Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?

06-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #751
Kit

Thank you so much for your posts everyone! Just to let you know stress for (good or bad) increases my fatigue and all over pain especially headaches. I was a Physical Therapist Assistant only working 4 hours a day with an hour break. Fatigue and brain fog and I just couldn't keep up. I finally had to leave work. Much better now, so when I have really bad fatigue days I can rest and stay home. Changes in weather seem to really effect my fatigue/symptoms as well. Thank God for a loving and supportive husband!!
06-24-2015, 10:43 PM   #752
hvacman

I'm a residential HVAC service tech. I'm on the road all day but pretty much work my own schedule.. So if I'm not feeling too good can hit a bathroom before going to a customers. Luckily I haven't had it bad enough to where I couldn't work..
06-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #753
CrohnieCo

My Support Groups:
I work as an IT Executive; an office based job. I suffer from perianal Crohn's disease, so sitting for long periods can be quite painful, however I managed to get hold of a special foam cushion designed for people with Coccyx injuries and that seems to be helping me a lot. I can now sit for much longer periods and get all of my work done. Luckily the role is quite varied and I will usually be around the office doing various IT related tasks, which lets me air my affected area a bit, although standing for too long means I'll be needing a quick toilet break. Swings and roundabouts so they say.

You can read my story on my blog, along with regular updates giving back knowledge that I have learnt.
06-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #754
palapu

I work as Project Manager within a Financial Services Organisation.
06-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #755
nkrrrz

I teach high school. Up until last august, I did fine but since then it has been downhill. I worry about being able to keep it up
06-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #756
Elektrikhd

My Support Groups:
I'm quitting my teaching job. I know there are some people who have been able to manage Crohn's and teaching, but I can't do it anymore.

depression 2000, migraines 2012, glaucoma 2014

Humira (40mg/week)
Asacol (800mg 3x/day)
Prednisone when flaring
assorted supplements

Topamax (migraine)
Sumatriptan/Sumaval (as needed, migraine)
Latanaprost (glaucoma)
Viibryd (depression)
06-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #757
nkrrrz

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been teaching? And what do you think you will do after quitting? I've been wondering what I would do, figuring I would need a job that would allow me to access a restroom at all times.

I'm quitting my teaching job. I know there are some people who have been able to manage Crohn's and teaching, but I can't do it anymore.
06-30-2015, 10:53 PM   #758
Ann Morgan
I work in administration. I have a lot of responsibility, work long hours and have to meet multiple deadlines. When I'm feeling well, I enjoy the challenge and do a great job. When I'm having a flare up, the fatigue makes it much harder the keep all the balls in the air. I make errors I normally wouldn't and then I feel depressed about it. like I've lost my skill level.
I've been wondering about changing careers to something simpler. It's hard to let go but it might be better for me in the long run.

Can anyone else identify with the loss of ability, skills etc ?
My loss of ability and skills unfortunately came from my mental health issues.
I had a demanding job too and had to multi-task and problem solve.
I got let go from my job of 24 years in 2009 due to "workforce reduction".
It was a rewarding career with good pay. I am now collecting SSD benefits. Even doing volunteer work was too much for me, physically and mentally.
Thanks for listening.
07-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #759
Elektrikhd

My Support Groups:
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been teaching? And what do you think you will do after quitting? I've been wondering what I would do, figuring I would need a job that would allow me to access a restroom at all times.
I've taught for 9 years (elementary music). I was close to quitting last year, but didn't come up with anything last summer, so figured I'd try to push on for another year, hoping it wouldn't be so bad, and instead it was worse. So I'm applying for disability, and in case that doesn't work out, I'm looking at some sort of "office" work. Bathroom access is a big thing for me, too--I had accidents at work a few times this year (I was wearing disposable underwear at least) waiting either for someone to come watch the class for me or thinking I could make it until the end of a class period. I would need something lower stress, hopefully a little closer to home, and hopefully with somewhat more flexible hours. Less demanding of me, and where I'm less essential. I'm not sure I can really handle a normal job full-time anymore. I have migraines and depression as well, so that further complicates things for me.
07-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #760
mandark

i'm a web-application developer.
07-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #761
Sharkgirl

