Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » List of all Past, Current and Future Treatments for IBD

05-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #31
xeridea

My Support Groups:
This is a great reference! I was wondering if the AMAT (anti map antibiotic therapy) could be added to your list. Maybe I missed it. I've tried a bunch of the meds listed, and nothing worked except AMAT. Also, LDN (low dose naltrexone) is another up and coming med that has some early validity.
RedHill's RHB-104 is listed for anti-MAP. I'll add what I know about LDN and it's mechanism of action.
07-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #32
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Celgene is upping its stake in the IBD market. They just announced a $7.2B offer to purchase Receptos of San Diego, CA. Receptos' candidate drug RPC1063 operates on same targets as Entivyo and is showing statistically significant clinical and mucousal improvements. The current trials are for UC but Phase II trials are being initiated for CD.

What's promising with this drug is orally administered and has very good safety profile based on Phase I/II/III trial results.
07-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #33
teeny5

My Support Groups:
Hi Xeridea I currently take Colazal (balsalazide) and previously have taken Azulfidine (sulfasalazine) both are 5-ASAs

Both are mentioned here:

http://health.usnews.com/health-cond...ease/treatment

Colazal - http://reference.medscape.com/drug/c...zide-342075#10

Azulfidine - http://reference.medscape.com/drug/a...zine-343280#10

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
07-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #34
xeridea

My Support Groups:
PTG-100
Protagonist Therapeutics
An orally administered α4β7 Integrin Specific Antagonist. This is the same target as Entivyo (Vedolizumab), but with the advantage that can be taken as a pill rather than via infusion. Currently in pre-clinical phase, with early trials scheduled for 2016.
07-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #35
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Hi Xeridea I currently take Colazal (balsalazide) and previously have taken Azulfidine (sulfasalazine) both are 5-ASAs

Both are mentioned here:

http://health.usnews.com/health-cond...ease/treatment

Colazal - http://reference.medscape.com/drug/c...zide-342075#10

Azulfidine - http://reference.medscape.com/drug/a...zine-343280#10
Thanks teeny, I have added these two under mesalamine in the master list.
07-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #36
xeridea

My Support Groups:
TxCell was granted Fast Track Designation by the FDA on their lead product Ovasave. This facilitates the review and approval process. Ovasave is an antigen specific autologous T regulatory somatic cell therapy in development for the treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease that is currently in phase IIb trials in Europe.

http://www.txcell.com/images/CP/2015...727_EN_def.pdf
07-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #37
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
Anyone able to get the results of their phase 2a trial? Can't seem to find it online
-Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
08-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #38
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Anyone able to get the results of their phase 2a trial? Can't seem to find it online
Here is an abstract of the Phase 1/II (a?) study. It was an open label study that looked at CDAI and CD16 monocyte reductions as response indication.
08-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #39
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
Galapagos Announces Last Patient Has Been Randomized in Crohn’s Disease Study With Filgotinib

http://ibdnewstoday.com/2015/08/07/g...dy-filgotinib/

The company is expecting to announce the study’s primary endpoint results after 10 weeks of treatment in December, and 20-week treatment results during the first trimester of 2016.
08-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #40
egaleeye

FMT (Fecal microbiota Transplants) wasn't on your list!
08-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #41
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Re: Refractory Perianal Fistulizing CD.

TiGenix announces achieving primary endpoint of their Phase III trial for treatment of complex perianal fistulas using a single injection of their Cx601 allogeneic expanded adipose-derived stem cells.

More than 50% of subjects achieved combined remission at week 24. A larger number of patients had their fistulas close by week 6. They report clinically significant results to patients refractory to all current therapies.

http://www.tigenix.com/en/download/?...bQTok7QA%3D%3D
08-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #42
xeridea

My Support Groups:
FMT (Fecal microbiota Transplants) wasn't on your list!
I'd gladly post any information you may have on this. Will you point me to any companies or trials that I can reference in the list?
08-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #43
MarkB

This is a great reference! I was wondering if the AMAT (anti map antibiotic therapy) could be added to your list. Maybe I missed it. I've tried a bunch of the meds listed, and nothing worked except AMAT. Also, LDN (low dose naltrexone) is another up and coming med that has some early validity.
Good point. Most of the treatments treat symptoms only. Anti-MAP treats the likely cause of many cases of Crohn's. There's a 16-minute educational video that provides a great job introduction to the topic.

Search for "Crohn's Controversy: Cause, Vaccine and Anti-MAP Therapy" on youtube.
08-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #44
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Good point. Most of the treatments treat symptoms only. Anti-MAP treats the likely cause of many cases of Crohn's. There's a 16-minute educational video that provides a great job introduction to the topic.

Search for "Crohn's Controversy: Causie, Vaccine and Anti-MAP Therapy" on youtube.
The list includes RHB-104 anti-MAP therapy currently in phase 3 trials. We should see data on trial results by next summer.

