• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with crohns and struggling with what to eat, I find I am okay with white bread, pasta and rice but struggling as can get a bit boring. Does anyone know of any sauces that I could put with rice? Do any of you eat cereal? Also I have stopped eating takeaway, has anyone had the do the same? My mom is coeliac and I'm feeling what I have is harder than hers.

As far as cereal is concerned, I was eating gluten free corn flakes for a while but corn bothers my stomach. I am going to try brown rice cereal.

Oh I was told not to have anything brown. Maybe I will try those just to give me something different. I am just finding it hard. Thank you.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi hollies83. What have you tried already,are you in a flare now ?or is all good as this can make a difference to what you can eat n when .I ask this as it will help me to answer your question better. Best wishes πŸ’Ÿ

Hi Mandyk, well it's difficult at the moment as I haven't long started my medication so still getting symptoms, I am trying to be really good with the food that I eat however I am finding it hard to know what sets me off, I know I can't eat a lot of sugary foods, I am fine with white bread, rice and pasta and can't eat a lot of sauces, not sure what sauce to use with rice but someone else told me duck sauce which I thought may be too sweet? Can I ask you as a woman do you find it worsens at the time of your monthly cycle? 😊

Hi Mandyk, well it's difficult at the moment as I haven't long started my medication so still getting symptoms, I am trying to be really good with the food that I eat however I am finding it hard to know what sets me off, I know I can't eat a lot of sugary foods, I am fine with white bread, rice and pasta and can't eat a lot of sauces, not sure what sauce to use with rice but someone else told me duck sauce which I thought may be too sweet? Can I ask you as a woman do you find it worsens at the time of your monthly cycle? 😊
I am also not eating anything with skins on such as tomatoes, no salad, only eating carrots and green beans, mash mainly and can keep down scrambled egg, I am eating lacto free cheese, I would really like to know if there is a cereal I could eat so I don't keep eating lots of bread x also are you able to have takeaway or does that affect you? 😊

I am also not eating anything with skins on such as tomatoes, no salad, only eating carrots and green beans, mash mainly and can keep down scrambled egg, I am eating lacto free cheese, I would really like to know if there is a cereal I could eat so I don't keep eating lots of bread x also are you able to have takeaway or does that affect you? 😊
I had a resection almost six years ago and can't eat anything with skin on it anymore.

I'm sorry but what is a resection? I stopped eating it from the start as I read and was told it was better, trying to help myself, don't want to make it worse.

Oh no, I have been told that in years to come most people with crohns have an op but I'm hoping I don't, however they said mine is really bad, has taken over all of the large intestines and think possibly the smaller ones too but I'm waiting for an mri to check that out.

Hi Hollies, sorry to hear about the Crohn's diagnosis. Everyone is a little different in what they can and can tolerate foodwise. Some basics are to stay away from alcohol, spicy food, processed foods(which is basically what takeaways are). You really have to start reading ingredient labels, you will be amazed at how some simple foods are crammed full of chemicals. Some of my main triggers are MSG, Carrageenan(food additive), onion and garlic(these give me bad bloating and gas pains). For sauces, what about just butter, salt and pepper? Or a pesto(without the pine nuts). Start making your own sauces so you can control what the ingredients are.

Yes I have found most alcohol I struggle with and I have avoided takeaways from the start even though I so fancy a curry (I don't even like spicy I have korma lol). I have been having fish with rice and no sauce but getting a bit boring now, can you have parsley sauce? What made you even think to look at additives, what do you eat as it looks to me msg is in lots of things?

I do a lot of cooking at home so I can control the ingredients. I make large batches and freeze them for later since I live alone. If I am out of the house I don't get takeaway but will go to the grocery store to get lunch. I read all ingredient labels. You can try making curries at home. Try simple ones at first to see how they affect you. For me, I have to buy specific cream to use that doesn't have carrageenan in it. I haven't ever heard of parsley sauce before. You can always try a little and see how your gut handles it. I use a food log to track reactions. Unfortunately it can be a bit of a detective game since reactions can take 24-48 hours to hit.

