Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Low Fiber/Residue Diet Support Group

12-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #151
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
UnXmas do you mean you're bogged down by heavy calorie sources?

Are you using things like coconut oil, avocado, etc?
03-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #152
Marlena

Is it still low fiber if you cook your veggies to death? Which I despise.
03-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #153
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
UnXmas do you mean you're bogged down by heavy calorie sources?

Are you using things like coconut oil, avocado, etc?
I'm sorry, for some reason I missed this post until now. My situation has changed a lot. I'm still very underweight but gaining very slowly. However, since my last surgery I no longer have to eat as low fibre as I used to. I still eat only a moderate amount of fibre, but with my new ileostomy I've gradually been increasing and eating more fibre than I have in years without issues. However, I still get incredibly full, and eating fibre doesn't really help with weight gain, as the fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. I can eat now don't really add more calories to my diet, much as I appreciate the variety of food I can eat now.

When I was having to eat low fibre, yes, I ate a lot of avocados, smooth peanut butter, etc.

Is it still low fiber if you cook your veggies to death? Which I despise.
Cooking vegetables generally makes them much easier for people who can't handle much fibre. I believe it lowers the nutritional value of the vegetables too though, and some vegetables may cause problems even when well cooked, so be careful.

I used to eat well cooked vegetables when I had to eat low fibre, mainly carrots and other root vegetables, some others would still give me problems even when thoroughly cooked. I just felt my meals were more normal and complete with a token piece of veg, cooked veg still provide some nutrition, and I like the taste. If you don't like the taste of well cooked veg, and find veg that hasn't been well cooked gives you problems, you may as well skip veg in their normal forms altogether, and maybe try smooth vegetable soups, or get your vitamins from supplements. I've not tried it myself, but some people find juicing is a way they can have veg without fibre issues.
03-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #154
Marlena

I do a lot of juicing, so I guess that's the route. Thanks for your reply.
03-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #155
Ann Morgan
I don't eat raw OR cooked vegetables, I get diarrhea from both. But I do believe, from previous experiences, that I could probably eat cooked carrots and cooked root vegetables with little problems. But I am afraid to experiment on myself all of the time, so I have a tendency to eat "safe", but I am in no way getting the proper nutrition. A lot of foods that I can tolerate are foods that are high in sugar and carbohydrates. I can tolerate all dairy and all bread and pasta. I started making one smoothie every day last year. My Nutribullet "blender" works well for me. Actually, if I could withstand it, I would just have TWO smoothies a day and bypass all solid food altogether ( except my 12 ounces of coffee in the morning and any kind of food that is chocolate : - ) .

Thanks for listening. I am staying home today. I am tired, as usual. : - (

Have a happy and healthy week.
03-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #156
Marlena

Next time you feel you try something, find a juicing recipe and try it. Many Crohnie's who can't do veggies find this works.
03-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #157
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I don't eat raw OR cooked vegetables, I get diarrhea from both. But I do believe, from previous experiences, that I could probably eat cooked carrots and cooked root vegetables with little problems. But I am afraid to experiment on myself all of the time, so I have a tendency to eat "safe", but I am in no way getting the proper nutrition. A lot of foods that I can tolerate are foods that are high in sugar and carbohydrates. I can tolerate all dairy and all bread and pasta. I started making one smoothie every day last year. My Nutribullet "blender" works well for me. Actually, if I could withstand it, I would just have TWO smoothies a day and bypass all solid food altogether ( except my 12 ounces of coffee in the morning and any kind of food that is chocolate : - ) .
If you're able to tolerate whole grain bread, you may be ok with more vegetables, because whole grains contain fibre too.

Start with very small portions of vegetables and build up.

Dairy can be a healthy food, and if you don't want too many calories, could you try dairy products like low fat yoghurt and cottage cheese?

