htp powder. Because of the salty / bitter flavor of the powder I couldn't tell I was drinking the wrong coffee and had a few mouthfulls before i realized.

Then next morning wasn't so good, but normally HFCS ingestion would have ruined my day.

Tomorrow is day 5 of consistent dosing on my amino acid therapy, if my mood isn't stabilized I'm going to do a 'pill stop' which will help me determine if my dose is low or high, and most likely go back to the dose where I felt mentally best at and stay there for 5 days and see what happens.

My first appointment with my GI since 2013 is next month. I'm going to get some bloodwork and urine testing done to check my vitamin levels and make sure I'm not hurting my kidneys with supplements.

I'm going to look into a colonoscopy if I can afford it to check how things are.

Last edited by InstantCoffee; 07-14-2015 at 04:45 PM.
07-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #52
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I've been reading Dr Stein's blog stuff and he says that anxiety is a result of low tyrosine rather than high.
Though tyrosine produces catecholamines like adrenaline which would normally result in these feelings, when you're deficient compared to serotonin it causes melanin steal which results in feelings of anxiety.

I did a brief pill stop, I felt less depressed but the anxiety was creeping in so I think I have low tyrosine. I'm going to start at 1600 - 150mg 2x a day again and gradually add tyrosine until the anxiety stops.

I need to do some more research on the involvement of D-mucuna and l-cysteine in his process. It seems they make things much more complex due to the interactions of cross inhibition.

All I know is that 1600-150 seems SO CLOSE to a good balance.

He suggests for Crohn's a Dopamine trial which is a certain dosing of each for 5 days and depending on how you react will point you in the right direction of the dosing you need. It's a LOT of l-dopa to take though, I'm debating on if I just take what's close to working and run with it, or start over with a guided approach.

Interestingly, he suggests the Dopamine trial for crohn's (to determine whether you need seratonin or dopamine therapy) which is a high intake of D-mucuna and low intake of cofactors.

He then says NOT to do it for a set of other personality disorders because they will most likely have an adverse reaction to the L-Dopa, this includes anxiety, depression and social anxiety, all of which I've dealt with to some extent, especially depression.

I've noticed the recent depression and brain fog started with the d-mucuna.

Yesterday I took my first dose at lunch time of 1500 tyrosine, 150 5-htp, when I got home I took d-mucuna and things got a little weird, then I felt like I was having an anxiety attack, I took additional tyrosine and cysteine and balanced it out a bit but then I had diarrhea (not sure if it was from what I ate, it should have been 100% safe food, just tilapia, in safflower oil with garlic and parsley flakes) and couldn't sleep until 2am.

I'm starting to think I'm seratonin dominant and need to follow the seratonin dominant protocol which involves no D-mucuna, just aminos in a specific dose timing.

I'm going to go below the recommended dose since I seem to respond well to lower amounts.

He's giving 6000 mg tyrosine 600 mg 5-htp at 8am and 4pm (+ cofactors in cysreplete pills)

Then he's giving 3000 mg l-cysteine at noon, 4 and 8pm.

I'm looking at 2400mg tyrosine 150mg 5-htp and I'll lower the l-cysteine respectively to about half at the same time scheduling and see what happens.

I may need to look into an independent source of B6, selenium and folate as the additional pills he gives contain large amounts. B6 is very important for providing fuel for the enzymatic reactions caused by this therapy, and it's only toxic in doses of 1000mg+ taken daily for over a year by a healthy individual. Those using a therapy like this need it for proper response.

I did a fast today to clear my system... also because I ran out of food.

I prepped probiotics in a solution of pom juice and let it sit out through the day and drank it with my oil mix when I got home and I'm chasing it with a calorie shake.

I may try to get back on IF if I can get to 130 I'd really like to try a 48 hour fast.

Last edited by InstantCoffee; 07-16-2015 at 04:22 PM.
07-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #53
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I haven't updated this in a while.

