• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hypertrophic Tonsils or Tonsillitis

I've mentioned before that I've seen both an ENT and a GP about my tonsils. Over a year ago, I noticed that I was having some throat irritation and wondered if it was red/inflamed. When I shined a flashlight back there, I noticed that my tonsils were full of holes and debris had collected to form tonsil stones. They looked very similar to what my mom's tonsils looked like before she had them removed. I have a very sensitive gag reflex, so I was never able to remove the stones. My former GP prescribed Zithromax but she, herself, said it probably wouldn't work. I took it, albeit reluctantly, and it did not help at all. I read several websites stating that carbonation could help, so I decided to try sparkling water and, sure enough, that dissolved the stones to such an extent that my tonsils were pretty much cleaned out. I've been drinking carbonated drinks on a regular basis to keep stuff from accumulating in there. I still have a chronic cough, however.

The ENT I saw was of no help. He was actually VERY rude and dismissive. I practically had to beg him to look at my throat and he gave me a hard time about it (he said, "What do you expect me to find back there that you haven't already told me about?"). What a jerk. I told my new GP when I saw her for the first time in April about my terrible encounter and she was very irritated that he didn't help me. She gave me a referral to another ENT, but I have really been trying to figure out my GI symptoms, so I haven't seen him since my throat isn't sore and I have the stones under control. One of these days, I hope to have the tonsils removed.

Anyway, it occurred to me - what if the tonsils are somehow related to my GI symptoms? I thought back and I remember telling my former GP about my right upper quadrant pain during the same visit when she prescribed the antibiotics. She thought my pain was related to my gallbladder - 3 doctors, total, have thought the same. My gallbladder is normal, however, so my GI is trying to figure out where it's coming from. I had my colonoscopy on Wednesday and I'm awaiting the results.

Has anyone had a manifestation of IBD in their tonsils? I know Crohn's can develop anywhere in the GI tract from your mouth to your anus. Thanks for any insight. :)

I don't know but it seems like inflammation could hit any section of the body. There is a section in here called Extra Intestinal Manifestations. You might try asking there as well.

I have noticed that I get tonsil stones when I get above a certain amount of magnesium. I can take the amount contained in my multivitamin, but if I add another individual mag supplement the stones start up. I can extract them, but to get a couple a week is excessive.

Yes,Crohns certainly can affect the mouth and tonsils as well.

The gag reflex will go away the more you remove them. At first I had a hard time with it. After a while it became much easier.

Dan

I've mentioned before that I've seen both an ENT and a GP about my tonsils. Over a year ago, I noticed that I was having some throat irritation and wondered if it was red/inflamed. When I shined a flashlight back there, I noticed that my tonsils were full of holes and debris had collected to form tonsil stones. They looked very similar to what my mom's tonsils looked like before she had them removed. I have a very sensitive gag reflex, so I was never able to remove the stones. My former GP prescribed Zithromax but she, herself, said it probably wouldn't work. I took it, albeit reluctantly, and it did not help at all. I read several websites stating that carbonation could help, so I decided to try sparkling water and, sure enough, that dissolved the stones to such an extent that my tonsils were pretty much cleaned out. I've been drinking carbonated drinks on a regular basis to keep stuff from accumulating in there. I still have a chronic cough, however.

The ENT I saw was of no help. He was actually VERY rude and dismissive. I practically had to beg him to look at my throat and he gave me a hard time about it (he said, "What do you expect me to find back there that you haven't already told me about?"). What a jerk. I told my new GP when I saw her for the first time in April about my terrible encounter and she was very irritated that he didn't help me. She gave me a referral to another ENT, but I have really been trying to figure out my GI symptoms, so I haven't seen him since my throat isn't sore and I have the stones under control. One of these days, I hope to have the tonsils removed.

Anyway, it occurred to me - what if the tonsils are somehow related to my GI symptoms? I thought back and I remember telling my former GP about my right upper quadrant pain during the same visit when she prescribed the antibiotics. She thought my pain was related to my gallbladder - 3 doctors, total, have thought the same. My gallbladder is normal, however, so my GI is trying to figure out where it's coming from. I had my colonoscopy on Wednesday and I'm awaiting the results.

Has anyone had a manifestation of IBD in their tonsils? I know Crohn's can develop anywhere in the GI tract from your mouth to your anus. Thanks for any insight. :)
My son is always telling me he has tonsil stones, he diagnosed himself. I brought him to an ENT and had similar experience, but he was more aggressive. The dr sprayed something up his nose and started a endoscopy through his nose to his throat, I was in the room the whole time and was so freaked out by how this dr quickly started doing this to my son without any consent. After the scope he said he couldn't find any tonsil stones and had no idea what my son is spitting out of his throat. He had esophagitis and I feel that it must be linked. Gargling with warm salt water helps him a bit.

My son is always telling me he has tonsil stones, he diagnosed himself. I brought him to an ENT and had similar experience, but he was more aggressive. The dr sprayed something up his nose and started a endoscopy through his nose to his throat, I was in the room the whole time and was so freaked out by how this dr quickly started doing this to my son without any consent. After the scope he said he couldn't find any tonsil stones and had no idea what my son is spitting out of his throat. He has esophagitis and I feel that it must be linked. Gargling with warm salt water helps him a bit.