Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group

09-28-2016, 05:51 AM   #481
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
That's miserable, SteffieB! What is causing the obstructions? Is surgery a possibility?

I had a bunch of partial obstructions and thankfully never threw up or ended up with an NG tube. Feeling smooch better after a resection in July.

Seton placement (2) and fistulotomy December 2013. Setons removed July 2014.

Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy July 2016, 25 cms removed

Current meds: Entyvio every 8 weeks, Imuran 50 mg, Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg twice a day
Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Pentasa, Sulphasalazine, Entocort, Stelara, Methotrexate, Prednisone
09-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #482
jonique

My Support Groups:
That's miserable, SteffieB! What is causing the obstructions? Is surgery a possibility?

I had a bunch of partial obstructions and thankfully never threw up or ended up with an NG tube. Feeling smooch better after a resection in July.
Did you have laparoscopic or open resection? I'm having open in a couple of weeks. Worrying about the NG tube as I had one 20 years ago and hated it.

Migraines
Moderate Fatty Liver

Meds:
5-ASA (Salofalk)
Celebrex
Omeprazole

Previous meds:
Stellara, Cimzia, Simoni, Remade, Humira, Methotrexate, Entocort, Sulfasalazine

Surgery:
1. laparotomy 1986 - Dx Crohn's Disease
2. small bowel resection 1995
3. small bowel resection 2016
10-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #483
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did you have laparoscopic or open resection? I'm having open in a couple of weeks. Worrying about the NG tube as I had one 20 years ago and hated it.
I had a combination laparoscopic/open surgery for my resection. I hope it goes well for you.

11-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #484
wnorm

My Support Groups:
Hi. I am a newbie to this support group. It looks amazing. I hope I'm posting in the right place.
I am 64 and have collagenous colitis and mastocytic enterocolitis. My d-predominant c.colitis went undiagnosed or treated for ~20 years. In 2013, I had uterine cancer. I'm ok. The surgery was enough to stop it.However, it caused pelvic floor issues. In May/2015 I had Altemeier perianal rectal prolapse surgery. It failed not too long after. In Sept/2016 I had laparoscopy ventral rectoplexy with no resection. It failed 5 days after the procedure. I am waiting for a bowel motility test. It is not available privately in the entire province.
Because of the long waits for surgery and the dysfunction associated with having a prolapse, my severe longterm diarrhea changed completely to severe constipation. I have had to do a 1.5 litre water enema virtually every day since June 2015. In October 2016 I had to resume the daily enemas. Unfortunately, the enemas probably make my bowel function much worse. All the prescribed laxatives, softeners, etc. were poorly tolerated. I had to take about a litre of polyethylene glycol with electrolytes daily for a while. They caused severe rectal bleeding and made the prolapse much worse.MOM makes me feel like fainting, and so on.
What is occurring for the last number of months before and after the last surgery is that I have what I suspect to be a bowel blockage, I had one in April 2016 and the full bowel prep of Golytely eventually cleared it. However, it took about 6 hours or so to start working. I almost had to go to emergency which is ~a 10 hour wait here. Your number probably gets called after you drop dead in triage.
Now the blockage is much worse than ever.I was supposed to stop all laxatives, enemas, etc while waiting for the motility test. However, I have been waiting almost 3 weeks.Now the constipation has probably turned into a blockage. I have terrible waves of abdominal pain that can last for hours. I can't sleep much. I had to start the enemas again. I had no choice. For the last few days I have had to do repeat water enemies every few hours all day. Sometimes each procedure can last for 2-3 hours. Last night I was up until 5 am.For the first few days, I could only evacuate one very hard small lump + a lot of blood. I read that if you have a severe blockage you should not take a laxative because you can cause a rupture. If I even drank water it did not go through my gut. I cannot eat solid food. Even pureed infant food won't go down.I feel that if I go to the ER they won't believe me, because I don't look sick.It might be a case of "liar, liar, pants on fire". I am normal weight and have good colour (thanks to rosacea). Also, I never throw up. I didn't even throw up with severe nausea during both pregnancies.

