Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Weight gain Support Group

07-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #241
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
thank you dear man!
07-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #242
Mr chicken

My Support Groups:
Have you tried avocados ? High in fat and nutritionally dense .
Nut butters as well either added to things or on your favorite type of bread ( gluten free if needed ) or add to smoothies ( pumpkin purée /nut butters /milk ( almond - cashew etc) plus ice and honey )
6 smaller meals - normal lunch plus cereal two hours later - so you don't have to process too much at once
Coconut or almond or cashew ice cream

Vsl#3ds iron Zantac folic acid

Aka MLP....
07-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #243
duh panda

My Support Groups:
I'm not sure if any of this has been touched on here yet, but I figured I'd contribute what I've found successful regarding weight management. My story/ diet experiences and experiments etc. can be found in a couple other places around the forum or my blog so I'm not going to bother here.

I did see information that I found very intriguing regarding the mental connection to eating and weight gain or loss while researching smoothies and juicing. Most think of smoothies, but especially juicing, as methods to encourage weight loss but I don't think this is accurate. They can be great sources for the micro-nutrients many of us may be deficient in.

What you choose to put into the juice or smoothie aside, the info I read essentially mentioned the effect liquid "meals" had on one's desire to eat. There are different types of hunger (Habit hunger · Mind hunger · Taste hunger · Stomach hunger · Body hunger) and illness, etc. effects one's hunger responses differently. For example, we may shut down/ block mind hunger due to pain (food aversion). While liquid meals can provide nutrition or calories a liquid meal does not satisfy the primal urge to eat (a potential issue for those trying to lose weight, as this can lead to over-consumption for that group). I think this could be turned around to be beneficial for those of us trying to gain. I gave up long ago trying to figure it all out and I don't have it all broken down, it's just a thought.

I wonder if it can be used to help rehabilitate and establish healthier eating habits and desire as I know I've developed some unhealthy, even obsessive approaches regarding eating let alone the concept of diet in the past.

Usually, I don't feel any desire to eat. But I tend to notice a desire and decrease in aversion after I've had 8-10 oz. of a smoothie regardless of how calorie dense I try to make it. I make sure I hit my consumption goals by setting alarm reminders for meals/ snacks and enlisting help on my especially crummy days when I may be experiencing less then my average "low" energy levels.

Dietary, I work to add fats to foods that are generally lacking in anything (1 tbsp. coconut oil in coffee or tea is my go to. The texture in tea did take some getting used to, but it's almost like creamer in coffee - bonus that it generally leads to me raiding the cupboards for a snack within 45 mins. without needing to be prompted by timers). Coconut oil has some interesting attributes regarding digestion and the digestive tract. I don't understand it so much, but it seems to help. At the very least, its extra calories I appear to tolerate well and despite being a fat I don't notice signs of fat-malformation in my bms.

Despite flaring terribly the past 2 years, showing new signs/ manifestations of disease, and struggling to hold/ prevent weight loss my mineral/ vitamin levels apart from B vitamins have consistently returned in the normal range 90% of the time.

I don't know why these things are, in the past my levels have been really low. I've been pretty disciplined with including a smoothie a day for the past year and utilizing coconut oil for 2 years. I feel these two aspects of my diet have been instilled as a long enough and consistent enough addition to attribute it to the weight management I've achieved and bouncing back from persistent infections (following the courses of appropriate treatment) keeping out of the hospital.

When not experiencing infections I have experienced steady weight gain of about 1 lb. every 2 weeks if I can maintain my macro-nutritional needs hitting 3000 calories/ day - I often fall short because this simply requires such a large amount of tolerated foods I find I struggle to keep up with the constant eating, preparation, and cooking (7-8 "meals" per day) unless it's my only focus day in and day out which isn't realistic or I think a smart pursuit.
07-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #244
jayann

UnXmas,

I like to google for ideas and came up with these two links for things to eat to gain weight.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/how-to-gain-weight

http://www.activebeat.com/diet-nutri...ain-weight/11/

You'll have to cut and paste into browser. I don't know why they didn't copy as links to click on.

I hope you can find something that will appeal to your appetite. I think the nut butters might be good if you can't eat insoluble fiber during a flare.

Cream cheese with honey makes a tasty dip for apple slices is you could eat them without the peels.

Good luck. Even if you're not hungry, try eating small amounts of things you like somewhat. Think of it as taking your medicine and see it as making you stronger and healthier. Good luck.
07-09-2015, 04:26 AM   #245
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Thank you, jayann. The trouble is I need more than a few mouthfuls, when I was in hospital and they were monitoring all my food I could eat 3000 calories a day and still lose some of the time.

