Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Traveling with Crohn's

12-17-2016, 05:29 AM   #181
DustyKat
Super Moderator

My son has just returned from a trip to Japan, the UK and the US.

I asked the GI about travelling and his only concern was if he was going to a third world country. If he had been he would have given in ‘just in case scripts' for antibiotics and prednisone to have filled prior to him leaving.

He is on Pentasa, Azathioprine and Humira. in Aus you are able to have 2 scripts of Humira filled (4 pens) without needing to seek special permission. He was in Japan for 2 weeks, staying with my daughter so storage was not a problem, the issue was when he left Japan and would be moving from place to place frequently and some of the accommodation did not have a fridge/freezer in the room. This was overcome by leaving Japan the day his Humira was due and then he was able to travel with the remaining pen out of the fridge for the 2 weeks prior to its administration.

Once you remove your HUMIRA Pen or prefilled syringe from the refrigerator, it must be used within 14 days. If not used within the 14 days, it must be discarded.
https://www.humira.com/global/freque...sked-questions
He had no issues in any of the countries he visited in regards to adverse effects from foods, in fact it was the opposite, he remained very well for the 6 weeks he was away.

There were also no issues with the medication he was carrying, however the GI did provide him with a letter to carry in case any issues should arise.
02-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #182
cmack

My Support Groups:

Hope all goes well.

cmack
02-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #183
AlisaCorw

thanks, great advice
04-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #184
Linds89

My Support Groups:
Definitely agree on packing more than enough meds. Also, I would go further and say, make sure to bring your meds in your carry-on if flying. one time, I only packed about two days worth in my carry-on thinking it wouldn't be a problem but the airline left my bag in England (lay-over) and it took a full week to get it back.

Also, if possible before a trip, if you are flaring or anticipating a potential flare, doing a little research of clinics or hospitals in the area you are staying is helpful. I ended up having severe nausea and vomiting in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. My friend/travel buddy ended up having to do some research while I rolled around in bed trying not to die. Turns out a lot of the area hospitals had terrible reviews and it was the little private clinics that had great reviews. We found a clinic with good reviews and had to walk 15 minutes to a clinic. Also, it was Christmas Day and they were open until like 2am. Ended up getting bloodwork, IV fluids/electrolytes, prescription meds (they had a great little pharmacy) and some Ambien so I could get some sleep. They also offered to make a follow-up appt two days later but I was already going to be gone from HCMC by then. Great experience and I'm just glad we did some research before just going to the hospital.

I have done extensive international traveling (especially to third-world/low-income countries) in the past year since diagnosis so if anyone has any questions, definitely feel free to PM me or just ask!

Currently on: Prednisone, Remicade, Pentasa, Nexium, Vitamin D3, Calcium, Folic Acid, Probiotics

Tried: Imuran (caused severe nausea/vomiting)
05-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #185
Catlover96

My Support Groups:
I am going on a trip to North Carolina less than a month after diagnosis of crohns. 10 hour car trip.... mildly terrified I will flare. Any advice?
05-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #186
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am going to Florida and in the same situation . I am nervous

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
05-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #187
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Which bit of flaring are you most worried about? Try to prepare for all eventualities as worrying about whether something will happen is likely to increase your stress levels and therefore the likelihood of something actually happening.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
05-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #188
Catlover96

My Support Groups:
Which bit of flaring are you most worried about? Try to prepare for all eventualities as worrying about whether something will happen is likely to increase your stress levels and therefore the likelihood of something actually happening.
Honestly the severe diarrhea that comes with a flare scares me. I get carsick anyway so I will be taking quite a few Dramamine to fend off nausea. They make me really tired and I am hoping that if I sleep the majority of the trip it will be easier.
05-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #189
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Having accidents

05-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #190
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Okay, that I know something about.

Map out the toilets or possible toilets along your route - service stations, cafes etc as well as public toilets. Like the Queen, take every possible opportunity to go to the toilet but don't strain.

