Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Fired because of Crohns

07-27-2016, 05:36 AM   #1
superdad

Fired because of Crohns

Long story short, I was off work since April due to lots of testing and loosing 60lbs under the advice of my doctor I went on short term disability, ended up having surgery June 14th and had 2' of small intestine removed. Always kept in contact with my managers and HR on my recovery. On July 17th I went into work to talk to managers and find out what I would need from my doctor to return to work. I was set to go back 7/26. They said I need a doctors note.

Went to the doctors on 7/19 and got a note to return to work with a 20lbs weight restriction for the first 2 weeks then no restrictions. Called HR on 7/21 to also let them know. HR said she will have to call the managers to discuss my return. On 7/24 I received a text from the manager saying due to my health condition and talking to HR and with the weight restriction no need to come in on Tuesday and the HR is sending me a letter stating the company's position.

I received the letter yesterday and said due to my health condition and the weight restriction they are unable to accommodate me and they can not hold my job.

I called a couple lawyers and was told I had to go through an investigation process with the employment office. Went down and filed a complaint that they violated the ADA and retaliation suite. Which could take 6-8 months to complete.

They violated the ADA because they flat out refused me to return to work and provide reasonable accommodations. Remind you all I was asking for was a 20lbs weight restriction for the first 2 weeks.

DON'T let people push you around!! WE HAVE RIGHTS!!! In my 31 years dealing with Crohns I have never had this happen.
07-27-2016, 05:40 AM   #2
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
Absolutely shocking and definitely illegal. Pursue this all the way!

History:
2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 08/2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 12/2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

Diagnosis:
Perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum)
Coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
50mg azathioprine (down from 75mg after my WBC dropped)
Gluten-free diet
07-27-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
superdad

Oh I plan on it, the funny thing, there's no need to hold my job, I was willing to come back. I do maintenance for an apt complex. So in a day to day work there's nothing to lift over 20lbs. My manager and HR was always asking when I would return to work. Like they really missed me HAHAHA
07-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #4
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did you file for continous FMLA when you were first out ?
It can be filed and dated typically a few days after you started to need it .
I have done this with unexpected hospital stays for Ds .
Intermittent FMLA is good to have just for testing and doc appts

Good luck
07-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
superdad

I didn't need to, I used my PTO till the short term kicked in.
07-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am sorry for what happened to you. It was wrong. Sending support.
07-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
superdad

Filed my complaint with the state, have to go through the state first before I can hire a lawyer and sue. Of course the company could settle out of court. I was told this process can take up to 6-8 months. Which I don't care how long it takes. Filed complaint for violation of ADA and retaliation. Not sure what will come of it but I did talk to a couple lawyers and between the text and letter they mailed me it is a clear violation. Hmmmm can you say 500K? LOL
07-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Filed my complaint with the state, have to go through the state first before I can hire a lawyer and sue. Of course the company could settle out of court. I was told this process can take up to 6-8 months. Which I don't care how long it takes. Filed complaint for violation of ADA and retaliation. Not sure what will come of it but I did talk to a couple lawyers and between the text and letter they mailed me it is a clear violation. Hmmmm can you say 500K? LOL
Best to you

08-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Sorry this is happening to you. Unbelievable.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Fired because of Crohns