I live in Montreal, so I may have to wait a very long time for any kind of treatment. I had very long waits for surgery. Socialized medicine here is the worst imaginable despite our very high taxes. Plus, the government has decided to stop the subsidy to all private colonoscopy etc clinics by Jan.2017. If a doctor wants to keep his private clinic open he has to opt out of Medicare (RAMQ) thus jeopardizing his OR privileges, etc .Therefore all private clinics will close shortly. It's a nightmare here.

Bottom line (no pun intended) I don't know what is the smartest thing to do. I cannot reach the surgeon because, with my luck, he's under some witness protection plan.My GP is nice but probably would be of no help. I have tried virtually every med, food, etc known to man. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
11-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #485
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi. I am a newbie to this support group. It looks amazing. I hope I'm posting in the right place.
I am 64 and have collagenous colitis and mastocytic enterocolitis. My d-predominant c.colitis went undiagnosed or treated for ~20 years. In 2013, I had uterine cancer. I'm ok. The surgery was enough to stop it.However, it caused pelvic floor issues. In May/2015 I had Altemeier perianal rectal prolapse surgery. It failed not too long after. In Sept/2016 I had laparoscopy ventral rectoplexy with no resection. It failed 5 days after the procedure. I am waiting for a bowel motility test. It is not available privately in the entire province.
Because of the long waits for surgery and the dysfunction associated with having a prolapse, my severe longterm diarrhea changed completely to severe constipation. I have had to do a 1.5 litre water enema virtually every day since June 2015. In October 2016 I had to resume the daily enemas. Unfortunately, the enemas probably make my bowel function much worse. All the prescribed laxatives, softeners, etc. were poorly tolerated. I had to take about a litre of polyethylene glycol with electrolytes daily for a while. They caused severe rectal bleeding and made the prolapse much worse.MOM makes me feel like fainting, and so on.
What is occurring for the last number of months before and after the last surgery is that I have what I suspect to be a bowel blockage, I had one in April 2016 and the full bowel prep of Golytely eventually cleared it. However, it took about 6 hours or so to start working. I almost had to go to emergency which is ~a 10 hour wait here. Your number probably gets called after you drop dead in triage.
Now the blockage is much worse than ever.I was supposed to stop all laxatives, enemas, etc while waiting for the motility test. However, I have been waiting almost 3 weeks.Now the constipation has probably turned into a blockage. I have terrible waves of abdominal pain that can last for hours. I can't sleep much. I had to start the enemas again. I had no choice. For the last few days I have had to do repeat water enemies every few hours all day. Sometimes each procedure can last for 2-3 hours. Last night I was up until 5 am.For the first few days, I could only evacuate one very hard small lump + a lot of blood. I read that if you have a severe blockage you should not take a laxative because you can cause a rupture. If I even drank water it did not go through my gut. I cannot eat solid food. Even pureed infant food won't go down.I feel that if I go to the ER they won't believe me, because I don't look sick.It might be a case of "liar, liar, pants on fire". I am normal weight and have good colour (thanks to rosacea). Also, I never throw up. I didn't even throw up with severe nausea during both pregnancies.

I live in Montreal, so I may have to wait a very long time for any kind of treatment. I had very long waits for surgery. Socialized medicine here is the worst imaginable despite our very high taxes. Plus, the government has decided to stop the subsidy to all private colonoscopy etc clinics by Jan.2017. If a doctor wants to keep his private clinic open he has to opt out of Medicare (RAMQ) thus jeopardizing his OR privileges, etc .Therefore all private clinics will close shortly. It's a nightmare here.

Bottom line (no pun intended) I don't know what is the smartest thing to do. I cannot reach the surgeon because, with my luck, he's under some witness protection plan.My GP is nice but probably would be of no help. I have tried virtually every med, food, etc known to man. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I would still try ER.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
11-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #486
wnorm

My Support Groups:
I appreciate your rapid response. My question: why exactly. My abdomen at present is not rigid or painful. I am not throwing up. Why should they believe me?
11-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #487
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Maybe if they do internal exams they can see the blockage. I am concerned if you have a blockage it is going to get worse

11-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #488
wnorm

My Support Groups:
Don't they do X-rays or other scans first?
11-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #489
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I believe so.