My Support Groups:
I'm an Office Manager at a custom sports apparel decorating company, specifically at the south Texas warehouse. I do all things HR - recruiting, interviewing, hiring, firing, disciplinary action, safety, and oversee the imports to our plant in Reynosa, Mexico. It is very fast paced and the stress level can be extremely high, but I love my job and my employer has been very supportive of my situation. Thankfully I have FMLA for when I need to stay at home sick, and on occasion I am able to work from home. Everyone at work already knows that when I am in the bathroom for long periods of time that I am flaring, and I don't feel embarrassed or ashamed when that happens.
07-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #762
GABoy

My Support Groups:
I'm an attorney. It seems every time o get on a roll trying cases, something happens. I'm supposed to start a trial tomorrow, but I'm in excruciating pain today and doc wants a CT.

Surgeries:
Abscess Drainage 10/2013
Seton Placement 11/2013
Abscess Drainage + Seton Placement 4/22/2015
Abscess Drainage 10/28/2015
Seton placement 2/11/2016
Abscess Drainage 2/26/2016
Mucosal Advancement Flap 8/12/2016

Prior Medications:
Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone, Humira, Entyvio

Current Medications:
Remicaid 6MP and Allopurinol
07-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #763
TommyBones

My Support Groups:
Hi all,
I work at a water treatment facility, taking the muddy Mississippi & making it drinkable. I've worked around lime dust, carbon dust, chlorine, phosphate dust, aluminum dust, etc going on 9 years. Could this have caused my Crohns.. Not gonna dwell on it at this point. It allows me to pay the medical bills, plus I work alone, so the uncomfortable waddle to the loo isn't an issue for me, thankfully. But taking sick time means someone has to work 16 hours so I try to stay strong on my sickest days & tough it out, but sometimes we all just need a day in bed.. Things could always be worse so I'm just fortunate I can still work for the time being.
Cheers and good luck to you all.
07-16-2015, 03:36 AM   #764
Sophos

My Support Groups:
Just wanted to post an update-
I'm no longer a funeral director anymore (but still licensed!). I was making myself sick with the long hours at work, among many other things. I've decided to go back to College this fall and get a diploma in Business Finance. Although I've never been an office job type of person, my body will thank me for it. My passion for funeral services is still there, but I've told myself I can always work as an embalmer at a local funeral home on the weekends! Although this wasn't the original path I wanted for my life, I'm still excited for it and looking forward to where it may take me.
07-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #765
Petra

I'm new to the forum. I haven't read all the posts on this thread yet as it's quite long.
I am impressed with all of those that can hold a job down.
What jumped out for me was that understanding employers seem to be key most of the time.
Some of you are self employed and some work from home or for family members, which all makes live a bit easier.
The severity of the symptoms of course dictates if you can or can't work.
Someone said that it's easier in the UK to get out of work as the government considers Crohn's to be a disability, therefore sufferers can get housing and living costs paid for.
It's a bit more complex than that actually, and living on disability isn't something you choose if you don't really have to. If people think you can live like a King on those handouts might want to try it for a while. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you judge anyone.

I'm a psychotherapist. Worked from home in the past. Self employed.
Running away in the middle of a session because needing the loo isn't very conductive for the therapeutic process of a client. Nor is cancelling their appointment at the last minute.
They are wrapped up in their own problems, they don't need to be confronted by mine.

I'm never bored being at home. I have many interest, plus a family to care for. My husband has always been the main breadwinner, so it's never been an issue if I could work or not.
07-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #766
Sar

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone,
I'm also new to this forum. I always wanted to work in the medical field and I did manage to complete my nursing degree despite my symptoms. Thankfully I had very understanding profs and lots of support from special needs. However, I realised throughout my placements in school that it would be unrealistic to do shift work with Crohn's. There were far too many times I had to leave in the middle of a dressing change on a client to run to the bathroom... not good! So I made the decision to work in a community clinic doing psychiatric and rehabilitation nursing. It's a Mon-Fri 8-4 job and my coworkers and boss are so understanding. However, I've just entered a bad flare with my Crohn's plus I'm experiencing a lot of pain and fatigue. I've just made the decision to go on sickness EI and eventually get on my long-term benefits through work. I'm trying to work part-time hours but I'm having trouble even doing 3 hours/day. I may have to just bit the bullet and take the time off completely to let myself heal. Hopefully once this settles I can get back to it because I love my job!
07-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #767
Madhu

