Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Moving From Humira to REMICADE

09-26-2016, 03:49 AM   #1
Tony H

Moving From Humira to REMICADE

Hi in the hospital for the last few days from a bad flare , on iv steroids and iv antibiotics , I was on Humira for the last year and it was very effective until the end of July and went downhill from there , so I'm a bit nervous about the change , hopefully all will go well .

emazole 40mg daily
09-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Best of luck! Remicade has continued to work for me for over 10 years now!

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
09-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Best to you.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
09-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
aypues

My Support Groups:
I love Remicade so far. I was on Humira for 4 months and it did nothing for my disease. As soon as I started the Remicade it immediately stopped the pain and my hemoglobin started to rise. I had to have a couple high dose iron infusions (Injectafer) too. They give me Remicade in combination with Cellcept to prevent antibodies from developing. Hopefully it will work as well for you as it has for me!
09-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Tony H

So today I got the all clear from my biopsies , and then got my first infusion about 4 hours ago , keeping me in hospital overnight (out early tomorrow) and so far so good ,
I had a dose of piriton beforehand so had a nice snoozy experience ,
I feel a bit wiped out but hopefully this will pass and Ill get a good night sleep
09-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
So today I got the all clear from my biopsies , and then got my first infusion about 4 hours ago , keeping me in hospital overnight (out early tomorrow) and so far so good ,
I had a dose of piriton beforehand so had a nice snoozy experience ,
I feel a bit wiped out but hopefully this will pass and Ill get a good night sleep
Hope all good things for you.

09-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
Honey
Forum Monitor

Hi Tony H,
I hope all goes well for you and that you feel better soon. Best wishes.
:
09-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
Tony H

Finally "released" from hospital , was feeling a little drained but no side effects , bm's have slowed in intensity and frequency , feeling a little braver about passing wind , I am really lucky to have had a great GI team who took care of me in the MUH in Cork City ,
09-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Finally "released" from hospital , was feeling a little drained but no side effects , bm's have slowed in intensity and frequency , feeling a little braver about passing wind , I am really lucky to have had a great GI team who took care of me in the MUH in Cork City ,
Glad you are better.

10-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Layla

My Support Groups:
Well, we're almost on the same schedule! I just had my first Remicade infusion last Friday after Humira failing me.

I was hoping to catch up on some sleep as I had read that the infusion may make you sleepy but they also gave me 100mg of hydrocortisone and that kept me up all night, bummer!
My next infusion is in 2 weeks time. I assume you're on the same schedule of loading doses in week 0,2 and 6 before you go to 8 weekly infusions?

I hope it works for both of us!
Resection due to strictures in 2014
Currently taking: Remicade, amitriptyline, zinc, multi vitamin, b12 shots, Vit D, B complex, magnesium, calcium, Psyllium and the occasional iron infusion

Previously on Humira, Prednisone, Azathioprine, MTX, Pentasa, Asacol, Salofalk
10-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #11
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well, we're almost on the same schedule! I just had my first Remicade infusion last Friday after Humira failing me.

I was hoping to catch up on some sleep as I had read that the infusion may make you sleepy but they also gave me 100mg of hydrocortisone and that kept me up all night, bummer!
My next infusion is in 2 weeks time. I assume you're on the same schedule of loading doses in week 0,2 and 6 before you go to 8 weekly infusions?

Hope it helps you both

10-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #12
Tony H

So do I , my next is on the 11th , I think /hope it's starting to have an effect , a lot less cramping and less trips to the toilet , I'm still on 40mg prednisone for another 5 days , then reducing by 5mg weekly .

10-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #13
aypues

My Support Groups:
So do I , my next is on the 11th , I think /hope it's starting to have an effect , a lot less cramping and less trips to the toilet , I'm still on 40mg prednisone for another 5 days , then reducing by 5mg weekly .
I felt relief IMMEDIATELY with Remicade. I was almost in disbelief. I thought the first few days were a fluke because I had cleaned out for a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy 2 days before and my system was just getting ready to freak out with food. But no, it didn't. Now i've had my 2nd infusion and still doing fine. I've tapered to 15 mgs Prednisone and still no/very little pain. Are you taking it in combination with 6mp/azathioprine/methotrexate/cellcept?
10-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
Tony H

I felt relief IMMEDIATELY with Remicade. I was almost in disbelief. I thought the first few days were a fluke because I had cleaned out for a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy 2 days before and my system was just getting ready to freak out with food. But no, it didn't. Now i've had my 2nd infusion and still doing fine. I've tapered to 15 mgs Prednisone and still no/very little pain. Are you taking it in combination with 6mp/azathioprine/methotrexate/cellcept?