11-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #490
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I believe so.
Let us know how you are.
11-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #491
wnorm

My Support Groups:
So far I seem to be ok. Had some diluted apple juice and diluted ensure about an hour ago. Feeling kind of nauseous, but ensure and apple juice make me nauseous anyway.My husband is up at the country house for the weekend. I'm not well enough to go there.He says that if there is a crisis he will drive back. It's only about 60 miles away.He's a dentist, but is running out of empathy for me. I guess it's a form of self-preservation.
It's so kind of you to check up on me. Only my late mother would do that. She passed away in 2014 after having Alzheimers for 10 years.
11-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #492
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am sorry. It is beside the point but my father has Alzheimer's. I hope you get some help soon.

11-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #493
wnorm

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear that. It's an awful disease. Both my parents had it at the same time. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness.
11-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #494
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You are welcome

11-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #495
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
Sounds like you are having a very rough time, wnorm. Hope things are a little better today.

I always struggle with the "I don't look sick" "It's not that bad" or "they won't believe me" thoughts before I go to the hospital. I have had to go to the ER for a blockage before. They did an x-ray first to see if there was a blockage (there was) and then a CT scan to see the nature of the problem (inflammation vs. scarring). It was admitted and given IV steroids for a few days because it was due (partly) to inflammation.

You shouldn't have to live like this. If your doctors won't respond, then I think you should go to the ER.

Have you considered having your colon removed and getting an ostomy or j-pouch?
11-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #496
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes. If your doctor doesn't respond go to the doctor.

11-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #497
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
How did it go?

11-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #498
jonique

My Support Groups:
How did it go?
Surgery itself went well. Removed 11 cm of small bowel. Basically removed my old anastomosis and redid it. I had extensive adhesions so they removed them in order to get to the bowel.

I went home after 8 days but readmitted three days later with post op ileus. Had ng tube inserted in the ER which was probably the worst thing I have experienced! D/c 7 days later. Been home two weeks now and getting better each day. I see the surgeon this week and find out when I go back to work.

Wasn't pleasant but I'm crohns free now. Gastroenterologist wants to see me in 6 months for colpnoscopy to make sure no inflammation coming back.

Thanks for checking in

11-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #499
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Surgery itself went well. Removed 11 cm of small bowel. Basically removed my old anastomosis and redid it. I had extensive adhesions so they removed them in order to get to the bowel.

I went home after 8 days but readmitted three days later with post op ileus. Had ng tube inserted in the ER which was probably the worst thing I have experienced! D/c 7 days later. Been home two weeks now and getting better each day. I see the surgeon this week and find out when I go back to work.

Wasn't pleasant but I'm crohns free now. Gastroenterologist wants to see me in 6 months for colpnoscopy to make sure no inflammation coming back.

Thanks for checking in
Hope you stay in remission for a long time.

11-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #500
wnorm

My Support Groups:
Sounds like you are having a very rough time, wnorm. Hope things are a little better today.

I always struggle with the "I don't look sick" "It's not that bad" or "they won't believe me" thoughts before I go to the hospital. I have had to go to the ER for a blockage before. They did an x-ray first to see if there was a blockage (there was) and then a CT scan to see the nature of the problem (inflammation vs. scarring). It was admitted and given IV steroids for a few days because it was due (partly) to inflammation.

You shouldn't have to live like this. If your doctors won't respond, then I think you should go to the ER.

Have you considered having your colon removed and getting an ostomy or j-pouch?
Thanks for your thoughtfulness. I am actually in the ER now.I've been here for about 2 hours or so. Had a bad test. Waiting for the rest.Wish me good luck getting some treatment before the cows come home.
11-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #501
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks for your thoughtfulness. I am actually in the ER now.I've been here for about 2 hours or so. Had a bad test. Waiting for the rest.Wish me good luck getting some treatment before the cows come home.
I hope they get to you soon and you can get relief.

11-20-2016, 10:31 PM   #502
wnorm

My Support Groups:
I hope they get to you soon and you can get relief.
Thank-you.The warmth and support from your group means a lot to me..
11-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #503
wnorm

My Support Groups:
Still in ER
Been here for 10 hours.just had x-ray and blood test.If I was treated at a veterinarian clinic, I would already had the surgery and been sent home with a dog biscuit.
11-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #504
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope they have seen you by now.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group