What happens if you don't like cooking lol what cream do you use then? I wouldn't mind to try it. I'm just finding it so hard, I feel unless you eat one thing at a time there is no other way of finding out what effects me 😟 I take it you dont eat any per packed food then? Do you eat fresh fish? What type of food do you have for breakfast? Sorry I am asking lots of questions πŸ˜€

I'm not big on cooking but there are certainly shortcuts. I microwave sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spaghetti squash. I use a pressure cooker (whole small chicken cooks in 30 min). I also use the pressure cooker to make bone broth. In addition I use my slow cooker a lot. The cream that I use iscalled Kalona Super natural(at Whole Foods). I eat some packaged food: tuna fish(but not the big brands because they have MSG; I get the kind that only have tuna, water and salt), peanut butter(they sell Justin's Peanut butter in single serving packs), and some other things that have very few ingredients(Walkers shortbread-yum). I like fish, but I'm not very good at cooking it. :confused2: For breakfast i have eggs, cheese(dairy doesn't bother me), grapefruit and blueberries and yogurt. Sometimes I have steel cut oatmeal that I made in my pressure cooker. I love fruit and some don't bother me at all (berries, kiwi, grapefruit), others i have to eat in moderation(pineapple, cherries) and some I can only have when I'm feeling normal (apples)

Good luck! It definitely is a trial and error process. Try a food journal to track everything. There are some good apps for that.

Hollie,earlier in the thread you asked about takeaways. My wife and I mostly stay away from places that do processed foods. There is one place close to us that fixes foods that are fixed to your orders. If you have a food allergy they will leave it out.

Meats don't bother me at all as long as there aren't seasoning or sauces that can contain hidden ingredients. Fats don't seem to bother me either. Some with Crohn's have problems with fatty foods, especially if they have any gallbladder issues.

Hollie,earlier in the thread you asked about takeaways. My wife and I mostly stay away from places that do processed foods. There is one place close to us that fixes foods that are fixed to your orders. If you have a food allergy they will leave it out.
It's just figuring out what my allergies are. Sorry to be a pain asking all these questions it is just so hard, I have been lucky and not had anything wrong with me before.

Meats don't bother me at all as long as there aren't seasoning or sauces that can contain hidden ingredients. Fats don't seem to bother me either. Some with Crohn's have problems with fatty foods, especially if they have any gallbladder issues.
So you don't eat food like sausage rolls etc

Don't worry. I have had Crohn's for about 26 years but still feel like I have lots of questions. I think a food diary is a good idea.

Don't worry. I have had Crohn's for about 26 years but still feel like I have lots of questions. I think a food diary is a good idea.
Oh my life that's a long time, no you have been really helpful, I will just be glad when I can work out what I can eat and it makes me feel better πŸ˜€

No worries, ask any questions you'd like! I don't eat sausage mostly because it has all kinds or preservatives and ingredients that i don't know whether it will set me off or not. I have no problems eating pork. The meats I eat are unadulterated or seasoned with ingredients I know don't bother me. I do eat bacon every once in a while. I can get no nitrate/nitrite bacon at some health food stores.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi Hollies, well since I last posted I think your food questions have pretty much been answered lol. I haven't had monthlys for years as my birth control stopped them n so I can't answer that on my own behalf. Tho a few other ladies on here say it can be worse then.
Parsley sauce should be ok as it is quite mild, have you tried sweet n sour sauce but check out if it has anything in it you know affects your tummy.
I will leave you to absorb all the stuff that has come your way for now, but feel free to call out if you need more help, or just to moan, say how you're doing or anything else. Hugs πŸ’–

If I am in a flare and am cleaning up my diet I make up a big pot of chicken broth/stock (chicken carcass, some veg, herbs etc) and have that with some noodles or rice and some grilled chicken. I freeze any extra in freezer bags.
The stock is really soothing and easy to digest and makes plain rice etc much more interesting.

Hi Hollies, your current diet sounds a lot like mine (though I am in a non-stop flare right now). I find that rice krispies are the best breakfast cereal for me, and I buy the ones I can find with the least sugar, ie some cheap own brands are lower in sugar than the posher brands. I used to love porridge but that's not possible any more.

Thank you all for you advice πŸ™‚
I have been to see consultant today my blood test results have shown inflammation go from 33 to 144, not good, got to go on a drip now to help the inflammation quicker 😟
Can I ask has anyone had to have a blood test for tb, I have got to have one next week ??

fuzzy butterfly

Hi yes I had to have one before I went on remicade, I think it was the remicade I had it for. Lordy my memory is getting worse lol. I am sorry you are having to go on the drip hun, but it will help you quicker. πŸ’–

Sorry only just responded not been great, did they explain why the were doing a blood test?
Can I ask what you all eat during a flare up? 😊

The TB test is to check to see if you will be able to take biologics. With blood tests they look at all sorts of things-white cell count to see if you have an infection, iron to see if you are anemic, B12 levels, vitamin D levels, CRP levels(inflammation), etc