The links work fine for me, I'm going to have a look now.
07-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #246
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
If anyone is looking at protein shakes, I just found "True Athlete" Natural, it comes in chocolate, vanilla and unflavored and I really like the ingredients list.

Unflavored:
Whey protein concentrate, soy lecithin, Bacillus coagulans, lactase digestive enzyme, papain, bromelain

100 calories 20g protein per serving, 24 servings, costs about $24 so $1/serving.

Chocolate:
Whey protein concentrate, cocoa powder(processed with alkali), natural flavors, inulin, xanthan gum, soy lecithin, salt, stevia extract, LactoSpore® L.sporogenes, lactase digestive enzyme, papain, bromelain.

A lot of companies are now offering 'natural' lines of protein including Isopure, Optimum Nutrition, and Pursuit Rx to name a few. Most of these appear to have crohn's-safe ingredients.

I would advise against Muscle Milk brand as it has a bad reputation for heavy metals.
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
07-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #247
kikig

My Support Groups:
Optimum Nutrition is my brand of choice actually, and I supplement with separate probiotics.

The vanilla flavour is pretty good, not too sweet. The banana flavour is alright too, although at times I find it a bit too "mediciney" flavour (I remember it was a trend for all liquid medicines to be banana flavoured at some point )

Regular Medication: Mixed diuretics, 1000mg Calcium, 10,000i.u VitD, 125 ug L-Thyroxin, IV iron and IV albumin, lowfat high protein diet

DLBCL aka Non Hodgkins Lymphoma - 2003 (RCHOP) and 2016 (RICE plus stem cell transplant)
07-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #248
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Regular ON except double rich chocolate and vanilla have sucralose which makes me sick and I'm not a big fan of the health implications of.

Most not naturally flavored proteins contain sucralose actually. A big problem for me.

The featured review also concluded that sucralose destroys gut bacteria. (In fact, animal research8 published in 2008 found it could kill as much as 50 percent of your microbiome.)

This is very important, as anytime you destroy healthy intestinal bacteria, you open yourself up to unfriendly micro-organisms that can cause health problems. Your immune system, which is imperative for general health, is dependent on healthy gut flora, so the idea that this artificial sweetener may destroy up to half of all your healthy gut bacteria is disconcerting to say the least.

Worse yet, sucralose appears to target beneficial microorganisms to a greater extent than pathogenic and other more detrimental bacteria. And remarkably, according to one study, these adverse effects on gut microbiota remained even after a three-month long recovery period...

Early studies, upon which its approval was based, claimed that sucralose would simply pass unchanged through the human gastrointestinal tract, but more recent investigations show that it is indeed metabolized in your gut. And, as reported in the featured review, "the identity and safety profile of these putative sucralose metabolites are not known at this time."
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...e-effects.aspx
07-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #249
kikig

My Support Groups:
Fair enough @instantcoffee and I am very fortunate not to have issues with sucralose.

I do prefer vanilla at any rate

I use ON casein in the evening, vanilla flavour too so I don't wake up at 3am starving and looking for poached eggs and toast
07-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #250
drewpalermo
Banned

My Support Groups:
The problem with nut butters is they're high in omega 6 fats (most of us are deficienct in omega 3s to balance them out), and they're also high in copper (depletes us of zinc), and the phytic acid debate.
07-12-2015, 04:10 AM   #251
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
The problem with nut butters is they're high in omega 6 fats (most of us are deficienct in omega 3s to balance them out), and they're also high in copper (depletes us of zinc), and the phytic acid debate.
When you're trying to gain weight, especially if high-fibre foods give you trouble, some of the "bad" fats in nut butter are probably worth it for the calories. And nut butters are much healthier than many high calorie foods.
07-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #252
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I lost some weight, a kilo since my doctor last weighed me in May. I've been gaining since I left hospital last September/October so she's letting me try and gain it back on my own first.
07-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #253
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
And I can't take anything with milk or milk products such as whey. And yes, sucralose is a no no for me also. So I think I am gaining a little weight, maybe 2 pounds in 2 months which is great. My dr thinks I will only gain 5 or 10 pounds overall; I will never weigh what I really like to.
09-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #254
tincho_lavie

My Support Groups:
Hello!

I have a question... I've been taking a Weight Gain Suplement for the last three months... I didn't read the Warnings in the package until now, and I found out it says
"Do not take this product if you have or are at risk for any medical condition or disease incluiding but not limited to diabetes [...] or are suffering from any inflammatory disease"
Do you guys know what could be the possible side effects? It has really helped me to gain some weight, I've been training for the last year, but three month after I started it got really hard for me to gain weight... I tried with a protein supplement but it didn't work, then I tried this weight gainer (Gain Fast, made by Universal Nutrition) and started gaining weight inmediatly (1kg per month aprox)

What do you think? Should I stop taking it?
09-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #255
duh panda

My Support Groups:
Hello!

