Share Facebook

02-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #331
PollyH

I feel very discouraged because I worked so hard on the diet and never cheat not even once. I was so strict and I didn't help. I keep hearing about other success stories for people who have worse Crohn's then I do. I keep wondering why it didn't work for me.
Are you incorporating any probiotics? Are you eating too many nuts? Nuts have a fair amount of omega-6 oils and arginine. These need to be balanced with saturated fats and lysine.
02-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #332
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Diets. it seems to me we have the same diet fads here as anywhere. Different things work for different people.

For me a low-fat, low-residue diet has always helped. Now I am picking things out from the SCD diet. For example I now avoid most milk products but eat plenty of cheddar cheese and homemade yoghurt with the strains she recommends. Yet I am not about to start eating beef,beans and berries again, because they are bad for me.
I do need some carbs to maintain a fighting weight.

I did however buy off on the whole "undigested carbs" theory and stopped pigging bread or biscuits (especially in the evening) and I stop eating long before bedtime. Seems to be a positive experience so far..............

My message is that diet with Crohn's is the same as meds. Find a mix which suits. Continually test and revise and challenge.
02-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #333
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Diets. it seems to me we have the same diet fads here as anywhere. Different things work for different people.

For me a low-fat, low-residue diet has always helped. Now I am picking things out from the SCD diet. For example I now avoid most milk products but eat plenty of cheddar cheese and homemade yoghurt with the strains she recommends. Yet I am not about to start eating beef,beans and berries again, because they are bad for me.
I do need some carbs to maintain a fighting weight.

I did however buy off on the whole "undigested carbs" theory and stopped pigging bread or biscuits (especially in the evening) and I stop eating long before bedtime. Seems to be a positive experience so far..............

My message is that diet with Crohn's is the same as meds. Find a mix which suits. Continually test and revise and challenge.

I think there is definitely some truth to the thought that different diets work better for different people. You must ask yourself this though....is the diet only working for the symptoms? E could not eat beef, most fruits and veggies, etc before without having bad episodes of D within 12 hours. He still wasn't able to eat these things with SCD at first. Because the SCD is actually healing him on the inside, E is now eating everything allowed on SCD, even raw berries and beef and with zero problems. I could have placed him on a low residue diet and I am sure his symptoms would have improved some because his insides would not have been encountering the foods it found difficult to digest. BUT, the inflammation and problems on the inside would have still been full force. It is like telling someone not to walk on a particular leg because it hurts. Yes, the pain will not be obvious, but there is still something wrong with the leg. What I am looking at now is a kid who is giving crohn's a swift kick in the pants because he is healing from the inside out.
Enteral Nutrition
03-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #334
Mica

Are you incorporating any probiotics? Are you eating too many nuts? Nuts have a fair amount of omega-6 oils and arginine. These need to be balanced with saturated fats and lysine.
I've been taking 3 probiotics/day which were prescribed by a Naturopath Doc. As for nuts, I haven't eaten any until after my colonoscopy which was Feb 14th.

There is no doubt I has helped me. I do have more reg movements now and I even become constipated however I still do get diarrhea and still have pain regardless of what kind of movement I get.
10-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #335
Kristina57

Hi,

Does anyone know where to get SCD supplements in Vancouver, Canada?
10-02-2014, 01:12 AM   #336
Tantija

E could not eat beef, most fruits and veggies, etc before without having bad episodes of D within 12 hours. He still wasn't able to eat these things with SCD at first.
Hi, I was always wondering why we could not eat berries...By the way if you can, try veal instead of beef. It digests much easier.
SCD Diet since December 2011
B12 one injection in 3 month
Vitamin D, Zinc
Medication free
10-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #337
mvond5
Banned

My Support Groups:
My guess is because of the tiny seeds.
10-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #338
goofyrn2

My Support Groups:
I agree with mvond5. I assume they don't digest and aggravates the colon. I know they do me as well.
10-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #339
Susan2

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
The seeds certainly don't break down in my gut - I love raspberries and can eat moderate quantities if I sieve the seeds out first.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
10-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #340
mvond5
Banned

My Support Groups:
Maybe put them in a high power blender is you like them and don't want to do without. Like nutrition bullet or vitamixer. I use berries in my son's smoothie without any issues
10-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #341
Tantija

I can only eat cooked berries.
08-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #342
hrosstx

So far, 3 days, the SCD has stopped all my symptoms. Too early to see if it lasts, but Iíve bought the book and intend to abide by the list of legal foods as long as it works
08-31-2015, 01:12 AM   #343
Tantija

So far, 3 days, the SCD has stopped all my symptoms. Too early to see if it lasts, but Iíve bought the book and intend to abide by the list of legal foods as long as it works
Hi, it is great but be aware that symptoms could return be strong and continue. Good luck and ask as many questions as you have
12-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #344
Forristicat

Hi there. I am starting the SCD diet today.

