Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Positive TB Skin Test. Now what?

07-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
amita

Positive TB Skin Test. Now what?

I recently had a TB skin test because I suppose it is mandatory to have one prior to trying to get on remicade.

My test came back positive. Not sure if that means I have latent TB, or have simply been exposed to TB at some point.

first, have any of you had this? Did it preclude you from obtaining a remicade script?

if you had a positive test, did you get treated for TB prior to getting on remicade?

second, does anyone know whether the latent TB could mimic crohn's, meaning I don't have crohn's but the TB test found MAP (mycobaterium avian subspecies paratuberculoisis)?
07-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Have you talked to your GI since the positive test for TB?
07-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Scipio

My Support Groups:
Have you ever been given the BCG tuberculosis vaccine? It is commonly used in some countries in Asia and Europe an in high risk populations in Canada. It is not normally used in the US. Since it is unclear how well the vaccine actually works, the health authorities in the US prefer to control TB through public health measures and antibiotics.

In any case, if you were given the vaccine at any point it will make you test positive in the TB test even though you aren't infected with live TB bacteria. So I suggest you consider this point and inform your doctor whether you ever did or did not receive that vaccine.
07-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
firebob

I bet you looking at a chest x-ray and passably a TB Gold blood test (3 tinny tubes). If one of those show up positive than you looking a trip to an infectious disease doc. It takes a lot to get TB.

TB would be a lung issue not GI issues.

I was treated for TB back in 2005 way before i know i had crohns. It was 1 pill a day for 8 months with blood test every 3 months.
07-12-2016, 01:23 AM   #5
Bunty

Scipio, I'm not sure that's accurate.
I had the BCG jab in my teens, as we all did here in the UK in those days, the 1960s. My pre infliximab TB test last year came back negative and I was able to start the infusions immediately.
Amita, I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions but wish you well.
Bunty x
07-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #6
MEgal

Scipio, I'm not sure that's accurate.
I had the BCG jab in my teens, as we all did here in the UK in those days, the 1960s. My pre infliximab TB test last year came back negative and I was able to start the infusions immediately.
Amita, I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions but wish you well.
Bunty x
The BCG just means the skin test will come back positive, not necessarily the quantiferon gold test:/

Also, my PPD (skin test) always came back positive, but the blood test never has...some people are just sensitive to the solution they use in the PPD, so don't panic yet!

This has gotten me through many bad days and hospital stays:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=37266

Tried:
Pentasa, Apriso, Budesonide, Pred, Asacor,
Now on:
tramadol, zofran, budesonide, protonix, Humira
07-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
FrozenGirl

It is possibly latent tb however you will need to be treated for it because Remicade can reactivate latent tb. I'm not sure about treatment for it but some docs will let you start on Remicade before you have completed the whole treatment. However it may also be a false positive so you will probably have to get a blood test and chest X-ray.

I have heard there is such thing as intestinal tb that has very similar symptoms to Crohns. Here's a journal article on it if you are interested: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...1/#!po=5.00000
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
07-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
Scipio

My Support Groups:
http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/...c#.V4Ua1zHn-9I

Excerpt from the paper:

"Therefore in industrialized countries, the major effect of BCG vaccination in TB control programs involves tuberculin skin testing, the predominant method of detecting latent TB infection (LTBI) in persons at risk and identifying candidates for treatment of LTBI (4). BCG vaccination results in reactive tuberculin skin tests (TSTs) in many recipients, thereby creating the potential for confusion in interpretation; there is no reliable method to distinguish a true-positive TST due to infection versus a false-positive test from prior vaccination (5)."
07-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #9
Bunty

Thanks for the info, always good to learn more about all this stuff
Bunty x

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Positive TB Skin Test. Now what?