The TB test is to check to see if you will be able to take biologics. With blood tests they look at all sorts of things-white cell count to see if you have an infection, iron to see if you are anemic, B12 levels, vitamin D levels, CRP levels(inflammation), etc
Thank you for your reply but can I ask what is biologics 😊

Biologics are a class of drugs used to treat Crohns Disease. Remicade is one, and it puts you at greater risk of TB, which is why they test for TB before you go on it. I am possibly going on biologics soon and the thought is quite scary, as some have to be administered via a drip, like chemotherapy. I read that Remicade is now classed as a chemotherapy drug, and so the list of side-effects is very long. However, research seems to show that it's far more effective than, say, steroids, in preventing ongoing damage from Crohns. I'm sure someone who's actually on biologics can give you a better explanation than me! They were originally derived from animals and humans (mice and aborted human foetuses, yuk), hence the name biologics.

Biologics are derived from a biological source. In the case of Remicade, Humira, Cimiza, Entyvio and Stelara; these are monoclonal antibodies made in vitro. Antibody are naturally produced by animals to target "foreign" invaders (virus, parasites, bacterial), so pharmaceutical companies use the natural ability of an antibody to target a specific site on a protein. The biologics antibodies are made in a lab in a specific type of cell culture(hybridoma) that is like a little factory of cells that churn out just this one specific antibody that target one specific molecule. The cells in the hybridoma "factory" can be made out of human cells(like with Humira) or a cross(chimera) of mouse and human cells(like Remicade). The good news about biologics is they are very specific about what they target in the body. For example, Remicade and Humira will only target TNF (a protein in the body). The bad news about biologics is the immune system is SO complex! So hence why there is such a diverse range of side affects. Sorry for the overload of info; this is my field and I find it interesting (I sell research supplies)

Blimy it still sounds confusing to me lol

Some of you have answered me already but are any of you able to eat takeaway ie Indian, Chinese etc? Or do you stay well away from it? Also do any of you drink alcohol? Can I also ask what you drink other than water? 😊

Blimy it still sounds confusing to me lol

Some of you have answered me already but are any of you able to eat takeaway ie Indian, Chinese etc? Or do you stay well away from it? Also do any of you drink alcohol? Can I also ask what you drink other than water? [emoji4]

I have an Indian takeaway once in a while, although it doesn't always agree with me unfortunately.
I do also drink a little bit of alcohol, never in excess, my favourite is gin and soda or a glass of wine. During the day at work I have herbal tea or decaf coffee, I also drink a lot of sparkling water with fresh lime in it.

I have an Indian takeaway once in a while, although it doesn't always agree with me unfortunately.
Thank you for your response 😊
I do also drink a little bit of alcohol, never in excess, my favourite is gin and soda or a glass of wine. During the day at work I have herbal tea or decaf coffee, I also drink a lot of sparkling water with fresh lime in it.
Well the only thing I used to have from a curry place was a chicken korma, can't do spicy, I stopped eating takeaways
altogether just in case, I don't know if a korma would be too creamy?
Do you drink squash at all?

Well the only thing I used to have from a curry place was a chicken korma, can't do spicy, I stopped eating takeaways
For me,if I have vegetables, they have to be well done.

Hi Hollies-I'm guessing that a squash drink is not pureed squash but a highly processed drink? I drink water and only occasionally tea. High sugar drinks can throw off your natural gut flora and the "low sugar" ones have unnatural chemicals(who knows what these do to our GI track?)

Hi Hollies-I'm guessing that a squash drink is not pureed squash but a highly processed drink? I drink water and only occasionally tea. High sugar drinks can throw off your natural gut flora and the "low sugar" ones have unnatural chemicals(who knows what these do to our GI track?)
That's true, I do try to not eat a lot of sugars.

My favourite from my curry place is a tandoori mixed grill as it doesn't have any sauce, but I can tolerate a korma or a butter chicken.

I don't drink squash at all, I try not to have any sugar (fructose) in my diet so stick to sparkling water.

My favourite from my curry place is a tandoori mixed grill as it doesn't have any sauce, but I can tolerate a korma or a butter chicken.

I don't drink squash at all, I try not to have any sugar (fructose) in my diet so stick to sparkling water.
Oh okay I shall try that once and see how I get on, I have been really good and not had any, have brought it for everyone else and I have had boring food 😟

I don't like sparkling water but drinking a lot of water.