I cut my intake back to 3 scoops tyrosine 3 scoops 5-htp in the morning, 2 scoops tyrosine 4 scoops 5-htp at night which is roughly 1500/150 and 1000 / 400.

My mental state has been more stable and less depressed than it was on high dose. I've cut the L-Dopa out entirely.

I've decided to experiment with a low glycemic index diet. It makes the most sense in what I've seen with sugar intake effecting symptoms of crohn's and hidradenitis.

I'm going to have to look at a way to replace oats as my primary source of carbs. I'm switching to Stevia as a sweetener, no more honey. No more chocolates or sugars.

I may have to cast aside my worries about meat and protease for a time - after all I saw my greatest improvements on a high protein, high fat diet.

I'll continue to use fiber supplements to feed my gut bacteria. I've taken as many as 4+ scoops a day with no adverse reaction.

I don't seem to be tolerating tomatoes well. Unfortunate because they are such a good addition to lots of meals.

Luckily strawberries are low GI, so a good source for a sweet fix.

I've been doing intermittent fasting with fiber powder supplement to maintain gut bacteria. I take aloe vera throughout the day to increase apoptosis with colloidal silver.

I've been trying ginkgo biloba extract for my hydradenitis incase it may be related to MRSA as I've heard it fights MRSA. So far both oral and topical application on my jaw lesion has not helped, also using DMSO + colloidal silver topically. Has helped my jaw, but a new infection that formed on my ear lobe went away with it. Either it was a different source, or being new and smaller made it more susceptible to treatment.
08-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #54
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Greetings friends and followers.

Updates / changes from last post:

I have not been able to successfully implement a low GI diet -yet- as I don't know the GI of the mac and cheese I've been relying on for quick meals these past few weeks.

I've relaxed on my intermittent fasting however. I haven't taken my Ginkgo as I should be.

I'm now experimenting with low amounts of borax in water. While this may sound shocking to most, research suggests it's about HALF the toxicity of table salt per volume. A pinch in a liter of water is not dangerous, however may have flouride detoxifying properties as well as anti-mycobacterial.

I've stopped using DMSO after learning that it can promote cell apoptosis in the retinas.

I've been trying to take fulvic acid but it needs to be taken in chlorine-free water in a glass container which means I needs to do it after work and I often forget!

I've been following some of Ted's remedies on earthclinic which includes borax, baking soda, humic/fulvic acid.

Overall, my bowel movements have gone from diarrhea to a controllable semi-constipated state. I haven't seen bile in my BMs or an upset except when I experimented with coffee shop coffee the other night.

Whole bean coffees started giving me problems a few months ago, and now I'm drinking ones in my cabinet that I had set aside because they gave me issues and experiencing no reaction.

That's not to say I feel like I'm cured or in remission. I'm still struggling with weight gain, and I've recently felt a loss of appetite. There's no feeling of aversion to any of the food I'm eating, just a feeling of not wanting to eat.

I found out I can have sunflower butter and have been snacking on sunbutter crunch bars by Enjoy Life brand, really blew my mind that they didn't make me sick. 1 out of thousands of processed foods that doesn't.

Update on researches:
Several studies note zinc deficiencies are common in Crohn's Disease. A study of 54 Crohn's Disease patients found significant deficiencies in serum zinc, vitamin A, and retinol binding protein levels compared to healthy controls. Zinc levels decreased in accordance with disease activity, patients with active disease having significantly lower levels than those with inactive disease. Zinc deficiency is associated with impaired metabolism of retinol binding protein, resulting in a vitamin A deficiency.185

Other researchers have corroborated the tendency of zinc deficiency to parallel disease activity in Crohn's Disease. A small study compared five patients with active Crohn's Disease to five patients with inactive disease and found serum zinc levels significantly lower in those with active disease. Furthermore, low zinc levels seemed to be due to increased body clearance, rather than malabsorption. Reasons for the increased zinc clearance were not pursued.186

Another study found serum zinc levels deficient (defined as 75 mcg/dL) in 17 of 50 Crohn's Disease patients (34%). Low zinc levels were associated with an increased tendency toward fistula formation, with 65 percent (11/17) of Crohn's Disease patients with low zinc levels experiencing fistula formation. 187 Thus, both low zinc and vitamin C levels have been implicated in a tendency toward fistula formation in Crohn's Disease patients.