My Support Groups:
Hi all,

I am fairly new here too. My husband is the one with Crohn's and he is an IT professional. Diagnosed in Feb 2015, he went to work until end of May. But he had a flare up after that and has been working from home ever since. Luckily his boss has been extremely supportive so far (Fingers crossed), his organization usually doesn't do this kind of stuff much. I don't go to work (very thankful for it now since we are on our own and I am the only one to take care of him). Just waiting for him to get into remission soon Hope you all feel better soon too

Mild flare in Mar 2017. Remicade schedule adjusted

Current Meds - Remicade 10mg/kg
07-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #768
Fhmms14

I am newly hired registered nurse , I was working in OR then I transfer to OPD after discovering my diagnosed,
07-24-2015, 04:24 AM   #769
Eggz

Hi all,

I am fairly new here too. My husband is the one with Crohn's and he is an IT professional. Diagnosed in Feb 2015, he went to work until end of May. But he had a flare up after that and has been working from home ever since. Luckily his boss has been extremely supportive so far (Fingers crossed), his organization usually doesn't do this kind of stuff much. I don't go to work (very thankful for it now since we are on our own and I am the only one to take care of him). Just waiting for him to get into remission soon Hope you all feel better soon too
Also in IT (Network Admin). Diagnosed in May. My last day with one company was a Friday, and the following Monday was my first with my current company. That weekend I got slammed w/ abdominal pain and wound up in the ER where I was diagnosed initially. Talk about awful timing.

Being still pretty new at my current employer I'm a little nervous to ask for the ability to work from home, but some days it would really be useful. Fortunately it's not usually stressful work, just time consuming and unpredictable. I'll have some international travel coming up soon, which will be interesting. But hey, one day at a time, right?
07-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #770
Madhu

My Support Groups:
Also in IT (Network Admin). Diagnosed in May. My last day with one company was a Friday, and the following Monday was my first with my current company. That weekend I got slammed w/ abdominal pain and wound up in the ER where I was diagnosed initially. Talk about awful timing.

Being still pretty new at my current employer I'm a little nervous to ask for the ability to work from home, but some days it would really be useful. Fortunately it's not usually stressful work, just time consuming and unpredictable. I'll have some international travel coming up soon, which will be interesting. But hey, one day at a time, right?
Wow, timing's really bad. But look at all the positive sides of it. Not much stress, that's huge And if you have to travel, I would suggest you get it cleared with your GI first, because when my husband asked if he could travel to India for a month, he said he needs to be in remission first and then we would talk about travel. If you're cleared to travel, have a great time
07-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #771
Dan1970

I am Technical Project Manager in Software Development. Generally its OK unless I get caught in long meetings. I used to be hesitant to talk about my Crohn's but with the frequency that I have to dash out of meetings, I really don't have a choice but to inform folks of the problem. People understand and I am otherwise good at my job. I've been having a really rough patch for the last couple of months and the support, or at least patience, that I have been getting from my team has really impressed me.
08-28-2015, 04:10 AM   #772
Ladybugsgg

I work as a waitress in a busy premium restaurant and i've had to take a month off because it's just becoming impossible for to do the work required.
Need a desk job so badly-
09-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #773
Rev-Rog