It's so nice I can speak to you and the others to get ideas 😊

fuzzy butterfly

Oh my i have read the posts here on avoiding sugars. Jeepers i cant live without sugar im a sugar addict . So glad i can tolerate it. Or id just go crazy sugar is the only thing i cant do without. Spicey food i can eat in small n not often doses. Coffee tea milk water all are fine. Alcohol only in small amounts ie half a glass of wine at any one time or i get the D the day after. . Thats me now post two op's. B4 then i could eat n drink well basicly bugger all without severe pain for 18 mths. Till gi said surgery next stop on the crohns train. . Love to you all πŸ’• :hug:

Oh my i have read the posts here on avoiding sugars. Jeepers i cant live without sugar im a sugar addict . So glad i can tolerate it. Or id just go crazy sugar is the only thing i cant do without. Spicey food i can eat in small n not often doses. Coffee tea milk water all are fine. Alcohol only in small amounts ie half a glass of wine at any one time or i get the D the day after. . Thats me now post two op's. B4 then i could eat n drink well basicly bugger all without severe pain for 18 mths. Till gi said surgery next stop on the crohns train. . Love to you all πŸ’• :hug:
Hi Mandy, lucky I'm not a sugar person I have always been more savoury x not fussed about chocolate at all x can't you believe you have had two ops x I am dreading if they ever tell me that x it's a chicken korma I am missing x

fuzzy butterfly

Hi hun. I hope you dont have to do the surgery one. I only had two bcoz i had a temporary ileostomy n stoma . To give my bowel a rest n time to heal. So the 2nd was just to reverse that so i no longer had a bag on my side. To be truthfull i do not regret the op. As i was ready to slit my throat at the time. The pain i could not bear any longer. Constant day n night for 18mths. No let up what so ever n id had enough. So took myself to my local hospital with a suitcase packed n said sort me out now coz i aint leaving till you do.
Had to take a stand and make clear no fobbing off this time matey's. I didnt scream or shout just told it like it was. Within a week i was opperated on n felt so much better the day after n have never looked back as they say. Never take no for an answer is what iv learnt on my crohns train ride . It been one hell of a ride. But im stronger n braver for it .β˜ΊπŸ’•.

Hi hun. I hope you dont have to do the surgery one. I only had two bcoz i had a temporary ileostomy n stoma . To give my bowel a rest n time to heal. So the 2nd was just to reverse that so i no longer had a bag on my side. To be truthfull i do not regret the op. As i was ready to slit my throat at the time. The pain i could not bear any longer. Constant day n night for 18mths. No let up what so ever n id had enough. So took myself to my local hospital with a suitcase packed n said sort me out now coz i aint leaving till you do.
Had to take a stand and make clear no fobbing off this time matey's. I didnt scream or shout just told it like it was. Within a week i was opperated on n felt so much better the day after n have never looked back as they say. Never take no for an answer is what iv learnt on my crohns train ride . It been one hell of a ride. But im stronger n braver for it .β˜ΊπŸ’•.
Oh you poor thing you have been through a lot x I am hoping they have caught mine in time x my sister has stoma, she is spina bifida x so I know all about that but to be honest I don't know if I could handle it x I just want to get better and get back to normal x can I be cheeky and ask how old you are l, just tell me to mind my own if you want x

fuzzy butterfly

Lol im 53 chic. Was dxd at 49 after about 4yrs of what i call pissing about trying to find out what was wrong.
I hope they have caught you early n can get you well soon.
Ah so your aquianted with the old stoma one. Is your sisters stoma related to her SB.( Il mind my own if you wish there).
I found the stoma (which i named Hetty n the witches cauldron as there was always something brewing πŸ˜† )no problem maybe bcoz i felt sooo much better for it. I saw it as my saviour n took it into my heart. Had many a conversation with.. as it seemed to gurggle alot,kinda like a baby lol.
Heres to you getting back on track hun β˜ΊπŸ’•

I know what you mean about sugar, Mandy, I am an addict too, brought up on the stuff from babyhood (sugared water in my bottles) and I've got the teeth to prove it! I ate little else but cakes, sweets, biscuits and chocolate as a kid and wasn't much better as an adult. However, after that terrible month I had when I was in agony even sipping water, I've given it up! And I'm a lot older than you, I'm 61 soon. So if I can do it, honestly, anyone can. I've not eaten sugary stuff for four or five months now (except for a chocolate muffin before my colonoscopy, I figured that the prep would do a lot more damage than one little bun, well, one enormous bun actually). I almost don't miss it now. To begin with, I wanted to snatch cakes out of people's hands and devour them!