I have a question... I've been taking a Weight Gain Suplement for the last three months... I didn't read the Warnings in the package until now, and I found out it says
"Do not take this product if you have or are at risk for any medical condition or disease incluiding but not limited to diabetes [...] or are suffering from any inflammatory disease"
Do you guys know what could be the possible side effects? It has really helped me to gain some weight, I've been training for the last year, but three month after I started it got really hard for me to gain weight... I tried with a protein supplement but it didn't work, then I tried this weight gainer (Gain Fast, made by Universal Nutrition) and started gaining weight inmediatly (1kg per month aprox)

What do you think? Should I stop taking it?
Looking at the ingredients list for Gain Fast gainer the only reason I can think it'd have such a disclaimer on it is due to the herbal additives which aren't generally FDA regulated/ studied and that gainers usually are high calorie/ high sugar which can be detrimental for some as it'd spike levels. Just a guess, but the reason for warning diabetes/ inflammatory diseased individuals could be due to med. interactions where spiked blood sugar could be a huge concern such as while taking high doses of prednisone or struggling with non-medicine induced diabetes. The warnings that many products come labeled with highly depends on the state in which it's sold. For example, the same product probably carries a birth defect warning label in Cali or New York due to stricter guidelines. I'd run it past your doc. see what their thoughts are (if any) just to be on the safe side.
09-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #256
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
segue
to Remicade please: I am on my 4th infusion which only worked 3 weeks and was suppose to last 8 weeks. I do well a couple days then a couple days of severe pain. I still take Budesonide. I have not gained ANY weight, maybe lost (I don't have a scale). Anyone else find Remicade not work? What options did the dr have or do? I live in fear every time I eat. Yes, I eat mostly very mild food: I base my diet on FODMAP but even limit much that is on it.

Last edited by Gail Jothen; 09-03-2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: misppelled word
09-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #257
duh panda

My Support Groups:
segue
to Remicade please: I am on my 4th infusion which only worked 3 weeks and was suppose to last 8 weeks. I do well a couple days then a couple days of severe pain. I still take Budesonide. I have not gained ANY weight, maybe lost (I don't have a scale). Anyone else find Remicade not work? What options did the dr have or do? I live in fear every time I eat. Yes, I eat mostly very mild food: I base my diet on FODMAP but even limit much that is on it.
I'm not familiar with Budenoside, but if it's a corticosteroid like Prednisone Corticosteroid's can effect the body's total body protein metabolism. Muscle loss/ atrophy can occur regardless of exercise, balanced diet, etc. Regardless of how my disease may improved on heavy hitters, if there's a moderate to high dose of corticosteroid's I won't gain weight. But that's not really what you asked..

It's always been my understanding the Remi is most likely to benefit a patient and for a patient to show longer response if it's paired with a maintenance med. to slow development of antibodies and losing response. Ask your GI about the possibilities of that. My GI has used azathoriprine, Methotrexate, 6-MP at various times in conjunction with biologics and steroids. Remi can also be infused as often as every 4 weeks and dose can be upped from the standard infusion dose if showing limited response and administering is tolerated. Similar to remicade but different in administration method and compounds are the biologics Humira and Cimzia.

Outside of biologics ask your doc. about Entyvio if it hasn't already been discussed. It works SLOW. Like 9 months+ to really kick in and seems the longer people are on it, if they show response, the better it gets including weight gain. There's also some cool stuff happening in the stem cell realm regarding Crohn's, I believe it's in trial's currently in the US, but there may still be some trials open and getting going.

There's a support thread for Remicade patients here on the forum. Check it out, might find others who have been in a similar position and found a solution.
09-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #258
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
duh panda, thank you so much for all this information which is all new to me. My dr has not mentioned any of this. I will print this out and show it to him. I am pretty desperate.
09-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #259
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sometimes Remi takes longer to work
Higher dose and shorter window between doses
Ds took 7.5 mg/kg every 6 weeks to get there
8 weeks at 5 mg/kg never happened since he got bad so fast .
When he started to get bad again while in humira /mtx
Gi added partial en crohns exclusive diet .
This has helped tremendously
Easier than een but as effective as Pred in refractory or hard to treat crohns
He also started to gain weight again.
Stalled weight gain is not a good thing for an 11.

