Share Facebook

01-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
Hollies83

Food

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with crohns and struggling with what to eat, I find I am okay with white bread, pasta and rice but struggling as can get a bit boring. Does anyone know of any sauces that I could put with rice? Do any of you eat cereal? Also I have stopped eating takeaway, has anyone had the do the same? My mom is coeliac and I'm feeling what I have is harder than hers.
01-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
As far as cereal is concerned, I was eating gluten free corn flakes for a while but corn bothers my stomach. I am going to try brown rice cereal.
01-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Hollies83

Oh I was told not to have anything brown. Maybe I will try those just to give me something different. I am just finding it hard. Thank you.
01-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You are welcome. My understanding is brown rice is supposed to be better for you.

01-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Hollies83

I find white rice okay for me, it's just what sauce I can have with it.
01-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Maybe soy or duck sauces?

01-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Hollies83

Isn't duck sauce too sweet? Do you ever have takeaways?
01-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What do you mean by takeaways?

01-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
Hollies83

Chinese, Indian, pizza, chips
01-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes

01-20-2016, 02:47 AM   #11
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi hollies83. What have you tried already,are you in a flare now ?or is all good as this can make a difference to what you can eat n when .I ask this as it will help me to answer your question better. Best wishes 💟
01-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #12
Hollies83

Hi Mandyk, well it's difficult at the moment as I haven't long started my medication so still getting symptoms, I am trying to be really good with the food that I eat however I am finding it hard to know what sets me off, I know I can't eat a lot of sugary foods, I am fine with white bread, rice and pasta and can't eat a lot of sauces, not sure what sauce to use with rice but someone else told me duck sauce which I thought may be too sweet? Can I ask you as a woman do you find it worsens at the time of your monthly cycle? 😊
01-20-2016, 03:02 AM   #13
Hollies83

Hi Mandyk, well it's difficult at the moment as I haven't long started my medication so still getting symptoms, I am trying to be really good with the food that I eat however I am finding it hard to know what sets me off, I know I can't eat a lot of sugary foods, I am fine with white bread, rice and pasta and can't eat a lot of sauces, not sure what sauce to use with rice but someone else told me duck sauce which I thought may be too sweet? Can I ask you as a woman do you find it worsens at the time of your monthly cycle? 😊
I am also not eating anything with skins on such as tomatoes, no salad, only eating carrots and green beans, mash mainly and can keep down scrambled egg, I am eating lacto free cheese, I would really like to know if there is a cereal I could eat so I don't keep eating lots of bread x also are you able to have takeaway or does that affect you? 😊
01-20-2016, 03:04 AM   #14
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am also not eating anything with skins on such as tomatoes, no salad, only eating carrots and green beans, mash mainly and can keep down scrambled egg, I am eating lacto free cheese, I would really like to know if there is a cereal I could eat so I don't keep eating lots of bread x also are you able to have takeaway or does that affect you? 😊
I had a resection almost six years ago and can't eat anything with skin on it anymore.

01-20-2016, 03:06 AM   #15
Hollies83

I'm sorry but what is a resection? I stopped eating it from the start as I read and was told it was better, trying to help myself, don't want to make it worse.
01-20-2016, 03:07 AM   #16
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
They removed about six centimeters of my stomach .

01-20-2016, 03:10 AM   #17
Hollies83

Oh no, I have been told that in years to come most people with crohns have an op but I'm hoping I don't, however they said mine is really bad, has taken over all of the large intestines and think possibly the smaller ones too but I'm waiting for an mri to check that out.
01-20-2016, 03:13 AM   #18
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope you can bypass surgery.

01-20-2016, 03:13 AM   #19
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi .im just going into work now but will reply later . Hugs 💕
01-20-2016, 03:14 AM   #20
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Best to you, Mandy.

01-20-2016, 03:17 AM   #21
Hollies83

Oh thank you.

Best to you both😊
01-20-2016, 03:18 AM   #22
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh thank you.

Best to you both😊
Same to you.

01-20-2016, 03:25 AM   #23
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Best to you, Mandy.
To you to Ron 💕
01-20-2016, 03:26 AM   #24
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh thank you.

Best to you both😊
No worries and best to you to Hollies. 💕
01-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
Hi Hollies, sorry to hear about the Crohn's diagnosis. Everyone is a little different in what they can and can tolerate foodwise. Some basics are to stay away from alcohol, spicy food, processed foods(which is basically what takeaways are). You really have to start reading ingredient labels, you will be amazed at how some simple foods are crammed full of chemicals. Some of my main triggers are MSG, Carrageenan(food additive), onion and garlic(these give me bad bloating and gas pains). For sauces, what about just butter, salt and pepper? Or a pesto(without the pine nuts). Start making your own sauces so you can control what the ingredients are.
01-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #26
Hollies83

Yes I have found most alcohol I struggle with and I have avoided takeaways from the start even though I so fancy a curry (I don't even like spicy I have korma lol). I have been having fish with rice and no sauce but getting a bit boring now, can you have parsley sauce? What made you even think to look at additives, what do you eat as it looks to me msg is in lots of things?
01-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #27
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
I do a lot of cooking at home so I can control the ingredients. I make large batches and freeze them for later since I live alone. If I am out of the house I don't get takeaway but will go to the grocery store to get lunch. I read all ingredient labels. You can try making curries at home. Try simple ones at first to see how they affect you. For me, I have to buy specific cream to use that doesn't have carrageenan in it. I haven't ever heard of parsley sauce before. You can always try a little and see how your gut handles it. I use a food log to track reactions. Unfortunately it can be a bit of a detective game since reactions can take 24-48 hours to hit.
01-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #28
Hollies83

What happens if you don't like cooking lol what cream do you use then? I wouldn't mind to try it. I'm just finding it so hard, I feel unless you eat one thing at a time there is no other way of finding out what effects me 😟 I take it you dont eat any per packed food then? Do you eat fresh fish? What type of food do you have for breakfast? Sorry I am asking lots of questions 😀
01-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #29
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
I'm not big on cooking but there are certainly shortcuts. I microwave sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spaghetti squash. I use a pressure cooker (whole small chicken cooks in 30 min). I also use the pressure cooker to make bone broth. In addition I use my slow cooker a lot. The cream that I use iscalled Kalona Super natural(at Whole Foods). I eat some packaged food: tuna fish(but not the big brands because they have MSG; I get the kind that only have tuna, water and salt), peanut butter(they sell Justin's Peanut butter in single serving packs), and some other things that have very few ingredients(Walkers shortbread-yum). I like fish, but I'm not very good at cooking it. For breakfast i have eggs, cheese(dairy doesn't bother me), grapefruit and blueberries and yogurt. Sometimes I have steel cut oatmeal that I made in my pressure cooker. I love fruit and some don't bother me at all (berries, kiwi, grapefruit), others i have to eat in moderation(pineapple, cherries) and some I can only have when I'm feeling normal (apples)
01-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #30
Hollies83

Oh my life my head is spinning lol I will give the curry a go. Thank you for your advice 🙂