• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cost of colonoscopy

My adult son had a colonoscopy in California Berkeley last month, after I received his medical bill I was so surprised that the cost in California is more than doubled of Washington state, total cost this time is more than $5000,maybe even more because I saw our insurance explanation showed there is $1500 anesthetic had been denied by insurance. The facility only they charged $2700, I questioned insurance and was told it's legitimate for them to charge this much, the rate is already negotiated down. last time he had MRI in California also cost more than$5000, we need pay coinsurance 20%, which is a lot. I wonder anyone live in California know how much your colonoscopy cost?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I honestly don't know because I have Medicaid which covers 100% of all costs minus $5 for ER trips. If you were told that your insurance would cover the anesthetic prior to the test then I'd try and get the insurance company to cover it especially if it was the insurance company who told you that it would be covered.

I just looked up the cost of my colonoscopy I had past October(numbers below). I met my out of pocket max that year so I paid $0. Although about 8-9 years ago when I had an 80/20 insurance plan I had to pay $300 of a $3,000 colonoscopy bill. I would say $5,000 is on the high end. See if you can get a negotiated insurance rate for the $1,500 anesthesia bill. That one seems very high-especially for a quick procedure like a colonoscopy where he is not fully out just sedated. I would argue with the insurance that the anesthesia is medically necessary-does he have ulcerations or strictures that would cause pain during the colonoscopy?

Costs:
Anesthesia $480 negotiated rate=$382
Colonsocopy $2785 negotiated rate=$1245
Doc bill $1141 negotiated rate $197

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm not sure about your insurance. But, with mine my colonoscopy will mostly be covered for me and I'll only be paying a little (if I'm not in a flare). But, if I'm in a flare I'll be paying the whole thing. The difference is whether if it is preventative or treatment. I'm wondering if they either found something or if he might be in a flare.

This is why I've been waiting to have mine this year because I've been in a flare.

I'm not sure about your insurance. But, with mine my colonoscopy will mostly be covered for me and I'll only be paying a little (if I'm not in a flare). But, if I'm in a flare I'll be paying the whole thing. The difference is whether if it is preventative or treatment. I'm wondering if they either found something or if he might be in a flare.

This is why I've been waiting to have mine this year because I've been in a flare.
That is so odd to me. Do they not have a "diagnostic" category, just preventative or treatment?

(Then again the whole US healthcare system is a mystery to me, here a colonoscopy without insurance would cost 500-600 dollars total).

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
As far as I know we only have preventative or treatment in my insurance. I've also found that if I happen to need a colonoscopy it's required to get a referral beforehand as well. I should know soon if I need a colonoscopy by the end of the year though. I'm needing a refill of my medication and they're having to contact my GI for approval...