Like many others I hope research in this area proves out.
08-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #45
MarkB

Indeed! I would point out that there are numerous studies in the medical literature showing that the anti-MAP regimen developed by Dr. Thomas Borody has been successful in many Crohn's patients. These are not controlled clinical trials, but rather case studies. This is all explained well in the video I referenced. Based on all the reading I've done, I would tell a Crohn's sufferer who has tried everything else & still suffering, educate yourself on MAP now. There are ways to get on the anti-MAP regimen now, but it will take some research & legwork on your part. You probably won't get your gastroenterologist to prescribe it just yet (until the clinical trials are complete). But there are doctors out there who will work with you, and who will work with your gastroenterologist, and prescribe anti-MAP drugs. The case studies published to date are quite promising, and show considerable success in getting Crohn's into remission.

Last edited by MarkB; 08-28-2015 at 08:57 AM.
09-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #46
xeridea

My Support Groups:
S1P receptor modulators continue to make noise in the pharmasphere. Celgene's recent $7 Billion acquisition of Receptos, and yesterday, Biogen picked up worldwide rights to Mitsubishi Tanabe's MT-1303 in a multi-million dollar deal.

S1P modulation sounds like a gentler form of immunomodulation by the likes of AZA, 6MP and MTX, but seemingly, without some of the inherent increased risks of infections that those drugs bring.

Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor and its modulation

The oral sphingosine 1-phosphate (S1P) receptor (S1PR) modulator has been shown to be effective in the treatment of inflammatory conditions such as MS, UC and CD. The drug binds with high affinity to 4 of the 5 G-protein-coupled S1P receptors (S1P(1-5)). After binding, the receptors are internalized, degraded, and thus functionally antagonized. Under physiologic conditions, S1P(1) mediates the egress of lymphocytes from secondary lymphoid organs to the peripheral circulation. Functional antagonism of S1P(1) results in a reduction in peripheral lymphocyte counts by inhibiting egress of lymphocytes, including potentially encephalitogenic T cells and their naïve progenitors that would otherwise be present within the circulation. Despite the reduction of lymphocyte counts, patients with MS have been shown to have few infections and related complications and were able to mount antigen-specific immune responses in vaccination studies.

10-Sep-2015: Biogen just inked a deal for worldwide licensing rights to this drug from Mitsubishi Tanabe. It is looking at accelerating a current Phase II trial for Crohn's to Phase III.
09-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #47
MarkB

The group developing the Crohn's MAP vaccine has posted a nice summary of the literature on the anti-MAP therapy that has been used since the 1990s & is currently used by a small group of Crohn's experts. Lot of stuff there, including some papers from medical journals. I'd make sure you page all the way down to the Patient Information Leaflet on pages 61-63 of the file.

http://crohnsmapvaccine.com/pdfs/map...ck-low-res.pdf
09-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #48
recmlc

fyi
Attached Files
File Type: pdf future micro.pdf (1.35 MB, 14 views)
09-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #49
xeridea

My Support Groups:
The group developing the Crohn's MAP vaccine has posted a nice summary of the literature on the anti-MAP therapy that has been used since the 1990s & is currently used by a small group of Crohn's experts. Lot of stuff there, including some papers from medical journals. I'd make sure you page all the way down to the Patient Information Leaflet on pages 61-63 of the file.

http://crohnsmapvaccine.com/pdfs/map...ck-low-res.pdf
I have added CMV to the list.
09-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #50
MarkB

I have added CMV to the list.
Xeridea, Thank you for your maintenance of this excellent resource.

I suggest it may be worth adding info on the AMAT (anti-MAP microbial therapy). I know you have a link to the RedHill Biopharma clinical trial currently underway. But it's worth noting that some version of AMAT has been around for some time now, and is being practiced by a few physicians. These groups report greater success than some of the 'approved' drugs that are treating inflammation (rather than the likely underlying cause: MAP).

Of the studies in the the link that the CMV group posted, I'd start with 3rd page of the document -- the paper by Chamberlin, Borody & Campbell (Expert Rev. Clin. Immunol. 7(6), 751–760 (2011)). For AMAT, see especially the material starting on page 754 of that paper (or page 6 of the CMV group's big pdf file).
12-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #51
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Galapagos' Filgotinib meets phase 2 primary endpoint. This is a once daily 200mg JAK1 inhibitor intended for moderate to severe CD who are non-responsive or failed anti-TNF drugs. The preliminary results showed statistically significant reduction of CDAI scores, normalization of CRP levels, and no effect on liver based on tested parameters. It also has a relatively good safety profile also being tested for RA.
12-09-2015, 05:22 AM   #52
Forristicat

I never knew there were so many.
01-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #53
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Enterome recently entered into agreements with Takeda (Entivyo) and Janssen (Remicade) to develop/market a new Crohn's treatment, that I'm assuming is based on their FimH antagonist platform. This is targeting AIEC, but from a different angle than Qu. Here's a video that describes the platform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTeZZ7ydmfM
01-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #54
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Nestle expanding its footprint in the IBD microbiome space by investing $120 million in Seres for rights to their platform outside of North America. Seres is developing microbiome based therapies for C. Diff and IBD (CD/UC).
03-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #55
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Forum software doesn't let me edit the original post anymore, so here's an update on Xeljanz CD trials.

