Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Admission about steroids

06-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
EvieBaby

My Support Groups:
Admission about steroids

Since I was started on Infliximab I've struggled so much to lose weight. I've done all the weights watchers and diet plans, counted calories etc and have never been able to lose more than 4/5 pounds before putting it back on again. I've been asking for nearly 2 years if there is a steroid in this medication, and was told no.

When they put the needle in my hand it gets flushed out as usual and then something gets injected in. I've been told it's various different things and have literally never been able to get a straight answer.

At my last infusion as the nurse did it she said quietly "just popping the steroid in". When I questioned it she started to back track.

Does anyone at all know if there is any kind of steroid involved in these infusions? I'm so sick of never being able to be told straight and my efforts to lose weight are really getting me down because they are failing so bad!

06-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Tuff

My Support Groups:
It all depends on what your doctor ordered. Some people get Tylenol, Benadryl etc. My doctor ordered a steroid. I've been getting it with my Remicade for two years. I have managed to lose 25 lbs in the past year, so I don't think it has that much of an effect. Probably wears off in a day or two.

Stelara, Warfarin, calcium, Vitamins B12, D.
Previously: 5-Asa, Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone, Aza, Remicade.
Pulmonary Embolism, DVT's, osteopenia, Peripheral neuropathy.
06-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Scipio

My Support Groups:
The ingredients listed in the labeling are:

The active ingredient is Infliximab. The inactive ingredients in REMICADE include: sucrose, polysorbate 80, monobasic sodium phosphate monohydrate, and dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate. No preservatives are present.

None of these are steroids. That doesn't mean it's not making your weight struggle harder in some way, but it's just not due to the usual weight gain caused by steroids.

Is it possible that your doc is giving you both infliximab and a steroid? infliximab is often given in tandem with immunosuppressants such as azathioprine or 6mp but maybe he's trying a steroid instead.
06-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Clash
Forum Monitor

Some GIs will prescribe solumedrol before the infusion, some benedryl some just flush and give infusion.

My son only had remicade infusion with nothing else until he had a reaction to the remicade the GI then tried a solumedrol run before remicade.

My little penguin can give more info about this. But they generally tell you if they are giving solumedrol before the infusion.

The solumedrol didn't stop my son's reactions nor did it give him the common steroid side effects since infused so infrequently.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
06-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Tuff

My Support Groups:
They didn't tell me, I asked. They're given to prevent allergic reactions.
06-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #6
Bunty

For my first three loading doses I was still on oral steroids so didn't have the pre infusion steroid injection. Since then I've had it every time, as has everyone else who's had the infusion at the same time as me. I'm given oral piriton too. Infliximab itself doesn't contain any steroid.
I didn't need to ask, the nurse told me, and as Tuff says they're given to prevent allergic reactions. It's such a small amount I very much doubt it has any bearing on your lack of weight loss. I'm not sure why your nurse would be so uninformative and vague, mine are great and explain every little thing.
I've been following the slimming world diet and have lost 12lbs in three months whilst also having infliximab infusions and steroid jabs. Maybe give SW a try? I don't know anyone who has followed SW properly who hasn't lost weight.
Bunty x
06-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
J_Matrix

For my first three loading doses I was still on oral steroids so didn't have the pre infusion steroid injection. Since then I've had it every time, as has everyone else who's had the infusion at the same time as me. I'm given oral piriton too. Infliximab itself doesn't contain any steroid.
I didn't need to ask, the nurse told me, and as Tuff says they're given to prevent allergic reactions. It's such a small amount I very much doubt it has any bearing on your lack of weight loss. I'm not sure why your nurse would be so uninformative and vague, mine are great and explain every little thing.
I've been following the slimming world diet and have lost 12lbs in three months whilst also having infliximab infusions and steroid jabs. Maybe give SW a try? I don't know anyone who has followed SW properly who hasn't lost weight.
Bunty x
Yes Bunty is correct.

I had Infliximab infusions for 3 years and each infusion was preceeded with a shot of Hydrocortisone administered in the same line as the Infliximab, this was to prevent any allergic reactions that the Infliximab might cause.
As it happened, After 3 years I started to develop antibodies to the infusion and exactly 15 minutes after the infusion started I would go bright red and my ears would feel like they were burning. This would last for a few minutes and then pass.
I was taken off the Infliximab and now on Humira fornightly shots.
I hope things work out well for you

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Admission about steroids