Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Number of resections and time between

08-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
Number of resections and time between

I've had one resection 13 years ago. I've been on Lialda, Remicade, and Budesonide since. Recently I'm having signs of persistent narrowing again.
My question for those who have had a resection is how many have you had and what was the time period between surgeries??.
08-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
JOconnor

My Support Groups:
I have had 3 resections. There was 9 months between my first 2 and 5 years between my 2nd and 3rd.
08-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
I have had 3 resections. There was 9 months between my first 2 and 5 years between my 2nd and 3rd.
Thank you. A couple follow up questions if you don't mind. How long has it been now since the 3rd. Are you taking Meds?
08-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
JOconnor

My Support Groups:
It has been around 10 years since my last resection. I have taken Humira, cimzia, AMG 181 and am now taking Entyvio injections along with prednisone. My resections have only given me relief for a very short period of time, usually a only a couple months. Although for many people they do give long term improvement.
08-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
JOconnor

My Support Groups:
I was reading my posts and I have to correct myself sometimes I am not sure where my brain is. It was about 10 years between my 2nd and 3rd resection. My 3rd resection was around 5 years ago I had it completely backwards.
08-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Forum Monitor

I've had four surgeries for fibrotic strictures. 3 1/2 years between surgeries 1 and 2, 4 1/2 years between 2 and 3 and 5 years between 3 and 4.

I waited far too long to have surgeries 1, 2 and 3 given the state I was in though (very malnourished, unable to keep food or liquids down, lots of pain etc.)

Surgeries 1, 2 and 3 left me with active disease as the areas affected were too extensive to resect; that made it less likely that I would have long between surgeries.
Past treatments: prednisolone, azathioprine, budesonide, pentasa, EEN (oral and NG), elimination diet, SCD, whipworms, 6mp, Remicade, anti-MAP antibiotic therapy
Surgeries: small bowel resection and strictureplasties in 2001, 2005, 2009, 2014
09-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #7
NJZen

I had a resection in 1990, and my second this year, so 25 years in between. I however likely brought this last one on, as I refused to get treatment thinking I'd find the 'right' diet and supplement regimen as the area became more and more damaged.

My current treatment is very light and I am responding OK so far. Pentasa and pantoprazol and a bunch of vitamin supplements, multis, D3, folic acid, oscal, though I believe many of those are due to the prednisone that I have just finished tapering off of yesterday. (ouch, the fatigue and muscle pain/cramps not fun)

My disease is much more active than it was 25 years ago, so i doubt i will get another 25, but who knows as I am no longer pretending I do not have Crohns.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Number of resections and time between