Nothing else for now , had a bad reaction to 6 mp so that's out

10-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #15
Layla

My Support Groups:
I felt immediate relief with Humira but only during the loading doses so say the first month or so. When the dosage was increased to once a week that helped a little too but just not enough.

I'm really hoping Remicade will be different. I'm fairly good today so hoping it's the remicade kicking in, fingers crossed.
I'm also not an anything else, a bad reaction to Aza and constant nausea on Methotrexate so just Remicade for now.
10-02-2016, 02:28 AM   #16
aypues

My Support Groups:
I felt immediate relief with Humira but only during the loading doses so say the first month or so. When the dosage was increased to once a week that helped a little too but just not enough.

I'm really hoping Remicade will be different. I'm fairly good today so hoping it's the remicade kicking in, fingers crossed.
I'm also not an anything else, a bad reaction to Aza and constant nausea on Methotrexate so just Remicade for now.
Good luck. Yeah, i had a reaction to methotrexate and couldnt tolerate 6mp/imuran so we ended up with Cellcept (500mg twice a day) which has been totally fine. My doctor said it does basically the same thing as the other three...to prevent antibodies to Remicade so it can work better/longer.
10-02-2016, 03:28 AM   #17
Layla

My Support Groups:
Thanks, I'll look into Cellcept, never heard of it but who knows it might be available here too.
10-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #18
aypues

My Support Groups:
Thanks, I'll look into Cellcept, never heard of it but who knows it might be available here too.
it should be. it's been around decades and is generic. they use it in organ transplants at a much higher dose.
10-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #19
Tony H

a better day today again , only 2 bm's and the gas is gone down a level as well , my wife can take her gas mask off , or can she?
10-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #20
Tony H

Hope you feel better as well Layla .
10-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #21
Tony H

Not too bad today a few loose bm's but no bleeding ,
heading up for a dexa scan later ,last time it showed osteopenia ,
hoping for improvement but not hopeful with all the pred I have taken
Anyway it's a nice day out so at least I'll get to se some of that .

10-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
Layla

My Support Groups:
Hope you feel better as well Layla .
Thanks! I was feeling very optimistic for the first couple of days and even had a little salad!

But back to taking Imodium or codeine now to "stem the flow". Almost can't wait for the second dose, hoping that will have a more lasting effect.

Hope the dexa scan doesn't show things getting worse. I had one to recently and it also showed osteopenia, I'm taking lots of calcium hoping that will help some.
10-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #23
Tony H

Back from the scan ,, it was a full mri scan which was an unusual experience , will be nice to get an update on my density , last time I was showing as osteopenia ,
had a much better afternoon today , no bm since 12.45 , still feeling a bit unsteady but a definitive improvement ,
the codeine helps slow things down all right .
Hope thinks go well for you as well .
10-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #24
Tony H

doing a little better again today , firming up slightly so thats good , just one thought I seem to have a little dry throat , no pain or phlegm , just wondering if any one else had this on remicade ?
10-08-2016, 12:11 AM   #25
Layla

My Support Groups:
Good to hear you're doing better! I don't have any throat issues or heard about them, may not be related?

I was good for the first few days but back to blood in stool and general tiredness etc. In hindsight I think the hydrocortisone made me feel better. Not the Remicade, yet.

Hopefully the second dose will have a more lasting effect!
10-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #26
Tony H

Just an update had a bad night last night . I'm in a&e now waiting for fluids.

10-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #27
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just an update had a bad night last night . I'm in a&e now waiting for fluids.
I am so sorry, Tony.

10-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #28
Tony H

Thanks Ron looks like I'm in for a few days

10-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #29
Tony H

24 hours on iv fluids , antibiotics and hydrocortisone feeling a bit better but still having one bm at least an hour , my GI will be able to see me tomorrow but the surgical team are hovering , at this stage I think I would nearly welcome it , at least the view from my window is good

view of my Beautiful City Cork by the River Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0090_1024x768.JPG (116.6 KB, 30 views)
10-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #30
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
24 hours on iv fluids , antibiotics and hydrocortisone feeling a bit better but still having one bm at least an hour , my GI will be able to see me tomorrow but the surgical team are hovering , at this stage I think I would nearly welcome it , at least the view from my window is good

view of my Beautiful City Cork by the River Lee
Nice picture

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Moving From Humira to REMICADE