Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira no longer working

10-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
hedge

My Support Groups:
Humira no longer working

I've been on Humira for 18 months or so. Unfortunately I think my body is rejecting the medicine. I have been very exhausted since taking my last dose Monday night. This same thing happened with remicade.
10-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi. Let your doctor know what is going on. How often do you give yourself the injections? If it is bi-weekly, they might want to switch to weekly. Talk to your doctor . He might test you to see the level of medicine in your system or to see if you have built up antibodies. Let us know how you are.
10-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
hedge

My Support Groups:
I reached out to him today. I will update with results
10-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
hedge

My Support Groups:
I'm getting more blood work on Monday to test for antibodies. In a flare now and loving life.
10-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Scaryman
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ask your Doctor if you can take MTX (Methotrexate). It might help with any Antibodies you may have.
Remicade- failed with infusion reaction.
Mesalamine-another failure
Entecourt - fail- no help.
currently on Methotrexate 25mg and Humira combo.
Folic Acid Supplement
Hyclosomine,Ultram,vicoden for pain as needed
Extended right Hemocolectomy 5/24/13 Univ.Of Chicago
11/7/13- small crohns ulcer at surgical site (active).
10-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
hedge

My Support Groups:
Ask your Doctor if you can take MTX (Methotrexate). It might help with any Antibodies you may have.
I had a nasty reaction to that when I was on remicade
10-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
FrozenGirl

What about Imuran instead of mtx? Might be an option if you haven't tried it
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
10-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
amyh

My Support Groups:
I became immune to Remicade as well. I decided to try the natural route, and save the Humira as an option for a last resort. SO I started an intense anti-inflammatory diet and healing program and it worked for me. In the period of a year's time, my Crohn's slowly had less and less symptoms until they disappeared all together. I've been in remission for 2 years now. Im not taking any prescriptions.

It was a risk, but I was in bad shape with a stricture, and had few options, so I gave it a shot. Everyone has to make their own decisions on their healing path, and it's the route I chose. I don't recommend anyone stop their medication immediately, but I found diet and supplements can help to heal your immune system.
Graphic Designer
immune to Remicade
currently in remission
10-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I became immune to Remicade as well. I decided to try the natural route, and save the Humira as an option for a last resort. SO I started an intense anti-inflammatory diet and healing program and it worked for me. In the period of a year's time, my Crohn's slowly had less and less symptoms until they disappeared all together. I've been in remission for 2 years now. Im not taking any prescriptions.

It was a risk, but I was in bad shape with a stricture, and had few options, so I gave it a shot. Everyone has to make their own decisions on their healing path, and it's the route I chose. I don't recommend anyone stop their medication immediately, but I found diet and supplements can help to heal your immune system.
Do you have a doctor monitoring you?

10-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #10
amyh

My Support Groups:
Yes, I had a colonoscopy to monitory my progress, and I checked back with my GI doc every 3 months, and now just as needed.
10-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #11
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good
11-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #12
hedge

My Support Groups:
Just found out that I do not have antibodies but had Humira levels. I'm going to potentially be put on weekly doses of the drug.
11-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #13
DougUte

My Support Groups:
I had the test for my Humira levels. Results - Humira was at 2.1. My GI informed me the level should be 5.0 for a therapeutic level. I also was tested for antibodies and found none. After over 5 years on Humira I am being changed to weekly injections.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
11-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #14
aypues

My Support Groups:
I had the test for my Humira levels. Results - Humira was at 2.1. My GI informed me the level should be 5.0 for a therapeutic level. I also was tested for antibodies and found none. After over 5 years on Humira I am being changed to weekly injections.
5.0 is the old cutoff level for effectiveness. they are finding it needs to be 10-12+ to gain a clinical response and remission.

Humira never did anything for me and my level was 5.4, plus I was on Entocort 9mg/day. Unfortunately Blue Shield didn't want to pay for weekly doses and I was getting desperate with pain and increasing blood loss and needing IV iron infusions, so I switched docs and we went with Remicade and Cellcept. Immediately put it into remission.
11-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #15
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
5.0 is the old cutoff level for effectiveness. they are finding it needs to be 10-12+ to gain a clinical response and remission.

Humira never did anything for me and my level was 5.4, plus I was on Entocort 9mg/day. Unfortunately Blue Shield didn't want to pay for weekly doses and I was getting desperate with pain and increasing blood loss and needing IV iron infusions, so I switched docs and we went with Remicade and Cellcept. Immediately put it into remission.
That is great

11-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #16
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Great that the Remicade did so well.

12-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #17
hedge

My Support Groups:
Just checking in for an update of sorts. I'm still in a flare up but I think it's getting better. I will have to get a colonoscopy if my symptoms don't go away within a month
12-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #18
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just checking in for an update of sorts. I'm still in a flare up but I think it's getting better. I will have to get a colonoscopy if my symptoms don't go away within a month
I hope it calms down soon.

12-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
JackG

My Support Groups:
AmyH, can you give us an example of a anti-inflammatory diet? I'd love to try it. I'm pretty stable on Humira, but I'm still not entirely normal.
Present: Humira
12-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #20
eccalynn85

My Support Groups:
I have been on Humira for about the same amount of time, started on it last August. It helped some but I still don't feel that great. I used to be on Remicade and it worked really well! I aged out of my parents insurance and stopped taking it. Going to the doc tomorrow to see what she says. I just want to feel better...

12-16-2016, 04:01 AM   #21
Ozboz

My Support Groups:

What is the natural approach that you used it seems everything I try doesn't work I tried scd for a bit but then it stopped working, I also tried paleo with mixed results also now the drugs aren't working I feel a bit lost.
12-16-2016, 04:53 AM   #22
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
I had a nasty reaction to that when I was on remicade
What was your reaction cause I took MTX one time and ended up throwing up and feeling like crap for a week it scared me a bit no too touch it again.
12-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #23
peluchde

My Support Groups:
I had 4 1/2 good years with Himira, but then 3 hospitalizations and surgery. Tried Entiviyo infusions, but I only took it for 7 months and I think the doctors didn't give it enough time. Now on Stelara and it's not working either. Doctor wants to add Methotrexate. Wish I could get off all these meds. I'm thinking they might be doing more harm than good.
12-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #24
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No meds at all might make you worse.

12-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #25
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
No meds at all might make you worse.
Ron is absolutley right I did this and paid the price now I might loose my colon I'm scared stiff and my bones and teeth are getting worse.
12-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #26
jmrw

My Support Groups:
Amyh
I would like to know more about your anti-inflammatory diet
01-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #27
fewdalord

My Support Groups:
I've been on Humira for 18 months or so. Unfortunately I think my body is rejecting the medicine. I have been very exhausted since taking my last dose Monday night. This same thing happened with remicade.
I don't think it is a sign of your body rejecting it. It is just a side effect t. If mine from ontinues unabated I'll get off of it. I feel dreadful
01-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #28
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't think it is a sign of your body rejecting it. It is just a side effect t. If mine from ontinues unabated I'll get off of it. I feel dreadful
Consult with your doctor before going off if you do decide to go off it.

01-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #29
hedge

My Support Groups:
What was your reaction cause I took MTX one time and ended up throwing up and feeling like crap for a week it scared me a bit no too touch it again.
Throwing up until about noon everyday
03-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #30
hedge

My Support Groups:
Update.

I was put on a prednisone taper and felt great. I've been off of it for just over a week and the symptoms came back instantly. I'm getting a colonoscopy Friday and will go from there.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira no longer working