Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Weight gain Support Group

09-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #271
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
Wow, you surely answered my question! Lots for me to look at! THANK YOU
09-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #272
JeffBee

My Support Groups:
If anyone is looking at protein shakes, I just found "True Athlete" Natural, it comes in chocolate, vanilla and unflavored and I really like the ingredients list.

Unflavored:
Whey protein concentrate, soy lecithin, Bacillus coagulans, lactase digestive enzyme, papain, bromelain

100 calories 20g protein per serving, 24 servings, costs about $24 so $1/serving.

Chocolate:
Whey protein concentrate, cocoa powder(processed with alkali), natural flavors, inulin, xanthan gum, soy lecithin, salt, stevia extract, LactoSporeŽ L.sporogenes, lactase digestive enzyme, papain, bromelain.

A lot of companies are now offering 'natural' lines of protein including Isopure, Optimum Nutrition, and Pursuit Rx to name a few. Most of these appear to have crohn's-safe ingredients.

I would advise against Muscle Milk brand as it has a bad reputation for heavy metals.
I am also trying to find a "natural" protein shake. I found one called Orgain Organic Protein Powder. Have you tried this one? In another group there was an issue with inulin causing a lot of gas. Thanks!
09-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #273
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
JeffBee: is there any protein shake that does not have milk in it? I can't tolerate dairy.
Thanks,
09-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #274
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You can't tolerate lactose or are you milk allergic?
Boost and ensure are extremely low lactose
Peptamen is lactose intolerant friendly and insurance tends to cover through durable medical supplies but not good for milk allergy - semi elemental ( more broken down easier to digest better quality fatty chains etc..)
Neocate /elecare /Eo 28 splash are elemental ( amino acid based - no allergens very little intestine needed to absorb it)

OTC orgain vegan has no milk or soy in it
But it is not complete nutrition
Just fruit/veggies and protein.
09-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #275
JeffBee

My Support Groups:
JeffBee: is there any protein shake that does not have milk in it? I can't tolerate dairy.
Thanks,
Gail, I bought this Orgain Organic Protein Powder today and there is no dairy. Ingredients look very good, but the stevia has such a sweet after taste that I may return it. They said I could get full credit if I used up to half the product. Tomorrow I will be cutting it with hemp powder to see if that helps on the sweetness. But look it up, it's ingredients are very good and it has a higher protein content than hemp powder.
09-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #276
Helene

My Support Groups:
Hi, I haven't posted in a while but my weight is still way below what it should be. So I'm trying some new things and trying to get away from all the pharmaceuticals. I'm trying to be as organic as possible. I've been doing this for a few months and thank goodness for coconut oil and almond butter! I often have an issue with the taste of the powders...some actually make me nauseous. Does anyone have suggestions to which powders are palatable when mixed with something that is not full of sugars and/or lactose?
Surgeries: Colectomy, Colostomy and reversal 1993
Bowel Obstruction Surgery 2010 (I was 7 months pregnant for that one)
Colectomy, Ileostomy and reversal 2011
09-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #277
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
wow, Helen, you must be doing well to not have to be on Remicade or Humira. I am on Entocrot and Remicade and still not doing well. I, too, am about 30 pounds underweight and seem to keep losing, not gaining. I make Smoothies: 1 scoop Jarrow's Brown Rice Protein, 8 0z water, 1/2 banana, and you can add coconut oil or almond butter. It tastes pretty good. I am on the Low FODMAP diet.
09-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #278
Helene

My Support Groups:
I wish I was doing better! Remicade stopped working for me after I had my 2nd child and I had to come off Humira due to a horrific allergic reaction that put me in the hospital for 2 weeks. I was on Entocort for maintenance, but I have spent half my life on steroids and I just wanted to get away from that course of treatment.
I'm frustrated with doctors, nutritionists and feeling like a guinea pig. Have you had positive results with the FODMAP diet?
09-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #279
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
Yes, FODMAP has given me the best parameters on what to eat and what not to eat. I have, of course, customized it for myself, as intended by the creators of it. I don't eat nuts and some other things. I think Crohns is a very complicated disease and everyone who has it requires a different treatment and diet. It surely is not a scientific model as viral and bacteria diseases are. We are guinea pigs. It is a very difficult idea to accept about oneself. I feel quite cheated by my condition since my life is controlled by it. I am constantly looking for God in my suffering.
09-19-2015, 07:05 AM   #280
Helene

