Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Must fecal calprotectin be taken during a flare up?

07-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
max1337

Must fecal calprotectin be taken during a flare up?

hello,
i have had disturbing symptoms for the past few months including diarrhea, abdominal pain, urgent need to use the bathroom, black parts in stools (which according to my understanding can mean blood), and even clear blood and oil (mucus?) in the stools once or twice.

these symptoms come in flare ups (which i understand is common in IBDs) which usually last a few days to a few weeks, after which i have remission periods with no symptoms at all (and solid bowel movements).

after seeing the doctor and telling him my symptoms, i had a sigmoendoscopy test which came out fine and ruled out the possibility of ulcerative colitis. i was instructed by my doctor to perform a fecal calprotectin test to see if i should or should not do a colonoscopy to test for crohn's.

the problem is, i am currently in a remission with solid stools and no symptoms. i am afraid that this might affect the outcome of the test, meaning high calprotectin levels wont show up even if i do have crohns because the inflammation might currently be subsided.

is this the case? do i need to wait for a flare up and diarrhea for a proper calprotectin test? thanks in advance.
07-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Not sure. I will tag Clash.
07-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
Clash
Forum Monitor

It would depend on if you still had simmering inflammation during your periods of no symptoms.

My son has been asymptomatic for some time yet he has inflammation throughout his colon parts of his terminal ileum.

I know there are kids(sorry spend most of my time in the parents forum) that when they are not experiencing symptoms and not in an acute flare their FC result can be normal. Others can be asymptomatic and have a higher than normal FC result.

But this is the difference in using FC to monitor already established dx and using FC to determine if more invasive tests are warranted. Regardless of the result if you continue to have symptoms push for the scope as a sigmoidoscopy really doesn't show much.

Good luck
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
07-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
max1337

thanks for the quick response,
i think my doctor's intention is to skip colonoscopy if FC comes out ok. should i ask him about it and tell him that im currently in remission? i just dont want to be diagnosed with IBS without being absolutely certain that crohn's is off the table.
07-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ds has normal FC even with crohns ( less than 15 ) when he is not in a flare
07-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
max1337

excuse my ignorance, but whats ds and dx?
07-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
thanks for the quick response,
i think my doctor's intention is to skip colonoscopy if FC comes out ok. should i ask him about it and tell him that im currently in remission? i just dont want to be diagnosed with IBS without being absolutely certain that crohn's is off the table.
Have they done an enterography?

07-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
Clash
Forum Monitor

max1337 DS and dx are just our shorthand. So MLP used DS (darling son) so as to not use kids name and dx is short hand for diagnosis.
07-29-2016, 03:44 AM   #9
lenny
My son's numbers were only ever elevated when he was feeling terrible.
07-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
Even when i had lots of ulcers in my terminal ileum my FC was only 65. My most recent one was 60 and I still feel crap.

2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

DX with perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum) and coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
75mg azathioprine
Gluten-free diet
07-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
max1337

got it. ill ask my doctor before i take the test. and by the way, i didnt go through an enterography, just differential diagnosis and sigmoendoscopy.

i really appreciate all the help, thanks
07-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #12
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Welcome

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Must fecal calprotectin be taken during a flare up?