Summary:

The researchers concluded that clinical response or remission occurred in greater proportions of the treatment groups, but the results were not statistically significant.

For the induction phase:

Forty-three percent of the 10 mg group achieved clinical remission at week 8 — the primary endpoint — compared with 43.5% in the 5 mg group and 36.7% of the placebo group. However, researchers did not observe statistical significance in this comparison. Comparable results were observed in patients with and without previous TNFi exposure.

For the maintenance Phase:

In the maintenance trial, researchers randomly assigned 126 tofacitinib responders from the induction study 5 mg tofacitinib (n = 43), 10 mg tofacitinib (n = 43) or placebo (n = 42) twice daily for 26 weeks. In the 5 mg group, 39.5% achieved clinical response or remission, compared with 55.8% of the 10 mg group and 38.1% of the placebo group; however, although numerically higher in the 10 mg group, the results did not reach statistical significance. C-reactive protein and fecal calprotectin levels were significantly lower at week 26 for the 10 mg group (P < .0001) and fecal calprotectin was significantly lower for the 5 mg group vs. placebo (P < .05).

Tofacitinib (Xeljanz)
Class: JAK Inhibitor
Stage: Approved for RA in trials for CD

It is an inhibitor of the enzyme janus kinase 3 (JAK3), which means that it interferes with the JAK-STAT signaling pathway, which transmits extracellular information into the cell nucleus, influencing DNA transcription. Recently it has been shown in a murine model of established arthritis that tofacitinib rapidly improved disease by inhibiting the production of inflammatory mediators and suppressing STAT1-dependent genes in joint tissue. This efficacy in this disease model correlated with the inhibition of both JAK1 and 3 signaling pathways, suggesting that tofacitinib may exert therapeutic benefit via pathways that are not exclusive to inhibition of JAK3.
03-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #56
FrozenGirl

My Support Groups:
Thanks for update. Interesting numbers, I do wonder why the placebo rate was so high. Further studies might be interesting to see if a statistically significant benefits comes out.
03-28-2016, 03:35 AM   #57
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
Just came across this thread, thank you so much for the summary and research! That looks very promising what is on the way! :-)

Stelara; Uceris; Lansoprazole; Domperidone.

Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Azathioprine, Methotrexate, Sulfasalazine, Entocort, Uceris, Prednisolone, TPN, EEN, different alternative treatments.
04-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #58
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Enterome is gaining more traction on the AIEC (Adherent Invasive E. Coli) front by securing an exclusive worldwide license of Vertex Pharmaceuticals small molecule FimH antagonists. FimH is a cell surface adhesion protein that allows the pathogenic E. Coli to stick to the gut wall and penetrate it, which leads to inflammation.

They will embark on their first clinical trial of one of these drugs, EB8108, later this year.

Looks like the AIEC race is on...
04-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #59
aypues

My Support Groups:
CCFA Patient Education Symposium - San Diego, from last weekend. Upcoming treatments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4_ccfa_talk.pdf (1.05 MB, 17 views)
05-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #60
xeridea

My Support Groups:
At the Digestive Disease Week conference in San Diego this week, a couple speakers presented findings showing early signals about the safety profile of Entyvio (vedolizumab: α4β7 integrin receptor antagonist) that may be different than anti-TNF-α drugs. Entyvio was approved in 2014 for treating UC/CD so the safety profile is still comparatively new, and collected mostly out of clinical trials, whereas the anti-TNF drugs have a much longer history of use dating back to the late 90's and have much more data reported from the field.

As one speaker put it, "Further analysis of the long-term real-world safety of vedolizumab should be conducted before conclusive claims of vedolizumab's safety can be made,"

The comparison numbers are Entyvio vs. anti-TNF-α.
  • 1.8% central nervous system hemorrhages and cerebrovascular accidents, vs. 0.4% in anti-TNF-α group.
  • more pulmonary thrombotic and embolic conditions, 1% vs. 0.4%
  • pulmonary edema (0.6% vs. 0.1%)
  • case of autoimmune hepatitis, optic neuritis, meningitis in patients who had previous predisposing conditions.

This is based on data from the FDA Adverse Event database and clinical experience from a doctor at Mayo.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » List of all Past, Current and Future Treatments for IBD