My Support Groups:
My faith in God and knowing that He has a bigger plan for me is what gets me through the day sometimes. I am working on tailoring a diet that works for me, it's hard to put myself first sometimes when I have little ones depending on me...I'm worthless when I'm sick and tired though. It's a tough balance, not that I need to tell you that!
09-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #281
magy35

This is a great support group. I couldn't find the subscribe button so am replying to join in the discussion. Again, I can't express how meaningful this forum has been in providing me support. I was just in the hospital for 17 days and my weight has dropped to its lowest at 95 lbs. While in the hospital, I was started on 90mg IV prednisone and was discharged on a dose of 60 mg. As a result, my appetite is raging and I am finally starting to put on some weight. It is nice to have an appetite again!
Maggie
10-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #282
duh panda

My Support Groups:
It's been a long struggle but after tossing remicade into the equation with prednisone and mtx seeing consistent gains (about 1lb a month) and holding my lowest acceptable weight for first time in over 2 years. So nice to not be feeling like a complete stick figure right now or have everything so sore that gentle hugs were unbearable. Hope this weeks finding you all well and seeing progression on the diet/ weight front!
10-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #283
ColossalBD

My Support Groups:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew easy ways to gain weight, I've been struggling ever since I was diagnosed with crohns, I'm a 16 year old male and way under 86 pounds, and it's slowly been dropping, I'm lactose intolerant so I can't have any dairy, or else I get major cramps and diarrhea. I'm a pretty picky eater all I have all day is, really just crackers and cereal (with lactose free milk) plus with low iron it's hard to go anywhere, I've been out of school for over a year and I need to get back to my normal self so if anyone knows any diets to make me gain weight, it would be very helpful thanks!

-Andrew
10-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #284
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew easy ways to gain weight, I've been struggling ever since I was diagnosed with crohns, I'm a 16 year old male and way under 86 pounds, and it's slowly been dropping, I'm lactose intolerant so I can't have any dairy, or else I get major cramps and diarrhea. I'm a pretty picky eater all I have all day is, really just crackers and cereal (with lactose free milk) plus with low iron it's hard to go anywhere, I've been out of school for over a year and I need to get back to my normal self so if anyone knows any diets to make me gain weight, it would be very helpful thanks!

-Andrew
Reduce intake of sugar / sweets and buy a fiber supplement and your diarrhea will most likely clear up.

I use this
http://www.renewlife.com/fiber-suppl...bEIxoCFnPw_wcB

You can also try psyllium.

Add safflower and coconut oil into your diet.

Crohn's dieting is highly subjective but I believe this should help based on the most common cause of crohn's diarrhea.
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
10-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #285
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ds is 11
Was dx at age 7
Peptamen jr is ok for lactose intolerance
They have an adult version peptamen
Your GI can write a script
It semi elemental so only takes a few inches of healthy intestine to digest it .

He drinks them in addition to food
Helped him gain close to 47 lbs in 4 years.
He was 50 lbs at dx after not gaining for 2 years
He is now 97 lbs .

Good luck
10-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #286
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
I am lactose intolerant and peptamen caused me pain ( I am 70 years old). I make my own smoothies from spinach, rice bran powder, water, a little oil, and 1/2 banana. But I have not stablized with this disease and most of the time almost ALL food bothers me. Obviously I am unable to put weight on and am really, really skinny. And no energy to buy new clothes....but I still have more clothes than most of the world, I'm sure.
10-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #287
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Gail, I bought this Orgain Organic Protein Powder today and there is no dairy. Ingredients look very good, but the stevia has such a sweet after taste that I may return it. They said I could get full credit if I used up to half the product. Tomorrow I will be cutting it with hemp powder to see if that helps on the sweetness. But look it up, it's ingredients are very good and it has a higher protein content than hemp powder.
Inulin is a prebiotic fiber, it's likely to cause gas because of this. It may go away in time or it may not, hard to say, but I'd suggest experimenting with something cheaper that contains inulin first. Some Stevia does.

Oddly I bought true athlete unflavored and it was fine, but when I bought natural chocolate flavored I had issues with it.

