Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » What to expect with azathioprine?

08-25-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
Badtummy4

What to expect with azathioprine?

Hi, so I'm starting azathioprine on Wednesday and I'm a bit worried about the side affects. Which side affects are normal and which are bad? Also I know it takes a few months to start working but how many exactly would it take?
08-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
Depends on your dose. I did a week on 25mg, then moved up to 50mg where I have remained. I experienced no side effects except I recommend avoiding alcohol (or drinking only in moderation). The hangovers are amplified x 100 and I think it is dangerous for your liver. I also find if I overdo things (such as nights out with friends, even if I am not drinking) I seem to come down with illness very easily and a cold that in the past may have lasted a day, would take a week to clear.

Most people experience nausea when they take azathioprine but this usually passes and I was fortunate enough not to experience it at all (probably due to my low dose).

Symptoms to watch out for are extreme pain in the centre of your abdomen - a rare side effect called pancreatitis, which requires immediate hospital attention.

Make sure you get your required blood tests (usually weekly for a while, then every two weeks, then every month, then every 3 months etc). This is to check the medication isn't making you unwell.

History:
2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 08/2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 12/2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

Diagnosis:
Perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum)
Coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
50mg azathioprine (down from 75mg after my WBC dropped)
Gluten-free diet
08-26-2016, 03:21 AM   #3
jthommo

Hi BT4
For me, aza has been a wonderful drug. After my diagnosis 6 years ago with the usual pain, watery stools, blood and mucus I was put on to aza at 2mg/kg. I've been good ever since - perhaps some fatigue.

Cheers, Thommo
08-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
Badtummy4

Hi BT4
For me, aza has been a wonderful drug. After my diagnosis 6 years ago with the usual pain, watery stools, blood and mucus I was put on to aza at 2mg/kg. I've been good ever since - perhaps some fatigue.

Cheers, Thommo
How long did it take to work?
08-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
It is supposed to take 3-6 months to work. For some people it can take more, some less.
08-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
I felt a bit light headed after taking them the first couple of days. After that nothing's happened, good or bad. 4 months so far.
08-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #7
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
Every drug can cause adverse reactions but generally aza is a well-tolerated drug for many.

Stelara; Uceris; Lansoprazole; Domperidone.

Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Azathioprine, Methotrexate, Sulfasalazine, Entocort, Uceris, Prednisolone, TPN, EEN, different alternative treatments.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » What to expect with azathioprine?