Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Called in sick, NO I cant come in and close!

02-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
tots

My Support Groups:
Called in sick, NO I cant come in and close!

Heres the deal, we as workers with IBD don't call in sick because we feel like a day at the beach- well, at least those of us who don't live near the beach, I could be talked into it though, we call in because we are sick. We cant wrap our brains
around the thought of spending another shift throwing up in the bathroom one more time. So no I will not be able to come in and close, thats why I am calling sick, I am sick. And I am sorry, you don't know how sorry I am..... to call in sick.

Lauren

Diagnosed= 1992 and again Feb 2012 Confirmed with
CT enterography May 2015 !!

Waiting for the ok from my Ins company to restart Remicade. Will also start Imuron to get into remission!
I know it's out there somewhere and I WILL find it!

:

Ok, my family Dr told me to cut down on the stress- a husband, 3 kids, and 3 dogs!
02-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am sorry for what you are going through, Lauren. I hope you get some relief soon. Prayers and support.
02-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Sounds familiar, gotta love it. Only difference here is I've used a day of my vacation time. Otherwise, I'm sure my manager would figure she could cut my hours down so I don't have enough for my medical insurance.

I hope things start turning around for you soon. Take care.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350

Last edited by Cross-stitch gal; 02-19-2016 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Had sick time on the brain. Actually used vacation...
02-19-2016, 05:55 AM   #4
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh Lauren, I so know what you mean, girl I dragged myself in to work in some really bad states, just because I couldn't afford to be off work and also to show them how bad I was. I really shouldn't have done that as I now believe it did me know favours, health wise and they didn't really care how I felt. Still think they thought I was faking it, was only after I had to have an op that I think they believed me.
I sure won't half kill myself nowadays, if I feel to unwell to go in, I won't be going in. Its all me me me now regarding my health. You rest up hun, hope you feel better soon. Much love, 💕Mandy

5yrs since dxd. 3yrs in remission.. in remission since march 2014, dxd july 2012, ileostomy march2014, reversed feb 2015 all's good so far
Mandy
02-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #5
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
How about....
"Well you look all right to me."
"I'm pleased I look all right, but I feel like **** inside."
"What do you mean... have you got a cold?"
"No... I've got Crohns disease."
Cue uncomprehending look from the Big Boss. The Big Boss was born on the planet Krypton and has never had a day's illness in his entire life. In fact, he can run faster than a speeding train and leap tall buildings in a single bound.
Lucky him!

I don't often post here, but one thing that really gets me going is Superboss syndrome. The last two years of my working life saw me going downhill, crohns-wise and energy-wise and it was made all the more unbearable by the arrival of the matchless Superguy.

Luckily, my eventual redundancy/early retirement (five years ago now) saw an end to this source of intense stress (although it took a couple of years before I really got over it).

My heart goes out to anyone who has to put up with this sort of stuff from colleagues and bosses (and even relatives, I'm afraid). We could all be so much more effective at work if we had some understanding, but it doesn't seem to be the way the world is going at the moment.
02-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #6
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh agent, super bosses are the best aren't they, my God I have s**t better than them types of folks.
I am just glad my new boss is a human being and has some compassion, not a unfeeling robot like my last one was. I
Here's to better days for us all
02-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
valb

My Support Groups:
My boss was the same!!! I looked like death all the time....so tired and weak. As a single mom I rarely took days off or called in sick but I do recall her telling me a few times..." my mom has Crohns and she just watches what she eats and she is fine". It made me so angry!! Well good for your mom!! Unfortunately I am on heavy duty meds, I can barely eat anything, I am in the bathroom most of the day and I am a single mom of 2 trying to raise them somehow!! I was also always very very cold in the office and always had on layers of sweaters and I would even bring in a bean bag to warm up in microwave and keep that on my lap. She would say to me "Put some meat on those bones if you are so cold!". She even called me spacey once in an evaluation meeting. Yes, I was/am often spacey as I am trying to deal or control the pain somehow or trying to suck up the need to throw up or trying to figure out how to make it to washroom without crapping myself!! I often went home crying. I quit after being off for 2 months for my full colectomy. She would have given me a tough time for being off all that time. People just don't understand and that's what makes me so angry. It is a very serious , very debilitating illness. I wish more people were supportive and understanding.
02-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Amen
02-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
tots

My Support Groups:
I know most of us deal with this frequently and it sucks. I used a "floating" holiday to cover
my hours. I then got a text message telling me, different than asking me, that she was moving my morning shift to a closing shift for Sat. First time ever I sent a text back and asked why? That seems more like a punishment for having been sick. She left me opening, i just feel like in some ways I have to sick up for myself and stop being so d*** apologetic that my disease is an inconvenience to anyone whomever they may be!

Thank you for all the support!
I knew everyone would shake their heads and say to themselves, yep been there!!!

Lauren
02-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sending support.

02-22-2016, 02:39 AM   #11
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Lauren, mmm doesn't it just. Has she explained why the change has been done... Ye sometimes we do have to put our foot down firmly when it comes to health, even if its not normally like us to be assertive. Glad you got to keep the early shift.
Sending support and hugs 💕💕love Mandy
02-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
tots

My Support Groups:
Thank you Mandy- she changed it because she was not happy I called in sick on Thursday.
Charming!

Lauren
02-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #13
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Thank you Mandy- she changed it because she was not happy I called in sick on Thursday.
Charming!

Lauren
Umm....in some states that may be illegal, especially if you have union representation.....

Glad it was changed back, I would still keep a record of it.

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
02-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #14
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sending support, Lauren.

02-23-2016, 02:34 AM   #15
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Charming!

Lauren
oh dear naughty girl,not you ..her. So childish of her eh !!
So she didnt like it you called in sick well i say tough s**t lady deal with it!!!☺
Love n hugs 💕💕
02-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #16
tots

My Support Groups:
Thank you!

Lauren
02-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #17
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am sorry she doesn't understand.

02-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #18
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Reading your other post it seems like you're between a rock and a hard place just now.
Hopefully things WILL get better.You have to hope so,otherwise THEY win and that's just wrong........ Don't let the b"$^*rds grind you down.
02-28-2016, 02:20 AM   #19
tots

My Support Groups:
Scottsma-

Thank you for the encourgment!

Right now I feel like physically and emotionally I have hit the wall. I know that while achieving remission any time soon is not likely I do know I will get through this and deal with all this in a better way. Feel a little bit stronger than I do now.

We all have ups and down and I try and be realistic about it !!
02-28-2016, 02:50 AM   #20
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi lauren,lifes a rollercoaster at the best of times. This crohns malarky just makes it the biggest,scariest,hardest ride . We have to hang on for dear life and be brave. Eventualy the ride has to stop,and we get to take a breath n re group. Hang on in there hun. This to will come to pass . 👣👣. Most of us have been in your shoes at some point. We understand and hope that things only get better for you hun. Lots of love and best wishes 💕💕💋💋 Mandy
02-28-2016, 02:56 AM   #21
tots

My Support Groups:
Thank you Mandy- I have the day off on Tuesday- I will be turning my phone off and laying in bed reading all day. Just hang out without trying to do all the housework and laundry. I am
sure things will even out after that. I am probably just overtired. It will be a me day!

Lauren
02-28-2016, 03:02 AM   #22
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You are most welcome love. Thats sounds like a good plan, just have a me day and sod everyone else. I do that myself when i get chance. It does do me good to give my brain a rest as well as my body. All the distractions of everyday life fry your brain even if we dont realise it. The brain needs a rest to, n i find that a duvet(me) day helps a lot. big hugs 💕💕💕

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Called in sick, NO I cant come in and close!