Hehe lol x yeah my sister had a bag for a few years from the age of 14 but they didn't something called the ace procedure so now she doesn't have a bag but has a stoma and uses catheters x I think I would struggle with it x I am only 32 and have never had anything wrong with me so was so upset to be told I have crohns, really was hoping it was what my mom had and that's gluten and what intolerance - coeliac x

fuzzy butterfly

☺ oh well done you Lizzie. I really am a sweet toothed monster lol. I guess if i really had to i would but its my only pleasure. I gave up smoking 2yrs back when i had my 1st op. To give up sugar i dont think id live longer it would just seem like it πŸ˜†

I know what you mean about sugar, Mandy, I am an addict too, brought up on the stuff from babyhood (sugared water in my bottles) and I've got the teeth to prove it! I ate little else but cakes, sweets, biscuits and chocolate as a kid and wasn't much better as an adult. However, after that terrible month I had when I was in agony even sipping water, I've given it up! And I'm a lot older than you, I'm 61 soon. So if I can do it, honestly, anyone can. I've not eaten sugary stuff for four or five months now (except for a chocolate muffin before my colonoscopy, I figured that the prep would do a lot more damage than one little bun, well, one enormous bun actually). I almost don't miss it now. To begin with, I wanted to snatch cakes out of people's hands and devour them!
Good for you x I know you can do it x I was one for drinking wine and I don't drink it now and takeaways I had too many and I don't need them now x just shows x mind you it's easier when you know you can't have them in case your health deteriorates x

fuzzy butterfly

Ye coeliac is easier. Crohns is a sod of a disease but we can get the better of it. As research n meds get better we have even more chance of a cure or at least something that really keeps it under control. As you are quite a bit younger than I you have more chance of that happening in your lifetime. I sure hope it happens in mine but defo hope it does in yours.
Are right so she has no bag now. I have not heard of the proceedure so i shall google that. I would have thought the bag would be less hassle but maybe im wrong there. I often am πŸ˜ƒ

Ye coeliac is easier. Crohns is a sod of a disease but we can get the better of it. As research n meds get better we have even more chance of a cure or at least something that really keeps it under control. As you are quite a bit younger than I you have more chance of that happening in your lifetime. I sure hope it happens in mine but defo hope it does in yours.
Are right so she has no bag now. I have not heard of the proceedure so i shall google that. I would have thought the bag would be less hassle but maybe im wrong there. I often am πŸ˜ƒ
I suppose it's the fact you don't have the bag permanently, she has a catheter that goes into the stoma and has a washout which means she is on the toilet for a few hours every other night x
I know there isn't a cure for crohns, I'm not sure if there will be for a long time but if I can feel better and get back to work that will help me x

fuzzy butterfly

No no cure yet as u say. But who knows maybe one one day !!.
Ah i see, that actualy seems as it may be easier. Not having to empty bag a few times a day. Tho the few hours seems a bigish task.
I hope you can too chic. You will be in my prayers as i ask for your wellness. πŸ’žπŸ’‹

fuzzy butterfly

Oh tell me about hollies i eat the same portion size as a bird n feel full looking at it. I so need to gain some weight but cant eat a lot n not really hungery most of the time. πŸ˜•πŸ’•

Yes I was told eat little often but even when I do that, doesn't help that you can't eat but your belly is smaller now so just won't let you, my specialist that I need to eat but just don't fancy it half the time 😊 I so fancy a korma but haven't eaten a curry for months now so not sure what it would do, mind you still on steroids at the moment so wouldn't really know if my tummy can take it 😩

I make big batches of soups and stews in my slow cooker and then freeze them for later in single serving containers. It's so easy just to dump some chicken/meat and veggies(the ones that agree with me) into the pot and walk away. There are lots of recipes on the internet and it's very easy to adapt/omit the ingredients to suite you.

I make big batches of soups and stews in my slow cooker and then freeze them for later in single serving containers. It's so easy just to dump some chicken/meat and veggies(the ones that agree with me) into the pot and walk away. There are lots of recipes on the internet and it's very easy to adapt/omit the ingredients to suite you.
Yeah that sounds easier, atleast you know what your actually putting in the soup 😊 My mum has just had a soup maker so I may try that πŸ™‚

Soup making machines are great. I make butternut squash soup, carrot soup, asparagus soup etc and just put potato in to thicken it. No onion unfortunately, as that disagrees with me (and many others with IBD I believe).