Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Fitness and Exercise » The Crohnsforum.com Yoga Studio - Class Begins Now

03-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #61
David
Co-Founder

Hey tek,

Hmm, I just don't know for sure, I'm sorry Over the internet, I'm going to have to be conservative and recommend you just do what you feel comfortable doing. For example, if you can sit in a chair, maybe doing the arm, wrist, and neck movements might be ok. Just do what feels comfortable and doesn't cause any pain.
03-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #62
spryte

After trying Yoga and not returning to it I am going to try this series of poses.

I am familiar with deep breathing exercises and meditation as I have used them for nearly 50 years for Migraine and stress relief. I just have never found an exercise regime that I could follow through on.

Many Thanks for creating this thread.
03-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #63
Basmah

My Support Groups:
I love yoga! Just as i was starting to be good at it, I fractured my foot. I will probably try some chair poses though. thanks for the thread.
03-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #64
David
Co-Founder

The vast majority of these postures would be doable by someone with a broken foot.
07-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #65
kiltubrid

My Support Groups:
David, thanks so much for starting this class. I have really bad RA and was recently diagnosed with AS in my ankles, and I never thought I would be able to do Yoga because I have so little flexibility. I tried the exercises you posted yesterday and could do most of them without much problem (except I can't really do #4 fully due to bad knees).

I have two questions:
1) I can't really kneel in #9-15, but I can do those exercises with the pose in #16. Is that as effective?
2) How important is it to sit on the floor? (I'm 59 with RA, so will likely never get back up!) I tried the exercises sitting on my bed, and it mostly worked although #6-8 didn't feet quite right. Would it be better to do the ones I can do sitting in a chair? Or to try the floor with someone there to help me up?

Thanks for this. My mom did Yoga for years as part of cardiac rehab, and it helped her enormously. She was more flexible at 75 than I was at 40. And the breathing especially helped her through recovery from a second heart attack. So I am a firm believer in it as a threapy and would really like to be able to do it.
07-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #66
Layla

My Support Groups:
Funny this thread should surface today!
I did the exercises once a while ago and found them very beneficial. Did I do them again?

Of course not!
So today I went to my first ever yoga class and signed up for more. I went to a Yin class which is mainly stretching and I could do all the poses. I feel great and am going again tomorrow.
Maybe if I've done that a while and know some good poses I'll get back to doing it at home too.
Resection due to strictures in 2014
Currently taking: Remicade, amitriptyline, zinc, multi vitamin, b12 shots, Vit D, B complex, magnesium, calcium, Psyllium and the occasional iron infusion

Previously on Humira, Prednisone, Azathioprine, MTX, Pentasa, Asacol, Salofalk
07-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #67
spryte

After trying Yoga and not returning to it I am going to try this series of poses.

I am familiar with deep breathing exercises and meditation as I have used them for nearly 50 years for Migraine and stress relief. I just have never found an exercise regime that I could follow through on.

Many Thanks for creating this thread.
Well I did try... Two weeks later I was admitted to hospital with numbness and tingling and almost total loss of muscle strength.
First Diagnosis: Guillain Barre Syndrome. After three weeks I was home and researching this topic. Apparently Crohn's sufferers are at greater risk of this type of neuropathy!
Started up again as I needed all the exercise I could get and wouldn't you know it, relapse.
Back to the hospital and convalescent care.
Second Diagnosis: CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demylenating Polyneuropathy), something else to live with.
Now I have a new need for regular exercise routine and am starting over again and will probably seek out a good Yoga or Tai Chi class to augment this.
07-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #68
Kit

@spryte so so sorry your are having such difficulties! Wishing you much success and no relapses!
07-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #69
spryte

@spryte so so sorry your are having such difficulties! Wishing you much success and no relapses!
Thanks for your kind words.
I have learned to live with Crohn's, this is something else I must learn to live with.
Once I have the time I will dig up the research I have come across linking diseases like Crohn's and Celiac to Neuropathy and share them with the community.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Fitness and Exercise » The Crohnsforum.com Yoga Studio - Class Begins Now