The ON chocolate and vanilla seem okay. I haven't tried their natural flavors yet.
10-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #288
Gail Jothen

My Support Groups:
InstantCoffee: my organic store carries Orgain organic nutritional shake which has milk, but also carries Orgain veggie shake which is diary free, but they were out of this when I went there yesterday. Just have to wait. meanwhile, I drink my smoothies made with rice bran powder, but I always appreciate ready made! Yes, inulin is off the FODMAP diet....bananas have it so I can eat only 1/2 a banana. Thanks for the info. I haven't gained weight but haven't lost any either. I start Entyvio in 20 days....
05-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #289
drewpalermo
Banned

My Support Groups:
Ok guys, since I last posted in this thread (July 2015), I've been able to gain 20 pounds or so. Now I'm at a normal BMI, and I really have to give credit to the ox bile and pancreatin supplements I include with almost every meal to help break down the fat, carbs, and protein.

They're digestive supplements (animal derived), and I didn't have to eat any processed crap to get there. I cooked the majority of my meals, with a little bit of almond butter every other day usually, some animal protein, and LOTS of cooked vegetables. I also don't shy away from a tablespoon (give or take) of duck fat/ grass fed butter etc.
05-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #290
JeffBee

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the update Drew. I need to add another 15 or 20 lbs as well. My small intestine has been shortened quite a bit after 2 surgeries and the older I get the less I absorb through my small intestine. Do you have your full length of intestine? Are there any particular brands of enzymes that you have found that work better than others?
Thanks, Jeff
05-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #291
drewpalermo
Banned

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the update Drew. I need to add another 15 or 20 lbs as well. My small intestine has been shortened quite a bit after 2 surgeries and the older I get the less I absorb through my small intestine. Do you have your full length of intestine? Are there any particular brands of enzymes that you have found that work better than others?
Thanks, Jeff
Hi Jeff, hope you're doing well. Luckily I have not had any part of my intestine removed. The two brands I use are Source Naturals and Nutricology. I took a picture of them on my blog here: ...

I almost always take about half of a pancreatin capsule and half of an ox bile capsule with each meal, especially if I'm eating animal protein. I don't remember the last time I had a painful stomach ache.

Drew

Last edited by Jennifer; 05-19-2016 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Link removed as it contains links to items for sale.
05-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #292
paul090

My Support Groups:
Thanks for this thread I'm going to have a good Reed though, I'm so sick of being underweight, thanks to my latest flair I've dropped a few stones, legs have gone back to being really skinny.
Good luck to everyone 😁
02-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #293
dchad57

My Support Groups:
Hello Everyone, I noticed there haven't been any posts for awhile, I'm hoping I can get some feedback and advice. I have had Crohn's since 1989 I have been on EVERY medicine there is. After my recent flare I have started Entyvio I go for my 3rd infusion on 3/9 I dropped to 85 lbs in Dec. and was hospitalized for 5 days. An NG Enteral feeding tube was inserted and I was sent home with it for 6 weeks (removed 2/9) I did great and gained 20 lbs. I have been maintaining at 102 lbs. Well this morning I get on the scale and dropped to 99 lbs. I eat the best I can and have several boosts a day but as you all know who wants to eat when it causes pain and diarrhea.
My question to anyone is for advice for nutritional help with gaining weight, shakes, smoothies whatever has worked for anyone else. I CAN'T have CORN (in any form) non gmo only please. I can't digest fruits & veggies that's why I say smoothies & shakes. Thanks in advance Donna
02-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #294
crohns4ever

My Support Groups:
Has anyone tried a gluten free high protein diet, diet dude placed me on it when I was recently in the hospital for 14 days. Been gaining weight like crazy..
02-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #295
crohns4ever

My Support Groups:
Just wanted to know if anyone had good or bad experience with a gluten free diet with crohns..
03-31-2017, 06:40 AM   #296
mellyag

My Support Groups:
I lost weight quickly, 37 pounds (more than 16 kg) in 2 months. I was sent to a psychiatric hospital to learn to think positive! I also had lots of pain. I tried various helps (naturopath, acupuncture etc.) but after 4 years of losing more weight and being depressed, I had a pill cam and the (new) doctor found 9 ulcers in my upper intestine which can be found only by a pill cam. Other tests do not see or go to that area. I am still on anti anxiety medicine from the psychiatric hospital and would love to get off them as I think they dry out my body too much, including my stomach, which is not healthy for digestion.
I guess this is why doctors "practice" medicine.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Weight gain Support Group