Colonic mucosal biopsies of tissue from Crohn's Disease patients found abnormally low levels of zinc from uninflamed but not from inflamed tissue.188 Increased levels in involved tissue may be due to the need for more zinc as a co-factor for superoxide dismutase.

- See more at: http://www.crohns.net/miva/education....zfv3RrSZ.dpuf
What I'm especially interested in is that our zinc deficiency tends to be an over-excreation rather than under-absorption. I hope there's answers to this out there!

I was reading about a guy using high doses of zinc to treat his crohn's. It may not have been crohn's as zinc deficiency is similar to crohn's in symptoms.

Many of us are exposed to large amounts of copper through our environment and diet, which worsens zinc depletion.

Getting your zinc / copper levels tested may be useful.

All of our minerals for in antagonist/agonistic relationships, usually in pairs.

Potassium / sodium.
Calcium / magnesium.
Zinc / copper.

It's important to know your levels of both before supplementing one. If you're deficient in zinc and only get tested for zinc and have an undiagnosed copper deficiency, supplementing zinc without copper will make you worse.
08-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #55
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Rice products no longer cause a reaction. This is kind of a big deal.

I've been experimenting slowly, first the mac and cheese, then sunbutter crunch bars, then some gluten free fig newton knock-off brand. I tried white rice on sunday with no reaction.

Some part of my shotgun approach must be working.
08-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #56
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Narrowing it down:

I reduced some of the therapies to see what would happen and saw a return of symptoms.

The following are those I left out:
-fulvic acid
-borax
-baking soda
-butyric acid supplement
-fulvic acid in distilled water

Baking soda I've experimented with in the past to no great benefit so I think I can cross that off. One of the above has resulted in a decrease in flatulence, cramping and bowel movement frequency as well as an increase in dietary tolerance and weight.

I've decided to give homeopathy a shot, I've gotten in touch with a free doctor online who's told me to try Tuberculumin after reviewing my case. Interesting that it's made with dilluted extract from tuberculosis tissues with the prevailing belief that MAP, a tuberculosis species, causes Crohn's.

I can't see what the doctor has to gain from doing their homework, if homeopathy is placebo as others say, there's no risk, but also no reason to prescribe any specific solution unless they assume I'll research it. If it's placebo they could just throw anything at me in hopes it works.

Also interesting this particular homeopathic remedy requires a prescription in the US. They cannot both have 'risks' and be sugar pills. The FDA really needs to get off their ass on this one.

Hopefully it's not intercepted by customs.
08-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #57
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I'm still thinking Crohn's is likely, but mine has presented 'weird' enough to cause my doctor to call the diagnosis into question.

I returned to him after 2 years for a checkup, told him I'm doing well, on no medications, and it responds mostly to dietary changes. He seemed a bit shocked, looked over my history, and said there were no clear cut indicators of Crohn's that he could see.

Interesting things about dx and history:

Previous to 2003 I had no symptoms except occasional heartburn at a young age after eating sweets. Late 2003 I was eating a bag of chips and some french onion dip and started feeling weird. It continued to get worse and I presented with nausea, vomiting, and discomfort in the pit of my stomach that persisted for weeks.

Doctors initially treated with antibiotics, which did nothing, and antacids, which helped to an extent.

I was recommended to a specialist in summer of 2004, but during that time lost significant weight and had to be hospitalized. I was vomiting green fluids, but rarely had any lower GI symptoms.

I was put on remicade and probably prednizone but I can't recall specifically, my symptoms improved and I spent the next 3 years symptom free until college, I think around 2008-9.

