02-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #31
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hey Mike are you out there?
02-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #32
cmack

My Support Groups:
Mike

I always watched the bicycle couriers when I went to Vancouver while riding the bus as a kid. Man you guys are serious riders. I rode motocross bikes and did crazy things. You guys,and gals are very good at what you do. I myself was amazed, as was my brother who did some crazy riding too.
02-14-2017, 01:33 AM   #33
mackraslo

My Support Groups:
Hey Mike are you out there?
Haha Yes I am still here, just off and on the computer, sometimes my replies take a while, sorry :P
02-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #34
skittle

Hey Mike. Glad youre feeling positive about taking the meds. It's always a tough decision because any meds, while they can help the symptoms, can also come with a whole set of new ones huh!

I hope you had a good day

Currently on prednisone and pentasa
On venlafaxine for anxiety
03-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #35
vickyvw

Hello Mike, I don't know wheher you still readthis, but I've just posted a thread concerning Wellbutrin. Has it helped you at all?
03-31-2017, 04:55 PM   #36
MizzSarah

My Support Groups:
I live in BC as well.

I've been on and off antidepressants. The journey to getting diagnosed was a pretty tramatic journey that left me having to take them. Doctors at one point thought telling a young kid, hey, this will make you magically healed was something appropriate to say. Or that it's all in your head so these will help your brain not make up fake pains.

I've never been on antidepressants for a substantial amount of time but I'll take them when other resources fail.

We have to be kinder to ourselves and seek help when needed. Just as I have had to learn that it is okay to take medication to treat pain.
2nd Gen affected
03-31-2017, 10:04 PM   #37
mackraslo

My Support Groups:
Hello Mike, I don't know wheher you still readthis, but I've just posted a thread concerning Wellbutrin. Has it helped you at all?
Hey there, Sorry ive been busy and havent had the time lately to catch up with messages.

I am no longer on Wellbutrin, but it was helping me very much with crohns symptoms. But, unfortuneatly I developed some bad side effect, possibly an interaction with another med I am on, so I had to come off of it.

I can tell you that while I was on Wellbutrin, my stomach felt better, my stools were much better, and I had an increase in energy. But it wasnt a magical cure-all, though it did help out.

Hope this helps you! All the best!

-Mike
04-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #38
MissLeopard83

My Support Groups:
Hey there, Sorry ive been busy and havent had the time lately to catch up with messages.

I am no longer on Wellbutrin, but it was helping me very much with crohns symptoms. But, unfortuneatly I developed some bad side effect, possibly an interaction with another med I am on, so I had to come off of it.

I can tell you that while I was on Wellbutrin, my stomach felt better, my stools were much better, and I had an increase in energy. But it wasnt a magical cure-all, though it did help out.

Hope this helps you! All the best!

-Mike
I don't know if you are aware of the gut-brain connection, but the gut makes 90% of the serotonin. It stands to reason that if your gut is out of whack, your brain will be, too, and vice versa (the brain is the computer, so when the computer "crashes", so does everything else). I actually had to go up on my antidepressant recently due to stress at home and the workplace and was switched over from Wellbutrin SR to Wellbutrin XL by my PCP. My former psychiatrist never told me that SR was only for 12 hour dosing, so I would take it at night and wonder why I would start feeling a little "off" mid-day. The XL lasts much longer and doesn't give me the same feeling, but it's apparently not enough for what I'm going thru. I'm, unfortunately, having to use my Ativan more often until I see a new psychiatrist next month. My PCP gave me Seroquel XR to help with my mood swings, but that made me feel like a zombie!
04-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #39
Betterwithvideogames

I've had Crohn's for a few years and I've been diagnosed with severe depression since I was a kid, you might want to look into anti depressants like cymbalta which have a side effect of sometimes helping pain. It's what I'm on and it's pretty good.
09-14-2017, 02:46 AM   #40
MadelinePender

So sorry to hear about your situation. Depression and anxiety are common nowadays, most of the people are suffering from this kind of issue. Generally neurotic personality, experience such feelings as anxiety, worry, fear, anger, frustration, envy, jealousy, guilt, depressed mood, and loneliness. I know being depressed can make you feel helpless. You can't completely rely on any antidepressants, because it completely doesn't work for anyone. You also have to work on yourself for your health improvement. I think you need a proper consultation also, you may check here once martine-voyance.com/. Consultation helps people to overcome with their depression. There you can share everything without hesitation. May be it can be helpful to you.
10-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #41
MaryCherub

Has anyone had success with Antidepressants at all?
Not me.

