Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » New Formulation of Humira

06-26-2016, 01:03 AM   #1
Tommy21bn

My Support Groups:
New Formulation of Humira

Hi All,

Has everyone received the letter explaing the reformulation of Humira and the removal of Citrate? It should be just as effective with less liquid and the removal of the ingredients that make it sting.

Fingers cross for the new supply of them.
06-26-2016, 01:34 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I haven't seen it yet but I hope it does just as well or better.
06-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
firebob

I read that they had a new formulation out, but were testing it over seas. All i remember is that it was going to have a different PH and it was going to help with the pain.
07-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
Tony H

I live in Ireland and have just taken the new formulation for the third time today and can confirm it is painless , the pen injects faster and there is no pain whatsoever , the injection site is a little sore afterwards but the pain has gone .

emazole 40mg daily
07-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
JackG

My Support Groups:
I just took my bi-weekly shot yesterday and I have noticed that the last few times have been easier and less painful. They were never terrible, but now are even less so.
Present: Humira
07-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
New formulation of humira is available in Europe
It is not available in the US until summer 2017
07-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
IrishLad

I'm taking the new formula in Ireland the last two months.

It's definitely much less painful you can barely feel the injection now, first time I took it I couldn't feel anything at taught the pen was a dud.

I do notice a few hives around the injection site now but they disappear after a few hours after injecting.
07-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
JackG

My Support Groups:
If the new formula is not available in the US, I'm either getting more used to the stick, or it's the power of suggestion. After several years, during the last month or two the shots somehow haven't felt the same.
07-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
Lowrider

If the new formula is not available in the US, I'm either getting more used to the stick, or it's the power of suggestion. After several years, during the last month or two the shots somehow haven't felt the same.

I haven't had any pain either the last month or so I've noticed. I take it in the thigh at that.
08-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
hcrum87hc

My Support Groups:
I can relate with those using the standard pens and having little to no pain. I injected just yesterday and literally had no pain. I would have thought the pen didn't work if I didn't see a tiny drop of blood on my thigh.

Officially diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in June, 2014 2 weeks before 27th birthday after ER visit due to partial blockage (stricture).

Current Meds:
Humira-40 mg every other week
Imuran-150 mg/day

Surgeries: Ileocecectomy 7/13/16 removed 60cm of small intestines.

Status: All inflamed and strictured intestines removed. All remaining intestines are currently healthy.
10-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #11
Ryansmith63

I have not received the letter regarding the new formulation. Can someone post it here? Or as an attachment? Anyone know why it was changed?
10-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
Clash
Forum Monitor

I don't have the letter but the reason for the change is an effort to make the injections less painful. It's something about lowering the pH to help with that if I remember correctly
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
10-21-2016, 09:26 PM   #13
Scaryman
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I know that Abbvie was working on this for 4 years. Good to see its in mass production.
Remicade- failed with infusion reaction.
Mesalamine-another failure
Entecourt - fail- no help.
currently on Methotrexate 25mg and Humira combo.
Folic Acid Supplement
Hyclosomine,Ultram,vicoden for pain as needed
Extended right Hemocolectomy 5/24/13 Univ.Of Chicago
11/7/13- small crohns ulcer at surgical site (active).
10-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #14
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good news

10-22-2016, 02:44 AM   #15
CeeCeeGo
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have used about four of the new pens and cannot feel a thing. It does make you think you have not injected yourself - thank god for the yellow bar!

Re: the letter. I did have it but threw it away after two shots. It came about four weeks before they sent me the new formulation. All I can remember was that it said about the pens are slightly smaller, have less liquid and that the citrate had been removed (which was the bit that causes the pain).

DX - June 2012 with mild/moderate Crohns. In July 2012 bowel perforated unexpectedly and needed emergency surgery.
Current meds/supplements - Budesonide (reducing dose over 3 months), B12 injections (every 10 wks), Vit D tabs 800iu x daily, Ferrous Sulphate 200mg every day, Folic Acid once a week
Previous meds - Allergic to Azathioprine, 6MP, Pentasa & Asacol, Methotrexate injections (didn't work). Stopped Humira after 2 years due to ineffectiveness.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » New Formulation of Humira