I really hope that I am one of the people that this works on!

My goal is to have reduced CRP/Inflammation/blood tests/whatever tests and for my colonoscopy to show reduced signs of inflammation.

Any updates from anyone on their SCD progress? Particularly interested in the evidence that their Crohn's is going away as indicated by their colonoscopy/other tests. IMHO this is the true confirmation that it is working.
12-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #345
Tantija

Hi there. I am starting the SCD diet today.

I really hope that I am one of the people that this works on!

My goal is to have reduced CRP/Inflammation/blood tests/whatever tests and for my colonoscopy to show reduced signs of inflammation.

Any updates from anyone on their SCD progress? Particularly interested in the evidence that their Crohn's is going away as indicated by their colonoscopy/other tests. IMHO this is the true confirmation that it is working.
Good day, I am on SCD diet for the last 4 years. My blood test became good after 3 weeks, my stool got almost normal after 3.5 years. Every year MRI showed some improvements but my last MRI test in August 2015 showed very strong improvement and only minor signs of small intestines inflammation. I am very happy with the result and my doctor is very impressed even he did not believe this diet for my first 1.5 years. Good luck and do not hesitate to ask ANY questions.
12-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #346
Forristicat

Thanks Tantija

I wasn't aware that an MRI can show inflammation? I thought an MRI was for something else.

Are you on any meds at the moment?

I am still getting used to the diet. Need to find more recipes so I ordered some books. I've been eating a lot of tuna for lunch hehe.
12-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #347
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The seeds certainly don't break down in my gut - I love raspberries and can eat moderate quantities if I sieve the seeds out first.
I vaguely thought someone said something about seeds scratching your inside.
12-21-2015, 02:20 AM   #348
Tantija

Thanks Tantija

I wasn't aware that an MRI can show inflammation? I thought an MRI was for something else.

I am still getting used to the diet. Need to find more recipes so I ordered some books. I've been eating a lot of tuna for lunch hehe.
Hi. You are right. Blood test shows the inflammation and MRI shows changes of the intestines due the inflammation. No, i am not at any medication. It was my aim to do this diet to be medication free. I only have vitamins B12 and D. Regarding the recipes i will revert later running to work now

Good luck
12-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #349
Tantija

Thanks Tantija

Hi, here is my menu. I do not feel bad eating almost the same food every day. I look at the food as an energy source. By the way since these posts I have found goat cheese i can eat and also time to time i eat broccoli. I do not eat dates any longer and hardly bake nut bread.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...914#post733914

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...133#post734133

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...615#post424615
12-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #350
Forristicat

Thanks for the links to your menu. I made the SCD yoghurt today and am still experimenting with making different foods.
12-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #351
Tantija

Thanks for the links to your menu. I made the SCD yoghurt today and am still experimenting with making different foods.
Hi, do you well tolerate all the fruit and veg? In this case it will be much easier for you. Good luck!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
01-18-2016, 12:27 AM   #352
Forristicat

Yes, I do tolerate all the fruit and veg.

I have found that my stools have become more normal in general since starting this diet. (Have been on it for one month)
01-18-2016, 01:56 AM   #353
Tantija

Yes, I do tolerate all the fruit and veg.

I have found that my stools have become more normal in general since starting this diet. (Have been on it for one month)
Hi. I took me 4 years of the diet and SCD yoghurt to get the normal stool. There are even days I do not go at all but with my short guts it is kind of tricky you never know when it can "fire" so i am afraid to be too far from the bathrooms. I probably know all the bathrooms in London I saw my doctor last Monday and he said that my MRI shows only minor signs of the inflammation and that he is glad i have managed to convince him not to put me on the immunodepressants. He is very excited about my results. He even said:"I do not know how you do it! No, of course i know how you do it. I am wondering if you consider to eat everything again to see how you will react." I said: " Thank you very much but no. It took me 4 years of self discipline and i am not going to ruin what was not easy to achieve."
01-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #354
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi. I took me 4 years of the diet and SCD yoghurt to get the normal stool. There are even days I do not go at all but with my short guts it is kind of tricky you never know when it can "fire" so i am afraid to be too far from the bathrooms. I probably know all the bathrooms in London I saw my doctor last Monday and he said that my MRI shows only minor signs of the inflammation and that he is glad i have managed to convince him not to put me on the immunodepressants. He is very excited about my results. He even said:"I do not know how you do it! No, of course i know how you do it. I am wondering if you consider to eat everything again to see how you will react." I said: " Thank you very much but no. It took me 4 years of self discipline and i am not going to ruin what was not easy to achieve."
No matter what state I get into with this disease, I wouldn't consider just eating whatever.