Made things worse if anything. And I have a family member who is addicted to them, which recently broke up her marriage. But they do help some people.

I had anxiety and depression. But I didn't want to take medication for it, due to side effects.

I started doing guided meditations and yoga which helped. I joined a weekly meditation group which helped the practice considerably.

I also saw a herbalist and got an adaptogen liquid tonic from her. There are five different adaptogen herbs in it, and they help to banish the anxiety and depression without any side effects.

Everyone is different.

If you are suicidal, them yes anti-depressants are probably the best course.

But mild to moderate depression can often be treated naturally.

Even a change of diet can help.

People low in Vitamin D and Zinc (for me it was Essential Fatty Acids) can also have depression. Best to get a blood test done and see what you are deficient in.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/colum...se-depression/

Hope you perk up soon.
10-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #42
Jelly loves Peanut butter

My Support Groups:
MaryCherub,
I'm happy for you that your natural way of treating depression is working for you but you are right when you say everyone is different. Not everyone that is depressed has a vitamin deficiency and I'm sure most people here having crohns would already know that info as most have frequent bloodraws. And having a chronic illness and the uncertainty for the future would give most anxiety and possibly depression too.
For you to say antidepressants are "ok" if you are suicidal and for mild/moderate depression "can often be treated naturally" is just wrong. You are entitled to your opinion but as I read your words they sound very judgmental. And for so many people struggling emotionally there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking antidepressants. To let depression linger without treatment could actually lead to suicidal thoughts.
10-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #43
MaryCherub

For you to say antidepressants are "ok" if you are suicidal and for mild/moderate depression "can often be treated naturally" is just wrong.

Surely I can post my own personal experiences without being told I am wrong !!!!

My doctor told me (and I agree) that mild to moderate depression can often be dealt with in other ways.........That does not necessary mean it should be though. Each person is an individual case.

I do think that anti-depressants are over prescribed. When often simpler measures can work. But often you are not even given that option. As a lot of doctors don't ask about diet, or drinking habits or reasons for feeling depressed, or nutritional deficiencies. Lucky I now have a doctor who does. In the past I didn't.

For me (natural methods) were the right way, as anti-depressants I took years ago were the wrong thing for me, and made things much worse because of their side effects.

If you think I am being judgemental (which I am not being), well that is you being judgemental of me.

You know - just because you disagree with me - does NOT make me wrong. It just means we have a different approach to things.

The question was who has had experience with anti-depressants and I answered truthfully according to my own personal experiences.

I am sure the OP wanted a cross-section of answers.

Or am I only allowed to answer if I had a positive experience

???

Last edited by MaryCherub; 10-16-2017 at 02:47 AM. Reason: To add to answer
10-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #44
cmack

My Support Groups:
I think we should keep an open mind. Trying different methods often leads to success and that's the aim. Nobody is wrong, we just need to try till something helps. Agreed?
10-16-2017, 03:04 AM   #45
MaryCherub

I think we should keep an open mind. Trying different methods often leads to success and that's the aim. Nobody is wrong, we just need to try till something helps. Agreed?

Well I agree wholeheartedly with that yes.

I have suffered with depression of varying degrees for the past 38 years.

But it is only in the past five years, that I have really managed to overcome it. And that was with the aid of dietary changes, supplements and herbal medication.

Therefore, it is extremely annoying and demeaning to have my own experiences dealt such a "you are wrong" comment.

If you take anti-depressants and they work for you, then that is excellent news and none of my business.

However, the OP asked for experiences, and I shared mine and that of my family with this type of pharmaceutical medication.

Worrying though, I have noticed on these types of forums, that if you go against the status-quo of things, someone comes along and tells you, that you are wrong. Makes me wonder..........why?

I am not wrong. I just have a different opinion to other people.

This difference of opinion stems from my own experiences of depression, doctors, anti-depressants and other methods, over the past 38 years.

Thank you for your understanding and comment. Much appreciated.

10-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #46
cmack

My Support Groups:
The vast majority (99.5%) of people on this forum have a very open mind and tend not to criticize others. We sometimes care so much that we disagree, usually only out of care for others. This is a very supportive place and that will never change. We welcome you Mary, feel free to be yourself.
10-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #47
MaryCherub

feel free to be yourself.
I plan to be myself. Freely.

And share my positive and negative experiences truthfully.

Even if that means going against the status-quo of the crowd.

And if people attack me in such a condescending manner (like Jelly loves Peanut butter did above).....then I will always stand up for myself in return.

Thank you
10-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #48
GI Jane

My Support Groups:
My peanut butter loves marshmallow cream lol