I began having frequent diarrhea and presented with chronic abscesses. Mostly on my butt cheeks (but not really localized to the preianal region), once on my testes and 3 on my pubic area. Doctors checked for fistulas but didn't believe it was caused by them. I had one fistula in the past but it had since closed.

Once out of college my symptoms continued to deteriorate, I was switched onto Humira and saw no improvement on Humira + prednizone. Abscesses continued to form. I began having severe diarrhea, cramping stabbing pain, slowed motility, vomiting, and heartburn.

I cut out a bunch of food from my diet gradually including gluten, potatoes, canola oil and high fructose corn syrup and with each one a symptom went away.

My gastric ulcers and inflammation of the gastric sphincter went away despite the fact I had been off medications for several months pending treatment of an infected abscess.

Reviewing my patient log my doctor said diagnosis was made with thickening of the ileum with non-specific inflammation atypical of Crohn's disease.

Most other crohn's therapies like Imuran didn't have an effect on me. Supplements that often help Crohn's patients like L-glutamine, boswellia, pau d'arco, cat's claw, etc. never helped. Unlike most Crohn's patients I can drink all the milk I want, and coffee seems to make me feel better rather than worse. My reactions to some food were within 10-15 minutes of eating it which seems too fast for Crohn's.

So is my Crohn's just weird, or is there anything that's like Crohn's but not?
08-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #58
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
My reactions to some food were within 10-15 minutes of eating it which seems too fast for Crohn's.
Could be (most probably) intestinal peristalsis. It can cause abdominal pain and urgency for some crohn's patients (including me if my disease isn't controlled).
Could be upper GI inflammation (?).
08-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #59
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Could be (most probably) intestinal peristalsis. It can cause abdominal pain and urgency for some crohn's patients (including me if my disease isn't controlled).
Could be upper GI inflammation (?).
At the time trigger foods caused upper inflammation but it went away (according to scopes) after I went gluten free.

I had gastric ulcers and inflammation of the gastric sphincter and both were gone / diminished on my follow up scope. What really pissed me off was when the doctor's head nurse practitioner / assistant (not sure what her official title was) told me it was 'too severe to be explained by food' yet here we are.

I've gained 7 lb.s this week and I have no idea how. This is crazy.

I cut coffee and had extreme fatigue, feels like chronic fatigue syndrome or something idk. I've been napping on lunch breaks and tired the whole day.

I tried a new homeopathic medicine Wednesday and cut out all other supplements.

I don't believe the homeopathic medicine is the cause of the weight gain but idk.

As of Saturday I introduce some new supplements. I bought more saccromyaces to give it another try to see if it would help with gas, so far it hasnt'.

I bought Thymus gland extract. I read about the Thymus and Thymus extract in helping with Tuberculosis. Since Crohn's is linked to MAP, a cousin disease to TB, I decided to look up TB therapies.

The Thymus glad starts to shrink around puberty, when Crohn's typically presents. It's responsible for immune behavior. Very strong links going on there.
08-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #60
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
S. boulardii produces extra gas for me and many people. But it helps my condition.

I've used thyme oil regularly for 2 weeks. It caused my worst flare. For some people it helps, for others it can make their disease worse.

As for thymus gland and thyme products and its MAP inhibition... I've created some topics in HealingWell forum. I guess I've created some here as well. In HW forum there are good topics about this. Look for the Old Mike's and Canada Mark's topics and xy123 's topics by using search button. Thymus gland was a recent topic in there created by Old Mike. LOTS of thyme / oregano oil topics in there...

I'd say, be careful with thyme products. Start slow and be cautious.

----

Take a look at this thread I've created 4 days ago. What shocked me most is the study saying people taking Saccharomyces Boulardii has more SCFA (butyrate especially) in their feces. It could be that s. boulardii may be helping butyrate producing bacteria to more easily colonize and live in the colon.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=73817

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » InstantCoffee Log, rather than bloat the weight gain thread.