Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » What to expect with azathioprine?

08-25-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
Badtummy4

What to expect with azathioprine?

Hi, so I'm starting azathioprine on Wednesday and I'm a bit worried about the side affects. Which side affects are normal and which are bad? Also I know it takes a few months to start working but how many exactly would it take?
08-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
Depends on your dose. I did a week on 25mg, then moved up to 50mg where I have remained. I experienced no side effects except I recommend avoiding alcohol (or drinking only in moderation). The hangovers are amplified x 100 and I think it is dangerous for your liver. I also find if I overdo things (such as nights out with friends, even if I am not drinking) I seem to come down with illness very easily and a cold that in the past may have lasted a day, would take a week to clear.

Most people experience nausea when they take azathioprine but this usually passes and I was fortunate enough not to experience it at all (probably due to my low dose).

Symptoms to watch out for are extreme pain in the centre of your abdomen - a rare side effect called pancreatitis, which requires immediate hospital attention.

Make sure you get your required blood tests (usually weekly for a while, then every two weeks, then every month, then every 3 months etc). This is to check the medication isn't making you unwell.

2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

DX with perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum) and coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
75mg azathioprine
Gluten-free diet
08-26-2016, 03:21 AM   #3
jthommo

Hi BT4
For me, aza has been a wonderful drug. After my diagnosis 6 years ago with the usual pain, watery stools, blood and mucus I was put on to aza at 2mg/kg. I've been good ever since - perhaps some fatigue.

Cheers, Thommo
08-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
Badtummy4

Hi BT4
For me, aza has been a wonderful drug. After my diagnosis 6 years ago with the usual pain, watery stools, blood and mucus I was put on to aza at 2mg/kg. I've been good ever since - perhaps some fatigue.

Cheers, Thommo
How long did it take to work?
08-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
It is supposed to take 3-6 months to work. For some people it can take more, some less.
08-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
I felt a bit light headed after taking them the first couple of days. After that nothing's happened, good or bad. 4 months so far.
08-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #7
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
Every drug can cause adverse reactions but generally aza is a well-tolerated drug for many.

Stelara; Uceris; Lansoprazole; Domperidone.

Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Azathioprine, Methotrexate, Sulfasalazine, Entocort, Uceris, Prednisolone, TPN, EEN, different alternative treatments.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » What to expect with azathioprine?