Paper on the diet
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24983973/

Thread on the diet

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=71686

Goes through the do's and don't s

Good luck
09-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #260
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
my little penguin, thanks for the info. I can do nothing until I see my dr which is in 10 days and I am really suffering today, i can hardly stand it the pain is so bad. Ice packs no help. I am hardly eating anything. Diet sounds interesting....I am 70 years old, wonder if it helps older people.
09-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #261
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ask about a tens unit
Attaches and can help abdominal pain
Electric heating pad is my kids best friend
Warm buddies makes microwaveable blankets etc that help some
Formula only ( ensure boost peptamen etc..) without food can also help
Can you call your Gi Tuesday ?
Maybe they can get you something earlier
09-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #262
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
thanks, my little penguin. had not thought of a tens unit for my pain. I can't take any supplement with dairy which most have. Yes, I will phone my GI on Tuesday but I am even thinking of calling him tomorrow and tell him I am going to the emergency as I cannot endure this pain behind my belly button.
09-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #263
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
They could direct admit from ER to get you some relief
The mini hit packs they use for skiing also work well
It wasn't until Ds got on the diet that we saw relief though
This was after 6 months - 4 ER trips 2 inpatient stays a scope and mre plus multiple stool tests .

ER is always an option
You could call on call Gi tonight and see if they have suggestions
09-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #264
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
my GI is a solo practice and I really hate to call him on Sat. nite so will wait until tomorrow and see how I feel and if I feel as I do today I will tell him I'm going to the ER. I can't wait until my app. in 10 days. My GI did talk to me last week and said he needed to talk to me in person about the side effects of any med he would give me..and told me to wait until my app on Sept. 15...but now I feel I just can't wait that long. Thanks for your comforting response. I am not familiar with een diet, just use FODMAP, but obviously it is not enough.
09-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #265
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
EEN is formula only
No food
So you drink all ensure or boost etc
It's as effective as Pred in inducing remission in kids
Not sure on adults
The hard part no food
Since once you introduce food again the symypoms come back
Ds did een for 9 at dx ( age 7)
Just did two weeks of een this time around before adding the crohns exclusive diet

Good luck
09-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #266
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=43002

Link with tons of kids stuff
But papers on een
09-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #267
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
thanks my little penguin. I did go to the ER yesterday and they gave me demerol which stopped my pain, and 10 pills to take home until I see my dr on Friday for Remicade, I guess, I'm not sure what my dr will do. I am eating only liquid food, regular stuff that I liquify in my blender. I feel strange from the demerol but my tummy was fine today. I"l let you know what happens Friday! Thanks so much.
09-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #268
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
my little penguin, I looked at the website but could not figure out which one talks about een. Can you give me the title, please? Thank you!
09-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #269
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
EEN & NUTRITION RELATED ARTICLES:

*Nutrition in Paediatric IBD - Paper
http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/cli...ril%202012.pdf

*Use of Enteral Nutrition for the Control of Intestinal Inflammation in Pediatric Crohn Disease
http://www.naspghan.org/user-assets/....29%5B1%5D.pdf

*Enteral Nutrition in Paediatric Crohn's Disease - Slide Show
http://www.ibdcme.tv/library/ppts/EnteralNutrition.pdf

*Nutrition in Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease
http://mobileservices.texterity.com/...icle_id=166918

*Effect Of EEN On Gut Microflora Function In Children With Crohn's Disease
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23016828

*Treatment Of Active Crohn's Disease In Children Using Partial Enteral Nutrition With Liquid Formula: A Randomised Controlled Trial
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856067/

*Effectiveness Of Concomitant Enteral Nutrition Therapy And Infliximab For Maintenance Treatment Of Crohn's Disease In Adults.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=55580

*Physician Attitudes And Practices Of Enteral Nutrition As Primary Treatment Of Paediatric Crohn Disease In North America
http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Fulltex...Enteral.9.aspx

*Enteral Nutrition: The Neglected Primary Therapy of Active Crohn's Disease
http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Fulltex...Therapy.3.aspx

*Enteral Nutrition and Corticosteroids in the Treatment of Acute Crohn's Disease in Children
http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Fulltex..._in_the.5.aspx

*Definitions Of Different Types Of Enteral Formulas
http://www.thriverx.net/PDFs/Adult%2...20Formulas.pdf

*A Retrospective Study Showing Maintenance Treatment Options For Paediatric CD In The First Year Following Diagnosis After Induction Of remission With EEN: Supplemental Enteral Nutrition Is Better Than Nothing!
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-230X/14/50/abstract

*Enteral Nutrition in Crohn’s Disease: An Underused Therapy
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/grp/2013/482108/

*Enteral Nutrition as First-line Therapy in Treating Children and Adolescents with Crohn’s Disease
http://www.naspghan.org/files/docume...ewsltr_WEB.pdf
09-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #270
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This one covers een and adults
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=55580

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Weight gain Support Group