Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Need Advice for Waterproofing Colostomy Bag

07-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
AJY84

My Support Groups:
Need Advice for Waterproofing Colostomy Bag

First off, I wasn't really sure where to post this, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong subforum.

I saw a video on YouTube a while back about using Glad Press 'n Seal and waterproof tape in order to keep one's colostomy bag dry when showering. An ostomy nurse recommended Hy Tape (pink, waterproof). I tried it just 30mins ago, but as soon as the water hit it, it completely fell off.
08-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
Hello, AJY84. I've moved your thread into the Stoma subforum so that someone with experience on the matter should see it and be able to help you.

Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

08-05-2015, 04:54 AM   #3
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
You can get waterproof pouch covers, although I've never found the pouch is that effected by water.

Crohn's since 1988
Ileostomy since 12/12/14 and loving it.
Med free for now
08-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I can't offer anything other than to echo what Grotbags said. My bag doesn't get affected by showering. I don't cover mine at all in the shower. If I were going to go swimming for hours at a time, I might look into some sort of waterproofing, but not for a shower. What issues are you having?

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
08-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
AJY84

My Support Groups:
The tape surrounding the wafer gets wet and lifts up, which causes the wafer itself to begin to lift up a few hours later. Which in turn requires an entire bag change. I have found a water proof cover online for $20 that I purchased. Hopefully it will help some.
08-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Oh, well that sucks! I hope the waterproof cover will work for you!!
08-06-2015, 04:20 AM   #7
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
Mines sticks even more after a shower, funny how every bodies so different.
I have seen ones on eBay that stick all around your skin so the wafer would be protected too.
Hope you find something that helps .
08-06-2015, 06:11 AM   #8
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't do anything extra to my bag when showering. I do use a washcloth on the front...I don't face the shower.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
08-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi I just showered as usual and even had a bath for upto half an hour without any problems,I also used a hairdryer on low heat to dry the pouch off if I was in a rush, that will also help to re stick the wafer..or should do in most cases!!
08-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Excellent.
08-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
justasgood

My Support Groups:
Just to understand, are you guys saying that you don't change your appliance after a shower? That you just dry it out and get going? Im really interested in products at the moment. Really don't find they are made for people to be active and consistently undermine activities. Thanks for your feedback
08-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just to understand, are you guys saying that you don't change your appliance after a shower? That you just dry it out and get going? Im really interested in products at the moment. Really don't find they are made for people to be active and consistently undermine activities. Thanks for your feedback
Hi thats right i didnt change my pouch after every shower or bath, if it was change day i would shower then change it, its just a case of trial and error the products till you find what works best for you , they all vary slightly. most ostomy supply companys are happy to send free samples if you ask, either ring or go online and request free samples.. order as many different pouches, pastes ,rings, powders as you can and try them out. wishing you luck with finding the right equipment for you ,
08-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
robbo87

My Support Groups:
I have an ileo but I go swimming quite often and also don't change after a shower. I use strips of opsite flexifix tape around the edge of the flange and it really works wonders. completely waterproof and keeps everything stuck down for ages even after a swim.
omeprozol 40mg
codeine x4
laparimide
ferrous sulphate
folic acid

ileostomy, colostomic mucus fistula stoma. gastostromy after recent surgery

tried, prednisolone, pentasa, azathioprine and infliximab
08-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #14
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I shower every morning and sometimes even a second shower in the evening, and just towel off and go. No changing the bag after a shower unless it its bag change day.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Need Advice for Waterproofing Colostomy Bag