Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » I had an MRI Post-op- question about results!!!

03-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
readabook

My Support Groups:
I had an MRI Post-op- question about results!!!

I am 9 weeks post-op from having an "anal nodule"removed- basically an old fistula/abscess scar from surgery over 20 years ago. Surgeon removed about 2 cm around of tissue and wound is healing openly. He keeps using silver nitrate to hasten things which only seems to make me close up then break open w/bleeding etc. I still have light fairly clear drainage. The word "heal" gets me confused- he wants it to sat it to stay slightly open to heal from bottom up, yet suggests it should be closed by now, then says it is just a pinhole...He feels it is taking awhile, but at same time says it was deep...
So he ordered an MRI to rule out a fistula vs abscess. He had not seen fistula on any exams. He did NOT indicate to radiologist that I had had surgery 9 weeks ago. The MRI states "a thin tract of T2 hypertense signal is identified w/in the right sided perianal soft tissues at the 7:00 position which extends towards right gluteal fold, suggestive of a small perianal fistula. There is enhancement along the tract. This perianal fistula is likely transsphincteric. There is no evidence of a focal drainable fluid to suggest perianal abscess."

So- this is exactly where surgery took place and tissue was removed-and a few deep sutures placed. Could this be indicative of those changes or is this in fact a new fistula? Wondering if possible to contact radiologist to review. Obviously I will be speaking w/surgeon, but results came in over weekend!
Thanks all!
03-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
readabook

My Support Groups:
anyone have any experience with
1. Understanding MRI's
2. Open wound healing?
Thanks- anxiety is exhausting!
03-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
readabook

My Support Groups:
My surgeon wouldn't contact radiologist to explain it had been post -op and he just told me he can't tell himself. That he has been perplexed by my whole situation, that he is not sure why my body isn't healed yet- (though he originally told me 6 mos and it is now 9 weeks w/mild drainage....) He keeps wanting to apply silver nitrate that seals the top too quickly and then it reopens with bloody discharge... I call him to ask about that stuff cause no one has told me what is "normal" so now he thinks I am anxious (well NOW I am!) And he was stunned to read MRI report of small fistula after he found none, but when I asked could that just be post surgical changes he said to get a second opinion. This is exhausting.I think if there were guidelines such as "for first four months it is normal to have......" then I wouldn't call to ask questions!
03-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
readabook

My Support Groups:
AND second crs didn't get to read report either- or early doctor notes...and I waited almost an hour so he was late to a meeting- so I may try to call to ask but he talking about using ultrasound and maybe a seton...I am still draining at 12 weeks cause he poked me! Not looking forward to more surgery but think it is in the cards...
03-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
Layla

My Support Groups:
Sorry, have no experience with fistula's or open wound healing myself but hopefully someone on here will come by soon.

In the meantime I hope the wound heals soon and he was wrong about the fistula!
Resection due to strictures in 2014
Currently taking: amitriptyline, zinc, multi vitamin, b12 shots, Vit D, B complex, magnesium, calcium, Psyllium and the occasional iron infusion, probably sarting a medical trial soon

Previously on Remicade, Humira, Prednisone, Azathioprine, MTX, Pentasa, Asacol, Salofalk
04-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
Sorebutt26

Hi @readabook

How are you doing? I have complex fistula's :-( horrible bloody things!

04-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
readabook

My Support Groups:
Thanks! I had a fistulotomy 8 days ago. Surgeon found fistula using ultrasound and dye. I have post op next week and hopefully will learn more about what happened.
04-16-2017, 01:44 AM   #8
Sorebutt26

Thanks! I had a fistulotomy 8 days ago. Surgeon found fistula using ultrasound and dye. I have post op next week and hopefully will learn more about what happened.
How are you doing after your surgery?

I had a seton in January (after other surgeries... had a fistulotomy a couple of years back too) was still getting problems so went back had an MRI and they found I had the most complex form and multiple!

04-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
readabook

My Support Groups:
I am really sore! Big grand Canyon wound. How are you? Do you have setons?
04-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #10
Sorebutt26

I am really sore! Big grand Canyon wound. How are you? Do you have setons?
I found the worst part about a fistulotomy was passing stools! Hopefully the pain will ease off for you over the next few days.

I do currently have a seton yes, heading back in a couple of weeks to get it replaced and have EUA as I had an MRI and they discovered lots

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » I had an MRI Post-op- question about results!!!