And you've probably seen them already in many of the posts around here, but bananas, avocados, smooth vegetable soups, tinned fruit (except tinned pineapples), and fruit juices - all are good fruits and vegetables for people with issues with high fibre.
06-28-2015, 04:10 AM   #158
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Looks like I am going back on a low fibre diet again. Fibre isn't blocking my stoma like it used to, but it seems to make my output far too thick.
08-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #159
Marlena

Went to the GI guy and still no fresh fruits - and it's summer! And I absolutely love peaches and all the others. Oh well, better safe than sorry, I suppose. But I could have peach cobbler. Hmmmmm.
08-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #160
karen.bruno.az

My Support Groups:
I am on this diet by doctors orders due to severe stenosis in my colon and small intestine. I have trouble finding healthy foods to eat on this diet. I would love to incorporate more fruits and vegetables but anything aside from juice scares me. I mainly eat white flour products and dairy. This has helped me gain weight but long term I know this is unhealthy.
I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling with your diet. There's a book out entitled "What To Eat With IBD" by Tracie Dalessandro, MS, RD, CDN. It is a good food resource.

There is a soup in this book - cream of potato carrot (page 90)- and it is packed with nutrition. Because the soup is pureed, it is very easy to digest and makes you feel full. I make a pot of it when I have a flare, and live off of it for a week. I would list the recipe, but the book is copyrighted. I highly recommend it, though. BetterWorldBooks has used books for incredibly low prices. Maybe they'll have a copy of it. (free shipping!)
08-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #161
Marlena

Oh, I read that and it is indeed a really good book. I'll check out that book site, too, thanks. And I love potatoes and carrots. I do a lot of juicing - you get most of the nutrients and none of the fiber.
08-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #162
karen.bruno.az

My Support Groups:
Oh, I read that and it is indeed a really good book. I'll check out that book site, too, thanks. And I love potatoes and carrots. I do a lot of juicing - you get most of the nutrients and none of the fiber.
I haven't tried juicing - I guess I should do that!
08-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #163
Marlena

The book is cheaper on Amazon.
08-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #164
karen.bruno.az

My Support Groups:
The book is cheaper on Amazon.
Good to know. I've told lots of people about that book - and everyone I know usually likes to save money!
08-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #165
AnnieYa

My Support Groups:
Went to the GI guy and still no fresh fruits - and it's summer! And I absolutely love peaches and all the others. Oh well, better safe than sorry, I suppose. But I could have peach cobbler. Hmmmmm.
I know what you mean, I walked through a market today and all the stalls were overloaded with all this amazing fruit or fresh smoothies/juices. There have been a few occasions throughout the year where I decided to risk it, but 75% of the time I end up worse off. Rhubarb crumble was tolerable for me though, did the peach cobbler work out OK?

Fruit juice (unless it's something really mild like pear) can really sting, but I haven't tried a pure vegetable one. Will look out for it
08-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #166
Marlena

The peach cobbler was just fine. The batter is like runny cake and the peaches are all cooked, but taste way better than canned. Rhubarb has worked for me, too. It's the black and red raspberries that really get to me, but I think I had better be good. The recipe for the peach cobbler - google "easy peach cobbler" and you'll find it. Goes together in about 10 minutes. And you can use any fruit. Probably not applesauce, though. But you can use drained cooked fruit as well. In the veggie section of the market, in the part that's refrigerated, there are usually a number of juices. they can be expensive, so I try to make my own. I get them when they're on a big sale.
08-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #167
Marlena

Oh, you can also water down your juice or mix it with seltzer and then use a straw to drink it, so the bubbles bother you less.
08-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #168
AnnieYa

My Support Groups:
Oh, you can also water down your juice or mix it with seltzer and then use a straw to drink it, so the bubbles bother you less.
Thanks

I'm currently living without an oven badly-stocked rental property. But perhaps stewing the fruit and topping with pancakes would be a good non-oven version.
08-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #169
Marlena

You could try very gently stewing and top with batter under a closed lid and see how it works, but just do enough for one small serving incase it doesn't, but the pancakes sound good, too.
05-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #170
lowri

My Support Groups:
My partner has just been diagnosed with crohns in his small intestines and ulcerative colitis in his large , as i prepare all his food i am looking for advise about the best food / diet for him
many thanks in advance

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Low Fiber/Residue Diet Support Group