The Australian Crohns and Colitis Association issues a card that says:

PLEASE HELP - CAN'T WAIT
Due to a medical condition, our member requires the urgent use of toilet facilities.
Thank you for your consideration.

Do you have anything like that available? It has enabled me to use toilets that are not usually not open to the public.

Not very elegant but invest in some plastic pants and underneath them wear incontinence pants. No-one but you will know that you are wearing them but they will help to build your confidence and reassure you that you can cope, as well as dealing with accidents.

Put something waterproof and preferably disposable on your car seat - old towel (I used to buy, for almost nothing, the ones that they sell as dog towels from the op/charity shop), then waterproof sheet (disposable blue hospital pads are good), then another old towel on top to sit on. If you have an accident, just roll the whole lot up and put in a large plastic bag, tie up and dispose of in a rubbish bin.

Use the next available handicapped toilet to really clean yourself up.

Carry lots of towels, plastic bags, wet ones, changes of clothing - better to have far too much that you don't use than not enough.

As we all know, stress has a very negative effect on our bowels. Being prepared won't stop you having an accident but might reduce the risk of it.
05-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #191
yikes

My Support Groups:
I would recommend staying away from refined sugar as well as dairy. Lots of people also tell me to cut out gluten, it doesn't seem to improve anything for me, but it might be different for other people. Refined sugar is what really makes my symptoms worse.
05-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #192
Grant

My Support Groups:
One more thing, I used to swear by water to keep from dehydrating, however my dr's informed me that while it does help all that you do is void it out (urinate) which means that you don't keep any of it in and it takes a whole lot of water to hydrate you. When if you sneak in a coke it has calories and helps your caloric intake which also means that you are holding more of it in. The carbonation also helps to ease your stomach and Coke is what works best for me. Also try not to eat the day before you travel, that way the stress from traveling doesn't have you running to the bathroom every 5 mins! Make sure to take baby wipes with you as well, if you do have multiple "meetings" in the restroom you don't want to get raw from the cheap TP! It's also great to have if you have an accident as well! Good luck and safe travels ~Kristy
Hi Kirsty, feel its important just to weigh in with a few comments. Being on Questran I find that any carbonated drinks has me peeing to a ridiculous degree, also the same consequences with coffee & even sometimes tea. So for me water is the way to go a lot of the time.
Also carbonated drinks react with the questran & make me very bloated. So I steer clear of them as much as possible tbh.
Best Wishes
Grant
2002 Laperotomy & Resection
2010 Laproscopic Ileocolic Resection
2012 Laproscopic Laperotomy & Resection
2013 diagnosed with a Fistula
Been on Azathioprine Pred & Methotrexate
Currently on:
Inflectra
Questran
Loperamide
Calcichew
Pentasa 4gm daily
Daily Multi Vitamins
3mthly B12 Jabs
06-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #193
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was wondering if the airlines are pretty accommodating for people who are gluten free and dairy free?
06-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #194
Grant

My Support Groups:
Hi Ron, think you have to email then a few weeks before travel. On long haul we've noticed that veggie meals are earmarked for certain passengers. Feel sure that provided you give them enough time they'll sort it out for you.
Rgds
Grant
06-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #195
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks,Grant.

10-18-2017, 01:20 AM   #196
MaryCherub

The Australian Crohns and Colitis Association issues a card that says: PLEASE HELP - CAN'T WAIT. Due to a medical condition, our member requires the urgent use of toilet facilities. Thank you for your consideration.
Last time I handed this card to someone, they spent so long looking at it, and showing it to others, and humming and hawing.......that I pooed myself in their office in the meantime.

Lucky I was wearing a pad. They then said no because it wasn't an "official" card, and I think it had Nestle advertising on (which did look odd and unofficial).

Tried to use this card several times and never worked as well, as I hoped it would.
10-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #197
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Here are two websites not by nestle that offer those cards.

https://www.bladderandbowel.org/help...cant-wait-card

https://www.crohnsandcolitis.com

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Traveling with Crohn's