Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?

06-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #391
blue sky

Lemons provide numerous health benefits, including its ability to prevent asthma and inflammation, boost the immune system, increase iron absorption, reduce the risk of stroke, and maintain a healthy complexion, according to Medical News Today.
09-22-2016, 04:01 AM   #392
Teresa78

I use to not worry about what I ate but as I've gotten older and had more surgeries Ive had to change a few things. I also developed diverticulitis. With Crohns I can no longer eat corn, nuts,hotdogs or sausages without pealing the skin off,lettuce,spicey foods (of course) and all beans with a shell. With the diverticulitis I cant eat the smallest seeds like as in strawberries and cucumbers
10-24-2016, 01:46 AM   #393
Jaredj

My Support Groups:
Ulcerative Colitis (Proctosigmoiditis)

Sugar, wheat/gluten, and any type of cheese. (Research Casomorphins. Naturally occurring Opioid peptides in cheese that cause constipation.)

Organic fruit and vegetables. Eliminating the 3 things ^ above has allowed me to once again enjoy a variety of food.
10-24-2016, 06:06 AM   #394
crohnscrisis

1. Crohn's
2. Nothing
3. Everything

I looks like you can't eat anything according to your list!

If you're Crohn's is active then I've found digesting anything hurts, doesn't make it worse, but it hurts.

If you're in remission, then as long as it's balanced you're fine. Scientifically, it's never been proven that any sort of food can cause Crohn's, just that some aggravate it but again, that's never been proven. It's a very personal journey and one that you can only really have through trial and error.

I thought at one point that I couldn't eat bacon because it seemed to be followed by an attack, but it was just coincidence (thankfully, I LOVE bacon!)

My number one rule is just rest your digestion with liquids, so soups, smoothies etc. If you followed this list, then you can't eat veggies or fruit etc. but you can as long as it's easy for you to digest.

I just had surgery and the only advice regarding food I was given was to avoid red meat for about 6 weeks and ease slowly into veggies and fruits with skins because of the fibre but right now, my body needs the fibre and is telling me to up it so I am. You just have to listen to what your body is telling you

I have a blog that explains in more detail my experience if anyone wants to take a look. crohnscrisis.wordpress.com but please note, being on here isn't to promote it! Just to help and get advice myself
12-31-2016, 02:18 AM   #395
Norton

This is such a useful list. In the UK it has been my experience that no one pays much attention to diet and I have had crohns for nearly 40 years. Currently in a flare so using ensure plus, mashed potato, turkey and white bread with the occasional soup. When well I eat quite widely but stay away from fatty foods and foods with high fibre, alcohol.
03-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #396
Alexa Federico

My Support Groups:
I have Crohn's disease.

Safe Foods
- Rice
- Quinoa
- Millet
- Chicken
- Turkey
- Bison
- Beef
- Most vegetables (examples: sweet potatoes, onions, zucchini, asparagus, green beans, cauliflower, carrots, Brussels sprouts, squashes, etc)
- Most fruits (berries, bananas, apples, watermelon, pineapple, etc)

NOT Safe Foods
- Gluten
- Cow Milk, milk products (except butter)
- Corn
- Soy
- Oats
- Tomato
- Potato
- Peanuts
03-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #397
Madnance

I think that there are a lot more entries here since the initial summary list was made in 2011. Anyone tried to update it? This is a terrific resource to me. My daughter just was diagnosed with Crohn's and we are trying to figure out how to help her with diet. Thanks! Madnance
03-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #398
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think that there are a lot more entries here since the initial summary list was made in 2011. Anyone tried to update it? This is a terrific resource to me. My daughter just was diagnosed with Crohn's and we are trying to figure out how to help her with diet. Thanks! Madnance
She might want to keep a food diary to see the foods that irritate her guts.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
08-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #399
SoOoO CoNfuSeD

My Support Groups:
1. crohn's
2. UNSAFE: Corn, caffeine, most fast food
3. SAFE: lemon, ginger, any green juice, quinoa, chicken, almond milk
10-10-2017, 02:38 AM   #400
stephensam

I always like to eat the banana fruits in my daily food diet. So i hope it will protect my body from various health issues.
10-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #401
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
First day back to work. Have to add death by chocolate cake to the banned foods list as it had triggered bad abdominal cramps that knocked me out sick for a whole week (it is now cramps by chocolate cake ). That cake never bothered me before, my system is getting more sensitive. Haven't had cramps that bad in a few years, good thing I didn't eat the whole slice. Chocolate seems to be OK in moderation, can't have the dense stuff.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?