My main job is as a minister of religion, with a Bachelor of Ministries degree. Been at the same church for the last 16 years (www.TeAtatuBaptist.com). Before this I was a hydraulic engineer for 18 years. I now also do engineering as a part time business in my large home garage. (ok, I'm actually a gun-smith - www.Sub-SilentSuppressors.com). Great thing is that both jobs give me a lot of flexibility and I work from home. When in a flare, I can be in over-whelming pain for days - and weeks on end, and have D up to 15 times a day, so I am privileged having these two jobs, but it is also hard as many days I hardly have the energy to get out of bed :0)
Epilespy (2015) Hate epilspsy drugs, so try to stay free
OCPD/BPD - Quetiapine/Amitriptyline 150mg p/d
Undiagnosed IBD that only responds to Prednisone, with ongoing dx for safer steriods/meds

Last edited by Rev-Rog; 09-08-2015 at 09:42 PM.
09-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #774
Carrie

My Support Groups:
Right now, I intern as a web designer & developer. I love the field, and once I have some more experience, I would like to discuss possibly working from home with my current employer, or just going freelance and doing my own thing. I have learned from this internship that hour-long commutes are not for me, but I love this field!
09-24-2015, 05:31 AM   #775
Jack85

I'm staring a new job at then end of the month working from home with Apple. Being very recently diognosed with Crohn's disease I think it may be a blessing in disguise
09-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #776
MDB

My Support Groups:
I am a Registered Landscape Architect.

There is nothing you cant accomplish in life even when having to handle the enormous peaks and valleys of Crohns.

To all of you walking in these shoes.........
It is amazing that we were able to get to where we are all the while doing it with a very difficult illness that is really just getting noticed publicly.

I have lost jobs after both of my major surgeries....in the end you have to realize you don't want to work for a boss that cant at least try to understand.
There are people who will and do understand and we should all be lucky enough to work for these folks. Jobs can be stressful and often lead to flare ups. The trick is to work on basic behavior modification to learn a good way to deal with everyday stresses and always give yourself a break. I am totally a type A person and had to find a way to be less intense............Therapy helps......Stop and smell the roses......Literally......
Stay Strong!
10-27-2015, 06:32 AM   #777
joss8

My Support Groups:
I'm a System Support Analyst for a National Mapping Agency.

As a few people have mentioned having a desk job is really helpful, and my employers offer flexible working hours and are very understanding. It makes life much easier, but also makes it impossible to leave cos i'm unlikely to get as lucky any where else.

I started to get ill just as i finished University and started my new job. I had loads of time off in my probation period but received good support. I've found trying to be open with people without going into too much unpleasant detail has really helped
10-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #778
Magzilla

I think I have one of the worst jobs for someone who has Crohn's/UC - I am a Surgical Tech - this means I not only know quite a bit about the 'guts' but, I also am very 'intimate' with the procedures that I could be in for! UGH!! LOL
The worst part is that I specialized in Orthopedics but that meant I could be in surgery for anywheres from an hour to 4 hours at a time Not good when you never know when 'it' will hit you. I can't just excuse myself from the room.
I have now cut back to a couple days a month & now work for a private Ophthalmologist doing Lasik surgery - which only takes about 20 mins so that helps but now I'm having more problems from my RA & ankylosing spondylitis than the Crohn's on most days.
After being stubborn & putting it off, I am finally applying for disability I hate not working!!
10-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #779
-Rita-

My Support Groups:
I'm currently an 11th grader and I plan on taking Asian Studies in college. My dream is to become a successful writer! At the moment, I'm a newbie writer and I write on my free time as a hobby. All my family supports this idea, especially my mother because she always told me I have a "gift" for writing. Although my grades aren't the best at the moment, I'm doing my best to fulfill this dream and maybe provide you all a new book in your private libraries, hahah~!

Imuran - two pills a day. One after lunch and one before going to sleep.

Medicine I used to take:
Flagyl - one pill a day every morning.

Esomeprazole - one pill every morning. This is a stomach protector I take every morning before eating.

Prednisolone
- one pill a day but this one is slowly being cut.

Dagravit - one pill a day before or after meals. This is calcium because of the Prednisolone side effects on my bones and the fact I'm lactose intolerant.
11-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #780
cnt

My Support Groups:
I did graphics for NBC/MSNBC & CNBC. I loved my job. Unfortunately I am on permanent disability now. That's one of the biggest things that have crushed me in past 25+ years. Truly loved the job and the people I worked with.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?