• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Called in sick, NO I cant come in and close!

Heres the deal, we as workers with IBD don't call in sick because we feel like a day at the beach- well, at least those of us who don't live near the beach, I could be talked into it though, we call in because we are sick. We cant wrap our brains
around the thought of spending another shift throwing up in the bathroom one more time. So no I will not be able to come in and close, thats why I am calling sick, I am sick. And I am sorry, you don't know how sorry I am..... to call in sick.

Lauren

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Sounds familiar, gotta love it. Only difference here is I've used a day of my vacation time. Otherwise, I'm sure my manager would figure she could cut my hours down so I don't have enough for my medical insurance.

I hope things start turning around for you soon. Take care. :)

Last edited:

fuzzy butterfly

Oh Lauren, I so know what you mean, girl I dragged myself in to work in some really bad states, just because I couldn't afford to be off work and also to show them how bad I was. I really shouldn't have done that as I now believe it did me know favours, health wise and they didn't really care how I felt. Still think they thought I was faking it, was only after I had to have an op that I think they believed me.
I sure won't half kill myself nowadays, if I feel to unwell to go in, I won't be going in. Its all me me me now regarding my health. You rest up hun, hope you feel better soon. Much love, ๐Ÿ’•Mandy

How about....
"Well you look all right to me."
"I'm pleased I look all right, but I feel like **** inside."
"What do you mean... have you got a cold?"
"No... I've got Crohns disease."
Cue uncomprehending look from the Big Boss. The Big Boss was born on the planet Krypton and has never had a day's illness in his entire life. In fact, he can run faster than a speeding train and leap tall buildings in a single bound.
Lucky him!

I don't often post here, but one thing that really gets me going is Superboss syndrome. The last two years of my working life saw me going downhill, crohns-wise and energy-wise and it was made all the more unbearable by the arrival of the matchless Superguy.

Luckily, my eventual redundancy/early retirement (five years ago now) saw an end to this source of intense stress (although it took a couple of years before I really got over it).

My heart goes out to anyone who has to put up with this sort of stuff from colleagues and bosses (and even relatives, I'm afraid). We could all be so much more effective at work if we had some understanding, but it doesn't seem to be the way the world is going at the moment.

fuzzy butterfly

Oh agent, super bosses are the best aren't they, my God I have s**t better than them types of folks.
I am just glad my new boss is a human being and has some compassion, not a unfeeling robot like my last one was. I
Here's to better days for us all :drink:

My boss was the same!!! I looked like death all the time....so tired and weak. As a single mom I rarely took days off or called in sick but I do recall her telling me a few times..." my mom has Crohns and she just watches what she eats and she is fine". It made me so angry!! Well good for your mom!! Unfortunately I am on heavy duty meds, I can barely eat anything, I am in the bathroom most of the day and I am a single mom of 2 trying to raise them somehow!! I was also always very very cold in the office and always had on layers of sweaters and I would even bring in a bean bag to warm up in microwave and keep that on my lap. She would say to me "Put some meat on those bones if you are so cold!". She even called me spacey once in an evaluation meeting. Yes, I was/am often spacey as I am trying to deal or control the pain somehow or trying to suck up the need to throw up or trying to figure out how to make it to washroom without crapping myself!! I often went home crying. I quit after being off for 2 months for my full colectomy. She would have given me a tough time for being off all that time. People just don't understand and that's what makes me so angry. It is a very serious , very debilitating illness. I wish more people were supportive and understanding.

I know most of us deal with this frequently and it sucks. I used a "floating" holiday to cover
my hours. I then got a text message telling me, different than asking me, that she was moving my morning shift to a closing shift for Sat. First time ever I sent a text back and asked why? That seems more like a punishment for having been sick. She left me opening, i just feel like in some ways I have to sick up for myself and stop being so d*** apologetic that my disease is an inconvenience to anyone whomever they may be!

Thank you for all the support!
I knew everyone would shake their heads and say to themselves, yep been there!!!

Lauren

fuzzy butterfly

Hi Lauren, mmm doesn't it just. Has she explained why the change has been done... Ye sometimes we do have to put our foot down firmly when it comes to health, even if its not normally like us to be assertive. Glad you got to keep the early shift.
Sending support and hugs ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•love Mandy

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thank you Mandy- she changed it because she was not happy I called in sick on Thursday.
Charming!

Lauren
Umm....in some states that may be illegal, especially if you have union representation.....

Glad it was changed back, I would still keep a record of it.

fuzzy butterfly

Thank you Mandy- she changed it because she was not happy I called in sick on Thursday.
Charming!

Lauren
oh dear naughty girl,not you ..her. So childish of her eh !!
So she didnt like it you called in sick well i say tough s**t lady deal with it!!!โ˜บ
Love n hugs ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

scottsma

Reading your other post it seems like you're between a rock and a hard place just now.
Hopefully things WILL get better.You have to hope so,otherwise THEY win and that's just wrong........ Don't let the b"$^*rds grind you down.:ghug:

Scottsma-

Thank you for the encourgment!

Right now I feel like physically and emotionally I have hit the wall. I know that while achieving remission any time soon is not likely I do know I will get through this and deal with all this in a better way. Feel a little bit stronger than I do now.

We all have ups and down and I try and be realistic about it !!

fuzzy butterfly

Hi lauren,lifes a rollercoaster at the best of times. This crohns malarky just makes it the biggest,scariest,hardest ride . We have to hang on for dear life and be brave. Eventualy the ride has to stop,and we get to take a breath n re group. Hang on in there hun. This to will come to pass . ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿ‘ฃ. Most of us have been in your shoes at some point. We understand and hope that things only get better for you hun. Lots of love and best wishes ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹ Mandy

Thank you Mandy- I have the day off on Tuesday- I will be turning my phone off and laying in bed reading all day. Just hang out without trying to do all the housework and laundry. I am
sure things will even out after that. I am probably just overtired. It will be a me day!

Lauren

fuzzy butterfly

You are most welcome love. Thats sounds like a good plan, just have a me day and sod everyone else. I do that myself when i get chance. It does do me good to give my brain a rest as well as my body. All the distractions of everyday life fry your brain even if we dont realise it. The brain needs a rest to, n i find that a duvet(me) day helps a lot. big hugs ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•:hug: